• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which is the best rain JACKET to buy?

Sjp007

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 St James
2020 St James
I’m heading back to do another Camino this summer and need to buy a new rain jacket...I’m NOT interested in a poncho as I’ll be wearing this same jacket throughout the year when back at home. My old rain jacket doesn’t seem to keep me dry any longer....In your opinion, which is the best rain jacket and why?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
REI has a good one but like lots of rain jackets, you need to renew it every 3 or 4 years because it stops keeping you dry after a few years.

I love Frogg Togg ultra lite rain jackets, pants, and ponchos. The only thing I don't particularly like is that they are relatively unflattering...but they really do keep you dry. Some of the more expensive and attractive styles do not seem to do the job in torrential rains. I'm sticking with Frogg Toggs!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm pretty content with my Marmot Precip.
Ratio price/quality very good.

If you want a high quality jacket that you can wear years and years I can recommend the Mammut brand.
An example.
Bought it for my first Camino in 2011 and wore it constantly afterwards at home.
Comes with a price.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Try washing your old jacket with Nikwax TechWash and then reproofing with Nikwax TX Direct spray on. It has kept my jacket going for some extra years. I have no commercial interest in the product. I am just a satisfied customer..
This is excellent advice. While Nikwax products are generally readily available, I regularly see other brands. Graingers comes to mind, but I know that I have used others from time to time. I have a Macpac jacket made from Event fabric. It recommends regular washing and warm tumble drying or ironing with a warm iron to reconstitute its water proofing qualities. I prefer to use an outdoor or sports wash that is free of scent, conditioners and flourescent compounds. You can get wash-in or spray-on products to renew the DWR coating.

Try washing your old jacket with Nikwax TechWash and then reproofing with Nikwax TX Direct spray on. It has kept my jacket going for some extra years. I have no commercial interest in the product. I am just a satisfied customer..

bin doin this for years and it works! :)

the malingerer.

One nice feature of Precips is that the hood folds into the collar. When windy but not raining the jacket can be worn as a windbreaker without the hood blowing around. Even if you don't go for the Precip look for this feature.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m heading back to do another Camino this summer and need to buy a new rain jacket...I’m NOT interested in a poncho as I’ll be wearing this same jacket throughout the year when back at home. My old rain jacket doesn’t seem to keep me dry any longer....In your opinion, which is the best rain jacket and why?

I would try to renew the jacket you have now, just as others have suggested. The primary reason why rain jackets stop being waterproof (for the waterproof AND breathable type) is that the outer fabric of the jacket has lost its ability to keep water from being absorbed and saturating that fabric. It is called "wetting out".

If you do need to replace your jacket, can you tell us what you mean by best? Best at breathability? Best at absolutely keeping rain out at all costs? Best breathability and/or waterproofing at the best price?

The variation in both performance vs price is quite wide.

Thanks I never thought if that, I give it a try first

I see in your profile that you're from Canada. It's probably a good thing to mention where you live when asking for gear recommendations so that people can recommend something that's available where you live.
That’s why I like amazon :) but good point

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would try to renew the jacket you have now, just as others have suggested. The primary reason why rain jackets stop being waterproof (for the waterproof AND breathable type) is that the outer fabric of the jacket has lost its ability to keep water from being absorbed and saturating that fabric. It is called "wetting out".

If you do need to replace your jacket, can you tell us what you mean by best? Best at breathability? Best at absolutely keeping rain out at all costs? Best breathability and/or waterproofing at the best price?

The variation in both performance vs price is quite wide.
Right now I have a stormtech jacket and It’s been great but is definitely not waterproof anymore, think I’ll try reproofing it as suggested

One never knows when they'll happen upon a gold nugget of info. 👍

Thanks for this; just ordered to get two hardshell jackets back into form.

Arc'teryx makes very fine rain jackets. They have several levels, all waterproof but if you want the creme de la creme, have a look at the Alpha or Beta SV jackets. Be sure to have the paramedics on the line before you look at the price tag, however...

