• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which half of the VDLP??

Kathleen PEters

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting Camino Frances in May 2017
Hi. I am planning to walk half of the VDLP starting in late April / early May. I wondered if anyone could recommend which "half" is the better choice...Seville to Salamanca or Salamanca to Santiago? I have about 3 weeks for the trip. I am 65, walking alone, planning to stay in alburgues. Any recommendations?? Thank you fellow pilgrims!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would walk the first half this time and hope to come back for the second half another year!
First half - flat, loads of wildflowers, Cities of Sevilla and Mérida and Cáceres.
Second half - hills (if you do the Sanabres), Zamora and Santiago
Which do you prefer?

Edited to correct

Last edited:
That time of the year is blooming spring South of Salamanca, and the last days of winter in the Meseta. I would definitely go for Guillena-Salamanca (you can skip the first stage out of Seville, only hassle, in my opinion)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
First half - flat, loads of wildflowers, Cities of Sevilla and Zamora and Mérida
Zamora is to the north of Salamanca. Perhaps you're thinking of Caceres.

Although I joined the VDLP at Merida (so I don't know the Camino between Seville to Merida), I agree with the idea of setting off from Seville. Starting from the "Deep South," lets you experience so many contrasts - in landscapes, history, culture, and people - from Andalusia, through Extremadura, to Castille & Leon. The cities of Seville, Merida, Caceres, and Salamanca are absolute gems.
On the way to Salamanca you will pass through some beautiful stages (and a few less beautiful spots, as with any Camino). In the section from Merida to Salamanca, I particularly enjoyed the walking from Merida to Caceres, from Embalse de Alcantara to Carcaboso, and from Baños de Montemayor to San Pedro de Rozados. Father Blas's albergue at Fuenterroble is another highlight that you have a chance to experience a couple of days before you reach Salamanca.

I will strongly support the others here: Sevilla-Salamanca. A very good time of year to do that. Don't miss out the Roman ruins of Merida!

Last edited:
I would also opt for the first half Seville-Salamanca, because I can remember that there was still some snow on the mountains on the Sanabrés in May 2010 and the ground was soaking wet and muddy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi. I am planning to walk half of the VDLP starting in late April / early May. I wondered if anyone could recommend which "half" is the better choice...Seville to Salamanca or Salamanca to Santiago? I have about 3 weeks for the trip. I am 65, walking alone, planning to stay in alburgues. Any recommendations?? Thank you fellow pilgrims!
Hi Kathleen:
I am also planning to walk the first half of VDLP stating in Seville in mid to late April. 61 and walking alone. Keep me posted on dates you are thinking about. I saw there were a few people starting April 10, although I think I would like to experience at least one day of semana santa in Seville if I can. May the that Monday and start walking on 15th or so. I am looking into accommodations in Seville.
Sylvie

Seville - Salamanca, definitely. Then the following year you can take up where you left off!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m planning for the Sanabres in june, after I walked from Sevilla to Astorga in september-october 2016. I would’t want to muss out on the first half!

Start from Sevilla, and visit Italica on the first day.

Be prepared to carry 10% of your body-weight as luggage, and 5% more in water if you’re walking in summer (I left Seville around 15 september, at 7.30 in the morning, and it was 25 Celcius, rising to 38 when I reached Guillena)

¡Ultreia, y buen camino!
Miguel

Completely agree on starting in Sevilla at that time of year - I experienced snow in May on the way to Galicia last year in May. Fantastic wild flowers in the southern half of the route. Come back for the second half another year (and a couple of weeks later). A cynic might say the first half is the difficult half, whereas the second half is the impossible half - I'm only joking, but the first flatter bits get you ready for the hilly bits in Galicia, so be prepared to refresh your legs leaving Zamorra if you do it in two halves.

Hi Kathleen:
I am also planning to walk the first half of VDLP stating in Seville in mid to late April. 61 and walking alone. Keep me posted on dates you are thinking about. I saw there were a few people starting April 10, although I think I would like to experience at least one day of semana santa in Seville if I can. May the that Monday and start walking on 15th or so. I am looking into accommodations in Seville.
Sylvie
Hi Sylvie. Thank you for your reply. I am starting out of Seville on April 24. Heading to Salamanca. Sounds like you will be ahead of me. I booked space at the backpack hostel in Triana. Has good reviews and hopefully some helpful info in heading out of Seville which sounds a bit tricky! Kathleen

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Sylvie. Thank you for your reply. I am starting out of Seville on April 24. Heading to Salamanca. Sounds like you will be ahead of me. I booked space at the backpack hostel in Triana. Has good reviews and hopefully some helpful info in heading out of Seville which sounds a bit tricky! Kathleen
Buen Camino to you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back