• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Camino to choose?

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Camino Frances,
2019 C. Portuguese (inland).
Yesterday I picked up this beautifully illustrated book for a song, $25 AUD, and having glanced through it I’m now torn between the Camino Frances for the second time, the Portuguese Coastal (this time) instead of the central route, and Via de la Plata for the first time. We all know each has it’s magic. Is the Via very difficult? What’s the greatest challenge on that one?
Planning for April and May 2022.

C514EDE3-5056-47F1-A78D-C2FC4124A292.jpeg A4C80300-FC06-441C-8FB1-86A88FB8456F.jpeg

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think the Via de la Plata is my favourite, although the Francés has a special place in my heart, the routes in France are very beautiful, the Norte, the Portuguese and the Madrid have their charms! Like my grandchildren, not a bad one among them imo.

The greatest challenge of the Plata? Its length. It is a really long walk. Quite a few of those who started with me in Seville did not stay the course because of injury. But for me that was one of the things I liked the most. The long relatively flat stretches at the start, meant that I was pretty fit by the time I reached the mountains (I took the Sanabrés). Many times I felt I was flying, when the earth rolled past and my spirits soared. The length and the rather "bare bones" nature of the Plata I think contributes to forming bonds with other walkers. Over such a long walk people came and went, groups formed and dissolved, but I made several lasting friendships - and have since walked other paths with some of those friends.

It also felt so essentially Spanish, the real heart of the country. Culturally of course there are some outstanding cities.

I went in early spring, and I think that is the ideal time, walking with the season. The wildflowers were extraordinary.

I think the Via de la Plata is my favourite, although the Francés has a special place in my heart, the routes in France are very beautiful, the Norte, the Portuguese and the Madrid have their charms! Like my grandchildren, not a bad one among them imo.

The greatest challenge of the Plata? Its length. It is a really long walk. Quite a few of those who started with me in Seville did not stay the course because of injury. But for me that was one of the things I liked the most. The long relatively flat stretches at the start, meant that I was pretty fit by the time I reached the mountains (I took the Sanabrés). Many times I felt I was flying, when the earth rolled past and my spirits soared. The length and the rather "bare bones" nature of the Plata I think contributes to forming bonds with other walkers. Over such a long walk people came and went, groups formed and dissolved, but I made several lasting friendships - and have since walked other paths with some of those friends.

It also felt so essentially Spanish, the real heart of the country. Culturally of course there are some outstanding cities.

I went in early spring, and I think that is the ideal time, walking with the season. The wildflowers were extraordinary.
Thank you so much, Kanga! Although Via is not my first choice, you made think again with your awesome expience......

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yesterday I picked up this beautifully illustrated book for a song, $25 AUD, and having glanced through it I’m now torn between the Camino Frances for the second time, the Portuguese Coastal (this time) instead of the central route, and Via de la Plata for the first time. We all know each has it’s magic. Is the Via very difficult? What’s the greatest challenge on that one?

View attachment 112616 View attachment 112617
Hi Jimmy
I walked the costal route in April 2019. It is beautiful and not overly demanding. However, be prepared for the storms that come in off the Atlantic. The days it rained were some of the wettest I experienced on my Caminos and the sunny days were a dream but I guess that is the same anywhere. When you arrive in Caminha take one of the taxi boats across the estuary to A Garda rather than the ferry. It is an experience in itself. Vigo is the most soul-destroying town to walk in and out of and the signage is not great. However, the old town and harbour make it worthwhile.
Buen Camino
Vince

View attachment 112616 View attachment 112617
If you were looking for something shorter than I can very heartily recommend the Primitivo. Beautiful countryside - more history than you can take in - and very friendly people. I know that it is shorter but it was the most physically demanding one that I have done. The Via is top of my list when the Covid bug is eventually beaten and the closed municipal and Church albergues re-open. I have very itchy feet. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Is the Via very difficult? What’s the greatest challenge on that one?
The greatest challenge of the Plata? Its length. It is a really long walk.
No, the Via is not very difficult. However, as @Kanga mentions (and I agree 100% with her comments) the length of the overall walk makes it inconvenient for many people. Note that we are not talking about daily stages, which some people mistakenly think must be long. At least in non-Covid times it is not necessary to walk many long stages.