I have a beautiful goretex jacket bought in France many years ago. It lost its "waterproofness" but I loved the colour and style so did not discard it. I've washed it many times, and line dried it. On a poster's recommendation I put it in the dryer for half an hour and lo! waterproofness has returned. Apparently that is a way of restoring the DWR treatment.

Arc'teryx makes very fine rain jackets. They have several levels, all waterproof but if you want the creme de la creme, have a look at the Alpha or Beta SV jackets. Be sure to have the paramedics on the line before you look at the price tag, however...

Those are excellent jackets, although they are much heavier and do not perform quite as well at sub-alpine altitudes as the zPacks Vertice, especially in terms of breathability. And at about 1/3 the price, too.

But, then again, Frogg Toggs stuff - -for that price point - - does real well, too. It's just not as durable long term.

If I am summiting an alpine peak, those Arcty jackets are the ticket for sheer durability :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@davebugg I'm sure you'll know....I have a Packa which has served me very well on four caminos and many hikes in NZ. The seam sealing is just starting to come off in a few places, but the last time I was in a downpour I still stayed dry. I am concerned that one day it suddenly won't be waterproof any more. Should I treat it somehow before that day arrives? I remember a week of walking in constant rain from Sevilla and would have been most miserable if that was the point my Packa had failed! I've never considered putting it in a dryer. In case it makes a difference, I have the 30d sil/pu coated nylon with a waterproofness rating of 2000mm HH version.
For anyone who is interested (but not the original poster as this is not an item you would wear around town), there are some on special at the moment. http://www.thepacka.com/

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@davebugg I'm sure you'll know....I have a Packa which has served me very well on four caminos and many hikes in NZ. The seam sealing is just starting to come off in a few places, but the last time I was in a downpour I still stayed dry. I am concerned that one day it suddenly won't be waterproof any more. Should I treat it somehow before that day arrives? I remember a week of walking in constant rain from Sevilla and would have been most miserable if that was the point my Packa had failed! I've never considered putting it in a dryer. In case it makes a difference, I have the 30d sil/pu coated nylon with a waterproofness rating of 2000mm HH version.
For anyone who is interested (but not the original poster as this is not an item you would wear around town), there are some on special at the moment. http://www.thepacka.com/
You can reseal the seams. You need to use a sealant specifically for silnylon.

Here's instructions for seam sealing a tent. The procedure should be the same for your Packa.

Trecile gave you the information for the Gear Aid product, it works well.

You can make your own, if you are so inclined. Send me a PM if you'd like that information.

There are so many brands ... makes it hard to select one.

I.e. A search on REI brought up 182 men’s rain jackets!

Outdoor Research and Marmot always been rated tops.
But, both expensive.

best? Light weight, comfortable, dry and not a wet garbage bag feeling.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just to throw the question out there - what are the features you look for in a good rain jacket for the Camino?

Just to throw the question out there - what are the features you look for in a good rain jacket for the Camino?
Waterproofness, lightness, comfort.
I have a Rab jacket which is a waterproof softshell. It's done the CP and the CI both included a full day of heavy rain and I was perfectly dry. But it is so comfy I wear it all the time at home (UK) and I love it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Another vote for the Marmot Precip. In addition to being affordable, very light (300g-ish) and having a stowable hood, it also has pit zips for sweaty uphill days, and mesh pockets you can open for added ventilation. My OH and I have one each, have reproofed them with good results, and now that they are starting to fail again we are buying the same model again.

I am very happy with my Columbia OutDry Titanium jacket. It kept me dry and comfortable through 6 hours of heavy rain. It has pockets with waterproof zip locks and zip locked ventilation openings under the arms. It weighs just around 330 grams.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am very happy with my Columbia OutDry Titanium jacket. It kept me dry and comfortable through 6 hours of heavy rain. It has pockets with waterproof zip locks and zip locked ventilation openings under the arms. It weighs just around 330 grams.
Turga, you don't need a rain jacket...you have that hard shell to keep you nice and dry!

Great thread...bought an Arc’teryx jacket in 2013 for first Camino...thought it was fantastic. However in recent times not so happy with it. Did not realize that you had to keep treating it...one of the many things I don’t know know 😳 however now I do! Will give it go!

