• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which do I Need--Poncho, Over Pants, Rain Jacket, Gaiters?

brenfinds

Time of past OR future Camino
Comino Frances (2012)
Hi All, I'm doing my first solo Camino Frances from late September through October 2012. I've got a light breathable hooded rain jacket, quick dry convertible pants, gaiters, overpants and a pack with rain cover. Now I'm looking for a poncho! this feels like overkill! What do I really need? Brenda

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Poncho, no rain pants, no rain jacket, gaiters. Wear the gaiters in heavy rain or when the rain is too light for enduring the heat of the poncho, but you want to keep your boots and socks dry. Short gaiters are fine.

Hola,
Poncho and breathable over-trousers were our choice. Lighter than gaiters and also a warmth layer in a cold wind, which you might have sometimes by October. Zipped trousers are easier to put on but weigh more. I pulled mine part way up the inside at the bottom and then pulled them up 'right' Avoids getting mud up the inside. Worth practising this at home :) Terry's had zips, but we could both get them on fairly quickly if needed.
We often put our pack covers on if it looked like rain or it wasn't enough to need poncho etc, but still needed fairly easy access to our other rain gear. We liked to keep our packs dry but the down side was that if we judged it wrong we were making the inside of the poncho damp with the pack cover :(
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
falcon269 said:
Poncho, no rain pants, no rain jacket, gaiters. Wear the gaiters in heavy rain or when the rain is too light for enduring the heat of the poncho, but you want to keep your boots and socks dry. Short gaiters are fine.

This is all very subjective, the poncho has lots of advantages, personally I have what you have Brenda, getting the overtousers on/off without taking your boots off is a must. You ability to change your attire quickly/easily with little fuss & often is a must, the weather changes a lot in this part of Spain, you can have all 4 seasons in one day several times.

This is another good reason for a light sack, so you can take this gear off while walking stuff it in the back and keep walking yet still be able to put it back on again soon!

I bought the cheapest pair of over/t's £12 worked really well!

Buen Camino
David

getting the overtousers on/off without taking your boots off is a must
Being little rascally here, I have not seen the trousers you can get on and off without removing one's pack even if they fit over boots! :twisted: I can put on the gaiters sitting on a rock with my pack still on.

My Altus drapes over my pack as a rain cover for light drizzle that is not worth keeping my clothes dry for, but would tend to saturate the pack. When real rain starts, I simply slip my arms into the Altus sleeves without breaking stride, and all the water is still on the outside (except what has soaked into my shirt and pants, which then evaporates to make the inside nearly as wet as the outside -- but this happens with all my rain gear). After two caminos with a rain suit, I won't suffer the inconvenience of rain pants again. :D

Just use a plastic bag to cover each boot in turn and put on your over trousers - in that way they don't get muddy.

My preference is to wear a rain jacket and either waterproof lined trousers or over trousers which are long enough to come over the top of my shoes. I do not use gaiters apart from when walking in snow. I have used a poncho but my preference for a rain jackets/trouser combination remains.

So in answer to the OP - this is a matter of personal preference!

Buen camino

John

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks for the variety of answers here.
I think I'll bring all the rain gear til I know what I need and send the rest home
or leave it behind. I'm avoiding gaiters and plan to use plastic bags instead.
but yes, poncho, rain pants, waterproof anorak, check, check check....for an
Autumn Camino.

Buen Camino!

Yes, it's all subjective. It depends how much you mind getting wet. Some people do, but I'm British so I'm used to it. Keep your feet dry though!

Buen Camino!

WOW! Thanks, Everyone! It is obviously a matter of personal preference. I don't really mind walking in light rain, but sloshing through mud would not be my personal preference. I'll practice getting in and out of my full zipper overpants, in case I decide to take them. I'll definitely leave the gaiters at home, and I'll get a lightweight poncho that covers my pack. 8)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Brenda.
I think you need it all.
I have brought rain gear, gaters and poncho on all my caminoes and needed it some days every time. If you do not have waterproof trousers you get wet in your shoes even if you wear gaters. The wet poncho sticks to your legs and the rain pours down your legs. I also bring waterproof gloves.
Late September / October can be cold and wet.
My first day on the camino ever in May 2005 I went from Roncesvalles to Larresoaña in heavy rain and was cold and wet from top to toe when I arrived. All my things in my backpacket were wet as well. Since then I rather carry a kilo more to be prepared. I also put a plasticbag inside my backpack.
Bring some warm clothes to put on in the evening too.
Buen camino!
Randi

I'll be starting my first Camino late Sept thru Oct as well. I'll be taking my lite weight rain overpants and rain jacket. My pack has a rain cover AND all my gear inside the pack is in silnylon stuff sacks. This set up serves me very well in some pretty nasty rain/wind on my mountain backpacking trips.

See you there!

Buen Camino,

M

On my most recent camino (VdP in April) I brought a very light rain jacket in addition to my Altus poncho (the new version which WAS waterproof!). I found the jacket to be very useful as a extra layer for warmth (it was very, very cold at times), good as a wind break, and nice to wear around town in the evenings when it was drizzling or raining and the poncho would have been overkill. So if your weight allowance can bear it, I'd suggest taking both a rain jacket and poncho.

