• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which is the flattest major Camino de Santiago route?

James Hale

Time of past OR future Camino
Future (2022)
Hello!

I would like to do the Camino de Santiago sometime this year and am beginning my research and preparation. I have started walking a few hours each day and generally have no problem walking long-distance, but I don't particularly like hilly walks and I definitely don't like mountaineering.

Which reasonably flat/non hilly routes would people recommend? The time and distance isn't really an issue, I just don't want to be going up mountains or too many hills. Obviously I'd like to experience the 'full' Camino as best I can, and get my certificate in Santiago at the end.

Any other general advice with regards to planning, logistics and recommended gear would of course be welcome.

Many thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What do you consider to be a hill, and what a mountain?

The Francés for example is technically easy, but there are some uphill sections. Whether you call those mountains or hills depends ;-) But mountaineering skills are certainly not needed (unless walking in higher altitude in winter, maybe).

The Francés from Pamplona is more or less easy to walk. Totally flat between Burgos and Léon. You can ride a horse up one of the bigger hills (Cebreiro) if you don't want to walk, which leaves one major hill to climb (up to the cruz de ferro).

Hopefully someone who has walked more of the spanish routes can give better advice.

Buen Camino and Happy planning!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Via de la Plata from Sevilla to SdC, IMHO.
As @good_old_shoes says a lot depends on what the OP considers too hilly. If you follow the Sanabres branch there is a fair bit of up and down in the Galician section. If you go via Astorga you encounter Rabanal to Ponferrada then the ascent to O Cebreiro. Personally I don't find either very challenging but hills do not worry me. If I wanted a route that met the Compostela criteria with only modest hills I would follow the Camino Portugues or possibly walk "backwards" from Fisterra or Muxia.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What do you consider to be a hill, and what a mountain?

The Francés for example is technically easy, but there are some uphill sections. Whether you call those mountains or hills depends ;-) But mountaineering skills are certainly not needed (unless walking in higher altitude in winter, maybe).

The Francés from Pamplona is more or less easy to walk. Totally flat between Burgos and Léon. You can ride a horse up one of the bigger hills (Cebreiro) if you don't want to walk, which leaves one major hill to climb (up to the cruz de ferro).

Hopefully someone who has walked more of the spanish routes can give better advice.

Buen Camino and Happy planning!
Well except for Perdon, coming out of Pamplona.
To me it's a "hill" but it's certainly not flat. lol!

... perhaps you could overcome your apparent concern regarding hills. They are often a very rewarding part of a journey, physically and mentally. There is something about the third dimension that is rewarding to the human DNA. Nearly everyone who can walk a flatter Camino can do a hilly Camino. And then you might yearn to walk over Somport Pass.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What time of year you want to walk, and which climate you're from would also be important information.

Vdlp in summer for someone from a colder climate would probably be difficult even without any hills, I'd guess... (I haven't walked that Camino, but remember almost collapsing on a 50m walk car --> my destination in andalucia once because of the heat... never experienced anything like that before, stepping out of a car with air condition it was like an invisible physical wall you ran into face first. Impressive. ).

Portuguese Coastal, Senda Litoral from Porto is pretty flat most of the way and has a good infrastructure!
I didn't think there was any serious climbs anywhere but that's my opinion (i am 67did it Sept 21); yours might be different!
If your already walking for several hours a day; i imagine if you decide a route you will get to Santiago.
Just go at your own pace,keep your pack at a sensible weight and enjoy the walk;if you find a hill take it slow and steady;it's not a race!

(if you do choose this route spend two or three days in Porto its wonderful)
Buen Camino
Woody

Two Caminos came into my mind. Via de la Plata and Camino Madrid.

Caveats:

1. Via de la Plata (Some hills in the second or third day), but from Merida to Sanabria nice and flat. After that the crossover to Galacia is hilly.
2. Camino Madrid. Start after the mountains north of Madrid at Segovia. Then it is pretty much flat all the way to the end point in Sahagun.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello!

I would like to do the Camino de Santiago sometime this year and am beginning my research and preparation. I have started walking a few hours each day and generally have no problem walking long-distance, but I don't particularly like hilly walks and I definitely don't like mountaineering.

