• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

which camino?

lesley&andrea

Hi
I've just joined the forum as the advice seems great!
I'm planning to go to santiago with a couple of friends first two weeks in july or last week in august and first in september..which do you suggest..we will have two weeks and will be arriving from Italy where we live so I expect we need to consider two days travelling ....
We originally started off thinking about the camino del norte but have discovered we would need longer....
what would you suggest?
a)camino del norte starting from ribadeo
b)camino primitivo
c)camino ingles
I'd love to go to finisterre as well....is the 3 day walk worth while?
we do quite a lot of walking even in the mountains but usually on day trips (6 hours), i.e. without a rucksack....
as it is the anno compostellano I expect there will be more people than usual and we would like to avoid the crowds as much as possible and find the most scenic route....
thank you for your help :D
lesley

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi there!

Might I suggest that you consult with the following links - they will give you a better idea of what you can do in two weeks:

1. mundicamino.com (each route is divided into stages and you can easily plan out how many days you need)

2. csj.org.uk (lots of information, can order guides to routes, can download Camino Ingles online)

3. On this forum - the following threads found on the front page:

El Camino del Norte
Camino Primitivo
Camino Ingles
Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia

Also on this forum if you enter what you are looking for into "Search" at the very bottom of each page, you will get a lot of information.

Just an added note - the route to Finisterre is fantastic but take 4 days - 3 days is pretty tough. I also suggest planning an extra day in Santiago before starting out to Finisterre!, just because it's a great way to end your camino!

Best of luck with your planning, and other members will give you much more information.

lynne

lynnejohn said:
Hi there!

Might I suggest that you consult with the following links - they will give you a better idea of what you can do in two weeks:

1. mundicamino.com (each route is divided into stages and you can easily plan out how many days you need)

2. csj.org.uk (lots of information, can order guides to routes, can download Camino Ingles online)

3. On this forum - the following threads found on the front page:

El Camino del Norte
Camino Primitivo
Camino Ingles
Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia

Also on this forum if you enter what you are looking for into "Search" at the very bottom of each page, you will get a lot of information.

Just an added note - the route to Finisterre is fantastic but take 4 days - 3 days is pretty tough. I also suggest planning an extra day in Santiago before starting out to Finisterre!, just because it's a great way to end your camino!

Best of luck with your planning, and other members will give you much more information.

lynne
Thanks for your suggestions....searching this site is in fact was has made me enter my post....I was given a book on the camino del norte and was set on that until I discovered the wonderful world of the various caminos!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi lesley and andrea,

Might I suggest the camino Portugués. I walked this camino in the summer of 2009 and it is absolutely incredible. And I think it would fit your needs perfectly. For one we started in Porto and it takes about 10 days to walk the 250 km to Santiago so plenty of time left to go to Finisterra. Go to finisterra! I did not have the time to go on and still regret it to this day. You will feel the need to go to the end of the world once you have been on the path.

This camino is also one that is very welcoming to first timers lets say. The route is very well indicated and the Portuguese are very welcoming and open to pilgrims.

I see you are an experienced walker. You shouldn't have any problems with a camino then. I started out with next to no walking experience but after three days your body is acclamitizes to your rucksack and the walking itself.

Buen Camino!

Hi,
I am also planning to hike with my granddaughter (19 years old) the last two weeks in Aug (if we can get decent flights)....the Portugal route sounds neat - where would we fly into to start and out of from Santiago? I haven't thought about the Finisterra but it sounds wonderful..... Thank you!

Hi Cmarilee,

We flew in to Porto and started out from there, takes about 2 weeks. (You can get a pilgrim credential in the cathedral in Porto)

We also flew back from Porto. You can take a bus in Santiago to Porto quite easily (costs around 30 euro). I do have to say it is a strange sensation to return from Santiago to Porto in only 2 small hours while spending 10 days to get there :)

Enjoy yourself!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello pilgrims,

I also can not decide which camino.. :? I'm going to Santiago for the first time. At first I was thinking about French way but I'm not very excited to meet crowds of people there, so now I've started thinking about changing my mind an taking the North way (I'm not scared walking longer distances). Just my problem is that I have 33 days for walking. As I've read some people finish French way in less than 30 days but what about North? Are 33 days very tight or still possible? Could you please compare Frances vs del Norte in total timing (especially those who tried both)? In mundicamino.com it seems as pretty much the same. Or maybe North way is too much/too hard for the first time?

I would appreciate if someone could give an advice as soon as possible as I'm arriving in Biarritz on 20th of May - only 5 days left! yahoo!

Thanks in advance!

Vaida

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back