• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which legs do I cut out?

Anna Russell

Time of past OR future Camino
Booked to start on August 02, 2017
Well it's finally happening! We arrive in Paris early on Aug 2, 2017 and will either fly or take the train to SJPdP and start walking on the 3rd. I have allowed 2 nights in Santiago since the return flight is rather early on September 3rd. Since we are not going to Finisterre do you think 2 nights is sufficient? I have drafted a preliminary itinerary and in order to walk most of the Camino I am cutting out the portion from Burgos to Ledigos only because I am short 4 days. We thought we would take a local bus for this portion. I would love to hear your comments if what I have planned is feasible. If not I welcome suggestions. Thank you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yeah, that sounds doable. Do whatever you need to do to get to where you want to go. The great thing about the Camino is the infrastructure and logistics. Plenty of buses and taxis to get you where you need to go.
Two nights in Santiago sounds good. Give you plenty of time to see the city. It's not that big, the historical part.
Be advised though, asking your question on this forum is like asking an abstract artist to draw a straight line.
You will never get a straight answer....;)

When I read your subject line the first thing that came to mind was...

as long as you keep the ones attached to your body, you can choose what you want. :p

However, having only ever walked the last 215 km to Santiago, I cannot advise on what part of the Frances you can skip. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Anna, welcome.
It depends on your comfortable pace.
And if you must cut out some days, rather than skipping the section between Burgos and Ledigos as a block consider cutting out Burgos to Rabe, Sahagun to Virgen del Camino or Hospital de Orbigo (depending on whether one takes the very nice alternate route through Vilar de Mazariffe).
This way you can walk in the most sublime parts of the meseta. Some think it's 'boring,' but not. It's a big wide open landscape that allows you to go within like nowhere else on the Camino.

If I had to cut something, I'd cut the way into Burgos. On the other hand, you may find that once you have walked for a while, you're strong enough (and willing) to walk longer distances, so you may not have to skip anything.

We skipped a stretch in 2004, and went back to walk it in 2012. The hospitaleros in Rabanal were very surprised when we rolled up in a taxi, collected their stamp and started walking...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh no, please don't - the joy I got from walking across almost the whole of Spain without any other transport lasts a long time (though I did allow myself to take the coach to Finisterre for the day)

And after walking in relative solitude for so long, Santiago itself is crowded and touristy and I'm happy to escape after mass at the cathedral

Much better, in my opinion, to walk a bit longer each day, forego a coffee break, have a shorter lunch break so that you walk all the way

Ok, Firstly, only 12% of Pilgrims walk the whole way from SJPP even if more say they do, so don't worry about it. Yes i was lucky enough to walk the whole way in 2014, but by half way i realsed it was the people you meet on the way that is the most important, not the route and that surprised me. Finding a Albergue with out wifi is nice, (stops people living on their phones and they talk to each other more).

I would recommend not planning where to miss as you can plan a day before, as bing flexible is good. But if you want to know where to miss, these are the legs to jump in order. so the Top one is the the worst etc

15 km in to Burgos (past the airport and industrial area)
Carrion - Terradillos - (over 17km of nothing)
Leon to Villadangos/Mazarife (and Even save two legs by going straight to Astorga)
Fromista to Carrion (you can jump two legs to Terradillos)

Finally you can save 15-26 km by getting the bus or taxi in to Burgos any where from St Juan de ortega

There is a nice hotel at Carrion, Real Monasterio San Zoilo that is worth staying in if you get there, but not if you wish to jump from Fromista to Terradillos,

i hope this helps

Check out the bus services first. There is no bus to or from Ledigos. There is a local bus a few times a day that passes by Terradillos but I can't tell you whether they pick up passengers at the stop. I agree with Chris San Zoilo is a great stop, it is an extraordinary piece of architectural craftsmanship. There are lots of taxis whizzing between Carrion and Sahagun, so that is an option; but then you will be missing one of the most beautiful part of the Meseta. I agree with several other posters that skipping some of the really boring industrial entry and exit ways to cities like Burgos, Leon, Ponferrada and Santiago could be a way to cut one of your legs "off."