Which reasonably flat/non hilly routes would people recommend? The time and distance isn't really an issue, I just don't want to be going up mountains or too many hills. Obviously I'd like to experience the 'full' Camino as best I can, and get my certificate in Santiago at the end.

Any other general advice with regards to planning, logistics and recommended gear would of course be welcome.

Many thanks!
I would say the English way from Ferrol I only found one section a bit hilly, took 6 days to do the 118km

Hello!

Many thanks!
I did two Caminos: the Camino Tolosana from Arles France is much flatter than the Camino Frances from SJPP where you have a huge climb On Day 1. Thé Tolosana crisses thé Pyrénées at the Somport Pass which I found less steep than the pass bringing you to Roncesvalles where you begin your Camino Frances.

You could take the Camin Portugues Central route from Porto. This has one steep section after Ponte de Lima a climb of 1200 feet from Ponte de Lima to the top of the pass. However you take a local bus from Ponte de Lima that will drop you off at a village at the top. You can take the bus from the side of the Albergue/Hostel "Old Village Hostel" Good albergue, they did my washing for free:-}
Alternatively you could follow the Coastal Camino Portuguese which skirts the hills and meets up with the Central near Redondela

Attachments

• 02 - Overview Porto - Pontevedra.pdf
    158 KB · Views: 25
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Please do not let only the climbs dictate the Camino you choose. Some that have been suggested have less in the way of albergues and you may have to walk longer days. Also, are you interested in solitude as some are less traveled.
My suggestion would also be the Portuguese. Possibly start in Porto and walk out the Duro river to the ocean. Walk a day up to Vila do Conde. Take a taxi over to the central route here. You only really have one climb on this route and it is not long. I will add that there will always be some ascents and descents. Spain particularly is not a flat country.

Fully respect the OP's preferences but for me it's the ups and downs that make it interesting. A bit like life itself. And the view from the top sure beats the view on the flat although I'll make an exception for the Meseta!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The entire Camino Portuguese is the flattest. Whether you begin in Lisbon or Porto, whichever Portuguese route you take has very little elevation gain or loss.

The Senda Litoral route from Porto, Portugal has my vote.
It’s the only one I’ve done, but I agree based on what Ive heard about the others. The first few days are on flat boardwalk by the ocean, so your body has a chance to adjust before you get to anything resembling a hill. Aside from Porto itself, which is pretty darn hilly :)

You must be very excited, and I am very happy for you. Of the ones I´ve walked, Camino Porto (coastal route) and Camino Ingles were relatively flat. I like Ingles better than Porto, mainly because some parts of Porto felt like beach resorts. Camino Ingles can be a good trial route since it´s short and you can make your days however short or long depends on how your body tolerate. No matter where you start, you can always change to another route by simply hopping on a train or bus. It´s your Camino and you should do it the way you enjoy! Everyone is different physically and emotionally, so I recommend that you do it whichever and whatever way that's right for you. BTW, if you ever need information even during your Camino, please reach out to this forum. Someone on the forum always has good suggestions. ¡Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello!

Many thanks!
Having done most of Camino over the years 18 times in fact if it's your first Camino and don't want 2 much up downs do the Camino from Porto coastel route combined with the spiritual variante from Pontevedra to Compostela excellent or Camino Frances from Roncesvalles I'll be doing another 3 weeks this June from Logrono to wherever I reach taking it easier than previous years due to turning 70 years young can't shake the urge done Porto last year for 4 th time brilliant

Well except for Perdon, coming out of Pamplona.
To me it's a "hill" but it's certainly not flat. lol!
I don't mind the uphills too much but my knees don't like the downhills. I'll never forget, on my first camino, the long climb up to Perdon and then looking over the edge toward the direction the camino headed and thinking "Oh my god, are we going to go down THAT!" (But, looking back, it's all good memories.)

Hello!

Many thanks!
Hills are like having a baby. Once you've got to the top you forget the struggle and appreciate the views. Bue
Hello!

Many thanks!

n Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The hill after Castrojeriz is not the easiest climb - nor descent!

View attachment 117824
That hill is the day I experienced extreme pelting rain for several hours straight after leaving Castrojeriz and nowhere to easily stop for a bathroom break for quite a long stretch, either inside or outside.😂

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Note that if you want a compostela and to walk the Ingles you should start in Ferrol. If you walk the Ingles from A Coruna you need to walk 25 km at home first. Be sure to ask the forum questions about this if you decide on the Ingles.

