• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which of these 3 start dates would you pick?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
I'm hoping to walk the VdlP next year 2022, and have the option of three start dates.
Maybe those who have walked the VdlP before could share some tips and opinions?

Firstly I have no idea if I can go.
Hopefully International travel will have opened for us here in Australia, and I'll feel it safe enough to go. :rolleyes:

With that in mind, I was actually planning to delay till 2023.
But..........

Perhaps I am being called? :)

I have just found out that there is a 40 year reunion that I really want to attend, in London in the first week of April 2022.

So if I'm travelling half-way around the World for that, I'd be crazy not to add on a Camino!!

I was originally planning my VdlP to start in early March.
I'm a very slow walker and I'm allowing myself 60 days!
That includes 5 rest/sightseeing days and 5 'short' days. (<12 kms)
The short days are to break up long sections or to have late starts to allow more sight seeing.
I like to take my time :rolleyes:

So as I see it, I have three broad options regarding timing, if I'm to build this Camino around the Reunion in London.

Start 1st February.
Meaning I would end about 1st April.
This means walking my Camino before the reunion.
Cold, Wet?

Start 9th April
Meaning I would end about 8th June.
This means walking after the reunion.
But it could be getting hot in the last few weeks?
Though I have usually finished the CF in mid June, and that was OK.
The VdlP being a bit further South though?
Too hot?

Start 3rd March
Ending about 5th May
Start date as planned.
But take a break halfway (ish) maybe Salamanca, to go to London for 2-3 days.
Then return to the Camino to pick up where I left off.

What would you do?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Start 9th April
Too hot?
I'd take the 9th April option, to get the reunion done first, so I could be "free" for the Camino. The last few weeks will already be reasonably north in Spain, so I wouldn't expect conditions to be much different from the Camino Frances.

Either 1 Feb or 9 April and trust the Camino will help out a wee bit on the weather. Give each "event" it's due. But I must confess, I've not been on the VdlP, so what do I know about weather...;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Robo,
I'm sure you'll get lots of different answers, but here are some things I've experienced on 4 different springtime trips to the part of Andalucia north of Sevilla where the VDLP runs:
February - often cold and rainy
March - still cool and rainy
April - really nice
May - some days that feel on the hot side

You can check out weather averages on this site with great graphs for average highs and lows and precipitation by month: https://weatherspark.com/countries/ES

Here's a photo of two charts for Guillena in April:
Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 7.28.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 7.32.10 PM.png

Hi Robo,
I'm sure you'll get lots of different answers, but here are some things I've experienced on 4 different springtime trips to the part of Andalucia north of Sevilla where the VDLP runs:
February - often cold and rainy
March - still cool and rainy
April - really nice
May - some days that feel on the hot side

You can check out weather averages on this site with great graphs for average highs and lows and precipitation by month: https://weatherspark.com/countries/ES

Here's a photo of two charts for Guillena in April:
View attachment 108961 View attachment 108962

Given we are from very different parts of the World, what temperature for you "feels on the hot side"
Once it gets over 30C / 86F I feel that's getting quite hot to walk :(
Means I'm having to carry a lot more water too........

Given we are from very different parts of the World, what temperature for you "feels on the hot side"
I agree - anything over 30C feels hot for walking. Guillena reaches 30C as its average daily high for the first time (during an average year) on May 31, according to WeatherSpark. Of course, any given year may not be 'average'..... But still, you'd be long gone from that area by May 31 if you start April 9. The average highs in April are 22-24C.

The average daily high for Salamanca on May 31 is 23C.
Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 8.00.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-10 at 8.01.28 PM.png

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi @Robo - from Pretty Beach about 90 kms north of Sydney. For what it’s worth from an Aussie / French couple who haven’t yet walked the VdeP -

We are also hoping to walk VdeP and Sanabres in early 2022. From my reading a 1 April start looks good, though bearing in mind we will most likely start in Merida where we finished the Mozarabe - so geography/ temperature wise we will be about 200 kms north of Seville. But even if starting in a Seville we’d probably feel fine with a 1 April start.

let’s hope we will be able to travel internationally by then. I’m optimistic, 🤞

pS. I know 1 April is not one of your dates, but just sayin’ around that time looks good.