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't like the idea of missing 'boring' bits out in a cherry picking manner. It doesn't seem in the right spirit of the camino somehow. My first camino I walked all the way. If I had not had enough time, I would have started somewhere like Pamplona. The contrast of the ugly and the beautiful, the boring and the interesting is the whole point. It's that that makes you think harder, learn more.

Since then I have taken a bus or taxi short distances very occasionally if there was a real problem, like a dangerous stretch of road combined with a very long stage on the Plata (I got a taxi a half stage), 40 degree heat last year on the Primitivo (took transport half of two stages, but still walked in the mornings). Some of my favourite memories of the French way are the walks across cities, which seemed almost miraculous when you think that no map whatsoever was needed: looking for the arrows on the kerb or post in the suburbs was like a treasure hunt. There used to be a day walking along (literally on) a freeway the whole day (no one mentions any more, I assume it is re routed), which I actually loved, because I saluted all the truckers, and they sounded their horns and flashed their lights back at me. Don't underestimate the sense of achievement that comes from an uninterrupted walk, and from being able to look at a map, and know you 'did it'.

Cherry picking would make you a touregrino. If you just want a lovely walk, go to Switzerland.

Last edited:
You know, I hesitated before I posted that answer--because one of the beauties of the Camino is it's entirety. Not only in the geographic sense but in the sense that it includes everything--the whole range from mossy beech forests to grimy industrial backstreets. No part left out. It's liberating to finally relax into the totality of the experience--letting the Camino just be what it is in the moment. And the next and the next. Without needing to change it to suit me.
So now seeing the other answers, I wish I had thought to say, "Just start in Pamplona and take a few less breaks for coffee." Prompted by others' better ideas, I'm changing my answer. :D Because that's what I'd do if I were in your shoes, @Anna Russell!

Edit: Notion 900 posted this while I was writing--and I cannot agree more. (And...huge parts are lovely, but the balance is there.)
Cherry picking would make you a touregrino. If you just want a lovely walk, go to Switzerland.

You seem to be referring to the Brierley stages, so I'll use those as a reference point.
The 2 'stages' after Burgos I thought were really nice, moving up onto the Meseta.

If I had to cut 4 'stages' I would pick these. But opinions will vary widely as people like different things.
So the stages I list as potentials to 'cut' are the less scenic ones (IMHO) or the ones I found hard going on my feet. (too much road for example)

Stage 3. Larrasoana to Pamplona. A lot of road.
Stage 12. St Juan to Burgos. A lot of road.
Stage 16. Fromista to Carrion. Mostly Senda beside a main road.
Stage 20. A lot of road.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't like the idea of missing 'boring' bits out in a cherry picking manner. It doesn't seem in the right spirit of the camino somehow. My first camino I walked all the way. If I had not had enough time, I would have started somewhere like Pamplona. The contrast of the ugly and the beautiful, the boring and the interesting is the whole point. It's that that makes you think harder, learn more.

Since then I have taken a bus or taxi short distances very occasionally if there was a real problem, like a dangerous stretch of road combined with a very long stage on the Plata - I got a taxi a half stage, 40 degree heat last year on the Primitivo (took transport half of two stages, but still walked in the morning). Some of my favourite memories of the French way are the walks across cities, which seemed almost miraculous when you think that no map whatsoever was needed: looking for the arrows on the kerb or post in the suburbs was like a treasure hunt. There used to be a day walking along (literally on) a freeway the whole day (no one mentions any more, I assume it is re routed), which I actually loved, because I saluted all the truckers, and they sounded their horns and flashed their lights back at me. Don't underestimate the sense of achievement that comes from an uninterrupted walk, and from being able to look at a map, and know you 'did it'.