Beautiful climb , breakfast at the top with a beautiful view .

The hill after Castrojeriz is not the easiest climb - nor descent!

View attachment 117824
Yep...definitely agree with that assessment!
One of my only regrets from our recent Frances was associated with Castrojeriz. Unfortunately, the town was shrouded in fog, and we didn't even see the castillo...which would have been a highlight after watching so many YouTube videos of pilgrims exploring the castle (and watching sunrise/set). Maybe next time.

Attachments

• IMG_6988_Original.jpg
    IMG_6988_Original.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6994_Original.jpg
    IMG_6994_Original.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 59
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yep...definitely agree with that assessment!
One of my only regrets from our recent Frances was associated with Castrojeriz. Unfortunately, the town was shrouded in fog, and we didn't even see the castillo...which would have been a highlight after watching so many YouTube videos of pilgrims exploring the castle (and watching sunrise/set). Maybe next time.
I loved the castle! It was worth every step 🥵after a long walking day! Had it been foggy though, I doubt I would have bothered either.
Screenshot_20220204-125002~2.png

I loved the castle! It was worth every step 🥵after a long walking day! Had it been foggy though, I doubt I would have bothered either.
View attachment 117874
Yep...Chrissy....those are the pictures I would have liked to take!! Very impressive...and clearly worth the climb. I think if I were to walk again I'd aim to overnight in Castrojeriz to be sure of getting up to the castle. Thanks for posting the pics!!

Yep...Chrissy....those are the pictures I would have liked to take!! Very impressive...and clearly worth the climb. I think if I were to walk again I'd aim to overnight in Castrojeriz to be sure of getting up to the castle. Thanks for posting the pics!!
That is ALWAYS a good idea! Relax in Castrojeriz; see the castle, watch the pilgrims going by, unaware of the afternoon hot climb up the Alto del Mostelares (aka mata burros (the mule killer), with a cold beer at the town, and take the climb in the cool of next morning instead...:cool:

Last edited:
That is ALWAYS a good idea! Relax in Castrojeriz; see the castle, watch the pilgrims going by, unaware of the afternoon hot climb up the Alto del Mostelares (aka the mule killer), with a cold beer at the town, and take the climb in the cool of next morning instead...:cool:
Good advice! We stayed in Hontanas on our trip, but if I were to do the Frances again....would plan for a Castrojeriz overnight. We had a really nice breakfast in Castrojeriz...and from what we could see...looked like a top spot.

Hello!

Many thanks!
There is no ‘mountaineering’ involved in any of the Caminos I have walked in Spain. But bear in mind Spain is said to be the most mountainous country in Europe after Switzerland 😁 I don’t know how true that is, I found Italy pretty challenging 😳😁
There are lots of ups and downs on the Camino francés, also from memory on the Sanabrés…Also on the Aragonés….Oh, and the Inglés!
But that’s just me, I find any hill challenging 😂
i honestly wouldn’t even worry about it, take it one step at a time if you find it hard, there is no rush. Remember most pilgrims make it and are not athletes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On
Good advice! We stayed in Hontanas on our trip, but if I were to do the Frances again....would plan for a Castrojeriz overnight. We had a really nice breakfast in Castrojeriz...and from what we could see...looked like a top spot.
One of my definitive favorites.

There is no ‘mountaineering’ involved in any of the Caminos I have walked in Spain. But bear in mind Spain is said to be the most mountainous country in Europe after Switzerland 😁 I don’t know how true that is, I found Italy pretty challenging 😳😁
Hills are a bit challenging, indeed.

www.visitnorway.com for hills...

Oh, you copied my question from 2015! See that thread for replies - and I agree about Camino de Madrid (apart from one day, the day before Segovia (which can be skipped)) and Portuguese...

I am still walking, and my knee still hurts.

I was thinking of Norway as I was typing! 😁😉 But although I have visited (and loved it), I never walked there…
Over the last two summers, I have walked from Oslo to Trondheim. It is possible to walk AROUND some of the worst hills, as long as you don't mind asphalt and longer distances.