G'Day Robo - I started the VDLP from Merida in May 2017 and found that a good starting date. If you are intending to walk the whole Camino then IMHO late Spring is better, Easter in Seville is a really big event and in fact throughout all Spain. From memory Easter in 2022 is around 14/15/16/17/18 (Easter Thursday to Monday) and from what I have read its a time to avoid. The Feb date I think is far to early.Best of luck with your Camino - I am hoping to walk from Porto starting in September 2022. Cheers

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Robo. Mike makes a good point about Easter being a problem time, UNLESS you planned an extended stop in Merida to cover the festivities - and having pre-booked accomodation. It’s definitely the best time to walk.

I'm hoping to walk the VdlP next year 2022, and have the option of three start dates.

Hopefully International travel will have opened for us here in Australia, and I'll feel it safe enough to go. :rolleyes:

But..........

I have just found out that there is a 40 year reunion that I really want to attend, in London in the first week of April 2022.

So if I'm travelling half-way around the World for that, I'd be crazy not to add on a Camino!!

The short days are to break up long sections or to have late starts to allow more sight seeing.

So as I see it, I have three broad options regarding timing, if I'm to build this Camino around the Reunion in London.

Start 1st February.
Cold, Wet?

Start 9th April
Too hot?

Start 3rd March
Ending about 5th May
Start date as planned.

What would you do?
I would also say the 9th April. It gets cooler as you walk North .I have twice started the week after Easter.
Hope we get to go next April.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Start 9th April
Too hot?
This is my choice too. We walked parallel to the VdlP (the Caminho Nascente in Portugal) this year starting in late April and the weather was perfect (until Galicia, obviously!). I wouldn't worry about getting hot at the end because that's the point of a spring southern camino - as the weather gets too hot in the south, you'll be in the north by then and the weather should be just right all the time! 👌

I don't like the idea of pausing mid-camino for London at all, personally - it will take you completely out of your camino rhythm and could be a real disruption.

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of pausing mid-camino for London at all, personally - it will take you completely out of your camino rhythm and could be a real disruption.
Totally agree. We toured Portugal for two weeks after finishing the Camino Frances in 2017. I wouldn't have wanted to go back to finish a Camino after that...they are two completely different birds.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

But..........

Start 1st February.
Cold, Wet?

Start 9th April
Too hot?

Start 3rd March
Ending about 5th May
Start date as planned.

What would you do?
Probably the second option, April 9th. Back in 2015, we started in early May. Even then, cold was more of a problem than heat - but it is spring so be prepared for both. Remember the last week or two will be in Galicia so the weather will similar to what you experienced before. The nice thing will be that the change of season will be following you as you head north. Buen camino.

But..........

Start 1st February.
Cold, Wet?

Start 9th April
Too hot?

Start 3rd March
Ending about 5th May
Start date as planned.

What would you do?
Wait till 2025.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree - anything over 30C feels hot for walking. Guillena reaches 30C as its average daily high for the first time (during an average year) on May 31, according to WeatherSpark. Of course, any given year may not be 'average'
I agree that everyone's tolerance and comfort level for heat and cold is different. If you asked me 5 or 6 years ago the numbers that islandwalker quoted would tell me that a start after the reunion would be fine. But as islandwalker stated any given year may not be average. Given what has happened worldwide with climate change I do not think that in today's world no year will ever be average again. If it was me I would without a question be walking starting February 1. I will take rain and snow any day. I have heard March can play some havoc on the VDLP with some flooding but like I said nothing is average any more.

But..........

Start 1st February.
Cold, Wet?

Start 9th April
Too hot?

Start 3rd March
Ending about 5th May
Start date as planned.

What would you do?
I’m going to be in Portugal & Spain so considering a February start to the VDLP. As a Canadian I’d take cold and wet vs hot and dry.

I did the VDP this year starting in March, and it was cold (especially at night), often wet, always wonderful.

