• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which camino in January

Lirsy

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo, Norte, Francés, Volunteer Hospitalero.
Hi all!!

I plan to start a short camino (10 to 15 days) in a couple of weeks and I would need a little advice about which camino I can take.

I am looking for a camino/section that is not too crowded (easy thing in January!! :) ) and not too lonely (This is the problem!! ) and, if possible, not in the Camino Frances.

I was thinking about Portuges (starting in Porto) or Ingles + Fisterra, but probably they will be too lonely.

To define loonely, I would say that I consider a lonely camino when you have less than 10/15 pilgrims walking the same section.

Do you have any suggestion??

Thanks a lot for your help!!

P.S: If I can´t find any camino in these conditions ... I will start in Leon or Pamplona following the Camino Frances.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Maybe the northern from Bilbao or Santander to Gijon?

This would be perfect because I would finalize at my front door!!! :)

Do you have any idea about the number of pilgrims? If not I can always phone an albergue and ask for it.

Thanks a lot!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm afraid not, as I've never walked it in winter, but it's not too isolated, goes through lots of villages and towns. Might be cold and wet though at this time of the year. That's why I'm going to the Via de la Plata next week, to start in the warmest place.

Yeah I thought also about La Plata, but that camino scares me a little. I walk fast and 30/35 km/day as an average, but .... I like a lot stopping 10 min to take a coffee or a beer every 7/8 km. For what I saw, looks like in La Plata you have a lot of kilometer between towns, without any bar or restaurant :-(

Anyhow I still keep La Plata as a possible alternative. I have never walked that camino and I would really like to try it.

Hi, from experience :rolleyes:, I would steer clear of any coastal route in January.
Porto to Santiago on the Central Route would be perfect for what you are looking for.
Jill

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks a lot Jill ... I will start gathering info right now!!

Hi all!!

I plan to start a short camino (10 to 15 days) in a couple of weeks and I would need a little advice about which camino I can take.

I am looking for a camino/section that is not too crowded (easy thing in January!! :) ) and not too lonely (This is the problem!! ) and, if possible, not in the Camino Frances.

I was thinking about Portuges (starting in Porto) or Ingles + Fisterra, but probably they will be too lonely.

To define loonely, I would say that I consider a lonely camino when you have less than 10/15 pilgrims walking the same section.

P.S: If I can´t find any camino in these conditions ... I will start in Leon or Pamplona following the Camino Frances.

You would not be thinking of Camino de Madrid then as it is a solitary route. I suggest the Camino Frances, 2 weeks out of Santiago.

Good luck, Lirsy!

Tnx a lot Angelo!!

I intended to take other camino as far as I already completed the Frances, anyhow I keep this possibility open as it is the camino with more pilgrims (what is good in this season) and, no mater I already walked it, I really liked (when no crowded!!! je je :) )

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yeah!! I think at the very end I will take the Frances.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all!!

Hi Lirsy On the 22 January 2018 two of us are walking from Lisbon to Santiago de Compestela, i walked the Camino Frances in January 2017 starting on 06 01 the average temperature in most places was -5 and some terrible storms after Leon with a lot of snow Peter ps i walked on my own

I'd start in Porto. No big mountains to cross, good infrastructure (just about all albergues are open), no overly long stretches that MUST be walked - but enough small towns for you to choose for yourself more or less how far to walk each day.

Tnx a lot for the advice.

I will contact some albergue in VdlP in Oporto and the albergue in Aviles in Camino del Norte. Depending on how many pilgrims they tell me in each camnino I will decide VdlP, Norte or Frances.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back