€46,-
Over the last two summers, I have walked from Oslo to Trondheim. It is possible to walk AROUND some of the worst hills, as long as you don't mind asphalt and longer distances.
There are no problems walking from Oslo to Trondheim, IMHO: The " hills" (mountains; are on the west coast and Northern Norway. Impossible to avoid. I live there. Mountains everywhere. I actually own a couple...😄

When you read about the Scandinavian fjords and mountains, you are reading about the Norwegian west coast line and Arctic Norway. I live there. Denmark is flat and farmland, Sweden is flat and forrests, Finland is flat and lakes.

When you read about the Scandinavian fjords and mountains, you are reading about the Norwegian west coast line and Arctic Norway. I live there. Denmark is flat and farmland, Sweden is flat and forrests, Finland is flat and lakes.
I walked the Sundsvall to Trondheim Olavsleden. I was surprised how little there was by way of big hills. Mostly gently rolling countryside. Even crossing the border from Sweden was a bit of an anticlimax :) The route does go up and down a bit but nothing I would think of as a mountain. It was really chilly though even in May. Perhaps not so surprising so close to the Arctic Circle :)

To go back to the OP’s question…(oops), I was thinking…
if you want somewhere flat…
Walk the Danube road! It is part of the Camino to Santiago and it’s absolutely beautiful and… flat 😎
When I struggle climbing uphills in Spain, I often long for it😉

I walked the Sundsvall to Trondheim Olavsleden. I was surprised how little there was by way of big hills. Mostly gently rolling countryside. Even crossing the border from Sweden was a bit of an anticlimax :) The route does go up and down a bit but nothing I would think of as a mountain. It was really chilly though even in May. Perhaps not so surprising so close to the Arctic Circle :)
Yes, you walked in the flat parts of Sweden/Norway: rolling hills but no real mountains.

The border between Norway and Sweden is a mountain rigde called Kjølen (The Keel). This is a result of tectonic plate movements: Norway is moving 4-5 cms east each year, building up the mountain range, and as a result, in the future, Sweden will disappear; It will be ovelapped by Norway. It will take some time (400 mill. years.) Then we take Finland. And then we take Russia.

And to return to the OP: I still think, based on many years on different Caminos, that the flattest Camino is the VdlP. The Cp is mostly flat, but very much paved with cobblestones, and I found it very hard to walk for that reason.

Congratulations on having a desire to walk the Camino de Santiago. Not everyone gets the call, or feels the drive to do so. Blessed are those who do. Being somewhat of a “have to know everything about it before I do it” kind of person, my advice would be to download the profiles of the routes so you can compare altitudes. And also download any accompanying lodging information that will give you an idea how far you must walk each day. That will provide your most precise answer. Being a Floridian, and therefore only walking on flat land most of my life, I can say that almost any hill is a mountain to me. So, those who say the difference in a hill or a mountain is dependent on the observer are absolutely right! No matter which route you end up choosing, know it will be one of the most, if not THE most, memorable journeys of your life.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You could take the Camin Portugues Central route from Porto. This has one steep section after Ponte de Lima a climb of 1200 feet from Ponte de Lima to the top of the pass. However you take a local bus from Ponte de Lima that will drop you off at a village at the top. You can take the bus from the side of the Albergue/Hostel "Old Village Hostel" Good albergue, they did my washing for free:-}
Alternatively you could follow the Coastal Camino Portuguese which skirts the hills and meets up with the Central near Redondela
Hi @James Hale
Welcome to the forum.

Straight answer to your question ( taking into account your 2 quotes below :
Is The Portuguese Central (see @Marcus-UK post)
Which reasonably flat/non hilly routes would people recommend?
You include ‘reasonably’
Obviously I'd like to experience the 'full' Camino as best I can, and get my certificate in Santiago at the end.

You want to finish in Santiago

Buen camino.
Annie

There are a couple of things to consider, number 1 would be how far do you want to walk. Some people on this forum would consider 600k a short Camino, while a lot of first timers think that the minimum of 100k to get the compostella is a very long way. The other consideration, which most posters have addressed is what do you consider hilly. Maybe with a little more information, you will get much better help. Oh, and welcome to the forum, as you probably realise, there are a lot of people on here who very much want to help and guide you.

Hello!