Guy

Great thread...bought an Arc’teryx jacket in 2013 for first Camino...thought it was fantastic. However in recent times not so happy with it. Did not realize that you had to keep treating it...one of the many things I don’t know know 😳 however now I do! Will give it go!

Guy
You can try washing with tech wash for Goretex and then putting it in the dryer. That may be enough to restore it but if not nikwax makes good DWR product.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

If you want a high quality jacket that you can wear years and years I can recommend the Mammut brand.
An example.
Bought it for my first Camino in 2011 and wore it constantly afterwards at home.
Comes with a price.
I looked it up and yes it does come with a very hefty price!!!! But if you can afford it and you are wearing it all the time and it will last through the next century it probably is a very good buy.

I have a question for all you rain jacket enthusiasts who do not like Ponchos. Cost aside of course. I have met a few people (not many at all) who have told me that the used the proper rain cover that either came with their backpack/rucksack/mochilla or bought even a better one.They said that in heavy rain their packs still got wet. Is this because the person did not put the cover on properly or because people start stuffing their packs in every which way that the cover did not protect the pack as it was designed to do. Or is this definitely a possibility. I have never used a cover so I really have no idea. Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
LT, I have a rain cover that came with my Osprey pack. I don't really recall my pack getting wet in rain, but I use a sturdy trash compactor bag as a pack liner, so do not have to be concerned either way...I suppose a wet exterior would cause the backpack to weigh more though.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you have the time, take a look at THE PACKA. It isn't designed for use without a pack, but it can be used that way if you don't mind the way it looks when you are not using a pack. I walked all over Santiago for days in the rain without my pack. Kept me warm and dry. I could not see the back of it when I had it on, so how it looked didn't concern me at all.

I have met a few people (not many at all) who have told me that the used the proper rain cover that either came with their backpack/rucksack/mochilla or bought even a better one.They said that in heavy rain their packs still got wet.
The rain could be absorbed through the shoulder straps or the back.

In my opinion the RAIDLIGHT ones are that I recommend: TOP EXTREME, 220gr.

¡Salud!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a question for all you rain jacket enthusiasts who do not like Ponchos. Cost aside of course. I have met a few people (not many at all) who have told me that the used the proper rain cover that either came with their backpack/rucksack/mochilla or bought even a better one.They said that in heavy rain their packs still got wet. Is this because the person did not put the cover on properly or because people start stuffing their packs in every which way that the cover did not protect the pack as it was designed to do. Or is this definitely a possibility. I have never used a cover so I really have no idea. Thanks

What @Rick of Rick and Peg said. In addition, in prolonged periods of rain, the water tends to sieve down the space between your back and the backpack. So when using a rain jacket either do as @Camino Chrissy suggests and use a waterproof pack liner or (as I do) pack your stuff in (different colored) lightweight waterproof bags. If your pack gets wet, just empty it and it will dry in a couple of hours.

Another thing to consider is that if you have pockets on the hip belt and/or carry a bumbag, those will be exposed to the rain when using a rain jacket where as a poncho will cover them as well.

The rain jacket, on the other hand, can be used as an extra layer when cold or as a windbreaker.

So, as usual, there are pros and cons to different solutions.

Ok, I've scrolled down and read about 10 replies, all sound advice and varying opinions of course. At least the poncho-lovers were sidelined by the OP at the start, otherwise it could have got messy!
Just a thought, with all the tech-clothing with its heavy price tags and overhyped marketing claims of this and that, does anyone just go to the second hand shop and look for something that fits and will do the job of keeping you dry for an hour? I've seen pilgrims pick up or donate 'that'll do nicely' items from the recycle basket (myself included), it's often surprising what you find along the way also, not just in albergue bargain buckets.
I've had a range of cheap to moderately expensive rain jackets, they all wet through eventually, and those that resist the longest end up trapping condensation inside so you get wet from your own perspiration anyway.
Good luck with your search, let us know what you choose in the end.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What @Rick of Rick and Peg said. In addition, in prolonged periods of rain, the water tends to sieve down the space between your back and the backpack. So when using a rain jacket either do as @Camino Chrissy suggests and use a waterproof pack liner or (as I do) pack your stuff in (different colored) lightweight waterproof bags. If your pack gets wet, just empty it and it will dry in a couple of hours.