There are several good points where one can start - Seville, Merida, Salamanca - depending on the time you have available.

You can’t get much more of a contrast (in Spain) than between the Primitivo and the Plata. One is green and gorgeous and mountainous and short - and the other is a long walk across the great high plains of Spain, following an ancient Roman road, then into the mountains and softer green hills that girdle Santiago.
I’m going back this year to walk the Primitivo again, but the choice is dictated by those with whom I will be walking - it will be a bit of a tourist walk.
Two very different personalities, the Primitivo puts it all on show. The Plata unfolds gradually and demands my full commitment.
I am sounding too ridiculous. Not enough real time walking!

You can’t get much more of a contrast (in Spain) than between the Primitivo and the Plata. One is green and gorgeous and mountainous and short - and the other is a long walk across the great high plains of Spain, following an ancient Roman road, then into the mountains and softer green hills that girdle Santiago.
I’m going back this year to walk the Primitivo again, but the choice is dictated by those with whom I will be walking - it will be a bit of a tourist walk.
Two very different personalities, the Primitivo puts it all on show. The Plata unfolds gradually and demands my full commitment.
I am sounding too ridiculous. Not enough real time walking!
Do both!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey Lexicos
Long time since I walked VDLP. It was my second camino, after the CF. And it was special. They said then that it was like the CF had been 20 years earlier - still rough around the edges.
I struggled at first, until fortune coalesced me into a lovely band of pilgs from Merida on. Someone along the way, when we were apparently in the middle of nowhere, described it as 'camino profundo' - a play on the term 'España profunda'.
My view, FWIW, is that I'd save it for your Third Camino.
My pitch is for Tunnel/Vasco route (from Irun) onto CF at Burgos (tho' I have only done the option to Sto Domingo), across meseta, San Salvador from Leon to Oviedo, Primitivo to Lugo, green route to Sobrado dos Monxes, back onto CF, Santiago, Finisterre....😶‍🌫️
Cheers, tom

My pitch is for Tunnel/Vasco route (from Irun) onto CF at Burgos (tho' I have only done the option to Sto Domingo), across meseta, San Salvador from Leon to Oviedo, Primitivo to Lugo, green route to Sobrado dos Monxes, back onto CF, Santiago,
Into Burgos is wonderful.
After that, you can also walk to Ponferrada on the Francés, then take the Invierno into Santiago.
A bit less gnarly than SS/Primitivo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks Tom. It sounds like you’ve done a lot more than me. They’re all sounding pretty special. The VDLP would be my third actually and the more I read here the more I’m thinking it’s the one to do. I’m tempted to take the time and do them all to be honest! Anyway, based on the comments received here to date, I think I’ll take it to the next stage and look closely at the Via and exactly what’s involved. I prefer to do a long walk, a less popular pilgrimage and the Roman colours are a very attractive feature. I also love Seville and starting there is very appealing. My biggest concern is accommodation. I can handle everything else. Many thanks for your suggestions Tom, and fellow pilgrims. I will weight it all up. I have 5 months to sort myself out.

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice to date.
Step 1 complete.
I’ve ordered a guide book for the Via and the Sanabres.
Step 2.
And bought a new pair of hiking runners today.
Step 3.
And enquired about flights…

My Camino has begun!

I had no trouble getting accommodation on the Via, mostly in albergues. I and another girl also shared private accommodation on the early parts of the Sanabrés. That was pre-Covid, so the situation with accommodation may have changed a lot. I am hopeful that by spring next year it will be OK.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
HI Jimmy - there is a lot of information about the VdelP and Sanabres on this thread (link below). It gives plenty of options for stages and information on accommodation. I've found it both interesting and useful for our VdeP which we plan to begin from Seville on 1 April.

It is detailed - (very detailed, as the name of the thread says) - but as you have plenty of lead time ...

Mozarabe/VdlP/Sanabres was my first in 2008. I started from Malaga early April.

It was WONDERFUL!!!!!

I was 53 y.o. and had never done anything like this since my long gone youth.

It was not particularly difficult for me, though a tough first week due to my poor fitness - I did no training in advance. Survival level Spanish helped a lot, particularly on the Mozarabe.

I have done a lot of Caminos since that. The only one that was better was Rome to Santiago; a real adventure!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back