A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

2019 Camino Guides

Which flight?

Camino(s) past & future
Hopefully sometime....
I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and I am extremely excited to say that I just booked my flight from Canada to Paris a few minutes ago! Last time, I landed at 5 am and waited until around 10:30 for a train. This time, my flight lands at 10am. I would rather fly to Biarritz as it is easier and cheaper for the most part. I land in CDG. I could wait until 5:25 and fly to BIQ landing at 6:50. I would rather get there earlier if possible. Would I have enough time to catch the 2:15 flight out of Orly? I will not be checking my bag, so that should save a step. What do you suggest?

Rick M

Camino(s) past & future
April ('16,'18, '19)
If you land at 5 AM in CDG and have a flight out of Orly at 2:15 PM, that will work. LeBus Direct has a service between the two airports. You buy your ticket from a machine when you get there, then go wait on the curb for the next one that's headed to Orly. It takes about an hour and a half, give or take, depending on traffic. You should make it easily. But.......Why? Are you one of those people that fall asleep before takeoff and need to be nudged awake when the plane pulls up at the gate? Lucky you. The rest of us mortals need a day or two to recover from jetlag, and for me, there isn't anywhere better than Paris for that!

Buen Camino

andycohn

Camino(s) past & future
CF (2012,13,15); Finisterre / Muxia (15); Portugeuse (17); Primitivo (17); Norte (18); Ingles (18)
We did that a few years ago with a 3.25 hour window between one flight arriving from the States at CDG and the other departing from Orly for Biarritz — also without luggage to check. But it was definitely tight. Your extra hour should give you a little more margin for safety.

andycohn

Camino(s) past & future
CF (2012,13,15); Finisterre / Muxia (15); Portugeuse (17); Primitivo (17); Norte (18); Ingles (18)
Also agree with Rick M above. On a subsequent trip, we spent a few days in Paris to recover from jet lag and (not incidentally) soak up that beautiful city, then took the train from Paris. Less stress, but of course, it depends on your time frame.

Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2, El Norte incompleto
Be aware that airlines can and do change their schedules. So if they are rescheduled in such a way that it's impossible to make your flight to Biarritz you might have to buy a new ticket. I've never flown into CDG, so I don't know the particulars of immigration and customs there, but if everything goes well 4 hours should be enough time between flights.

If it were me, I would take the opportunity to spend a couple of nights in Paris, since I haven't been there yet. 😊

YoCo

Camino(s) past & future
Future: Aug 2018 Frances
If you haven't already booked to Biarritz, there are easyjet flights from CDG...I flew to Biarritz.

Camino(s) past & future
Hopefully sometime....
Thanks! I'll keep researching and thinking about it. I will likely wait a while in case the flight changes. I know the flights are quite a bit cheaper than here in Canada, but still, I wouldn't want to have to buy a second ticket because the flights changed. I'm just so excited I want to book everything now! :)

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2014)
Muxia (2014)
Frances (2017)
Finisterre (2017 - 2x)
Portuguese (2018)
In case flights don't work out, and you are wondering about trains, on our Last time landing at CDG, we arrived (from Canada) at 9:00 am, easily caught the train from CDG to Bayonne at noon, and arrived in Bayonne in plenty of time that we could have gone right on to SJPDP if we wanted.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 184 24.3%