Another thing to consider is that if you have pockets on the hip belt and/or carry a bumbag, those will be exposed to the rain when using a rain jacket where as a poncho will cover them as well.

The rain jacket, on the other hand, can be used as an extra layer when cold or as a windbreaker.

So, as usual, there are pros and cons to different solutions.
I agree as in almost everything especially with equipment there is almost always a tradeoff. I think I will stick with my Poncho. That helps too when it is really cold as an extra layer.

Since you are in Canada MEC had a good goretex rain shell on sale at Christmas.

I have gotten two Patagonia Houdini jackets at very reasonable prices on eBay. They are amazingly light, pack insanely small and are very water resistant. I haven't actually had one ever wet through but I would like to test layering them the next time we have heavy rains to see if wearing two would be waterproof.

Agree with GuyA on Arc'teryx - though pricey. Wore it last year on the CF in two days of rain, which was often a downpour. Used a backpack cover with dry bags and neither I nor anything in the bag got wet.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

It is very common for that to happen.

It was because of rain covers being problematic that started me just leaving them at home, and using a liner inside the backpack, with stuff sacks going inside the liner. With poncho's, there is no need for a liner or cover.

I have gotten two Patagonia Houdini jackets at very reasonable prices on eBay. They are amazingly light, pack insanely small and are very water resistant. I haven't actually had one ever wet through but I would like to test layering them the next time we have heavy rains to see if wearing two would be waterproof.

No, they wouldn't. The Houdini is a terrific, ultralight weight windshell, and for drizzly or intermittent stuff its water repellency will shed most of that level of water for a while. In a constant rain, however, it will soon wet out, and become saturated with water.

I have a Rab jacket which is a waterproof softshell. It's done the CP and the CI both included a full day of heavy rain and I was perfectly dry. But it is so comfy I wear it all the time at home (UK) and I love it.
Over the years I have concentrated on Rab and Berghaus . I use my big Berghaus Mera Peak for real shitty weather as it goes on over my Rab down Jacket. I have a lighter Berghaus for the Caminos. I have proofed my Rab wind shirt so that it will take a shower and ditto for my Paramo wind shirt. The latter is often my go to, to be really light and effective but a selection of all the above sees me right for most of the year anywhere.! Except when the dotage strikes and I am standing like a doddering fool at a bus stop in the wind and rain wondering why they let me out for the day! :) Ya gotta
laff, it keeps you from freezing!

The Malingerer.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have chosen a medium cut between cost and efficiency and have opted on Endura MT500 mountainbike jacket which has good rainproofing ratings and extremely good breatheability figures....
I need a light jacket, that has movement in upper body and is cut short in the front to allow my hip girth to get under the bottom rim at the front and not to be placed on top of the rain jacket material and cause condensation....
This one has served me well. Many zips to allow air in and out, close to body but plenty movement...
But any rain jacket will soak through eventually, sooner or later....
If, when and eventually I will use the poncho in downright end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it weather....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have chosen a medium cut between cost and efficiency and have opted on Endura MT500 mountainbike jacket which has good rainproofing ratings and extremely good breatheability figures....
I need a light jacket, that has movement in upper body and is cut short in the front to allow my hip girth to get under the bottom rim at the front and not to be placed on top of the rain jacket material and cause condensation....
This one has served me well. Many zips to allow air in and out, close to body but plenty movement...
But any rain jacket will soak through eventually, sooner or later....
If, when and eventually I will use the poncho in downright end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it weather....

I like that you can use it for biking as well, good suggestion

- and that the ventilation is better than average, which is needed, both when cycling and walking.
In cold weather, then, it´s chillier than most others, here I use layers of merino inwards..
I use it year round, even in frost...

post scriptum: has good strings to adjust the hoos and what is more important; has enough room for a bicycle helmet and also for my medium brimmed Stetson as seen to the left in my Avatar !!