Many thanks!
Hills.....you can't really avoid them. Some or steeper than others. My own opinion on hills, for what it's worth. When climbing a hill, never look up to the summit, it will never come. Look behind and congratulate yourself on what you have achieved.
Have a distraction or something meaningful when climbing steep hills. I say my prayers, but others may listen to music or have a good conversation with a fellow pilgrim, or think about that cool beer or glass of wine you will enjoy later.

Hello!

I didn't think that the Central route from Porto was overly steep.

Hello!

Many thanks!
Hi James, like you we prefer a flat walk with not too many hills or mountains. However, realistically, there are always hills at some point. We began the Camino Frances at St Jean Pied de Port and the first two days over the Pyrenees just about killed us even though we had thought we had done much training. Two years later, we set off from Lisbon inland to complete the Camino Portuguese (and Camino Finisterre - this is not exactly flat) . The first week was very flat and we were happy to have a hill or two after this. As mentioned already, when planning, try to keep the distances well within your capabilities and if there is a hill (mountain - though I have not encountered any mountaineering sections yet), make that day a much shorter distance. I found this worked for us. We are currently planning the Le Puy Camino. It has many hills! We will need to get started with our training. All the best with your planning. Buen Camino! / Bom Caminho! :)

Portuguese Coastal, Senda Litoral from Porto is pretty flat most of the way and has a good infrastructure!
I didn't think there was any serious climbs anywhere but that's my opinion (i am 67did it Sept 21); yours might be different!
If your already walking for several hours a day; i imagine if you decide a route you will get to Santiago.
Just go at your own pace,keep your pack at a sensible weight and enjoy the walk;if you find a hill take it slow and steady;it's not a race!

(if you do choose this route spend two or three days in Porto its wonderful)
Buen Camino
Woody
And good gelato, too!

... perhaps you could overcome your apparent concern regarding hills. They are often a very rewarding part of a journey, physically and mentally. There is something about the third dimension that is rewarding to the human DNA. Nearly everyone who can walk a flatter Camino can do a hilly Camino. And then you might yearn to walk over Somport Pass.
I yearn to walk over Somport Pass but have a floppy valve in my heart which slows me down and heats me up on hill ascents - so I take it easy and pace myself. But I could start at the top and walk down. I feel very grateful that I am able to walk with a pack and undertake these amazing Pilgrimmage routes.

I found during my camino that I enjoyed going up hill but was not so fond of the downhill.

As Roseanne Rosannadanna's father used to say, "It's always something"

The flattest route I've ever walked is the Paris Way, Chartres variant, 'til it reached SJPP anyway ...

The coastal Via Romea from here is pretty flat too, but it has some mountain sections, which the Paris Way hasn't.

I yearn to walk over Somport Pass
Some rough numbers:
The Frances from St Jean: Max elevation 1,450 metres, 20 km to the top, often walked in 1 day.
Over Somport: Max elevation 1,640 metres, many more km over 3 or 4 days, average grade ~ 1 / 3 of the Frances, giving the heart some relaxation.

Sense of well-being score: Highly elevated.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello!

Many thanks!
The Via de la Plata is the least vertically challenging I would suggest. That's why I'm doing it 😜

Hello!

Many thanks!
Thé Le Puy (chemin du St Jacques) route is quite hilly although beautiful.

We are talking about hills not mountains and the Camino takes the easiest way over all elevation gains. In most cases you can not avoid uphill…or downhill. This is not a race. You are walking a good deal of the day. If you are breathing hard or out of breath you are walking too fast. When going uphill you generally need to slow down and keep control of your breathing. If you keep control of your breathing you can walk all day…flat or uphill. Downhill is a different story. Downhill is the part that can be physically difficult. Hard on the body and with the possibility of slipping or sliding on slick or gravelly terrain. Here pace, footwear and aids like trekking poles can help alot. I would think most regular walkers can handle the uphills and downhills of the full Camino with proper pace on the uphills and care on downhill’s.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all - many thanks for all the fantastic replies! I'm truly very grateful. :)

Does anyone know where I can get a print-out of all the different main routes, so as to compare them? (Something @Treva mentioned in their post)

I'm fine with walking long distances across fairly flat terrain, or even small hills, but I do have some sort of phobia of heights/cliffs... very silly I know, but not much I can do about it, so really any tall mountains or steep vertical drops would be very difficult for me psychologically, if not physically. It's undiagnosed, but I assume some form of acrophobia or batophobia.

