• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which guide would you carry

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A guide book?
Why not be an adventurer in a strange land? So long as you know where you'll be stopping for the night and where the yellow arrows can be found what more do you need?
On my first CF I had the handout sheet from SJPP and that was it. Followed the arrows, asked where the refugio was when I arrived and talked to people.
OK, I didn't know that around the corner there was an amazing 11th century carved door, that there was a restaurant in town that served the best pulpo in all of Spain or that Paulo Coelho had passed this way before me but did I really need to?
Simpler times I guess.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lots of people carry a physical guidebook on their first Camino, including this pilgrim. It had the feel of a security blanket about it. Brierly is pretty common. It's also a heavy security blanket. gronze.com and Google maps, as well as a host of available apps are much lighter, and all anyone needs.

I did not carry a guidebook. I bought and read the Brierly guide prior to going, made notes on my phone and took pics of the maps to reference while walking. I only met one person who brought their book with them and they kept in their suitcase that was shipped from town to town. :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've never carried a physical book. Instead I've used apps and guidebooks on my Kindle app.

I have the Moon Guide and the Village to Village guide.
I like paper guide(s) that is why I asked. I am sure I will be using all the apps. Do you carry the Moon guide and the village to village guide in paper form or only apps. I don't like relying completely on electronics.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you choose to carry one guide book on the CF, which one would you choose and why? Thanks
From my point of view - which ever one suits your preferences. Yes "Saint John" is considered the "bible" of guide books but there are many others. In fact if you are walking the Frances you probably don't need one. just a list of accommodation places. The German Red Book (its available in English) is one you might consider. May I suggest you do an on line search and see if you form an opinion from this aspect. Buen Camino.

I still love owning physical guidebooks and order one for each route I walk if available.
I have Brierley's Frances "Camino de Santiago";
Brierley's Portuguese;
Dave Whitson's Northern Caminos;
and Lightfoot Guide to the Via Podiensis.
I study and review them often before I leave home and write notes in the margins from forum members' experiences if I think they will be helpful.
I no longer carry my guidebooks on the Camino, but instead take screenshots of the pages on my phone which has worked very well and weighs literally "nothing".
I also refer to my guidebooks occasionally when back home to stir my memory when offering an opinion or suggestion to others who have questions.
I also use various Camino route apps, of which there are many good ones, but my guidebooks are my Camino "bibles.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I like paper guide(s) that is why I asked. I am sure I will be using all the apps. Do you carry the Moon guide and the village to village guide in paper form or only apps. I don't like relying completely on electronics.
Do you have to have amazon prime to download to you kindle? I have an android phone and have never used kindle and am not a member of A Prime.

From my point of view - which ever one suits your preferences. Yes "Saint John" is considered the "bible" of guide books but there are many others. In fact if you are walking the Frances you probably don't need one. just a list of accommodation places. The German Red Book (its available in English) is one you might consider. May I suggest you do an on line search and see if you form an opinion from this aspect. Buen Camino.
Thanks, I've looks a all of them offered on this forum. I lean toward Brierley's. Thanks

I still love owning physical guidebooks and order one for each route I walk if available.
I have Brierley's Frances "Camino de Santiago";
Brierley's Portuguese;
Dave Whitson's Northern Caminos;
and Lightfoot Guide to the Via Podiensis.
I study and review them often before I leave home and write notes in the margins from forum members' experiences if I think they will be helpful.
I no longer carry my guidebooks on the Camino, but instead take screenshots of the pages on my phone which has worked very well and weighs literally "nothing".
I also refer to my guidebooks occasionally when back home to stir my memory when offering an opinion or suggestion to others who have questions.
I also use various Camino route apps, of which there are many good ones, but my guidebooks are my Camino "bibles.
I like the idea of taking screenshots or photos of pages. I could get a digital copy and screen shot and save to my OneNote file for easy access. I will read the book at home. Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On my fisrt csmino in 2010 I carried Brierley's guide. I also had Gitlitz and Davidson's A Pilgrimage Road to Santiago as an ebook.