I'd strongly recommend April 9th, the perfect time in my opinion. If you start earlier it'll be tougher, by far ... But on a Camino, that's often a good thing, for the adventure, and spiritually.

There's no way of knowing what beds will be available next year, but later is probably better. I would suggest that you carry either a loaded credit card (plus cash) or else a good tent, depending on your situation.

Good luck, it's an unforgettable journey whenever and however you choose to do it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Easter... I have read its a time to avoid.
I don't think this is an accurate generalization. Easter is a fabulous time to be in Spain on the Camino, but it is best to give it some planning. April 9, 2022, falls on Saturday at the very start of Semana Santa. So I would advise Robo to plan that week quite carefully. Then he can really enjoy the unique experience of Easter.

Seville is supposed to be wonderful for Easter, but accommodation there will be difficult and expensive. But even the small towns have processions. Perhaps plan for Easter Sunday in Zafra.

I walked into Salamanca on Palm Sunday, saw small processions or preparations in a couple of villages, and spent Easter Sunday dining with another pilgrim in Alija del Infantado on snack food and bad wine from a gas station. I hope to go back for another Semana Santa in Spain.

I choose not to wade into this debate. I think you are looking for someone to blame for a bad decision
Not at all. I'm an adult. ;)
Merely looking for insights from those who have walked at that time of year.
And the replies have been most helpful.
UK no longer being part of Schengen was something I had not even considered!
April 9th start is looking like a good option.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Really? It read to me that Robo was interested in the experience of others who had walked the VdelP at the times. That's one of the main purposes of this forum is it not? It never occurred to me that he was hoping to hold others responsible for his decision. Or maybe your response was in jest. Sometimes difficult to tell with words alone. Anyway, I found the discussion useful for our own plans - so many thanks to those who provided their input!
I took @biarritzdon's post to be a bit of a joke. 😄

But..........

Start 1st February.
Cold, Wet?

Start 9th April
Too hot?

Start 3rd March
Ending about 5th May
Start date as planned.

What would you do?
Hi Robo,

I am also planning a long delayed VDLP camino next year so I’ll be following all the advice with interest.

Like you I am in Australia and as well as walking a camino I really want to visit my daughter and two young grandsons living in the UK who I haven’t seen since Christmas 2019.

I think April will be the earliest Western Australia will open the border to International travel so I’m hoping April / May 2022.

Thanks @Robo for keeping the dream alive 😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Robo,

I am also planning a long delayed VDLP camino next year so I’ll be following all the advice with interest.

Like you I am in Australia and as well as walking a camino I really want to visit my daughter and two young grandsons living in the UK who I haven’t seen since Christmas 2019.

I think April will be the earliest Western Australia will open the border to International travel so I’m hoping April / May 2022.

Thanks @Robo for keeping the dream alive 😊

Yes, we are all waiting aren't we?
But I'm not going to rush.
If I can make it, great. If not, hopefully sometime in the future.

Sadly these things can't be rushed.
Travel restrictions, new variants, new outbreaks.
Who really knows what the future holds?

Coming from this part of the World I am in no rush to sit in a metal tube with 400 other people for 22 hours.
Kind of like a petri dish at 30,000 feet I imagine. :rolleyes:

If I never make it to another Camino, I have some great memories at least.

What's more frustrating is missing this 40 year reunion.
It's from my class at Officer Training in the UK. (Equivalent of Westpoint)
Our last one was at 20 years.
A great bunch of people.
This will probably be the last occasion that we are all alive to meet.

Though we did lose one in a Coup in Africa.
That's another story! He was an overly ambitious guy :rolleyes:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, we are all waiting aren't we?
But I'm not going to rush.
If I can make it, great. If not, hopefully sometime in the future.

Sadly these things can't be rushed.
Travel restrictions, new variants, new outbreaks.
Who really knows what the future holds?

Coming from this part of the World I am in no rush to sit in a metal tube with 400 other people for 22 hours.
Kind of like a petri dish at 30,000 feet I imagine. :rolleyes:

If I never make it to another Camino, I have some great memories at least.

