• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Camino?

Susan B Johnson

PuraVida
Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
My family and I will be walking the Camino (all adults) in May 2017. I have already done Camino and Finsterra. I would like to try something new. Our criteria are these:

1) few people
2) lots of trees
3) mountains or hills are preferable to flat land

Would the Camino del Norte meet this criteria?

Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My family and I will be walking the Camino (all adults) in May 2017. I have already done Camino and Finsterra. I would like to try something new. Our criteria are these:

1) few people
2) lots of trees

Thanks!
Hola, Susan,

Haven't walk Norte but this year I was on Via de Bayona. Meets all of your critieria although a bit too much asphalt on days 2-4 maybe and a bit too flat for last two stages (for you that is)...
http://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos/59/via-de-bayona/

But all in all there's Salvador (which I've also walked this summer) and Primitivo. But I would especially recommend Camino de Invierno (https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/categories/camino-de-invierno.46/) from Ponferrada to A Laxe where it connects to Camino Sanabres (off-branch of Via de la Plata) which is beautiful Camino with the warmest people I have encountered ever. @peregrina2000 could tell you more about stats but I think around 200 people (officially) walk this route every year. And you have lots of albergues and/or private accommodation possibillities there.

Ultreia!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

1) few people
2) lots of trees

Thanks!

Hi Susan,
I'm going to assume the Camino you've done was Frances followed by Finisterre. Big assumption, but odds are on my side so
1) Norte will have less pilgrims than the Frances; but be aware the feel is entirely different (am I channeling Anemone?o_O), it is not just a less crowded Frances. The Norte is a route that goes through beautiful beach towns and resort areas, and major cities--all of which have a lot of their economy based on something other than pilgrims. So you can't expect the "welcome pilgrim" mat to be out at every turn. That said, when I arrived in Zarautz in blinding rain, the 'albergue'--a youth hostal--had a completo sign. I walked in (after removing my boots and wet gear) and asked if they could help me find other lodging. The manager insisted they had room, and gave me a room to myself that was warm and cozy, all linens included...stamping my book and wishing me a Buen Camino. There is less infrastructure for pilgrims, if you go in low season the albergues may not be open, in high season it's less crowded than the Frances, but with less albergues you may still have an albergue crisis:eek:. If you want less pilgrims and are willing to stay in pensions, etc then this won't be a problem. If you mean less people over all...this is a tourist area, and passing through the tourist towns and cities you will see a lot of people, many of whom have no interest in the Camino. I cursed my guidebook and the arrows in Portugalate, I was positive they were purposely making me walk though unbelievable crowds. I say this as someone who loved my norte experience (more on that later)
2) you walk through some forests but you also do a fair amount of road walking and walking through suburbs and industrial areas around the large cities on the route. see many arguments, er, discussions of the percent on many norte threads. I didn't walk the norte looking for trees, just more solitude and some water and found both...I also noticed there were trees. and mud. a lot of mud.
3) I think there was a fair amount of hills in spots, but it won't be like wandering in an alpine forest. Some trees, some hills, some beaches, a fair amount of pavement, more beaches, some cities etc. If you read through a guide (I used the CSJ) it will give you an idea of how much trees, hills, and pavement to expect.

I don't know how you felt about the 'pilgrim experience' if any on your last Camino...this is definitely not the Frances. I walked in Apr/May, and often didn't see anyone, or the occasional other pilgrim except at night (disclaimer, I like to walk in the morning, starting around 0700...@dougfitz please don't hate me I never woke anyone up). Since there weren't a lot of us, we noticed each other when walking though towns (I had people call out to me in plazas more on the Norte than any other I walked)...but there weren't many solo females on the norte so that may have increased the odds of being noticed). If I stayed in a hotel/pension (which I did often), I might not see pilgrims. Many pilgrims did not speak any or much English. I was OK with all of this (in fact preferred it), but it is something to consider. There were many times I could not get directions to the Camino because no one knew (or probably cared) where it was--it didn't seem to be a priority for local people on the Norte, which is fair. In Apr/May it rained...a lot...like all the time. I don't love the rain, but took rain gear and it was fine. I loved the food (I feel safe in saying if we ranked Caminos by food, the Norte would be first). I loved trying to speak Spanish. I loved the beaches and the deer and the bunnies. I loved the art and the history and the churches and monasteries. I loved the solitary interspersed with meeting locals, and other pilgrims. While many locals may not have much interest (and especially a financial interest) in the Camino, the local friends of the Camino, or those who have walked and live in the area, are very enthusiastic when they meet a pilgrim (in my experience)... the ones I met went out of their way to help me. Some of the biggest mistakes I made was early on the Norte not listening when a local tried to tell me to forget the way the guide was sending me. People welcomed me to their local churches for Mass, even if it wasn't a 'Pilgrims' Mass." I still remember with deep gratitude one woman, when I asked her if I could pay for my cafe y tortilla in her bar with lots of coins because coins were heavy (and by then I had a bag full--sometimes I gave up trying to understand my bill and would just push Euros over and scoop up the change)...she insisted on changing all of the coins into bills for me, carefully and slowly counting it out for me...and my night at the monastery in Ziortza was my favorite of all of my Camino nights.

