• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which flight?

TinaPEI

Time of past OR future Camino
Hopefully sometime....
I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and I am extremely excited to say that I just booked my flight from Canada to Paris a few minutes ago! Last time, I landed at 5 am and waited until around 10:30 for a train. This time, my flight lands at 10am. I would rather fly to Biarritz as it is easier and cheaper for the most part. I land in CDG. I could wait until 5:25 and fly to BIQ landing at 6:50. I would rather get there earlier if possible. Would I have enough time to catch the 2:15 flight out of Orly? I will not be checking my bag, so that should save a step. What do you suggest?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you land at 5 AM in CDG and have a flight out of Orly at 2:15 PM, that will work. LeBus Direct has a service between the two airports. You buy your ticket from a machine when you get there, then go wait on the curb for the next one that's headed to Orly. It takes about an hour and a half, give or take, depending on traffic. You should make it easily. But.......Why? Are you one of those people that fall asleep before takeoff and need to be nudged awake when the plane pulls up at the gate? Lucky you. The rest of us mortals need a day or two to recover from jetlag, and for me, there isn't anywhere better than Paris for that!

Buen Camino

We did that a few years ago with a 3.25 hour window between one flight arriving from the States at CDG and the other departing from Orly for Biarritz — also without luggage to check. But it was definitely tight. Your extra hour should give you a little more margin for safety.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Also agree with Rick M above. On a subsequent trip, we spent a few days in Paris to recover from jet lag and (not incidentally) soak up that beautiful city, then took the train from Paris. Less stress, but of course, it depends on your time frame.

Be aware that airlines can and do change their schedules. So if they are rescheduled in such a way that it's impossible to make your flight to Biarritz you might have to buy a new ticket. I've never flown into CDG, so I don't know the particulars of immigration and customs there, but if everything goes well 4 hours should be enough time between flights.

If it were me, I would take the opportunity to spend a couple of nights in Paris, since I haven't been there yet. 😊

If you haven't already booked to Biarritz, there are easyjet flights from CDG...I flew to Biarritz.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks! I'll keep researching and thinking about it. I will likely wait a while in case the flight changes. I know the flights are quite a bit cheaper than here in Canada, but still, I wouldn't want to have to buy a second ticket because the flights changed. I'm just so excited I want to book everything now! :)

In case flights don't work out, and you are wondering about trains, on our Last time landing at CDG, we arrived (from Canada) at 9:00 am, easily caught the train from CDG to Bayonne at noon, and arrived in Bayonne in plenty of time that we could have gone right on to SJPDP if we wanted.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am thinking I will wait and see... but I think I've decided to start slow. I would like to spend some time in St. Jean Pied de Port. Last time, we landed in France before 6am, but waited until the 10 ish am train, because we were afraid to miss the earlier train. We got into Bayone around 6pm and still had to get to St Jean Pied de Port, get our passports, buy poles, find an albergue and get supper. I think I will book the later flight, spend the night in Biarritz/Bayonne and go to St Jean the next morning. I can relax and spend the day in St. Jean before heading to Orisson the next morning. A nice, slow start! It will give me time to grab a fruit or two for my walk as well. :) Nice to be prepared. Oh I am so excited!!

Anglet airport serves both Biarritz and Bayonne.
For ease of getting to Saint Jean Pied de Port it would be best to spend the night in Bayonne and travel to SJPdP the next morning.

From Biarritz airport (Anglet) take a Chronopost bus 14 to the BAYONNE rr station (Gare SNCF).
Travel time is roughly 30 minutes.

In Bayonne the simple
Hotel Monte Carlo is good inexpensive choice located opposite the rr station. Nice cafe and resto also.

Last edited:
Merci! Should I book the hotel in advance or do you think it would be ok to wait? I find it so funny how I want to plan as much as I can in advance, except for when I am actually walking. I like to play that by ear, or rather, by feet!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
July will be busy. In order to have a relaxed start you might book a Bayonne hotel once you have a flight booked from Paris.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

Getting from an 10 am arrival gate at CDG to a take off from Orly at 2:15 would be nail bitter, especially if it is on a week day with all the traffic that comes out of Rungis near the Orly airport.
If you fly to BIQ make sure you read the fine print for EasyJet regarding luggage and carry-on size and restrictions. AF does the trip there too, maybe a bit more expensive but the luggage restriction are more lenient.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you! I hadn't even thought of luggage size. I will be travelling with just my pack and not checking anything, and I wouldn't want to get stuck checking it. Going home, it's less of an issue, but losing my things on my way.... eek!

Getting from an 10 am arrival gate at CDG to a take off from Orly at 2:15 would be nail bitter, especially if it is on a week day with all the traffic that comes out of Rungis near the Orly airport.
If you fly to BIQ make sure you read the fine print for EasyJet regarding luggage and carry-on size and restrictions. AF does the trip there too, maybe a bit more expensive but the luggage restriction are more lenient.

I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and I am extremely excited to say that I just booked my flight from Canada to Paris a few minutes ago! Last time, I landed at 5 am and waited until around 10:30 for a train. This time, my flight lands at 10am. I would rather fly to Biarritz as it is easier and cheaper for the most part. I land in CDG. I could wait until 5:25 and fly to BIQ landing at 6:50. I would rather get there earlier if possible. Would I have enough time to catch the 2:15 flight out of Orly? I will not be checking my bag, so that should save a step. What do you suggest?

Hello TinaPEI, we landed in Paris a 07:30 from Vancouver back in September, then connected on to Biarritz with EasyJet right out of CDG, a 5 minute walk to switch terminals after passing through customs. There are several shuttle companies that will take you from Biarritz to St Jean. Given that it’s already Dec I assume you’re making plans for next year. I haven’t checked to see their fall/winter schedule.

How long did it take you to get through immigration/customs? I would definitely prefer to fly than take the train, but I'm not finding very good flights. Did you take your pack as your carry on with EasyJet? Thanks!

Hello TinaPEI, we landed in Paris a 07:30 from Vancouver back in September, then connected on to Biarritz with EasyJet right out of CDG, a 5 minute walk to switch terminals after passing through customs. There are several shuttle companies that will take you from Biarritz to St Jean. Given that it’s already Dec I assume you’re making plans for next year. I haven’t checked to see their fall/winter schedule.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Apologies for such a basic question, but can someone confirm the best way to get to Madrid airport from SDC by train. More specifically, can I book the entire route via Trainline? At first glance...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back