Apps have improved, but I still carried a Brierley guide on the CP this year.

On my fisrt csmino in 2010 I carried Brierley's guide. I also had Gitlitz and Davidson's A Pilgrimage Road to Santiago as an ebook.

Apps have improved, but I still carried a Brierley guide on the CP this year.
Thanks, I am leaning toward Brierley's too.

A guide book?
Why not be an adventurer in a strange land? So long as you know where you'll be stopping for the night and where the yellow arrows can be found what more do you need?
On my first CF I had the handout sheet from SJPP and that was it. Followed the arrows, asked where the refugio was when I arrived and talked to people.
OK, I didn't know that around the corner there was an amazing 11th century carved door, that there was a restaurant in town that served the best pulpo in all of Spain or that Paulo Coelho had passed this way before me but did I really need to?
Simpler times I guess.
I have done tons of international travel. I used to be an international whitewater river guide back in the day in Africa, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand and more. It was even before fax machines. Not phones, no maps, plumaging down class V white water. Been there, done that. I had no fear and landed in the middle of the African jungle and winged everything. I will be using apps but want to learn as much as possible. I will have a combination of adventure and preplanning. I'll probably take a cannibalized Brierley's book. Thanks

Lots of people carry a physical guidebook on their first Camino, including this pilgrim. It had the feel of a security blanket about it. Brierly is pretty common. It's also a heavy security blanket. gronze.com and Google maps, as well as a host of available apps are much lighter, and all anyone needs.
I don't need a security blanket, I just like reading from a book. I will probably cannibalize Brierley's boodI get sick of screens and will hate them even more on the camino:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I like the Brierley books. Even if you don't carry it (or all of it) when you walk, it is really nice to have for reference after you are back home.
did I really need to?
Simpler times I guess.
I suppose there is no need for you to ever read another book in your life - in either paper or electronic version. Personally, I am glad good old Guttenberg came along when he did.

Simpler times? I carried a guide book when I traveled 50 years ago.

They all have pro and cons. If you're really going to carry a book rather than having a guide on your phone just go with the one that weighs the least.
Thanks, I will be using apps but want to carry a guide in paper form, thus the question about opinions of which one people like the best.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just take the Kindle version
Do you have to have amazon prime to download to you kindle? I have an android phone and have never used kindle and am not a member of A Prime.
No, you only need the Kindle app on your phone.

The Camino is so well marked that you can walk it without a book or app. The first year that I went I had an app that didn't work that well, so I didn't use it much. I relied quite a bit on the paper that I received at the Pilgrim's Office in St Jean Pied de Port that listed distances between towns, what services each town has, and a list of albergues in the towns.

I also had Brierly's maps only guide on my Kindle app. The maps only is the only Brierly guide that is available on Kindle.

Different for each Camino and some have no book so I use Gronze.com or notes from the forum. Brierly is fgood for some. G. Kelly for Via de la Playa. Also the German Yellow book is great if you read German.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you choose to carry one guide book on the CF, which one would you choose and why? Thanks
I didn't take one when I walked the Camino Frances but as I was researching my book I referred to Brierley's book often. The maps and detail are good and I also liked how it reminded me of some of the climbs and descents. It's shape seem like it would also fit nicely into one of the thigh pockets on hiking trousers too.

This is a great question and one I've wondered myself. I ended up buying Brierley's because I like the personal reflection sections but I'm yet to do a Camino so can't comment on what I would carry. I like paper too and in an attempt to disconnect from technology this seems like a good compromise. Keen to hear all responses.
A guide book?
Simpler times I guess.
I guess everyone is different. I would want a guide book for multiple reasons. 1. as stated above I wouldn't want to be constantly reliant on technology. I have an office job where I'm online 8 hours a day. I would love to leave this behind. 2. I have a completely negative sense of direction so getting lost for me is easy. As a woman having a guide book adds some level of comfort if I happen to miss the ubiquitous yellow arrows. 3. Guide books deepen the experience if you're interested in learning about the history and culture of your environment. I would LOVE to know about that old door, and the best dish in Spain. Isn't that part of the experience? Finally 4. As an introvert I don't necessarily feel comfortable with your strategy of asking where the refugio is and talking to people. It's easy for some but not everyone. Each to their own. ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
1st time Brierley for all the tips, maps and info. Most of the guide books you see mentioned on these forums will suffice