I hope at least some of this helps
edit: if you will be walking as a group of adults, this may help any 'loneliness' issues, and make staying in pensions/hotels very cost effective.
Buen Camino

Last edited:

1) few people
2) lots of trees

Thanks!
Have a think about Italy - the Via Francigena is the pilgrimage route to Rome. Walking through Tuscany certainly meets all your criteria

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Piedmont Way.
Lonely, farms and little villages, little known romanic churches and monasteries, beautiful landscapes, friendly people. A little gem. It becomes hilly after Pamiers, and there are serious climbs after Saint Bertrand de Comminges. In Oloron you can turn left to Somport, then Aragones and connect to the Frances in Puente la Reina; or go straight to SJPP, then Roncesvalles (or take the GR10 and connect with Norte in Hendaye).
Note : I did only Lourdes-SJPP; I have made the "tourist thing" around Pamiers, SB Comminges. It looks tempting...

Last edited:

1) few people
2) lots of trees

Thanks!
The Camino de Invierno every day of the week. It meets all your requirements and is spectacular, amazing, wonderful, and every other similar adjective. Ask peregrina2000 or Kinky One and they'll agree.

I've walked it twice and I'll be going back next year for my third helping.

few people? this year I met my first pilgrim on the way out of Quiroga on the 5th day.

lots of trees? lots and lots and lots, although there are also a couple of stages with fewer (down from Las Médulas towards Puente de Domingo Flores, for example).

mountains or hills? very little in the way of flat walking, save for around O Barco de Valdeorras. Some of the climbs and descents are tough going, but not impossible. The walk down to Belesar and up the other side of the river to Chantada is incredibly scenic.

The Camino de Invierno every day of the week. It meets all your requirements and is spectacular, amazing, wonderful, and every other similar adjective. Ask peregrina2000 or Kinky One and they'll agree.

I've walked it twice and I'll be going back next year for my third helping.

few people? this year I met my first pilgrim on the way out of Quiroga on the 5th day.

lots of trees? lots and lots and lots, although there are also a couple of stages with fewer (down from Las Médulas towards Puente de Domingo Flores, for example).

mountains or hills? very little in the way of flat walking, save for around O Barco de Valdeorras. Some of the climbs and descents are tough going, but not impossible. The walk down to Belesar and up the other side of the river to Chantada is incredibly scenic.

I agree completely with Charrito (and for more info, look in the Resources section and you will see a handy little guide that reflects the contributions of many many Invierno veterans. It will give you a good idea about accommodation, distances, stages, food, etc etc.).

It was on the Invierno that I was first introduced to the beauty of chestnut trees, and their glorious smell when in flower. There are oodles and oodles of these majestic and very resilient trees, I love them.

Very good food, outstanding local wine, very affordable accommodations (though there are few alberges, the pensión situation is quite good), lovely rivers (Minho and Sil are the showstoppers), and a real Camino feeling (which I can't really put into words). It is not as long as the norte, but depending on how far you want to walk you could add on the Madrid (Madrid to Sahagún and then the Francés to Ponferrada, where the Invierno starts), or the Olvidado from Bilbao to Ponferrada (another beautiful untraveled Camino with improved markings and lots to enjoy). Good luck withthtis hard decision! Buen camino, Laurie

Here's another vote for starting in Le Puy, or even further east like Germany or Switzerland. The scenery is superb!

