• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which next?

JMA

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2012) / Portugues (2015) / Ingles (2018) / Primitivo (2019)
Hello!

I've just completed my fourth camino route, and I'm interested if anyone can make any recommendations on which route I could consider next.

My history is:
2012 - Frances from St Jean, then Finisterre/Muxia
2015 - Portugues Central from Porto, then Finisterre/Muxia
2018 - Ingles from Ferrol, then Finisterre/Muxia
2019 - Primitivo from Oviedo, then Finisterre/Muxia

Far from experiencing diminishing returns - the Primitivo was actually my favourite yet! I'm already looking to next summer - but don't know what to look at next?

The 'big names' I've yet to look at are Norte and Via De La Plata - but I won't be able to get so long off work, and I don't know how I'll feel about starting one 'midway' if that makes sense... although I suppose all routes are arguably a mid point on a longer way!

My desirable criteria are:
- It fits sensibly into a stretched 'fortnight' (the most recent trip on the Primitivo was the longest I've ever been able to take off work at 18 days - I could do the same again but not much more)
- It's a fairly 'full and finished' version of the route (I.e. it ultimately ends in Santiago, it starts at a traditional starting point rather than randomly midway)
- Enough footfall/infrastructure that I can stay in albergues rather than pensions or hotels etc

I'd be keen to hear any suggestions to research :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you need to finish in Santiago, you only have the Invierno left.

Since you seem to enjoy this, perhaps it is time to consider starting much further away and plan to do it in segments over the coming years. French folks often do a week at a time, segment by segment to finish. I met a Dutch man who spent a month walking each year for three years, from his door in Holland.

There are other, short caminos that are connectors, like the Aragon, that don't end in Santiago.

A shorter Camino but starting in Irun and ending in Santo Domingo de la Calzada or Burgos : Camino Vasco Interior or Via de Bayona. Not ending in Santiago but Irun is definitely a clear starting point.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
From Madrid you can walk to Sahagun and from Oloron-Ste. Marie you can walk to Puenta la Reina or Pamplona in about 2 weeks. Both are lovely routes and less traveled

If you want to finish in Santiago than I would agree with Jean Ti and start in Gijon on the Norte. If you want some more company with plenty of albergues to stay in start in Irun on the Norte and you will see some of the most magnificent scenery on any Camino. You could easily make it to Santander and maybe even a little further depending on how you walk. It is a really beautiful and mellow camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It seems that you kind of like hilly Caminos and if you want to end it in Santiago then I can only think about three more (but they are not extremely hilly though):
Invierno from Ponferrada or
Sanabres from Granja de Moreruela (2 days after Zamora) or
Via de la Plata Portugues from Zamora.

All three coming to Santiago on Sanabres. I have walked first two and liked them both. And I heard (and saw photos) a lot of praise for the third one.

Otherwise if Santiago isn't main goal then you have some "shorter" Caminos that goes through Basque Country, Asturias and Cantabria like Voie de la Nive, Baztan, already mentioned Via de Bayona/Vasco del Interior, Olvidado, Ruta del Besaya, Lebaniego+Vadiniense, Salvador etc. Some with more pilgrim orientated infrastructure some with much less.
Or in Galicia Ruta del Mar and Camino dos Faros and you could visit Santiago afterwards. Or maybe walk Fisterra-Muxia (Muxia-Fisterra)-Santiago route.

Gronze has 13 stages for Montserrat to the Camino Aragonese. I'm giving it a try in about a month.

See this Gronze webpage:

For forum threads on this camino see:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I slightly favour the Sanabrés over the Norte, having done both. On the Sanabrés starting at Pueblo de Sanabria makes historical sense, but if you want to keep it down to the last 100km start at Ourense (who does not love a spa town - don't forget your swimmers) from the wonderful cathedral with its beautifully coloured Portico which is similar to the restored Portico of Glory in SDC.

The entry into Santiago from the Sanabrés is also much nicer than the Norte. The Norte joins the CF at Arzua, whereas the entry from the Sanabrés avoids all the major roads and you pop out from a green lane with the cathedral immediately ahead. Magic.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to make suggestions! I will now do some research - it sounds like I have quite a few exciting options! 😊

It seems that you kind of like hilly Caminos and if you want to end it in Santiago then I can only think about three more (but they are not extremely hilly though):
Invierno from Ponferrada or
Sanabres from Granja de Moreruela (2 days after Zamora) or
Via de la Plata Portugues from Zamora.

All three coming to Santiago on Sanabres. I have walked first two and liked them both. And I heard (and saw photos) a lot of praise for the third one.

Otherwise if Santiago isn't main goal then you have some "shorter" Caminos that goes through Basque Country, Asturias and Cantabria like Voie de la Nive, Baztan, already mentioned Via de Bayona/Vasco del Interior, Olvidado, Ruta del Besaya, Lebaniego+Vadiniense, Salvador etc. Some with more pilgrim orientated infrastructure some with much less.
Or in Galicia Ruta del Mar and Camino dos Faros and you could visit Santiago afterwards. Or maybe walk Fisterra-Muxia (Muxia-Fisterra)-Santiago route.
Great ideas @KinkyOne thanks! Also thinking about next year. Well I have been back nearly a week from completing VdlP. So it's about time to start planning again lol 🤗🤗🤗

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"The entry into Santiago from the Sanabrés is also much nicer than the Norte. The Norte joins the CF at Arzua, whereas the entry from the Sanabrés avoids all the major roads and you pop out from a green lane with the cathedral immediately ahead. Magic."
They've changed the Norte so you don't have to continue on the Frances at Arzua. It's a long slog but in hindsight I wish we had taken it.

Hello!

I've just completed my fourth camino route, and I'm interested if anyone can make any recommendations on which route I could consider next.

My history is:
2012 - Frances from St Jean, then Finisterre/Muxia
2015 - Portugues Central from Porto, then Finisterre/Muxia
2018 - Ingles from Ferrol, then Finisterre/Muxia
2019 - Primitivo from Oviedo, then Finisterre/Muxia

Far from experiencing diminishing returns - the Primitivo was actually my favourite yet! I'm already looking to next summer - but don't know what to look at next?

The 'big names' I've yet to look at are Norte and Via De La Plata - but I won't be able to get so long off work, and I don't know how I'll feel about starting one 'midway' if that makes sense... although I suppose all routes are arguably a mid point on a longer way!

My desirable criteria are:
- It fits sensibly into a stretched 'fortnight' (the most recent trip on the Primitivo was the longest I've ever been able to take off work at 18 days - I could do the same again but not much more)
- It's a fairly 'full and finished' version of the route (I.e. it ultimately ends in Santiago, it starts at a traditional starting point rather than randomly midway)
- Enough footfall/infrastructure that I can stay in albergues rather than pensions or hotels etc

I'd be keen to hear any suggestions to research :)
The Norte! It's the best!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.