The Portuguese route sounds good - a coastal route from Lisbon up to Santiago would surely be an amazing experience. I'll also have to investigate the Via de la Plata it seems - I hope it's not absolutely baking hot, though.

Any other thoughts are appreciated. I'm not especially fit and I don't like steep inclines, but I wouldn't have any problem walking for half a day or so at a time; and as you say, it's a pilgrimage so you make your own schedule and there's no rush.

The Camino is a metaphor for life. Both in life and the Camino there are hills. By summiting a hill on the Camino, you will gain confidence and courage that you can conquer hills in life.

-Paul

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
... really any tall mountains or steep vertical drops would be very difficult for me psychologically, if not physically. It's undiagnosed, but I assume some form of acrophobia or batophobia.

The Portuguese route sounds good

That route would keep you from walking across the bridge over the reservoir at Portomarín. :eek: You wouldn't like that at all. And then there's that staircase immediately on the other side.

What time of year you want to walk, and which climate you're from would also be important information.

Vdlp in summer for someone from a colder climate would probably be difficult even without any hills, I'd guess... (I haven't walked that Camino, but remember almost collapsing on a 50m walk car --> my destination in andalucia once because of the heat... never experienced anything like that before, stepping out of a car with air condition it was like an invisible physical wall you ran into face first. Impressive. ).

Does anyone know where I can get a print-out of all the different main routes, so as to compare them? (Something @Treva mentioned in their post)

I'm fine with walking long distances across fairly flat terrain, or even small hills, but I do have some sort of phobia of heights/cliffs... very silly I know, but not much I can do about it, so really any tall mountains or steep vertical drops would be very difficult for me psychologically, if not physically. It's undiagnosed, but I assume some form of acrophobia or batophobia.

The Portuguese route sounds good - a coastal route from Lisbon up to Santiago would surely be an amazing experience. I'll also have to investigate the Via de la Plata it seems - I hope it's not absolutely baking hot, though.

Any other thoughts are appreciated. I'm not especially fit and I don't like steep inclines, but I wouldn't have any problem walking for half a day or so at a time; and as you say, it's a pilgrimage so you make your own schedule and there's no rush.
The Via de la Plata is not one for the summer, certainly not the section from Seville to Salamanca. The best site for routes is gronze.com but it's all in Spanish

I do have some sort of phobia of heights/cliffs.
This gives us a better idea of how to help! We have tagged a number of threads related to fear of heights with the tag "hazards". (There are threads about other hazards in that collection, as well, but you can browse through the list to find what might be helpful.)

€60,-

Here is a website where you can plan your daily walk on many routes. Choose EN at top right for English. When you have planned your walk for a given Camino, you can generate a walking plan, with distances, elevations, places, sleeping opportunities & much more:

And when you are done, you can print it and laminate it :cool:

I understand your concern as my husband can easily walk 20 km fairly flat but he would not be able to do hills with his knees😩

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Not an issue on the Camino Francés. The only Camino that I experienced any places that might trigger such a feeling was on the Camino del Norte, and there were only one or two, and ways to avoid them

That route would keep you from walking across the bridge over the reservoir at Portomarín. :eek: You wouldn't like that at all. And then there's that staircase immediately on the other side.
I just googled it for photos - thanks! I suppose I'd have to just look down and hold my nerve; if it needs to be crossed, it needs to be crossed!

Here is a website where you can plan your daily walk on many routes. Choose EN at top right for English. When you have planned your walk for a given Camino, you can generate a walking plan, with distances, elevations, places, sleeping opportunities & much more:

And when you are done, you can print it and laminate it :cool:
Much obliged, Alex - thank you!

There are several people that offer printed maps of the various Caminos. The Camino Forum store sells maps showing the different routes in Spain and Portugal produced by Wise Pilgrim and by the Spanish government. If you just want to see them to compare, you can use this online map I put together: https://www.google.com/mymaps/viewer?mid=1kY-ZPBKbZuHddt5e9JBCqHmAwG93kFVP&hl=en_GB

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Question: how does using albergues (and other hostels) work? Do you have to book in advance or can you just turn up and pay? What kind of prices are we talking about for this kind of accommodation?