As for the legs, I tended to walk in my Teva hiking sandals, so I just rolled up my pants so they were covered by the poncho and plodded on. It was much faster to dry my feet than to dry out my hiking shoes! (personal preference)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On the Camino Frances this spring I encountered just about everything "4 seasons" can bring. Had an Altus poncho that was great when the rain (and snow) got really interesting. Carried waterproof pants but only wore them once in 36 days and shed them very quickly once below the snow-line. But the best bit of weather proofing I carried was my Umbrella. The most wonderful rain, wind and sun (yes I did have sun too) shade - and great for spooking dogs too!

I started my Camino on April 20th. I brought an Altus, light waterproof pants and a light waterproof jacket and I needed them all because it was cold, wet and windy. I am sorry that I didn't have lightweight gaiters/leggings as some parts of the trail were ankle deep in mud and they woud have protected my boots. I saw some people who just used the Altus without the rain pants and the water ran down their legs and into the boots and some had real trouble with blisters etc associated with walking in wet socks and boots. Bring them all, its better to be looking at them than looking for them.
Have a great Camino. :) :)

I started the Camino in SJPP on April 23. There were some incredible winds going over the mountain. I heard that one pilgrim's poncho was shredded by the wind. For rain gear I used Go-Lite rain pants that a friend insisted on loaning me, a breathable rainjacket and short gaiters. When the rains came, these kept me totally dry. The go-lite rain pants are about have the volume as the Nike rainpants that I had originally intended to take.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'll be walking from Leon to Santiago de Campostela in October. I have rain pants that zip all the way up the legs to my hips, light rain jacket and pack cover. I'm thinking I can get by without the poncho. Would that be a mistake? I hadn't considered gaiters, but after reading these posts, now I am. My boots are Gore-tex and are supposedly waterproof. Should I believe that, or is nothing really waterproof? I suppose even if the boots are waterproof gaiters would keep them clean through the ankle-deep mud.

My boots are Gore-tex and are supposedly waterproof. Should I believe that, or is nothing really waterproof? I suppose even if the boots are waterproof gaiters would keep them clean through the ankle-deep mud.
Do not be too taken by the claims on boots and gaiters. In prolonged, steady rain, your boots will get wet. Gaiters help, though they are not much protection from the mud, and Gore-Tex breathes. If moisture can get out, it can get in!

Do the best you can. I have seen pilgrims with hair dryers just for drying boots! Most albergues have newspapers for stuffing wet boots, and the paper helps absorb moisture.

My (old, maybe too old and well worn)) Gore-Tex boots got wet when it was raining all day or if there were heavy showers. When they get wet through and the albergues are unheatedlike they were in April it is very difficult to get them dry during one night. I was wearing gaiters also - it didn´t help much.

I hate to start a walking day in wet boots. Luckily i don´t get blisters easily so that´s not the problem. And wearing merino socks i don´t be freezing y feet either.

So if I ever walk a winter camino I will be taking my newly bought footwear warming system with me.
And an extra triple outlet for the electricity so I won´t irritate other pilgs.

http://www.gearweare.com/review/conform ... ng-system/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hmm, I wonder if I could turn my CPAP breathing machine into a boot dryer. It has no heater in it, but it does blow air, though not as forcefully as a hair dryer. Plus I'd feel better about carrying it if I had more than one use for it. (Just kidding, sort of ... but I might give this a try).

Or maybe I should reconsider taking my old, heavy leather boots and apply a fresh batch of Sno-Seal. But my new Gore-Tex boots are so soft and cushy. I think I'll stick with them. I really love the way they cushion my feet.

Somebody mentioned plastic bags. No one really walks with plastic bags on their feet do they? That was just for keeping your rain pants clean while pulling them on over your boots, right? ... but if plastic bags work, I'm all ears.

brenfinds said:
Hi All, I'm doing my first solo Camino Frances from late September through October 2012. I've got a light breathable hooded rain jacket, quick dry convertible pants, gaiters, overpants and a pack with rain cover. Now I'm looking for a poncho! this feels like overkill! What do I really need? Brenda
Hi...
When I started out 5 days ago fromSJPP, I was wearing an Altus poncho along with quick dry clothes. There was torrential rain and blustery winds that almost blew me across the road. Not only was I soaked to the bone, the rooms at Orrison were not ready for 3 hours after we arrived. We were soaked through and freezing cold...for they don't close the door into the bar/seating area nor build a fire in the huge fireplace. So... Overkill? I think not! Jus' saying'...if you need it, you WILL need it!
We had two days of rain and wind until Roncevalles.
Fortunately, it got much better.
I am shocked at the amount of people with blisters. Vaseoline those puppies before putting on your socks. One woman's feet were so bad she needed 5 stitches! If she would have used Vaseoline or a Glade product, she would not be having to quit now.
Buen Camino!
Bozzie

brenfinds said:

Hi Brenda,

IMO you really dont need the gaiters, overpants or poncho. I hiked with a light breathable rain jacket, quick dry pants and a rain cover on my pack. The quick dry pants are awesome, you might feel a little cold whilst in the rain but as soon as your under cover they dry in minutes. The pack cover is brilliant because you can put it on before you leave the albergue in the morning and dont have to fluff about trying to get a poncho over you and your bag as its pouring down with rain.

I really couldnt see the point of a poncho, they just looked like a nuisance to me!

Have a brilliant camino :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back