• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which extension: Aragonés or Finisterre?

SteveWalch

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon - Santiago (2011)
St Jean - Santiago (2012)
Oloron - Santiago (2015)
Seville - ? (2021)
I am planning my third Camino for next spring (I walked St Jean to Santiago previously) and I will be able to add about 5 additional days this time. So I figure I can either start earlier (Oloron Ste Marie to Santiago) or add to the end (St Jean to Finisterre), but not both. Does anyone have any advice as to which extension would be preferable? Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am planning my third Camino for next spring (I walked St Jean to Santiago previously) and I will be able to add about 5 additional days this time. So I figure I can either start earlier (Oloron Ste Marie to Santiago) or add to the end (St Jean to Finisterre), but not both. Does anyone have any advice as to which extension would be preferable? Thanks!

Hi Steve,

This is a tough one! They're both great options and I think it's about what you want to get out of your Camino that will help you choose...

The Aragones is pretty quiet compared to The Frances, however the other trails are growing in popularity so you should always have comrades around and especially at night. (I walked this 6 years ago so it might have changed a bit! But we had about 15 people gathering each night). Starting in Oleron is really nice, the trail is quite hilly - but has some incredible scenery and great Albergues that are well spaced. I think having a bit of Spanish is a really good idea, you'll get by with just the basics but it's nice to be able to chat with the locals as not many people spoke English. Overall I loved this trail, it was a peaceful way to start the Camino but it is a bit strange joining up to the Frances as the numbers increase greatly!

As for Finisterre this is a lovely way to finish (in my opinion). This way is getting busier so it's not as quiet as the Aragones, a great advantage is if your Camino friends are continuing on you can keep walking together to the Ocean. Finishing at Finisterre is pretty great when you realise you can't walk anymore, and seeing the 0km marker next to the Lighthouse is really special. The scenery on the way is also spectacular and this part has some of my favourite Albergues. If you have time I highly recommend going to Muxia as well - it's a beautiful town and while the Church has recently been damaged, the view from the rocks where it's built is really amazing at sunset.

I hope this helps you, if you have any questions please just ask!

Buen Camino,
Kat

I walked to Finisterre in 2008 and the Aragones in 2012. I agree with Kat that both are worth doing.

From what I hear, the route to Finisterre is much more popular now than when I walked it. Great views when you first see the sea. An opportunity to walk on the beach. You can burn your boots at the lighthouse.

The Aragones was quiet in late June 2012, but there was company every night. Oloron has one of my favourite Romanesque churches. Part of the route up the valley to Somport is on a narrow trail above the river which can be dodgy I am told. Because of the wet weather and warnings about the waymarked route I took the road part of the way. The road can be busy, but I had no problems. I am told that one of the guidebooks recommends taking a bus part of the way, but the tourist officers told me this was unnecessary.

Unless you plan to do the Arles route in the future, I would say go for the Aragones.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have done both routes. I started in Toulouse one year and walked the Argones to Puente la Reina. I have walked to Finisterre as well. I would lean toward doing the Argones. It is more scenic and less travelled in my opinion. There is some road through the pass to Somport but not a long ways. Nice places to stay along the way. Lacks the big finish of the lighthouse but I really enjoyed the views.

I walked from Somport in 2013 and really enjoyed it. Scenery amazing and excellent Albergues along the way. We would meet up with around 20 pilgrims from various countries each night. Don't know why but it sticks out as one of my favourite caminos !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree with Kat and others, both are great options. Oloron Ste Marie would be a great place to start. We walked from Montpellier to Puente la Reina and thoroughly enjoyed the Aragones section. A little road walking from Oloron to Somport, but it's ok.

The walk to Finisterre is also nice and I would recommend to go to Muxia as well, either straight to Muxia and down to Finisterre or vice versa. Very peaceful after the Francés and a nice way to finish your Camino.

We walked to a Finisterre in 2009 and to Muxia in 2013. Really enjoyed Muxia.
Either one will be a good choice. Enjoy. Dayton

Thank you all for your suggestions. I really wish I had time to do both, in fact I want to allow for that possibility. My latest plan is to start with the Aragones route and see how fast I go. If I end up with a slower pace and only make it to Santiago in 35 days, fine. If I end up walking faster, I may make it to Finisterre. (I was averaging 30-35 km per day towards the end of my last Camino, but sometimes it felt like it was going by too fast.)

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking next September from Jaca to Santa Cilia and Sanguesa to Abinzado where according to Gronze there are several extended parts of 10-15km without services and would like to hear...
I'm walking the Aragones in April, probably starting in Somport. I'm trying to get an idea of the public transport I'll need. BTW, thanks to everyone for all the info in previous posts. I've...
I've been working on stages from Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and have come up with this plan. I'm hoping that those experienced with this route can chime in on whether these stages sound reasonable, or...
An article yesterday about plans by the Government of Aragon to promote the Caminos which pass through the region. Better publicity for their albergues, improved signposting and the creation of a...
Are there any rucksack services along the Aragones? I am walking the Frances with my daughter starting in Pamplona. I have six extra days before she arrives and I thought I spend them walking from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back