• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Football team

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustbjones

Time of past OR future Camino
Fall 2013
Being from the US and old enough to where soccer was NOT taught in gym class, which Spanish team claims the Galicia area as its "own?" I wish to be respectful to the locals.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Re: Which Soccer team

Probably Deportivo La Coruna, I would say, although other teams are available. Celta Vigo, for example. The only place you directly pass through on the Camino Frances with a top league team is Pamplona (Osasuna) if you want to watch a game. Otherwise, it's not a long trip from Santiago to La Coruna or Vigo. On the early part of the Frances Althletic Bilbao seems to be king. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Thanks Tyrrek, I'll see if they are playing in Pamplona. The sports hall at Seguiro, Camino Inglés, is next to a football ground and the crowd kept me awake. I was just too physically tired to roll out of bed and go to the match. It sounded a good game.

edited. they play the day I fly in to Bilbao and then the next match is away. botheration.

Which Soccer team

I wasn't particularly interested in seeing a game, I just didn't want to pull a Jerry Jones and walk in and say "How 'bout them Real Madriders (or some other such nonsense.)"

I just tell everyone I hold a season ticket at Manchester United and that Barcelona ruin my life. That goes down real well. :evil:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Which Soccer team

Manchester United all the way. I may even bring my jersey with me, just to annoy a few of the locals ;) j/k

I've never been to a match on a Camino, but have been to several in Valencia and at Real Betis in Seville. If anyone does want to go it is generally easy to get tickets (unless the 'big boys' of Barca/Real Madrid are in town) and pretty safe in my experience. Spanish culture at its best! :D Buen Camino!

I combined my November 2012 Camino with going to see Braga at their home ground. A wonderful night that had it all.

It was the coldest I have ever been at a football ground and they turned their coffee making facilities off because they could not cope with the number of fans who would want coffee and it would delay them serving. :shock:

Their home made sandwiches were the best value for money food I have ever had at a ground. :lol:

Combining football and the Camino puts the two greatest pleasures of my life together. :wink:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I agree: Osasuna, Deportivo & Celta, but that's really geographically and a bit nationally (Basque). I would recomend some curiousness and let them tell you the rest, especially if you're not into the soccer.

But folks (I mean locals) on the Camino are not "heavy" about that as I felt it. For example: in 2009 I was watching the UEFA Finals in Viana and cheers for Arsenal (???, was it Chelsea???) against Barca and they were all just laghing. And in 2011 in Ages (again UEFA Finals) the whole village was crowded in one bar and cheering for Barcelona, only me and two Korean girls for Man Utd. For that we were something special and also have all the drinks for the whole evening for free. A lot of joking, laughing etc., such a nice evening I simply can not forget it.

But still I think it's the best not to "kiss their asses" rather than let them "teach" you :lol:

KinkyOne said:
And in 2011 in Ages (again UEFA Finals) the whole village was crowded in one bar and cheering for Barcelona, only me and two Korean girls for Man Utd. For that we were something special and also have all the drinks for the whole evening for free. A lot of joking, laughing etc., such a nice evening I simply can not forget it.
I watched the same match in Arzua, while eating the best menu peregrino I've ever had. Not a bowl of soup, but a pot of soup. Not a portion of chicken, but a whole chicken. The downside was that the Barca fans were playing their anthem from a car radio all night outside my hotel room. Buen Camino!

tyrrek said:
I've never been to a match on a Camino, but have been to several in Valencia

It still frightens me to think how much it used to cost then, but well worth it and my introduction to 'pipas'. 1,500 pesetas - quite a bit of money then.

mustbjones, if you can get to a Galician derby, that could be fun (Depor against Celta). Mostly though, Spanish teams don't command much of an away following. In the mid nineties, Compostela were in the first division and getting reasonable gates. However, nowadays they are languishing in the fourth tier (division 3, group 1). Atletico Astorga plays in the same division, group 8. There is also a team on the Camino close to Galicia called Ponferradina, which plays in the second division. Have a look at Marca, in English nowadays too. http://www.marca.com/en/

I had a season ticket for el Rayo Vallecano for 2 seasons (Real Madrid and Atletico charged ridiculous prices) and very much enjoyed it. Best away following was always from Betis, Sevilla, the other 2 Madrid teams and , curiously, Numancia.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Well yeah but I was in the ground in Wembley for the United v Barcelona final in 2011. I would rather have been in Spain.

