• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Lisbon Train Station is closest to The Cathedral?

John Hussey

I have just discovered that there are two train stations in Lisbon: "Estación Oriente" y "Santa Apolonia".

I will be flying into Madrid next April and will take the train to Lisbon and my question is, which station is closest to the Cathedral where I will obtain my credential?

Unless, of course, someone can suggest a better way to get there?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Santa Apalonia station is close by the Sé cathedral. the Sé cathedral is in the Alfama area .
The Oriente is far from the towncenter, nearby the former exhibition park parque das Naçaoes.

Take the Metro from the airport, and transfer to the Verde line.
As far as I do remember there is no trainstation at the international airport of Lisbon so the train coming from Madrid won't stop there.
But arriving at the airport the bus is a good option to travel to down town.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is only one train a day between Lisbon and Madrid, and it is very slow and overnight. It's quite adequate if you get a sleeper and have a glass of wine before turning in. If you're coming in from the US into Madrid, though, you will arrive in the morning, and not leave for Lisbon till nighttime.

It may be too late for this, but if you haven't already bought your ticket, you should check the cost of adding on the flight to Lisbon from Madrid. And make your return ticket, assuming you are walking to Santiago, from Santiago to Madrid to US. It's called the multi-city option on kayak and other travel websites and you may be surprised at how cheap it is. I fly to Lisbon once a year, and I always go through Madrid -- flight arrives early in the morning, and then I'm in Lisbon by 10 or so. Taking the train will add at least another whole day, but maybe that's part of the adventure for you.

You might want to get the credential at home before you leave from the American Pilgrims on the Camino. They have a very nice credential and they send it quickly. They request a donation, but there is no charge. Buen caminio, Laurie

I have just discovered that there are two train stations in Lisbon: "Estación Oriente" y "Santa Apolonia".

I will be flying into Madrid next April and will take the train to Lisbon and my question is, which station is closest to the Cathedral where I will obtain my credential?

Unless, of course, someone can suggest a better way to get there?
there are more than just two train stations in Lisbon - I've used at least three --- depending to where /which direction I was going.
http://lisbonportugal.ca/transportation/trainstation.html
http://gospain.about.com/od/Lisbon/qt/Train-And-Bus-Stations-In-Lisbon.htm
http://lisbon.angloinfo.com/information/transport/public-transport/regional-train-services/

you can also obtain the credential at this church, near/next to the metro stop Baixo CHIADO: Basilica dos Martires
http://www.gcatholic.org/churches/europe/0014.htm
get the credential INSIDE the church, towards your left, in the Sakristy (or however it's spelled) - opens @ 17:00hr I recall. - it's a very central location ...

http://www.metrolisboa.pt/eng/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Diagrama_rede_Metro_julho2012.pdf
from Santa Apolonia station it's two metro stops (blue line) the Baixo Chiado stop.
Bom Caminho!

As far as I do remember there is no trainstation at the international airport of Lisbon so the train coming from Madrid won't stop there.
But arriving at the airport the bus is a good option to travel to down town.
Not that it matters for the OP but there is a metro stop at the airport where you can take a metro train into town. There is also a stop at Santa Apolonia. Santa Apolonia is a little over a km from the Cathedral and a fairly easy walk (at least compared to the next 650km). As Amorfati says, you are supposed to be able to get your credencials from the Basilica dos Martires. I got mine from the Cathedral.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not that it matters for the OP but there is a metro stop at the airport where you can take a metro train into town. There is also a stop at Santa Apolonia. Santa Apolonia is a little over a km from the Cathedral and a fairly easy walk (at least compared to the next 650km). As Amorfati says, you are supposed to be able to get your credencials from the Basilica dos Martires. I got mine from the Cathedral.
That is right but I reacted on Falcon's remark about a linha verde,the bus that stops among others at Rossia in the heart of Lisbon as we did last year.

We rented an appartement at AIRBNB for 2 nights just 50 meters from the Sé cathedral (as we also did in Santiago just over the busstation)
So all highlights of sightseeing except for the tower of Belèm and the monastério Jeronimo were close by.
Bom caminho

Last edited:
Taxis in Lisbon don't cost very much at all if you do find yourself at the wrong station you'll be able to get to the cathedral for not much money at all I'm sure.

Further up the hill from the cathedral is the Church of St James (it's close to the castle). The yellow arrows start from there.

I agree with Whalleyranger that cabs are cheap and plentiful. But cabbies love foreigners. I take cabs a lot in Lisbon, and I frequently have to tell the driver to put on the "taximetro" or let him know that I know where I am going so he shouldn't take me on a roundabout route. In fact, things are so bad that my Lisbon friends recommend that I get a taxi in the Departures part of the Lisbon airport rather than at Arrivals, where all the cabbies waiting to scam tourists are lining up. It won't be a huge amount of money, though, so the cab will still be a bargain by US standards.

It may be that there are arrows starting at the Church of St. James, I have never seen them. But I know for a fact that the arrows begin right at the Cathedral door, so you can always start there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

~ just to clarify - one actually IS able to get the credentials at the Basilica dos Martires, not just 'supposedly' (I did, and a good number of other prospective pilgrims on that day that I was there, late april 2014, including a polish family with two teenage boys. People / attendants of the church were very helpful when i walked around the church 'in search of...')
(pardon, english is second language, i often hear the word 'supposed' used when something is intended to be there or to happen, but not sure or certain if it is actually so. not mean to meddle or be a school m'am, just to be clarifying)

No worries. I was meaning that you should be able to get a credencial at Basilica dos Martires according to other sources but that I didn't have first hand experience to say it's true with 100% certainty. My first language is also not English so sometimes what I mean doesn't exactly match what I say / type.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back