Recommendations will always be subjective. I'd love to be able to ditch the phone but covid pass, tickets ... being able to call for help outweigh the annoyance they often provide ( for me )

Judy, I like your question - and you must have braced yourself for all the App blowback that would inevitably arrive...!
If called as a witness for the guide book defence counsel I would say....
sure, if you are a logical paired-down pragmatist then Apps are going to be your choice. But there are plenty of non- weight/tech-focused benefits if you are prepared to haul that extra 10 ounces of paper for around 500 miles:
For a start you are more likely to get into interesting conversations with interesting people who've travelled to Spain from all corners and many walks of life - some weird, some wonderful - and often both. As studying a guidebook (either on the road on in a bar or albergue kitchen) invites far more interaction than looking at your phone/ipad thingy.
Secondly you create a thread over time via that book that sits on your shelf with its annotations and comments and the place where you spilt a bit of coffee or tore a back page out to write someone your address. And in my case a couple of places where seasoned pilgrims marked and wrote in the places they recommended.
Thirdly, as you travel the road, you travel through the book - again, it's a physical thing - you start on Page One with fresh gear and boots, as well as a fresh-smelling tight-bound book, but somewhat over-awed by the multitude of days, miles and pages that you can see lie ahead. By the end, both of you have loosened up (maybe losing a few pages along the way) and are worn and scuffed around the edges.
And long after, that wrinkly spine on your bookshelf endures as a memory of all that.
The full Brierley is my recommendation for a first CF

This is a great question and one I've wondered myself. I ended up buying Brierley's because I like the personal reflection sections but I'm yet to do a Camino so can't comment on what I would carry. I like paper too and in an attempt to disconnect from technology this seems like a good compromise. Keen to hear all responses.

I guess everyone is different. I would want a guide book for multiple reasons. 1. as stated above I wouldn't want to be constantly reliant on technology. I have an office job where I'm online 8 hours a day. I would love to leave this behind. 2. I have a completely negative sense of direction so getting lost for me is easy. As a woman having a guide book adds some level of comfort if I happen to miss the ubiquitous yellow arrows. 3. Guide books deepen the experience if you're interested in learning about the history and culture of your environment. I would LOVE to know about that old door, and the best dish in Spain. Isn't that part of the experience? Finally 4. As an introvert I don't necessarily feel comfortable with your strategy of asking where the refugio is and talking to people. It's easy for some but not everyone. Each to their own. ;)
Each to their own indeed and your Camino is your Camino. It must be difficult being an introvert on such a social activity such as a Camino, I sincerely salute your effort!

BC

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I like the Brierley books. Even if you don't carry it (or all of it) when you walk, it is really nice to have for reference after you are back home.

I suppose there is no need for you to ever read another book in your life - in either paper or electronic version. Personally, I am glad good old Guttenberg came along when he did.

I have an extensive library, both on paper and electronic :)

Personally, I am glad that unknown Canaanites came along 4000 years and made the leap from hieroglyphs to individual letters to form an alphabet:
1659263882565.png aleph 1659263917010.pngbeyt or alphabet

Old Johannes would have had a terrible time trying to print in hieroglyphs using separate type!

To choose just one would be difficult for me.

For the Camino Francés, I carried Brierley and Michelin No 160 in paper form and David/Gitlitz in electronic form. Why? The simple answer is that I like it that way.