Last edited:
I don't know what the best rain jacket is -- I'm still looking for it. For the Camino, I personally prefer something nonbulky and light in weight. I also really appreciate zippers at the armpits for ventilation, adjustable wrist cuffs and a hood that's long enough in the front that I can pull it forward enough so it mostly covers a baseball cap visor. I like to have sufficient room in the chest and shoulders to move comfortably and so it vents properly if I layer a fleece and/or a down vest under it. Bonus prize if it comes in it's own stuff sack or (better) can be rolled into its own pocket. Call me obsessive, but before using any rain jacket for the first time and before any extended trips, I wear it into the shower to check that it is working as desired.

I currently use a Montbell Versalite jacket that is several years old and has held up well despite being very light (~6.5 oz.). I only use it for trekking in Camino-like conditions, never backwoods backpacking as I do not think it would hold up to that kind of wear. It has most of the features I described above. That said, I think there are great options out there that others have mentioned and I will explore those when it comes time to retire my beloved Versalite.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Over the years I have concentrated on Rab and Berghaus . I use my big Berghaus Mera Peak for real shitty weather as it goes on over my Rab down Jacket. I have a lighter Berghaus for the Caminos. I have proofed my Rab wind shirt so that it will take a shower and ditto for my Paramo wind shirt. The latter is often my go to, to be really light and effective but a selection of all the above sees me right for most of the year anywhere.! Except when the dotage strikes and I am standing like a doddering fool at a bus stop in the wind and rain wondering why they let me out for the day! :) Ya gotta
laff, it keeps you from freezing!

The Malingerer.

The Berghaus was great after Orrision as you approach the pass and the wind makes itself felt.

It was absolutely brilliant approaching O’Ceberio and afterwards for keeping out the rain.

You can sleep in it if you need to rough it !

Badly under rated winter and spring wear.

I have a Houdini and it is definitely only a lightweight wind jacket. Not waterproof at all. It might withstand a short light mizzle, but that’s all. Great for wind though!
I second the usefulness of the Houdini as a wind breaker. Walked almost 10 days in rain and mist, and its durable water repellent (DWR) treatment was exactly perfect for use with an umbrella (and, yes, I know the OP question is for a jacket). I also used it for around town in the cooler evenings or on trail in the brisk mornings.

€46,-
I have a Houdini and it is definitely only a lightweight wind jacket. Not waterproof at all. It might withstand a short light mizzle, but that’s all. Great for wind though!
I bought a Houdini as a replacement for a similar jacket that took a wander somewhere without me. I carried the earlier version in Norway some years ago and wore it mainly in the mornings when there was regularly a light drizzle, and as a wind-breaker in the evenings. I had a North Face three layer goretex jacket for when it rained, and I would be taking the same approach in similar circumstances using a Macpac jacket made from eVent fabric.

For warmer weather, I have a Helly Hansen Loke Jacket. I used it on the CF in late spring/early summer a couple of years ago. Consistent heavy rain coming into Santiago finally defeated it, but it performed well for the rest of the walk.

The best rain jacket for the Camino is a rain poncho with sleeves :)

I'm pretty experienced long distance walker, several Caminos and more - my reco by far is Arc'teryx. They make several levels but the quality is second to none - oh and "Made in Canada!"

I agree..... just purchased a jacket, Patagonia' from ERI yesterday and that was the service person's recommendation....

Being a Brit it's got to be a British brand.. all my gear is from Rohan as they use latest technology,jackets are very light, they last, are well priced & look good.no brainer!

I heartily endorse the Rab Kinetic Plus jacket. Link is to men's, also a women's version.

* Girlfriend bought one
* I immediately bought one for myself
* Bought one for my kid

Expensive, I don't care too much about color, can often find previous season's colors discounted.

Soft, comfortable, also wear it all the time - unlike Gore-Tex or "crinkly" rain jackets.

Among the quality brands (Arctyrx, Patagonia, etc)it’s probably a personal choice based on fit and features. I like theMarmot precip. Very lightweight and breathable. As for pack, I’ve packed everything in ziplock bags for years. This, along with the pack cover, keeps things pretty dry.

I bought a Killtec rain jacket on the ferry. I live on Vancouver Island and it has kept me dry this past few weeks. It is light weight, attractive and keeps me dry. I paid around $100 on sale.