The part along the Free way is still there, but there is now a concrete barrier separating pilgrims on parts they could not divert, and a lot of work as been done to put the path off the road now. so the dancing with death and the lorries is a lot safer.

Chris

You know, I hesitated before I posted that answer--because one of the beauties of the Camino is it's entirety. Not only in the geographic sense but in the sense that it includes everything--the whole range from mossy beech forests to grimy industrial backstreets. No part left out. It's liberating to finally relax into the totality of the experience--letting the Camino just be what it is in the moment. And the next and the next. Without needing to change it to suit me.
So now seeing the other answers, I wish I had thought to say, "Just start in Pamplona and take a few less breaks for coffee." Prompted by others' better ideas, I'm changing my answer. :D Because that's what I'd do if I were in your shoes, @Anna Russell!

Edit: Notion 900 posted this while I was writing--and I cannot agree more. (And...huge parts are lovely, but the balance is there.)

To add my comments, the stages i suggested to miss are only if you must do SJPP to Santiago. and if you must do this you are missing the point of the camino. its the journey and the people and places you see. don't over plan, just walk and see where its gets you. start in Pamplona of even Burgos if you need. i only planned my first 3 days and looked ahead the day before to see how far i would go, that way i did what my body said and also meant i talk more to the people i liked.

Staying in Albergues means to meet so many different people. i am going back to the Camino Portuguese next week, and i am looking forward more to meeting the people than seeing the places, I am sure others will differ, but getting in to a rhythm of the camino and finding your own way is better then planning it too much (and i always plan everything else)

Could not agree more with the true pilgrim rhetoric but walking past miles of car dealerships, strip malls, airports that usurped the original path of the Camino and places that remind me of Brooklyn and the Upper East Side of New York City don't do much to lift my spirits. Just MHO.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, Don, I don't much like them either. Thing is, world 'out there' is too darn undependable to be a source of permanent happiness--so the inside is where the happiness has to come from. And there's something I can do about that. So every time I catch myself whining about 'ugly,' or whatever...it's time for the daily Camino lesson in letting go of my preferences and letting the Camino just be as it is.
Sometimes I pass and sometimes I fail. Work in progress.:confused:
It's one of my favorite things about the Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, Don, I don't much like them either. Thing is, world 'out there' is too darn undependable to be a source of permanent happiness--so the inside is where the happiness has to come from. And there's something I can do about that. So every time I catch myself whining about 'ugly,' or whatever...it's time for the daily Camino lesson in letting go of my preferences and letting the Camino just be as it is.
Sometimes I pass and sometimes I fail. Work in progress.:confused:
It's one of my favorite things about the Camino.
Okey dokey, there are analogies I could quote ad infinitum regarding personal preference but I prefer not trudge there:rolleyes:

Last year, against my original goal, I "fell victim" to Brierley's suggestion to take a bus into and out of Leon, my feet hurt. Once on the bus and seeing the other pilgrims walking I realized that it was a mistake, for me. I have felt like I have unfinished business.

It is in seeing the ugly that we are able to truly appreciate beauty. I leave for "round two" soon. I am planning a few of the alternate routes and also to Finisterre. I agree with others that, whenever possible, that the camino should be experienced in its entirety. Edit: or at least not into segments here and there.

Last edited:
Could not disagree more about skipping the 17km of perfectly straight road in huge open sky. It is a sureal experience.

My worry was for the lady to do this in the middle of August. it will every hot and little or no where to get water..

€149,-
I have drafted a preliminary itinerary and in order to walk most of the Camino I am cutting out the portion from Burgos to Ledigos only because I am short 4 days. We thought we would take a local bus for this portion. I would love to hear your comments if what I have planned is feasible. If not I welcome suggestions. Thank you.
I might be able to come up with better legs to cut later but for now I will say instead of cutting from Burgos to Ledigos cut from Burgos to Sahagun (just a bit further on from Ledigos.) There are train stations in Burgos and Sahagun. But once you get to Sahagún walk backwards a few kilometers first to the Ermita Virgen del Puente and its nearby bridge. Also there is a portal that was erected recently to mark the halfway point of the Camino Frances. This doesn't save you much walking over your original plan but the transportation should be easier.

