• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Camino: Portuguese, Norte or Primitivo?

Pierre Julian

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Ingles, VdP, San Salvador, Aragonese & Northern. Sections of Portuguese & Mozarabic.
I have 3 weeks from the end of March and am trying to decide which Camino to walk, so would be glad of any ideas or thoughts. I'm thinking starting at either: a, Santander and doing more Norte; b, Oviedo and doing the Primitiva; or c, starting somewhere on the Portuguese, maybe Lisbon or Porto. For each of them trying to get as near to Santiago as possible. I have walked the complete Frances from SJP, and sections of it a number of times, and also walked Bilbao to Santander. I'm always tempted to go back there again, but think it would be good to try something new. I'm not keen on massive crowds, but do like to meet friendly people, and love scenery and quiet villages and history. Also I'm trying to do it on a budget, and found the section of the Norte last time expensive (food and accomodation). Any ideas would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Portuguese is cheap. From Porto on you mostly merge from one village to the next.
Primitivo is not expensive - and it has the most awesome scenery.
Haven't done the Norte. Have heard it's hilly - that often also means scenic!

You appear to be well acquainted with Spain, try Portugal! Lisboa - Santarem - Tomar - Coimbra - Porto all intriguing. Porto to SdC is easy and should you find time hop a bus from Barcelos for Braga and the Bom Jesus shrine! Half an hour ride each way a true highlight. It is also possible to work in a side trip to the shrine in Fatima - I cannot share any good experiences from ther, quite the opposite, but others have differing opinions. The Portuguese are a warm and welcoming people, good food; the language is ... unfortunately...impossible! You can usually read Portuguese since it is similar to Spanish and has Latin roots, but understanding when spoken? Good luck with that! Beware the Poruguese driver!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the Portugues last month from Porto. As @scruffy1 says it makes a interesting change from Spain. The scenery is quite varied but not dramatic. If you are looking for a quieter route with more challenging walking and more impressive scenery then I would choose the Primitivo. Big hills, lots of up and down, pretty testing on the knees. But well worth it. Of the Caminos I have walked it is certainly my favorite experience.

Thanks all of you for replying, I'm thinking about the Portuguese now, it would be warmer (especially from Lisbon) and something new. I will do some more research. Would there be many people walking it at this time of the year?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Pierre,

Three weeks is probably long enough to combine the Norte and Primitivo. You could start in Santander/Santillana then switch to the Primitivo just after Villaviciosa.
Might still be a bit muddy at this time of year though.

Happy trails

Andy

Even more than Canterbury to Rome?

Difficult to choose - very different experiences. 10 days on the Primitivo, 66 days on the Via Francigena. Cool spring weather in Spain. 38C a couple of days in France :-( Parts of the Via Francigena were wonderful but others tedious and frustrating. I know that I will not walk the whole route again. I can easily see myself returning to walk the Primitivo again. Definitely my favorite Spanish/Portuguese camino though :)

Last edited:
For stunning scenery, quieter walk and a physical challenge, Norte/primitivo any time, in my view.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks. I'm weighing up that the weather may not be great on the Primitiva, but very tempted by the scenery. Has anyone any thoughts on walking from Lisbon? I'm guessing it might be warmer down there and I don't mind if I don't get to Santiago. Would there be likely to be many pilgrims? Are the albergues likely to be very expensive?

Can't help you with the Lisbon route but if you're after warmer weather you could do a fair old chunk of the VdlP in 3 weeks. It's great (and inexpensive).

One more option. If you are tempted by the Primitivo scenery, why not walk from Leon to Oviedo (on the Salvador, more great mountain
scenery) and continue on the Primitivo from there.
Never walked from Lisboa (one day I will) but did walk from Porto. It was great as well (and if you add SdC to Muxia it will fill up your 3 weeks).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Can't help you with the Lisbon route but if you're after warmer weather you could do a fair old chunk of the VdlP in 3 weeks. It's great (and inexpensive).
Thanks, where would you recommend starting from? Are there many pilgrims along it?

Thanks, where would you recommend starting from? Are there many pilgrims along it?
VDLP is the original silver transport route, linking northern Spain to the Mediteranian, and offers some of the best ancient Roman historical sites... I would start in Merida and walk to Salamanca and possible Zamora also and then take the Sanabres route to sdc. You can skip sections that are not of interest by taking a bus/train.

I abandoned the vdlp after a week due to intense heat in May. If the rest of the vdlp is similar to the 1st week, prepared for solitude, longer walks, relatively flat terrain without any cafes for breaks. One has to be self sufficient, carry all your food, water and snacks for the entire day.

April is the best time to do the vdlp. Here is a staging/map of vdlp and you can find an accommodation list in the resource section also. I attach a brief guide here.

Attachments

• ViadelaPlataGuide.pdf
    87.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I would just start in Sevilla and see how far you get. You might reach Salamanca.
Don't think you'll be alone in the spring.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Walk the Primitivo.It is great buth noth that difficult as much people say.Try it!!!

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have decided to walk the Portuguese from Lisbon to Porto as I now have only two weeks and want to try something new and hopefully get a bit of sunshine and warmth. My aim is to do the Primitivo or Plata in a couple of months. I just bought my plane ticket an hour ago!

If anyone can give me any more helpful advice on walking Lisbon to Porto I would be grateful. Also, if anyone is thinking of doing it after the 31st March, be good to hear from you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And you too, enjoy

I start my 3th Camino at 31 March in Sevilla

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If anyone can give me any more helpful advice on walking Lisbon to Porto I would be grateful. Also, if anyone is thinking of doing it after the 31st March, be good to hear from you.

I walked from Lisbon in 2014 and posted to my blog every day with useful info on accommodation. You are welcome to take a look - see link below. Apparently there is a new albergue 20 kms out of Lisbon. Take a look at the http://www.vialusitana.org website.
Bom Caminho!

I walked from Lisbon in 2014 and posted to my blog every day with useful info on accommodation. You are welcome to take a look - see link below. Apparently there is a new albergue 20 kms out of Lisbon. Take a look at the http://www.vialusitana.org website.
Bom Caminho!
Thanks, can you send me a link to the blog please? I would love to look at it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks both for your replies. What a coincidence, I was reading your blog last night Magwooe, as a break between writing for a uni deadline. It is very informative and helpful, I will spend more time with it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back