Question: how does using albergues (and other hostels) work? Do you have to book in advance or can you just turn up and pay? What kind of prices are we talking about for this kind of accommodation?
Mostly just turn up. The possibility of booking (which is the minority of parish or local authority albergues) or not is noted on the Gronze website which has up to date info on whether albergues are open or not. It's in Spanish but it's easily navigated

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
No simple answer! Some private albergues accept advance bookings. Most municipal and religious albergues do not and are 'first come, first served'. There are still a few places which work on a donativo basis where you pay what you feel is appropriate. The provincial government albergues in Galicia charge €8 per night. I haven't walked the Camino Frances for several years but I think that €10 - €14 per night is roughly the range for private albergues there. The answer is complicated because there is no one authority or system for albergues.

I've showed up at hostels, albergues and even hotels all over Europe. If they were full, most have done an outstanding job of calling all over town to find a bed for me. The key is to be flexible in type of accommodations and have sufficient funds to cover any unexpected expense.

If Mary and Joseph found a place in Bethlehem, I'm sure you will find a place!

-Paul

Thanks!

And re the certificate in Santiago - how does that work? Do you need to keep some sort of log of your journey? Does it get stamped, for example? Or, are they just working on you being honest about where you started?

Thanks!

And re the certificate in Santiago - how does that work? Do you need to keep some sort of log of your journey? Does it get stamped, for example? Or, are they just working on you being honest about where you started?
You need an official credential. You can get one in advance from Ivar's mail order! You need it stamped at each stop and preferably twice a day on the final 100km

The certificate is called the Compostela. You need to walk the final 100 km into Santiago to receive one. As proof of your walk you carry a credencial, in which you receive stamps (sellos in Spanish) You need to get the credencial stamped twice daily during the last 100 km of your walk. As @frjuliangreen mentioned you can order one from Ivar's Camino Forum Store, or from your country's pilgrim association.

Here's the link to the website of the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago which includes information about the Compostela, credencial, etc.

As proof of your walk you carry a credencial,
And, to prevent some future confusion, the credential is also often called a pilgrim's passport (because you get it stamped as you move from place to place). And now, to confuse things, in conversation pilgrim's passport often gets shortened to just passport. You'll get used to it.

To get the compostela you must have two stamps a day during the last 100 km to Santiago, 200 km if you are traveling by bicycle. Before that one will do (or none or more, as you please). Many pilgrims love their souvenir stamped credentials more than their compostelas so I suggest getting your credential stamped at least once a day at the place you spend the night.

Last edited:
@frjuliangreen @trecile @Rick of Rick and Peg

Many thanks!

I have ordered a passport from Ivar's store for 5 euros (plus shipping + tip); hopefully it's okay for the Lisbon > Porto > Santiago route!

I will of course get it stamped at every stop - but who does the stamping? The hostel staff?

And when you say it needs to be stamped twice daily during the last 100km, how is this done in a manner which makes it certifiable/legit? Do you mean you need to walk two stops per day and have it stamped at each post? I am curious who the 'official' stampers are supposed to be. :)

Thank you once again. Once I receive my credencial/passport, do I need anything else in relation to the Camino?

I will of course get it stamped at every stop - but who does the stamping? The hostel staff?
Yes. And staff at other hotels and albergues along the way. And staff at bars, shops, churches, museums, post offices, police stations, and many other places. You can even come across places where the stamp is left out for you to stamp your credential yourself. You will have no problems finding places with sellos.

Have the stamps put in order on the page, left to right and up to down on each folded page before going to the next page. Write in the date if otherwise left empty.

Your credential will end up looking something like this:
pilgrims_passport.jpg

Yes. And staff at other hotels and albergues along the way. And staff at bars, shops, churches, museums, post offices, police stations, and many other places. You can even come across places where the stamp is left out for you to stamp your credential yourself. You will have no problems finding places with sellos.

Have the stamps put in order on the page, left to right and up to down on each folded page before going to the next page. Write in the date if otherwise left empty.

Your credential will end up looking something like this:
pilgrims_passport.jpg
Bravo for a very thorough answer Rick.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back