NoQ said:
It still frightens me to think how much it used to cost then, but well worth it and my introduction to 'pipas'. 1,500 pesetas - quite a bit of money then.
Nah. When you and I went to the matches there it was about the equivalent of £8. That was the same as going to Wolves, who were languishing in a half- closed stadium against second rate teams. We saw UEFA Cup matches for the same price. Buen Camino!

tyrrek said:
NoQ said:
Nah. When you and I went to the matches there it was about the equivalent of £8. That was the same as going to Wolves, who were languishing in a half- closed stadium against second rate teams. We saw UEFA Cup matches for the same price. Buen Camino!

Fair enough. Memory's going! Yes, do remember lots of Lubo Penev goals though, and the Roma game with the Voller goal. Wolves was 5 pounds, but great fun too. Pity there's no football in Spain in July and August when I'll be on the Camino this year.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

If you are interested, Celta is dead last in the La Liga and most likely they'll drop out of it this year.

Deportivo is in 16th place (out of 20) but they are not safe from relegation either, there still 6 more games to be played in this year's season. Not a very good year for Galicia Football (soccer) teams.

Which Soccer team

By the way, Santiago de Compostela have a good team in the Tercera Division. They were promoted last year. One for the future maybe? :)

mustbjones said:
I wasn't particularly interested in seeing a game, I just didn't want to pull a Jerry Jones and walk in and say "How 'bout them Real Madriders (or some other such nonsense.)"

When you walk in, make sure look around before you say 'go Deportivo!' or some such. I've come across dedicated Real Madrid bars in all kinds of places in Spain.
Incidentally, if you are on the caminho Portuguese before Porto at Albergaria. The bar in the Pensao Parente, which is a good stopover for pilgrims (as there's no albergue in the town) displays scarves from all teams and would likely welcome additions. They also have a snooker hall....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Enough about Wolves! Look where I am from!
Although an egg shaped ball man - I do have to mention that when arriving back to my hotel the first night of the first time I visited some friends in Bilbao, I encountered a man who gave me two free tickets to the Athletic game!
That I think encapsulates the Basque spirit! (I still have a beer or to with him every time I'm back there)

mustbjones said:
Being from the US and old enough to where soccer was NOT taught in gym class, which Spanish team claims the Galicia area as its "own?" I wish to be respectful to the locals.

The first thought which came to mind is to ask if you are walking this summer or next. Although I can not answer your question, I thought I would add a little after reading all the other posts.

I had been lucky to have been walking during the last Euro Cup and the last World Cup. For me (not necessarily for others), walking the Caminos (Norte/Frances) during this time was amazing! It was great to walk as I pleased each summer day and look forward to watching the various matches along the Way with others from different countries. Of course for me, it was wonderful cheering for Spain and enjoying with the locals.

I'll be happy to return to the Camino Norte next summer when the World Cup will be held again in Brazil. I'll be excited to find a small cafe' to watch the matches, and enjoy a cold beer.

The one thing I did notice is some areas in Spain did NOT claim the "Spanish team" as their own as they believe they are not actually part of Spain. Very loyal to their own regions. I liked that.

Yes, football can be an expression of regional identity. Athletic Bilbao only signs Basque players. Barcelona uses the motto 'More than a club' suggesting it's more akin to the Catalan national team. :D Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

2004. In a bar in Portomarin drinking coffee, watching world cup. England 1-0 up against France with less than minutes to go. France win the game. I paid coins for the exact amount I owed and the bar man pushed some of it back towards me. I said Gracias and kept it. The real gift was in the sympathy. :evil:

I saw Athletico Bilbao beat Manchester United 3-2 at Old Trafford in a bar in El Burgo Ranero. Everyone else in the bar was a Bilbao fan. Another bad night. :evil:

Why am I now worrying that the United v Villa game - which I will miss while on the Camino - is going to go pear shaped? :twisted:

I opened a thread on football on the camino last year and it died a death.
This was my contribution
I'm a big football fan and on both my caminos kept my eyes out for any game I might be able to attend. Made games at Celta Vigo and Deportivo La Coruña after reaching Santiago but the only game I was at while actually on the camino was Osasuna-Villarreal in Pamplona. Certain routes offer richer pickings than others (eg camino del norte has Real Sociedad, Athletic, Racing, Sporting and Lugo). Both Galician games I went to were pretty underwhelming early season affairs but it was great to be inside grounds I had watched on tv for many years, Osasuna was livelier. No sign of fellow pilgrims at any games, I suppose the curfew doesn't help. Also, there are very few games on June - August. Tickets for one-off games can also be surprisingly expensive in la Liga. Anyone got any tales to tell?