There are some pictures of the halfway portal and the ermita here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...int-marker-placed-right-before-sahagun.22425/

Oh no, please don't - the joy I got from walking across almost the whole of Spain without any other transport lasts a long time (though I did allow myself to take the coach to Finisterre for the day)

And after walking in relative solitude for so long, Santiago itself is crowded and touristy and I'm happy to escape after mass at the cathedral

Much better, in my opinion, to walk a bit longer each day, forego a coffee break, have a shorter lunch break so that you walk all the way
To walk a little longer each day is my preference however I am walking with my sister and she doesn't think that she will be able to. As it is she thinks the daily legs are a lot of kms.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Busing from Najera or Santo Domingo to Burgos saves you 3 to 4 Brierley guidebook stages. Then Sahagun to Leon saves you 2 and a half. Leon to Astorga saves you 2. That gives you a couple of days to sightsee in Burgos, Leon and Astorga and doesn't cut too much out that is vastly different from what you see when you are walking. Transportation arrangements should be easy.

Since then I have taken a bus or taxi short distances very occasionally if there was a real problem, like a dangerous stretch of road combined with a very long stage on the Plata - I got a taxi a half stage, 40 degree heat last year on the Primitivo (took transport half of two stages, but still walked in the morning). Some of my favourite memories of the French way are the walks across cities, which seemed almost miraculous when you think that no map whatsoever was needed: looking for the arrows on the kerb or post in the suburbs was like a treasure hunt. There used to be a day walking along (literally on) a freeway the whole day (no one mentions any more, I assume it is re routed), which I actually loved, because I saluted all the truckers, and they sounded their horns and flashed their lights back at me. Don't underestimate the sense of achievement that comes from an uninterrupted walk, and from being able to look at a map, and know you 'did it'.

I did all of it the first time, every metre, with all my kit on my back, - it does give you that buzz when you walk into S de C, knowing you did it all!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My preference would be a continuous walk without skipping around. If I didn't have enough days to walk the "complete" Frances, and my goal was to arrive in Santiago I would start closer to Santiago.

And with a tight time frame I would probably start closer than Pamplona, because I'd want to plan a couple of extra days for contingencies. You can always either walk or bus to Finisterre and/or Muxia if you have time at the end.

So basically, figure out roughly how far you want to walk daily and work backwards from Santiago to get to your starting point, and add a couple of days for contingencies.

Hi, best not to plan which legs you are going to cut out – unless, of course, you are booking all your accommodation in advance. The best places to jump ahead will depend on different things:

A very hot day (yes);

A very wet day (yes);

A very pleasant, cool walking day (no);

A tummy bug (yes);

You want to stay around new friends (no);

You want to get away from certain people (yes);

You are caught in the middle of a “wave” (yes);

You want to stay in the “bubble” (no);

You have blisters (yes);

You feel strong and can walk far (no);

You catch a cold (yes);

My suggestion is to go with the flow. You will know when you get there when it’s time to jump ahead. Just don’t do it in the last 100kms if you want your compostela.
Jill

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did all of it the first time, every metre, with all my kit on my back, - it does give you that buzz when you walk into S de C, knowing you did it all!!!
Yeah, that was pretty cool I guess. I didn't think so much as to where I started, as to the fact that I was at the cathedral. The object of my pilgrimage. Seeing the cathedral is what gave me the "buzz", not the physical feat. I would have had the same feeling no matter where I started my walk, it just happened to be I started in SJPdP.
"All" is a relative term. I suppose a resident of say, Burgos decided to walk out their front door and walk to SDC. They did it "all". I just happened to be flying all the way to Spain, had the time and resources, so I decided to start as far back as I reasonably could, and that was SJPdP.