What's more frustrating is missing this 40 year reunion.
It's from my class at Officer Training in the UK. (Equivalent of Westpoint)
Our last one was at 20 years.
A great bunch of people.
This will probably be the last occasion that we are all alive to meet.

Though we did lose one in a Coup in Africa.
That's another story! He was an overly ambitious guy :rolleyes:
I agree that living in Australia is a mixed blessing.
Our isolation has kept us relatively safe from the virus but it also means a very long flight ( with risk ) to most overseas destinations .
Like you I am thankful to have Camino memories.
Good luck with getting to the reunion.
My sweetest reunion will be with the family whenever that might be 😔

I agree that living in Australia is a mixed blessing.
Our isolation has kept us relatively safe from the virus but it also means a very long flight ( with risk ) to most overseas destinations .
Like you I am thankful to have Camino memories.
Good luck with getting to the reunion.
My sweetest reunion will be with the family whenever that might be 😔
I agree, @Babyboomergirl We are very keen to get to France, as soon as we can. It's been almost two years since Dominique (my husband) has seen his girls or grandchildren. It's too long. Mind you we haven't been able to visit my elderly parents or siblings in Queensland for some months - or friends in Sydney since the end of June. We joke (half-joke) that we will get to France before we are welcome in Queensland! Oh well ... best wishes to you and your family.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hard to tell without emoticons.
Benefit of the doubt...... ;)
Robo, you are totally correct, sarky comments should be accompanied by emojis like, huh - snow, impermeable, umbrella and a guy hiking with a wet back pack!)
I don't know if you remember but I commented on this Forum after one of your very first post many years ago. I was driving from Biarritz to Pamplona to pick up some friends at the airport. It was raining very heavily and I had been following your progress reports after starting in SJPdP about the same. There was some very wet guy walking on the roadway headed towards Zubiri. I remember thinking I wonder if that is Robo? Then I decided no way, that is too much of a coincidence, its just another very wet pilgrim and I would have to have turned around to give you a lift. Sorry mate, if that was you!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Robo, you are totally correct, sarky comments should be accompanied by emojis like, huh - snow, impermeable, umbrella and a guy hiking with a wet back pack!)
I don't know if you remember but I commented on this Forum after one of your very first post many years ago. I was driving from Biarritz to Pamplona to pick up some friends at the airport. It was raining very heavily and I had been following your progress reports after starting in SJPdP about the same. There was some very wet guy walking on the roadway headed towards Zubiri. I remember thinking I wonder if that is Robo? Then I decided no way, that is too much of a coincidence, its just another very wet pilgrim and I would have to have turned around to give you a lift. Sorry mate, if that was you!

LOL. If it was on that long winding downhill road towards Zubiri, it was me! No one else was mad enough to try it 😲

Hi Robo - are you taking a guidebook? I’ve recently bought Gerald Kelly’s guidebook to the VDLP & Camino Sanabres from Ivar’s shop. It looks to be really thorough and is pretty lightweight - around 125 grams and it’s a slim volume. Spot (my trusty hiking trailer) and I will have it with ‘us’ when we embark on our VDLP camino - next year if The Fates, Covid and open borders allow.
Cheers - Jenny

Attachments

• D18C694B-8382-4696-9A07-52D3AD8B9EC2.jpeg
    D18C694B-8382-4696-9A07-52D3AD8B9EC2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Robo - are you taking a guidebook? I’ve recently bought Gerald Kelly’s guidebook to the VDLP & Camino Sanabres from Ivar’s shop. It looks to be really thorough and is pretty lightweight - around 125 grams and it’s a slim volume. Spot (my trusty hiking trailer) and I will have it with ‘us’ when we embark on our VDLP camino - next year if The Fates, Covid and open borders allow.
Cheers - Jenny

Yes I have the online version. Maybe not the hard copy. I must check.
Though I have to confess I didn't really like the maps much. :(

I have same @JennyH94 . And online too from Gerald’s website. Let’s hope we both get to use it next year. We are hoping for 1 April start. 🤞🎒🎒🤞
Buen Camino Jenny!
I’ll get the online version too - thanks for the tip. I like the comfort of having an actual book where I can do the old-fashioned marking of pages, fluro highlighting etc.
Fingers crossed for all the Aussie pilgrims -
Jenny

