• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Camino?

Rich1

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (5/15)
Frances & Muxia (2016-18)
Camino from Madrid (9/18)
Frances to Burgos (9/19)
TBC
I'm sure this comes up a lot but looking for advice on which Camino to do next.

Did the CF on my own in 2015. Walking CF with my wife in 2 week blocks over 3 yrs - St Jean to Burgos last year, and on to Ponferrada recently.

I love the CF, both on my own and with company - the atmosphere, the villages, the churches and pilgrim masses. I find it a very spiritual/religious experince which is why I do it. Quite happy with my own company through the day ( I tend to move quickly) but always enjoy that camaraderie in the evening - especially a communal meal.

I have the chance to return again in August for enough time to do any of the caminos

So which do I do? Fancy doing something different but will it still like a pilgrimage? Will it give me that religious experience?

I do walk in the Lake District usually on my own and am more than happy with my own company. Distance and terrain is no issue. Don't want too much tarmac.

Have considered something like Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo. Everyone says Via de Plata is too hot in August.
Or just do CF again?

Views/advice welcome ;);)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Is August the only available time? If so, that is going to be tough. I agree the VdlP would be very hot if began in Seville. You could start farther north, Salamanca would be no warmer than Madrid. The Norte would be full of tourists. The Frances would be very busy (at least the last 100km). I think you might be on the right track with a combination of lesser known, shorter routes that could be combined. We can only offer our view, it is your decision. Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Never been on CF in August but i'm sure it would be to busy and hot for my taste....
Out of the ones you mentioned ,would definitely pick the Camino de Madrid,perfect for a two-weeks time slot...

Why limit yourself to Spain? You could walk from Le Puy in France. Or you could walk in Bavaria, which has several routes (Tillyschantz-Nuremburg-Ulm-Konstanz, or west from Nuremburg, or south from Munich). Both would be cooler than Spain. Switzerland is likely to be far too expensive in August. And if you're really looking for cooler climes, there's always the St Olav's Way in Norway.

August in Spain, distance and terrain not an issue, hmmm . . . I would consider the Norte.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm sure this comes up a lot but looking for advice on which Camino to do next.

Did the CF on my own in 2015. Walking CF with my wife in 2 week blocks over 3 yrs - St Jean to Burgos last year, and on to Ponferrada recently.

I love the CF, both on my own and with company - the atmosphere, the villages, the churches and pilgrim masses. I find it a very spiritual/religious experince which is why I do it. Quite happy with my own company through the day ( I tend to move quickly) but always enjoy that camaraderie in the evening - especially a communal meal.

I have the chance to return again in August for enough time to do any of the caminos

So which do I do? Fancy doing something different but will it still like a pilgrimage? Will it give me that religious experience?

I do walk in the Lake District usually on my own and am more than happy with my own company. Distance and terrain is no issue. Don't want too much tarmac.

Have considered something like Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo. Everyone says Via de Plata is too hot in August.
Or just do CF again?

Views/advice welcome ;);)

Primitivo. Vdlp in august crazy. Finished month ago and it was very hot then all the way. Lots of albergues closes july august i was told.

We can only offer our view, it is your decision.

Absolutely correct...I'm sure the right way will present itself :)

Why limit yourself to Spain? You could walk from Le Puy in France. Or you could walk in Bavaria, which has several routes (Tillyschantz-Nuremburg-Ulm-Konstanz, or west from Nuremburg, or south from Munich). Both would be cooler than Spain. Switzerland is likely to be far too expensive in August. And if you're really looking for cooler climes, there's always the St Olav's Way in Norway.

Had considered Le Puy, but from my reading I reckon the costs would be much more and many people talk about the need to book ahead continually. Other sound interesting

I'm also walking all August this year and am planning on doing the Primitivo, extended to Muxia / Fisterra. With a couple of extra rest days in Lugo and SdC that will work out to a good 3 weeks plus of walking.
I actually wanted to do the Frances again, but Mrs noq wants a change of scenery.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Mrs R and I will be going o Muxia/Finsterre next year so that will have to wait.

I guess my concern is that whatever route, it still "feels" right - that it still has that pilgrimage feel rather than just being a scenic walk. However, i think that may be more to do with personal approach.

I recommend the Piedmont way, in France, especially after St Bertrand de Comminges.
It goes along the Pyrinees, so it is cooler and more shaded than other routes. Less crowded, too.
And the landscape is magnificent, with some moderately challenging stages.

Don't be put off the VDLP because of he heat. Spain in August is hot everywhere and the solitude of the route is very spiritual

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Don't be put off the VDLP because of he heat. Spain in August is hot everywhere and the solitude of the route is very spiritual

You're a brave man! :) I started the VdlP in June and the temperatures in Andalucia and Extremadura were already much higher than they usually are on the Camino francés, let alone the North of Spain :confused:
The problem is also lack of available water and what you take with you gets hot really quickly.

I walked in July 2015.It was great. Yes it's hot and I'm northern European but it's beautiful. Really, there were only a couple of days where water was an issue. Again, the solitude was wonderful and the locals were very welcoming of the foreign fool. Most of the villages in Andalucia/ Extremadura have municipal swimming pools- gratis for pilgrims.

Maybe look at St. Francis from Assisi to Rome?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am wondering why nobody has suggested the Camino Portugues yet? You could 'tailor' your starting point to the time you have available and if you choose the coastal route it shouldn't be too hot. Yes, it will be busy, but a lot of the routes are busy in August. Also, many Portuguese people do speak English ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back