So basically, figure out roughly how far you want to walk daily and work backwards from Santiago to get to your starting point, and add a couple of days for contingencies.
I thought I would work up an example of how to do this.

For this example let's say you have 30 days available for your walk. And let's assume you want to go slow, say at about 15 km per day. That's about 9 to 10 miles per day. If that is the case then you can expect to walk 450 kms.

Now look at a guidebook. I have the one written by John Brierley. He divides the Camino Francés into 33 stages. At the top of the page for the start of each stage he has the stage number in white inside a black box. Next to that he has the number of kilometers left to walk to get to Santiago.

His stage 15 starts from Castrojeriz and he says there are 449 km to go from Castrojeriz. But notice that if you start from Castrojeriz you will pass through León on the way and that is worth a day to see. And since you will be walking for 4 weeks you may want two rest days in addition. That means three days with no walking. So you modify your original plan to be 27 days of walking at 15 km per day. That is 405 kms.

Looking at the Brierley guide again you see that his stage 17 begins at Carrión de los Condes and he says there are 405 kms between Carrión and Santiago. So there you go. Start in Carrión de los Condes, walk, on average, your 15 km per day, stop a day in León and two other places and get to Santiago on day 30 of your trip.

By the way, Brierley's guide says that there are 776 km from St. Jean to Santiago and, at 33 stages, that roughly gives you daily stages of 25 kilometers (15 miles) to do his suggested walk.

Another possibility is consider doing the Camino Frances in 2 parts. I actually had to split it into three as when I was working, I was not able to take more than 2 weeks off in a row, even though I did have more holidays. Take the days you have and then back up from Santiago and determine a starting point. Build in a bunch of rest days. Consider starting in Burgos and plan to walk to Finisterre in year one as well. Burgos is easy to get to as you can bus from Madrid. This way you have a continuous unbroken stretch, you can get your Compostela and get to Finistere as well within your time frame.
If you love the experience as much as most of us do, you could come back the following year and do St. Jean to Burgos.
In 2016, we started in St. Jean, walked to Burgos and then jumped on a bus to Sarria and re-walked the final 5 days into Santiago again, but with different overnight stops than what we had done in 2014.

My worry was for the lady to do this in the middle of August. it will be very hot and little or nowhere to get water..
I forgot she was walking in August! I love the meseta but I personally would not walk it in August. I have walked the Camino Frances in early June and in early September in two different years and the temperature was in the low 30's by noon. When I worked at an albergue in Estella the second half of June 2015, the daytime temps got into the high 30's. Some guests left at 4:30am and most were gone before sunrise, walking in the dark to avoid the heat.

I think the OP said they had time constraints and have to cut a few days off, and wouldn't be able to walk the entire length, you know because of job obligations, family obligations, etc. Not everyone is able to jump off the grid and live in a "Camino bubble" for as long as they want, ha ha.
I was only trying to be helpful with my suggestions. I admit that I live off the grid but that doesn't exactly mean I'm in a "Camino bubble" does it? Ultreia amigo!

I was only trying to be helpful with my suggestions. I admit that I live off the grid but that doesn't exactly mean I'm in a "Camino bubble" does it? Ultreia amigo!
ha ha...no Don you are not
I remember from our conversations you been around the block a few times and back...been to a lot of places
ultreia

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Anna, there is good bus service in many of these places. A few of the places you'll miss were places I would NOT have wanted to miss - such as Boadilla del Camino and Carrion de los Condes. There's some pleasant canal-walking during those days also. What I would do is take the morning bus from Belorado into Burgos to miss that mess, walk the riverwalk in Burgos to see the Cartuja de Miraflores, see the Cathedral and it's museum, and see Las Huelgas if you have time in Burgos. That could save you 2 days of less pleasant walking. Then I'd hike the days to Carrion de los Condes, another great little town, and take the 11:20 ALSA out the next day straight to Leon - missing some (to me) dead boring parts, some of it senda along a main highway. That could save you about 4 days. That way, you could savor the rest and linger where you liked. Going out of Leon, you could also take the local bus to La Virgen del Camino (about 10 minutes and missing the tricky part of getting out of Leon proper) and take the alternate path via Oncina onward - pleasant, and with lots of stork's nests in the bell towers. That avoids the senda-walking that day. The rest is a joy to walk. Happy planning!