If pressed, I would say Brierley for the map sketches (be aware that they are not to scale!), Michelin for the accurate maps providing an overview of where I was, where I came from and where I was going to and what was to the right and left of me, and David/Gitlitz for the wealth of information about history related to the various areas along the Camino Francés and to the medieval pilgrimage, Romanesque and Gothic art, gastronomy, patrimony as well as a bit on fauna, flora, geology, and modern-day Spain.

If you want just one guide book, take Brierley. It covers the bare necessities, and you can easily ignore musings that may not interest you. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Village to Village map guide. Compact and light.
It is a paper book detailing all the essentials - good maps to scale and detailing accommodation. Fits in my trouser pocket. It has been much admired by companions and is easier for a bunch of people to look at than individual mobile screens.
A well annotated book is a splendid aide mémoire in the months that follow.
Joe

No. You can use Kindle independently, but you do purchase the books through Amazon. I purchase my books there rather than pay the monthly fee. Three years later, I’m ready to see them again, because I forget over time.😄

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Village to Village map guide. Compact and light.
It is a paper book detailing all the essentials - good maps to scale and detailing accommodation. Fits in my trouser pocket. It has been much admired by companions and is easier for a bunch of people to look at than individual mobile screens.
A well annotated book is a splendid aide mémoire in the months that follow.
Joe
I stayed at a albergua and John was staying there, he had his name on a private room,carnt remember were but we all had a drink with him down the bar,very tall and such a gentleman

I wouldn’t ever think of going without Miam Miam Dodo. It’s simply the best. Don’t let the fact that it’s in French put you off. It’s so easy to understand as it’s very visual and has so much more information than others. Do check it out before deciding. I have to use Brierley for the Portuguese and have not changed my less than complimentary opinion. There is so much B isn’t in comparison. I take the pages for the day. No plans to change…. www.levieuxcrayon.com

Miam Miam Dodo…

Attachments

• 8D8A6118-4632-4C3C-9607-5910459B963B.jpeg
    8D8A6118-4632-4C3C-9607-5910459B963B.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 41
  • D18D8746-EC4E-4AF7-9C3B-63E43DB083BE.jpeg
    D18D8746-EC4E-4AF7-9C3B-63E43DB083BE.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 41
If you choose to carry one guide book on the CF, which one would you choose and why?
HARD COPY
Which one ( in my front pouch)
Michelin 161 from Le Puy-en-Velay to Saint-Jean, or
Michelin 160 from Saint-Jean to Compostela
Why:
Elevation profile, sample accommodation listings, Michelin map, light weight

DIGITAL COPY - scanned for my private use on my tablet
Which one - Brierly
Why - more general material

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Very good points and I agree.

I used the Brierley guide and found it to be very informative. I like how the maps are set up in walking direction. I used the Camino Places app-(worked like a charm)- to keep me on track and contact albuerges, while the guide was used to plan out my days walk and pick up info regarding special places to visit. I've noticed a lot of people mention that the guidebooks weight was an issue for them. I hiked the entire camino with a plus 20 lb. backpack. It didn't make a bit of difference to me. Hope this helps and buen camino.

I did not read all of the responses so apologies if I repeat:
Wisely App for GPS realtime mapping of my position.
Wise Pilgrim App for its details of beds, Aid, food, stores, transportation in any given location.
My Camino Bed App for accommodations ahead… type, phone, and directions to their door.
I carried Brieley’s book for notes, fun reading at the end of the day, for the next day, elevation maps, AND back up to my iPhone Apps. There is something about having a book when you are 70, that Apps cannot fulfill.

For the Camino Francés, Gitlitz and Davidson's: The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago, The Complete Cultural Handbook downloaded onto my smartphone. It is a big scholarly work, hence the need to carry it in electronic format. But for me it is essential. To quote from the blurb on Amazon:

"A fascinating step-by-step guide to the cultural history of the Road for pilgrims, hikers, and armchair travelers alike. Organized geographically, the book covers aspects of the terrain, places of interest, history, artistic monuments, and each town and village's historical relationship to the pilgrimage."