Celta and Depor are indeed the big two in Galicia. Outside the cities though I fear most people "support" Madrid or Barcelona, that's the impression I got anyway. Compostela had a couple of years in the First Div back in the mid 90s. Most people will remember them for (a) their president having a punch up with Jesus Gil and (b) wonder goal scored by Ronaldo (FCB) against them. They're in the Tercera now (fourth tier) and in with a shout of promotion. They play at that san Lazaro ground which is in the suburbs close to the C Frances route. Last time I was in Santiago (2011) they had an office on Plaza de Galicia, had a nice chat with the lady there. Interesting to read some of you have been to Mestalla as I have a season ticket there. Have a soft spot for Ponferradina and would like to catch a game there some time. A visit to Athletic Bilbao is top of my to-do list though as their famous San Mames ground is being demolished this summer, not much time left!

I would strongly urge all pilgrims (esp the methodists :) ) to get behind the mighty Liverpool FC thereby ensuring that they never walk alone.....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Al the optimist said:
Enough about Wolves! Look where I am from!
)

Just for you...

Hark now hear
The south Bank sing
A new king's born today
His name is Stevie Bull
And he's better than Andy Gray.

We'll drink a drink a drink
To Stevie the king the king the king
The saviour of
The Wanderers team
He's the greatest
Centre-forward
That the world
Has ever seen.

We've got Mickey Mickey Stowell in our goal, in our goal.

Actually, there is a lot less chanting in Spanish football, but still great atmospheres for the bigger games.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My eldest (disowned) son is a liverpool supporter and has been to Anfield.

He is also a Camino pilgrim and I bought the shirt that Al talks about.

It says in English, You'll never walk alone and the Spanish "No solo". I think the Spanish really should translate, Never Walk Alone, but its a good enough fit. My son loved it.

Liverpool will not be in Europe next season and Brendon Rodgers will be unemployed. Everton will qualify for the Europa League and many of my friends will try not to gloat over that. :lol:

Brenda can always get alternative employment as David Brent in the next series of 'The Office'.

Buen Camino.

(5 Times :lol: )

Rugby is the king of sports in Basqueland. AUPA BOPB! Alas, the season is almost over.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
While I was walking this morning, I was thinking how great it would be for all of us to meet at a bar on the Camino one eve to share spirits and the love of the game. This has been a welcomed thread for me to read these days. I don't know much of football, but I love to watch while traveling with a group of new found friends. I'll even cheer for your side if you're buying!

Simeon

Geee, how nice a wish!!!

But guess we all have our "own pilgrims" at our side day by day. And that's it.

Imagine a gathering somewhere (even on the Camino) where we all flew in just for that purpose. I think that's a no go. Logistical maybe OK, but we wouldn't be the same :?

But, what the hack, we also may call a certain place for the "head quarters" and define a day and wait for what to happen, hehe. Well, we just might...

I'm a fan of Deportivo La Coruna and have been many times to the Riazor stadium (beautifully located on the beach in the city). If anyone gets a chance to visit A Coruna for a football game, take it. An experience to die for. Although threatened by relegation to Segunda again this year, every home game is packed to capacity and nicer people you will not find anywhere else. They also have a pretty cool online International Pena (fanclub) at http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com.

I've also been to Osasuna's ground and San Mames in Bilbao. Whoever wants to experience a special piece of magic, visit San Mames before it's pulled down.

Btw, I'm purposely starting my Camino at the end of the football season - the two combined and the beer involved just wouldn't work for me!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I stay in a lsmall hotel in Sopelana when in Bilbao. There was a home game with Barca while I was there last June. We had the match on national TV on a hugh screen with the commentary fed direct from Marmes by a local radio station! Strangely no one seemed to support the away team! :) A wonderful evening, but nowhere as good as the time I went to the match. To see rival supporters drinking together in the street outside the ground before the match without a cop in sight was an eye opener and a wonderful comment on the Basque nature.

clearskies said:
Manchester United all the way. I may even bring my jersey with me, just to annoy a few of the locals ;) j/k

Exactly! Champ20ns!!! :D

You are probably safer sticking with politics as a gambit for discussion ...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
William Marques said:
PadreTeeJay said:
clearskies said:

Exactly! Champ20ns!!! :D

I think you would annoy them more with a Bayern Munich or Borussia Dortmund one!

I tend to mention to words 'champions league winners 1999!' if so ;)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Early in the camino you'll be in the Basque region. There you'll find mostly Real Sociedad (San Sebastian) fans, but also a lot of Athletico Bilbao (Bilbo) and a few Osasuna (Pamplona) fans. All in La Liga.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Compostela got promoted today winning 2-0 in Cieza (4-0 agg). Next season they will play in 2B against such teams as Ourense and Oviedo.

In 2011 when I was first in Santiago, there were celebrations as they were promoted from another division. That's great news for Galicia!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back