• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Camino would you do next?

JohnLloyd

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2018), Português (2019), Inglés (2022)
In 2018, I walked the Francés from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port in the autumn.

Then in 2019, I walked the Português from Porto in May.

In 2020, I wanted to walk the Francés again, but in the spring, to see how the experience compared.

Something got in the way, as it did for us all.

Now it feels like a good time to think about walking again.

So my question is which route to walk next?

Being an Englishman, I'm drawn to the Camino Inglés. But I've heard mixed opinions about that route.

I'm thinking about walking in April or May.

What would you recommend?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In 2018, I walked the Francés from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port in the autumn.

Then in 2019, I walked the Português from Porto in May.

In 2020, I wanted to walk the Francés again, but in the spring, to see how the experience compared.

Something got in the way, as it did for us all.

Now it feels like a good time to think about walking again.

So my question is which route to walk next?

Being an Englishman, I'm drawn to the Camino Inglés. But I've heard mixed opinions about that route.

I'm thinking about walking in April or May.

What would you recommend?
Were you happy with the timing on the Portugues route in May? I'm considering going over to do a Camino and am considering it late June early July (from Porto...doesn't seem like it'd be long)

What do you feel? Is a way calling you?
How many weeks you will have?

I try to follow my inner feelings and look what I need most.

Dennis

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Were you happy with the timing on the Portugues route in May? I'm considering going over to do a Camino and am considering it late June early July (from Porto...doesn't seem like it'd be long)
It was a fine time of year to walk, weather-wise.

But it didn't really feel like a Camino until I crossed into Spain, for some reason.

Don't get me wrong - it was another great experience and I met some fabulous people. But it lacked the special feeling I'd felt on the French Way until crossing the bridge between Tui and Valenca.

Watching Effren González on Le Chemin du Puy in southern France right now (YouTube)….about the same length as the Frances and finishes in St Jean Pied de Port…..looks idyllic!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Ingles is my preferred shorter Camino.
I love starting in Ferrol.
Pontedeume and Betanzos are wonderful towns to spend the afternoon.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
a nice short stretch is definitely Ourense - Santiago! ...and the thermal springs a great opportunity for a cozy warm bath!

How much time do you want to spend walking? That's my first question when considering choice of Camino. If your thinking about a week, then the Ingles is a good choice and there's no sense in recommending the Madrid or the VDLP. If you are thinking about a month, then the Ingles is going to leave you with a lot of extra time on your hands.

How much time do you want to spend walking? That's my first question when considering choice of Camino. If your thinking about a week, then the Ingles is a good choice and there's no sense in recommending the Madrid or the VDLP. If you are thinking about a month, then the Ingles is going to leave you with a lot of extra time on your hands.
I am not recommending the VdlP (either is my comment senseless), just the last 100km to Santiago in case he looks for a shorter version, because he mentioned Inglés.
By the way Sanabrés isn't VdlP! VdlP ends in Astorga. ;)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am not recommending the VdlP (either is my comment senseless), just the last 100km to Santiago in case he looks for a shorter version, because he mentioned Inglés.
By the way Sanabrés isn't VdlP! VdlP ends in Astorga. ;)
I wasn't suggesting that you were recommending the VDLP. I picked it as an example a Camino somewhat longer than the Ingles.

I'm leaning towards the English Way, but I'm open to suggestions!
I haven't done it yet....but I am planning and telling people that I wish to walk the Primitivo in later September 2023. It's about 13 days, if my health holds out. I don't have to try to learn Portuguese on top of my poquito español.

Depends very much on what you're looking for, I think.

I would go with your original plan - the Francés in the Spring. I had previously walked it in the Summer and early Autumn, so for my third go around on the Francés I wanted to see the landscape in the Spring, and I was not disappointed.

20190526_173509.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back