• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Enlightened Equipment quilt

DTCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Madrid 2023
I’m trying to decide on which temperature rated Enlightened Equipment Quilt for Camino Frances for the 1st week of March and probably the Plata the same time next year. I run cold and I’m trying to decide between the 30 or 40 degree rated quilt.

For those that walk in the shoulder season how cold are the alburgeues, and so which quilt should I buy????

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I’m trying to decide on which temperature rated Enlightened Equipment Quilt for Camino Frances for the 1st week of March and probably the Plata the same time next year. I run cold and I’m trying to decide between the 30 or 40 degree rated quilt.

For those that walk in the shoulder season how cold are the alburgeues, and so which quilt should I buy????
Is that Farenheit? In which case relax, the albergues won't be that cold, although some of them are poorly heated. It is also now standard practice to provide blankets in nearly all albergues so it probably comes down to size and weight. If there is not much difference, take the 30 degree rated one to be on the safe side.

Is that Farenheit? In which case relax, the albergues won't be that cold, although some of them are poorly heated. It is also now standard practice to provide blankets in nearly all albergues so it probably comes down to size and weight. If there is not much difference, take the 30 degree rated one to be on the safe side.
Yes it is in Fahrenheit. I was thinking of some of the isolated albergues that may not turn up the heat to conserve electricity . Any winter peregrinos want to weigh in?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
What other items will you bring? I suggest that you take a puffy/down jacket, merino layer (top and bottom) and maybe another merino shirt. Along with the usual hat, buff and wool socks, either sleeping bag would probably suffice.

Puffy jacket yes, no wool as I’m allergic to (merino) wool. Icebreaker and Smart Wool included. I like to wear synthetic base layers with a Arcteryx 9oz fleece

Yes it is in Fahrenheit. I was thinking of some of the isolated albergues that may not turn up the heat to conserve electricity . Any winter peregrinos want to weigh in?
Do you know the names of the specific albergues you expect to stay in? Anyone who has stayed in them could then tell you exactly how hot or cold they are. For those not familiar with the Farenheit scale, 30 degrees is just under freezing Celsius. As I say, even the grimmest of albergues is unlikely to be that cold.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I carried a 40 Kelty in 2018. Most nights, it was plenty. 2 nights, I wore every layer I owned inside bag. Take the 30 because you can always uncover.

I have the EE in 40 and it has served me well in Spring and Autumn Caminos.

For those unfamiliar with Bag/Quilt rating systems,,, it's a mess! But for the most part it boils down to the rating number is SURVIVAL fully dressed. "COMFORT" is about 20-25 degrees (F) above that rating.

The EE quilt should be great and although expensive extra ounces, they won't hurt much on the back 😉

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My quilt is 40 degrees. Bought it at Costco several years ago. We walked a winter Camino and this was enough.

The Revelation. Get the 'regular' width, but in length choose the next size up from your normal height. If you have the budget, choose the 950 fill rating instead of the 850.

I have three different EE quilts, all in different weights for Winter, Summer, and for the chillier part of early Spring and Late Fall. With backpacking quilts, you get what you pay for. Look at the coldest average temperature during the season and route of the Camino you will be travelling, then make you choice of temperature rating.

Keeping in mind that I sleep neither hot or cold, I will say that the Enlightened Equipment temp ratings are accurate recommendations. In fact, they are quite conservative in how they are rated. When I gear tested for EE with quality control usage, I at first wondered if they had made a mistake in sending me quilts that were rated for colder temps than I was supposed to be testing.

You say you run cold, so you can choose the 40F model if you wear your baselayer to bed. Choose the 30F if you do not. If the any sleeping gear is not warm enough, you can always add a mid layer, like a puffy jacket, to sleep under.

When I use the quilts, I form the foot box. I find it keeps the quilt in place if I am not using the straps to go around my air mattress.

Based on all the feedback I bought the 30 degree Revelation in Long/Wide. I’m a big guy and normally would have wanted XL/Extra wide, but since the plan is to use it as a quilt primarily the extra size isn’t needed. Only 21 oz for 30 degree rating, that’s pretty amazing. If you buy the APEX it’s $100 cheaper, but I opted for the more expensive down for packability and weight reduction. Plus I see better resale on Ebay for the down quilts, if I were to have buyers remorse. I’ll give it a test run in the Camino Madrid this October.

They have 10% off for any in stock items right now….

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've used EE quilts for years. I have a 50 degree that I use for Caminos. For comparison, I just bought a 30 degree for backpacking the AT in shoulder seasons. I think you are too heavy/warm. It's just not that cold inside any building, especially if they have pilgrims stacked in bunk beds. I'd call EE and see if you can switch your order before they start working on it. For what it's worth.

Probably private albergue may run heat. I 0have been in a couple with little or no heat. I realize since covid t

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.