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes I have the online version. Maybe not the hard copy. I must check.
Though I have to confess I didn't really like the maps much. :(
Hi Robo - yes - I take your point about the maps. I think we might have been spoilt by the colourful Brierley maps with the paths marked with good-sized dots! 😉
Cheers - Jenny

Buen Camino Jenny!
I’ll get the online version too - thanks for the tip. I like the comfort of having an actual book where I can do the old-fashioned marking of pages, fluro highlighting etc.
Fingers crossed for all the Aussie pilgrims -
Jenny
I’m the same Jenny. Always like to have a print version! And highlight where we stayed etc. 😎

I’m the same Jenny. Always like to have a print version! And highlight where we stayed etc. 😎
Me too! I take notes in the margins ahead of time and write in where I stay each night. They are my camino bibles so to speak and refer to them when trying to offer help to questions newbie forum members have.

€149,-

But..........

Start 1st February.
Cold, Wet?

Start 9th April
Too hot?

Start 3rd March
Ending about 5th May
Start date as planned.

What would you do?
I like the last one.

I don’t want to be the cloud of gloom but if the reunion is the most important do it first then start the Camino. A variety of things, from an injury to a positive covid test happening on the Camino but close to the reunion could make you miss it. Hopefully you can enjoy both!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Once National service finished Mons was short-service and TA focussed and, as you say, closed its doors in ‘72.

The UK never was in Schengen.

I don’t want to be the cloud of gloom but if the reunion is the most important do it first then start the Camino. A variety of things, from an injury to a positive covid test happening on the Camino but close to the reunion could make you miss it. Hopefully you can enjoy both!
Very sensible advice @Smallest_Sparrow - it’s what I would do if I was in @Robo ’s position. The Camino will always be there but this Reunion is an opportunity which may not happen again - especially if it’s going to be some years away.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

I did the VDP this year starting in March, and it was cold (especially at night), often wet, always wonderful.

I'd strongly recommend April 9th, the perfect time in my opinion. If you start earlier it'll be tougher, by far ... But on a Camino, that's often a good thing, for the adventure, and spiritually.

There's no way of knowing what beds will be available next year, but later is probably better. I would suggest that you carry either a loaded credit card (plus cash) or else a good tent, depending on your situation.

Good luck, it's an unforgettable journey whenever and however you choose to do it.
As a post Covid winter vdlp walk, how was your experience finding lodging each night? Did you need to reach out to locals, splurge on hotel, or tent?

I see you advise to perhaps bring a tent …

I am hoping to walk late Jan to late February starting from Salamanca due to time. (I have my plane ticket but nothing else set in stone, as in route)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

But..........

Start 1st February.
Cold, Wet?

Start 9th April
Too hot?

Start 3rd March
Ending about 5th May
Start date as planned.

What would you do?
Hi Robo. We started on the 15th April. The weather was fairly good for the whole trip.It was warm in Sevilla when we started. However, it was cooler to the north in the mountainous areas later on our journey. Earlier in spring would be too wet in my opinion.
We took 41 days. That included a rest day in Salamanca.
Hoping to walk in Spain again next year. I think there may be a mass exodus from Australia. 😀

Hi Robo. We started on the 15th April. The weather was fairly good for the whole trip.It was warm in Sevilla when we started. However, it was cooler to the north in the mountainous areas later on our journey. Earlier in spring would be too wet in my opinion.
We took 41 days. That included a rest day in Salamanca.
Hoping to walk in Spain again next year. I think there may be a mass exodus from Australia. 😀
Hi @sharon w - quite a few of us are heading straight to the VDLP next April! The excitement behind the scenes amongst several of the Aussie Forum members is palpable!

Buen 2022 camino!

Cheers - Jenny

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @sharon w - quite a few of us are heading straight to the VDLP next April! The excitement behind the scenes amongst several of the Aussie Forum members is palpable!

Buen 2022 camino!

Cheers - Jenny
Yes. I am starting to feel excited as well.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.