For accommodation, distances, services - if you have a smartphone, I don't think anything is needed, except perhaps a bookmark in your browser for Gronze. You will be surrounded each day with more than adequate information.

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Beebe Bahrani's Moon guide

Never heard of it.
Though it looks interesting.
Another guide for the collection......... :rolleyes:

I carry the Brierley guide, scanned onto my phone, mainly for the maps.
They are the best ever,
Clear to read (due to colour scheme), with all the essential information.
I cut off the fold out section maps (part of the front cover) to make notes on such as where I stayed, where I have booked next.

(The guide distances can be a bit 'iffy' only because the measurement approach between different guides can vary. I think Brierley measures between municipal albergues.)

Most of the other guide book maps I find very hard to follow.
They are either monochrome, or use subtle shading, like Miam Miam Dodo, so that nothing really stands out. Or are just utterly confusing in the way they are laid out........

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Never heard of it.
Though it looks interesting.
Another guide for the collection......... :rolleyes:
I hadn't heard of it either, I think @trecile's post above is the first I'd heard of it. I have since bought the kindle version and loving the extra detail. To me the map books are the "bones" of the Camino while books like the Moon Guide are the "flesh", setting the scene and padding out with beautifully written descriptions and context. Happily, there's a place for both! 😍

A guide book?
Simpler times I guess.
That's exactly what I did too. I had the same experience, I know there were things I missed but I didn't know I missed them until afterwards so didn't affect my actual experience of the Camino.

I remember talking to a woman in a bar I stopped at on my first day. She was horrified that I had no guide and insisted I take her map :) I didn't want to offend her so took it but never looked at it that I can remember.

All I had was a table I had found on a website that listed all the villages on the route, what facilities was in each (albergue, cafe/bar, supermarket, water fountain) and the distances between. I basically walked from food stop to water stop to beer stop to bed stop based on that.

I had a few notes I'd taken based on the excellent Galicia Guide website and that was it. http://www.galiciaguide.com/Camino-de-Santiago.html

The only time I struggled was the stage into El Acebo where it went through some scrubby terrain and there wasn't much in the way of markings. I was on the right track, it was just my mind playing tricks on me. The only time I had to ask for directions was in quite a busy town in Galicia (Arzua maybe?) and the route through it wasn't clear.

None. I carried my phone which had apps. Including the kindle app where I did have some digital version of a Camino guide book - but honestly after the first couple days I didn't even look at it and stuck to Camino apps only. I sent my daughter with a small Camino map book - because she was leaving without having downloaded apps. I don't know if she used it after the first couple of days.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've probably sung praises before but I really like Brierley. Respect to people using apps or nothing but I enjoy a reference to consult in a quiet moment here or there. It's fun to look through the maps and learn a bit about the culture and history. What's best for me about Brierley is his personal passion for it, focus of the spiritual aspects, room to write, a sense of historical context, etc. Not everyone's favorite but a few other guides seem generic and less thoughtful to me. Also really appreciate effort was put into the page weight being pretty light.

Last edited:
I guess the word book is meant lightly. I know Brierley recommends disassembling his "book" to the bare necessities. I am VERY app savvy but I like paper. So I am leaning towards Brierley as you recommend. I'll will be using apps too.
Village to Village guides are thinner, lighter, and have more than enough practical information and stats to back up the apps like Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim. Plus they slip into my shorts' pockets better than Brierly being less tall and thin. For me Brierly is for research and recollection, not for en-route.

Last edited:
I didn't take one when I walked the Camino Frances but as I was researching my book I referred to Brierley's book often. The maps and detail are good and I also liked how it reminded me of some of the climbs and descents. It's shape seem like it would also fit nicely into one of the thigh pockets on hiking trousers too.
Really enjoyed reading your book while on the CP this summer. Yes, I too had tears at the end. Has it been optioned yet?