Caught a bus from Torres del Rio to Logroño while my sister and her husband walked because I knew I couldn't walk fast enough for us to get there in time for the wine festival that was on.
Was feeling uncomfortable about it because 'real' pilgrims do not catch buses. That is until the bus pulled up and the driver opened the automatic luggage doors and the luggage bay was full of backpacks and walking poles. :p:p:p
BTW thoroughly enjoyed the bus ride. It was part of the adventure to be catching a local bus in rural Spain. It was easy to do as well as remarkably cheap. Also the hospitalero at Torres del Rio was very helpful in giving info about where the bus stop was and the time of the bus.
Buen camino to you and your sister.

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of it in that way. Very thought provoking and nicely written. Sometimes I think the cherry picking comes from a limited time available away from home, not really preferring to be a tourigrino. And as a result, trying not to miss what you consider to be the "best parts", which of course is subjective to each person's tastes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Yes, it's easy to start in Pamplona, but I absolutely loved starting in SJPdP in spring and treasure those memories. It was a delightful start to the Camino on the Valcarlos route, like a fairy tale with tiny leaves forming on trees in the woods and and flowering buds everywhere...and oh, yes, all those pretty horses!

Last edited:
To walk a little longer each day is my preference however I am walking with my sister and she doesn't think that she will be able to. As it is she thinks the daily legs are a lot of kms.
This may or may not be helpful for her. I am going at my walk like I have always done long car rides...I break it down into small, manageable sections, and do those sections one at a time, stopping to stretch and grab something to eat or drink in-between. When I look at the big picture, it's going to be just me and the path...I don't have to walk the dogs, check the computer, do piles of laundry, cook for myself, drive anywhere...my "job" for the day will be walking! I can do that!

Well it's finally happening! We arrive in Paris early on Aug 2, 2017 and will either fly or take the train to SJPdP and start walking on the 3rd. I have allowed 2 nights in Santiago since the return flight is rather early on September 3rd. Since we are not going to Finisterre do you think 2 nights is sufficient? I have drafted a preliminary itinerary and in order to walk most of the Camino I am cutting out the portion from Burgos to Ledigos only because I am short 4 days. We thought we would take a local bus for this portion. I would love to hear your comments if what I have planned is feasible. If not I welcome suggestions. Thank you.

Hola Anna and welcome to the Forum. Flying from Ottawa to Paris and then on to St Jean and walking the next day - hope you can handle to jet lag!!
As for days/legs you intend to omit I would agree about sacrificing something other than the Meseta. My suggestion - get a bus from Belorado to Burgos and maybe another from Leon to Hospital del Orbigo. These legs have a lot of uninteresting industrial areas. Where as the Meseta is something to be experienced - even if it is going to be in the middle of the Spanish summer. Just start early and stop around 1.00 or 2.00 pm each day. Buen Camino!!:)

2 cents not even worth 1. I had to make adjustments, I took public transport, bus, train and taxi into and out of the big cities to make time. Sometimes, I took a taxi and then walked, just to make up time. I dawdle.

In all honesty, I will walk again this year so I can do it all giving myself almost twice the time. I love sunrises, dew on spiderwebs, flocks of sheep, herds of cows and all such things.

Buen Camino

I love your reply Kanga. For me, the first time I had the choice of totally failing or making adjustments. This time around, I am hoping to keep all body parts.

Pat's post won't make sense without explanation - I deleted my post - levity today seemed not quite right. Although in tough times we probably help each other most with humour!

