• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which last 100 Km.? Should I do Camino Frances or Portugal?

Time of past OR future Camino
Dont know yet (Portugal)
Hello Camino Community! Since I am new to this site and wanting to do a pilgrimage in July (the only time I have), I want to know which 6 days to Santiago? Last 100 km to Santiago the Portugese way or the Frances way?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome on the Forum Brenda

If you like the big crowds racing for a bed go for the France from Sarria

If you like to walk more peaceful , walk the Portugese from Tui.

If you like to walk in peace and quietness, walk the camino Inglès from Ferrol.

Buen camino

Hi Albertinho! Thank you for replying so quickly! I am getting almost obsessed with the thought of this pilgrimage, even though I only heard about it 6 months ago. I love hiking, and I love spiritual pilgrimage, but I have to admit, I have no idea what I am doing with the Camino. I just want to do it.
Also, I will be doing it alone so do you think the Portugese route would be better marked and traveled than the Ingles from Ferrol? I want to walk it alone but don't like the thought of being all day long without any other pilgrims. What do you think?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Any of the paths you walk will be busy in July, there's little chance of 'being alone all day'... ;)

You don't say where you're from, but is there any reason you have to 'finish' the camino in July this year? Why not walk for a week nearer to the 'start' of the Frances (I put that in quotes because you can start anywhere, even from your own front door!)

There is something magical about the Camino Frances, but the last 100km in July is like the proverbial bun fight, with holiday crowds and everybody rushing to get their compostela certificates. I guess it just depends on your idea of 'spiritual pilgrimage'... of course the destination is important, but if you'd just like to spend a week walking, reflecting, meeting others on a similar personal and spiritual journey, then I'd recommend doing a different stretch of the path!

The Camino Frances has caused all the popular buzz for a decade, so it will give you the best flavor of what you have been hearing about.

Buen camino.

Hello,

Either way, you can't go wrong. Each Camino offers something unique, I like them both. Caminho Portuguese for sure is peaceful, one can enjoy the solitude but still able to meet pilgrims from all walks of life. Camino Frances has it's allure and why not go and see what it is all about. Although it is very busy during summer months.

Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Consider the Camino Ingles from Ferrol to Santiago. It's a very nice walk - many have done it and there is a whole section on the forum. I've done it twice and enjoyed very much. It is very quiet - no crowds! It's a great atmosphere for reflection and contemplation.

Wow, you are all so wonderful in trying to help this very "green" pilgrim! Well I am from the U.S. and it is funny but I have been thinking of getting started in SJPP, then walking for 5-6 days and then skipping right to Santiago to see the city. I don't really care about the finish so much, but I would be climbing over a mountain. Then, how do I skip on to Santiago? Then, should I walk on to Muxia?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The camino experience from SJPP for 5-10 days is as exciting an experience as the last 100 km. You are starting out with others that have not been there before and the bonding begins there, even if it just recognizing some faces from the day before. If you start at Siarra, most pilgrims will have been on the road for weeks and you will be the new guy. I loved the start of the camino from SJPP - if I were to it again, I would do the start to Burgos or thereabouts, or to Estella and then move to the North Route to skip the crowds.

Regardless, Bon Camino!

Hi Albertinho! Thank you for replying so quickly! I am getting almost obsessed with the thought of this pilgrimage, even though I only heard about it 6 months ago. I love hiking, and I love spiritual pilgrimage, but I have to admit, I have no idea what I am doing with the Camino. I just want to do it.
Also, I will be doing it alone so do you think the Portugese route would be better marked and traveled than the Ingles from Ferrol? I want to walk it alone but don't like the thought of being all day long without any other pilgrims. What do you think?
Now I am responding late. Sorry. Just back from our caminho experiences and back to normal life :)
There was an incident on the caminho da Costa with a woman walking alone which ended up very well for the lady fortunately .so Inconsider to stay around with other walkers if you walk lonesome parts.
About the waymarking. i walked two Portuguese caminhos and the Inglish but there is no problem on either caminos with the waymarking.

I personally love the Portuguese, the people, the food, the wine

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back