• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which digital camera to Buy

Dawn of a new Day

Ok, it is time to get with the program...... Yes I am finally buying a digital camera. I want to spend about $300cdn. I don't need alot of pixels as I will not be cropping or enlarging bigger than 5X7.
So please which kind of battery camera would you recommend, a camera that uses rechargable lithium batteries or rechargable dbl.A. Is it easy to recharge in all the places? Thanks for everyone's imput.
Ivar this site is fantastic, the EXCITMENT builds.......
dawn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What camera?

My own suggestion would be to take the smallest camera you can find. There are plenty of credit card sized ones that have a reasonable number of pixels. That type of camera such as the Nickon Coolpix S1 is nearly always for rechargable lithium ion and often the docking station is bigger than the camera. The docking station can be put at the bottom of your pack while the miniature camera can always be carried in a pocket.

As long as you do not spend too much time using the camera the batteries will last quite a few days and though you may sometimes have trouble finding a plug to charge it especially at busy refugios in the summer you should be able to find somewhere over a week.

Buen Camino
William

thanks William,

I should mention i am hiking from may 7-june 23. (before the crowds) I also agree it depends on the size of the charger. I am looking for a SMALL camera, as i like to travel 3rd world countries (except this trip) where the camera is totally out of site.
thanks
dawn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have been using the Casio's EXILIM EX-S1 for the last few years. It does not have a zoom and is only about 1.5 mPixels but is is credit card sized and really slim. It will fit in any pocket. It may have been discontinued and the more recent ones I have seen with zoom are thicker.

William

which camera

Hi Dawn of a new Day,

I just bought a canon powershot a95, 5 megapixels, auto, programme and manual, lots of control and the prints are superb, I am somewhat surpirsed, as my main camera is a medium format.

I would recommend this one. Think about the batteries, if the lithium ion ones that neeed you to take a charger, then its all extra wieght. With the canon, you can buy AA batteries almost anywhere...

Hope this helps, I am doing the Camino in April

Hanleyman,

Thank you for your suggestion of the powershot A95. I will be looking at this camera in the next few weeks. I know i can buy AA batteries anywhere. Have a great hike in April. It would be great to hear some postings after you complete your trip. How long do you have to hike the trail.
dawn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
what camera

Hi Dawn,

I have two weeks. Starting from Leon on 2nd April this year, hopefully ariving in Santiago on Good Friday.

I am looking forward to it as it has been a long time ambition.

When are you doing it?

Hanleyman

Hi Hanleyman,

I am doing the walk in may/June. I have 5 weeks off, and I have asked for 2 more weeks. I would like to do it at my leisure, if i like a place i would like to stay without being rushed.
Interesting info about the cameras, the ones people recommended are no longer available here in victoria. I wanted small and compact, however those use the flat lithium ion batteries. i am currently looking at the Cannon A520 or A530.
Have a fantastic journey.
dawn

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back