Pack covers do not keep your pack dry. You are right. And breathable rain jackets do not keep you dry in a full day of rain. Far from. I think most of the people commenting here in this thread have not walked the camino in rain season. A 100% water proof rain poncho with sleeves is the only thing that can keep you and your pack dry in a full day of heavy rain. Everyone who walked in rainy season knows that. And you have to pair that with gaiters and rain pants too. In summer you can just bring the poncho.

Last edited:
I live on the wet coast (300 mm / 12” rain yesterday) and wear my Outdoor Research Aspire jacket which holds up so far (3 Camino’s). It has pit zips that go all the way down the sides. It’s heavier than what I would prefer at 417 grams but heck, everything is heavier. Besides I would rather be dry. Plus I get use of it all year round.

Arc’teryx are fine jackets no doubt but the problem I have is you need to sell your car to by one. For the Camino there are so many fine rain jackets to choose from for a fraction of the price. I choose a Columbia w/pit zips, pockets, storm flap, and foldable hood. Others like Marmot, Mountain Hardware, North Face, and Patagonia in my neighborhood are also very good just up to what you like. All in the $75-$110 range on sale.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I travel everywhere (160 countries to date) with a 7€ man's decathalon packaway rain jacket. I am a med size woman. This is an amazing cheap and lite waterproof jacket. Last June in one torrential day from Roncevalles on my bike also used a poncho. That was the only day I needed both.

One nice feature of Precips is that the hood folds into the collar. When windy but not raining the jacket can be worn as a windbreaker without the hood blowing around. Even if you don't go for the Precip look for this feature.
I have worn Marmot Precip on 3 caminos and have been very happy with it; waterproof, lightweight and agree the hood folding into collar is great. I wear it as an extra layer in the cool mornings and nights as well as a rain jacket when necessary.

Pack covers do not keep your pack dry. You are right. And breathable rain jackets do not keep you dry in a full day of rain. Far from. I think most of the people commenting here in this thread have not walked the camino in rain season. A 100% water proof rain poncho with sleeves is the only thing that can keep you and your pack dry in a full day of heavy rain. Everyone who walked in rainy season knows that. And you have to pair that with gaiters and rain pants too. In summer you can just bring the poncho.
I have an Altus poncho that has served me well and cheap rain pants I picked up in some tiny outdoor shop. Can’t remember what town it is in but it is owned by this really nice older gentleman. It is right near the municipal albergue in a row of stores. I t think there is a cafe a few doors down. Wish I could remember the name. In my 3 CF strolls I always stop in.

Paramo produce excellent kit and are much-used by the Mountain Rescue in the UK. Their system utilises NikWax and works really well. Might have to be mail-order, however.

Looked at this item and it certainly looks good. However you still have to remove your pack to put it on or take it off, and the pack requires its own cover. I found THE PACKA accomplishes both without removing the pack. It's light weight and keeps you and your pack dry.

Looked at this item and it certainly looks good. However you still have to remove your pack to put it on or take it off, and the pack requires its own cover. I found THE PACKA accomplishes both without removing the pack. It's light weight and keeps you and your pack dry.
I agree that the Packa is a great design, but @Sjp007 is looking for a rain jacket that can be also be worn at home. I wouldn't want to be wearing a Packa when I'm home.

Do you not have to remove your pack to get out the poncho? A pack cover is an easy option, but in any case pack contents need to be in a waterproof liner/stuff sac. In the end it is all a matter of personal taste and what your equipment starting point might be.

Do you not have to remove your pack to get out the poncho? A pack cover is an easy option, but in any case pack contents need to be in a waterproof liner/stuff sac. In the end it is all a matter of personal taste and what your equipment starting point might be.

You are correct about the personal taste being a deciding factor, and my guess is that when the OP stated that they only wanted information about rain jackets, the factors about ease of use is not a factor.

To answer your question, no. . you do not need to remove a backpack to retrieve a poncho. You do not even need to stop walking.