€149,-
Just to expand a tad. To me, kindness laughter and humor help me through difficult times, so even though I hadn't followed Kanga's thread, I understood and loved her message.

We each have a Camino we need to walk. Sometimes we know why, sometimes not. My only thought is do what you need to do and know that whatever you do is the right thing at that time.

Sorry to talk so much. Be well, be happy

ha ha...no Don you are not
I remember from our conversations you been around the block a few times and back...been to a lot of places
ultreia
Back at you, bro! I was lucky and managed to stay out of combat zones, well except for that little conflict in Cote d'Ivoire.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Anna, there is good bus service in many of these places. A few of the places you'll miss were places I would NOT have wanted to miss - such as Boadilla del Camino and Carrion de los Condes. There's some pleasant canal-walking during those days also. What I would do is take the morning bus from Belorado into Burgos to miss that mess, walk the riverwalk in Burgos to see the Cartuja de Miraflores, see the Cathedral and it's museum, and see Las Huelgas if you have time in Burgos. That could save you 2 days of less pleasant walking. Then I'd hike the days to Carrion de los Condes, another great little town, and take the 11:20 ALSA out the next day straight to Leon - missing some (to me) dead boring parts, some of it senda along a main highway. That could save you about 4 days. That way, you could savor the rest and linger where you liked. Going out of Leon, you could also take the local bus to La Virgen del Camino (about 10 minutes and missing the tricky part of getting out of Leon proper) and take the alternate path via Oncina onward - pleasant, and with lots of stork's nests in the bell towers. That avoids the senda-walking that day. The rest is a joy to walk. Happy planning!

These references to "senda." When I look up the word it say it's a path. Is it actually being used to mean a concrete sidewalk? I've got a lot to learn in Spanish by September. Thanks!

Hi, the term “senda” is often referred to on the camino as the path especially built for pilgrims, to get them off the road and away from the traffic.
Jill
20140630_145846 Carrion 6 kmsb.jpg

I would cut out the leg walking into Leon and the partial leg walking out of Leon to La Virgen Del Camino where the fork is for the main and alternate routes(in the Brierley guide). I compare it to walking into and out of Los Angeles. I skipped it at the recommendation of a CF veteran and I am glad I did. I was precariously battling tendonitis and that would have been a waste of my legs. That is another day and a half you can cut out with out missing anything. I suggest staying in Leon however; it is a beautiful city!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you walk into Burgoes or into Leon, through the 'industrial areas' (more like car dealerships, warehouses and such--no big smelly factories or heaps of debris), most likely you will be so engaged in conversation with the person or people you have met and become friends (or better still, Camino family members) that you won't notice your surroundings.

You might be an aficionado of architecture and find the path through the business park areas intriguing...these places are usually of a more stripped down, clean modern design; watching the cities transform from modern industrial to ancient urban is (to me) very interesting.

I'll echo others above and suggest you start farther along the Camino Frances--such as Pamplona--and walk the rest of the route without skipping portions of this particular route. There will be parts you love, parts you like, parts you don't like, but you won't know until you see them for yourself. Then you will know for the next time you walk to see St James... :)

Last edited:
DEFINITELY

I quite liked the nothingness of it.

Leon to Villadangos/Mazarife (and Even save two legs by going straight to Astorga)
Leon to Villadangos definitely - I suggest taking the bus from Leon all the way to Hospital d'Obrigo (30 mins)

I hadn't thought of this, but looking over it I think this is a great suggestion.

Finally you can save 15-26 km by getting the bus or taxi in to Burgos any where from St Juan de ortega

To the best of my knowledge there closest bus is from Villafranca Montes de Oca, 12 km before San Juan de Ortega, or else Villafria, 17 km after San Juan de Ortega. I took the bus from Belorado all the way to Burgos - the only part that I 'skipped' between SJPP and Santiago.

I would skip the above too and will do this next time.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My husband would say: "Why bother walking at all? Why do you think wheels were invented?".

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.