My 2 cents would be the camino primativo however if you havent been to europe before regarding history etc perhaps you would like
El frances los arcos puente de la reina great places for anglo people like me as im irish,,,,mountains etc the gr 11 or 10 are the best wilderness routes in south europe which would meet your expectations but really tough and not sociable! However join with camino in sant jeon or before...one way or another u will have a wonderfull time

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The only one I did was the Primitivo and I recommend this to everyone....The presa in Grandas is stunning and Hospitales made me cry...

Piedmont Way.
Lonely, farms and little villages, little known romanic churches and monasteries, beautiful landscapes, friendly people. A little gem. It becomes hilly after Pamiers, and there are serious climbs after Saint Bertrand de Comminges. In Oloron you can turn left to Somport, then Aragones and connect to the Frances in Puente la Reina; or go straight to SJPP, then Roncesvalles (or take the GR10 and connect with Norte in Hendaye).
Note : I did only Lourdes-SJPP; I have made the "tourist thing" around Pamiers, SB Comminges. It looks tempting...
Thanks for sharing this. Are there pilgrim auberges along the Way?

Thanks for sharing this. Are there pilgrim auberges along the Way?
Yes. Not so many as in the Frances, but there are.
As far as I know, there is no guide in English. There is a print guide in French, see here
Some guides are online. For the profile of stages, I found Gronze's very good.
There is a list of albergues here
The ACIR association in Toulouse send you its guide upon request, by e-mail. Go here (lots of online info, too) click in "Demandez notre documentation détaillée" and fill out the format.
General problem: guides are not always updated. For example, the municipal albergue in Mauleon does not appear in many guides. Also, many places listed as "Donativo" have currently a set tariff.
It is a inescapable transaction: every time you look for a Camino that is quieter, peaceful, you get also a less "domesticated" way, with not updated info and less services to the pilgrim. But don't worry, many pilgrims walk this way every year without major problems. Sometimes, you ask in a stage about the next one, or share tips with fellow walkers at dinner. Or just improvise on the spot, as in the older times.
There was another thread on the Piedmont, see here
(Edited) I just found this list of auberges. Looks good.

Last edited:
Yes. Not so many as in the Frances, but there are.
As far as I know, there is no guide in English. There is a print guide in French, see here
Some guides are online. For the profile of stages, I found Gronze's very good.
There is a list of albergues here
The ACIR association in Toulouse send you its guide upon request, by e-mail. Go here (lots of online info, too) click in "Demandez notre documentation détaillée" and fill out the format.
General problem: guides are not always updated. For example, the municipal albergue in Mauleon does not appear in many guides. Also, many places listed as "Donativo" have currently a set tariff.
It is a inescapable transaction: every time you look for a Camino that is quieter, peaceful, you get also a less "domesticated" way, with not updated info and less services to the pilgrim. But don't worry, many pilgrims walk this way every year without major problems. Sometimes, you ask in a stage about the next one, or share tips with fellow walkers at dinner. Or just improvise on the spot, as in the older times.
There was another thread on the Piedmont, see here
Thank you! - I can read french (slowly). I studied at the Institut Catholique de Paris in 1985, but I've forgotten a lot! (I was happy to be able to get through a few very short conversations in Paris last April.) I like not to have everything planned out when I walk. Thanks so much for information! Bon chemin!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree completely with Charrito (and for more info, look in the Resources section and you will see a handy little guide that reflects the contributions of many many Invierno veterans. It will give you a good idea about accommodation, distances, stages, food, etc etc.).

It was on the Invierno that I was first introduced to the beauty of chestnut trees, and their glorious smell when in flower. There are oodles and oodles of these majestic and very resilient trees, I love them.

Very good food, outstanding local wine, very affordable accommodations (though there are few alberges, the pensión situation is quite good), lovely rivers (Minho and Sil are the showstoppers), and a real Camino feeling (which I can't really put into words). It is not as long as the norte, but depending on how far you want to walk you could add on the Madrid (Madrid to Sahagún and then the Francés to Ponferrada, where the Invierno starts), or the Olvidado from Bilbao to Ponferrada (another beautiful untraveled Camino with improved markings and lots to enjoy). Good luck withthtis hard decision! Buen camino, Laurie

Is the "Invierno" an actual route, or simply the season in which you walk it?

The Invierno is definitely a camino route which avoids the mountain passes and hence winter snows of Foncebadon and O Cebreiro. Thus it was so named since it is a more practical route for winter walking. Nevertheless it is very pleasant at any time of the year!

Check out this Forum topic for much more info/tips re the Camino de Invierno.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-de-invierno.79/

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back