My poncho stays in a side pocket on days when the weather may produce rain. If needed, I can grab the poncho and have it on within 15 seconds. Although I can do this while walking, I usually will briefly pause so that I don't stumble on a rock, or off a cliff. :)

This ability to quickly put on and take off the poncho is handy when the day has intermittent rain. When I used to use a rain jacket, I would always delay either putting it on or taking it off because it was a bit of a hassle, and I wanted to 'make sure' the rain wouldn't stop or start back up.

When I used to use a rain jacket, prior to my thru-hike on the Pacific Crest Trail, I would use a backpack liner. But since swapping to poncho, I don't bother with it any longer for walking a Camino.

This ability to quickly put on and take off the poncho is handy when the day has intermittent rain. When I used to use a rain jacket, I would always delay either putting it on or taking it off because it was a bit of a hassle, and I wanted to 'make sure' the rain wouldn't stop or start back up.
Of course, the best and easiest way I know to stop it raining is to stop, get out one's rain jacket etc, and put it on! It is bound to stop raining shortly afterwards.

On a serious note, I have observed that many places in Spain and elsewhere in Europe have some light early morning rain. One approach I now take is to wear very light jacket (currently the Patagonia Houdini) or a rain vest (currently a bicylists vest from Mont) in the morning. If it starts to seriously rain, then I will consider getting my rain jacket out.

Last edited:
Of course, the best and easiest way I know to stop it raining is to stop, get out one's rain jacket etc, and put it on! It is bound to stop raining shortly afterwards.

On a serious note, I have observed that many places in Spain and elsewhere in Europe have some light early morning rain. One approach I now take is to wear very light jacket (currently the Patagonia Houdini) or a rain vest (currently a bicylists vest from Mont) in the morning. If it starts to seriously rain, then I will consider getting my rain jacket out.

:) Same windshell and same technique. It does work well 👍

An example.
Comes with a price.

Years ago, I sold Marmot products in a backpacking shop. Marmot jackets were far superior to any other jacket for their articulated arms that moved comfortably in any direction and for their hoods that were protective, while also allowing wide eye views. I wear a Marmot Precip rain jacket now and it's fine EXCEPT I hate, hate, hate the hood, that falls low over my eyes no matter what I do.

But, then again, Frogg Toggs stuff - -for that price point - - does real well, too. It's just not as durable long term.

If I am summiting an alpine peak, those Arcty jackets are the ticket for sheer durability :)
[/QUOTE]

As you have read, so many différent budget/solution. The issue with breathable and expensive jackets, is, just of matter of time, you'll be wet after few hours. I know, uncomfortable but better to know. Cold ? Nope. You are hiking not camping. Therefore, no need for expensive jacket. Frogg Togg is cheap and
will not last several years. Who care. Camino stretch from 15 days to max 6 months (those coming from Moscou). For less 20 box..Of course, an another story for an alpine hike.
Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I, who usually stay in Europe for 2 or 3 months, require a multi-purpose rain jacket. It must also be my windbreaker, a jacket to keep me warm on the streets, be suitable both for church on Sundays and for an evening restaurant dinner, even to be worn indoors.
The Marmot Precip is my preference taking into consideration its multiple, stylish, well-designed features (including pit zips), it's quality of manufacture, it's amazing colour choice, and its price. Its widespread popularity means it is usually always on special somewhere.
It keeps me dry in steady rain for 3-4 hours which is acceptable for this pilgrim and this performance can be maintained by the annual treatments mentioned above.
Regards
Gerard.
I can always find them under US$100. If anyone thinks that's expensive for a good bit of very important kit....they really haven't got a clue what they are doing.
I also own a Frogg Toggs suit and an Altos Poncho both of which made acceptable but not multi-purpose rainware.

Last edited:
A month ago I bought this one when on holiday at the seaside. The simple Marmot jacket I have was too limited for the storm that was passing that day. Seeing I also needed a new versatile jacket for the winter I bought this 3 in 1 from Vaude.

Not the lightest weight but still doable. You can use the inner fleece separately. Till now still too warm to use jacket and fleece together. If I would take it would me on a Camino I would leave this inner fleece at home and take my usual lightweight fleece with me instead.

Also comfortable enough ( and long enough ) to use when on my bicycle.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.