€83,-
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Beebe Bahrani's Moon guide

It’s always worth reading a whole thread. Was mentioned in post #3

Really enjoyed reading your book while on the CP this summer. Yes, I too had tears at the end. Has it been optioned yet?
Thank you! No options yet, but that would be incredible. You’re actually the first person I’ve talked to who has read the book while walking the Camino. Independent writers are always looking for little wins and milestones - so learning you read this on the CP has honestly made my day. I’m really glad you enjoyed it and that the ending landed. Thanks again for your support 🙏

It is pretty hard to get lost on the CF, but I daresay it has happened. My first sojourn on the CF was without a guide, and I wished I had one. I carried one on subsequent caminos, not just for the accommodation and maps, but for information about history, culture and interesting places I would otherwise have missed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I carried Brierly and read it a lot while in the Alberges in the evening. But I found that the website Gronze was even more useful. It's only in Spanish, but I downloaded the Spanish language Pack on Google Chrome, and it translated it to English whenever I opened it.

I've never carried a physical book. Instead I've used apps and guidebooks on my Kindle app.

I have the Moon Guide and the Village to Village guide.
Thanks for your recommendations. I'm trying to decide which guide to use. I used something in 2014 that I can't find anymore. I've looked at the Brierly kindle version on my android phone and it is just too small print. Can you comment on how the Moon Guide or the Village To Village guide read on a smart phone format?

Thanks for your recommendations. I'm trying to decide which guide to use. I used something in 2014 that I can't find anymore. I've looked at the Brierly kindle version on my android phone and it is just too small print. Can you comment on how the Moon Guide or the Village To Village guide read on a smart phone format?
I just looked at both on my phone. I use the kindle app's ability to increase the font size to be easily readable.
I have a sample of Brierley's Portuguese Camino book, and I'm not able to adjust the font size. However I can change the font size on Brierley's maps only Camino guidebook.

I just looked at both on my phone. I use the kindle app's ability to increase the font size to be easily readable.
I have a sample of Brierley's Portuguese Camino book, and I'm not able to adjust the font size. However I can change the font size on Brierley's maps only Camino guidebook.
Thanks for that. Glad it's not my imagination that I couldn't change the Brierley font size.

I used the Brierley Maps-only book (very thin) and the printed sheets showing the Albergue details given out by the pilgrim office at SJdPP. I think (in hindsight) this was a good choice for a first camino in order to meet things 'fresh'.
I did read up before-hand using the full Brierley CF book and the Village to Village book but most of the camino route was undiscovered territory for me.

For me, nothing beats the Village to Village guide. It has just the right mix of background, history, culture, and practical information. It also fits into the (admittedly large) leg pockets of my favourite brand of hiking pants.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Village to Village Kindle version works well on my iPhone. I’m also a fan of their separate softback Maps book. However, the Kindle version is still the 2017 edition. I’m hoping they’ll release an update soon as the hard copy version has just been updated for 2023. I plan to carry the Maps hardcopy and the Kindle guidebook as well as the Forum, Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim apps.

On the Francès ? None.

But having spent a few days on the Le Puy route, between SJPP and Navarrenx in early January, I realised that I would take a current edition of Miam Miam Dodo with me on that particular roue if I walked it (I won't, ever), and that would be the one single exception to my usual practices of getting what I need from the internet, and from mapy.cz.

If I could only take one guidebook on the Camino Frances, it would be Gitlitz and Davidson's The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: the Complete Cultural Handbook (which, to be honest, I take in Kindle format, although I have the paper version at home). There is no other guidebook for any Camino that I've found that approaches it. It is the perfect complement to the information that all of the other guides, apps, websites, etc. have. It has no maps, no lists of accomodations, which towns have water fountains, which albergues have wifi, etc. But you've got lots of sources for all of that information. If you want a guide to what you will be seeing, Gitlitz and Davidson do the best job there is for that. Some might say it is a bit out of date. But the bridge in Puente la Reina or the church in Fromista haven't changed all that much in the past few years. It is likely to provide value many decades into the future.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back