• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which one to walk in mid October- mid November ?

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
So I have a bit of experience walking the Camino. I've stuck to the major routes mainly, mostly in April / May and September / October. This next time will be Oct 13 or so through Nov. 12, 2022.

I am struggling figuring out which route to take.

I love exercise and a Camino "community".

My first guess is the Frances (again) from SJPdP. I am familiar with the route and I know what to expect that time of year.

My next thought is Norte (again), it's my favorite. I love the northern coast.

The one major I have never done is the Portuguese.

Any thoughts as to where I should head this next time? Thinking about weather and being surrounded by friends.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The CP would work with at least a small trickle of pilgrims all year round, though some accommodation may close for season but that's similar to CF in the off season. (I did Porto to SdeC in January and crossed paths with at least a few before Tui and probably 10-20 in last 100km and in autumn the numbers would be higher)
How about heading south to Via de la Plata as another option with probably better weather?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would not recommend the Camino Catalan to you. I walked it and the Camino Aragonese mid-October to mid-November. It is nearly pilgrim free.

If you do decide on the CF do consider starting it on the Aragonese; It joins the CF near Puente de Reina. In November I walked most of it with the company of the same two pilgrims each night. In October there may be more company and, if not, it is short enough to be able to put up with fewer people than you want.

Don't miss the old monastery of San Juan de la Peña a bit off the Aragonese.

I have walked the CF mid Oct - mid Nov twice. First 2016 and most recently this past year. I found it a good time to walk but with a few challenges regarding services. No regrets.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So I have a bit of experience walking the Camino. I've stuck to the major routes mainly, mostly in April / May and September / October. This next time will be Oct 13 or so through Nov. 12, 2022.

My first guess is the Frances (again) from SJPdP. I am familiar with the route and I know what to expect that time of year.

Any thoughts as to where I should head this next time? Thinking about weather and being surrounded by friends.
Hi there. It is a great time of year to walk the Via de La Plata from Sevilla as long as you bring your wet weather gear. The temperatures are very comfortable although it is usually a wet time of year. However the last couple of years have seen even these dates to be practically totally dry. The Portugues (coastal) is lovely I believe - I have only done Tuy to Santiago and I loved that - we did it at the end of September and the weather was lovely throughout - your later dates are going to guarantee a lot of rain. Buen Camino.

Walked the Portuguese via littoral route from Porto starting October 20, 2018 and it was HOT HOT HOT all the way! Accommodation easy to find.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would not recommend the Camino Catalan to you. I walked it and the Camino Aragonese mid-October to mid-November. It is nearly pilgrim free.

If you do decide on the CF do consider starting it on the Aragonese; It joins the CF near Puente de Reina. In November I walked most of it with the company of the same two pilgrims each night. In October there may be more company and, if not, it is short enough to be able to put up with fewer people than you want.

Don't miss the old monastery of San Juan de la Peña a bit off the Aragonese.
You will see me in Somport on October 21st, heading down to Canfranc and hopefully with two dear pilgrim friends I met in 2019 from Australia! When I or (we) get to Logrono I (we) will decide whether to continue, head down to do the Madrid or maybe even go to Lisbon to walk the Portugues. Who knows??? The camino will tell us.

Walked the Portuguese via littoral route from Porto starting October 20, 2018 and it was HOT HOT HOT all the way! Accommodation easy to find.
Buz, challenges meaning accomodation, or ?
You can never tell about weather can you especially these days. Last year I started out about October 20th from Sevilla and it was hot hot HOT for the first week or so. In 2013 when I was on Meseta a little earlier in October it was over 90F every day with the sun just beating me to death. Two years later I was on the Meseta at the same time almost to the day and it was 40-50F with 20-35 mph winds much of every day and a driving rain in my face that continued about the whole time I was on the Meseta. Who knowwwws what tomorrow will bring. One of the very few advantages of getting old is you have the ability to walk a camino when you want and avoid the brutal summers which appear to only be getting worse as each year passes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Walk "Pilgrim City"; the Frances. Everywhere else is just hard work. And, hey, they need your business...
"Pilgrim City", the Frances? Is this the French way or something else? I have not heard this term before.

With the amount of time you have, I would suggest the Portugues route from Lisbon, 660 km. You could also take the Fatima detour to make it a bit longer if you wanted.

I'm having similar thoughts for October/November: Frances, which I will always love and (almost) ' know like the back of my hand'. Or the Norte, which I've never walked 'properly', although I have travelled along the North of Spain with some short walks on the Norte.

I've walked the Via - wonderful but a major undertaking. And I've walked the Portuguese from Lisbon. Which was my least favourite camino and I've no desire to repeat the experience.

I guess I'll make a decision over the next few weeks....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
"Pilgrim City", the Frances? Is this the French way or something else? I have not heard this term before.
Maybe just the Tinker being cantankerous but, yes, the Camino Frances. That wonderful 1km wide, 800km long linear city with its 250,000 population all moving in the same direction…
And like London or New York it never sleeps - not with all the snoring 😉

I'm having similar thoughts for October/November: Frances, which I will always love and (almost) ' know like the back of my hand'. Or the Norte, which I've never walked 'properly', although I have travelled along the North of Spain with some short walks on the Norte.

I've walked the Via - wonderful but a major undertaking. And I've walked the Portuguese from Lisbon. Which was my least favourite camino and I've no desire to repeat the experience.

I find myself interested in something that is somewhat familiar like the CF, like the CF, yet again (!) at a time when everything else in life seems uncertain!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buz, challenges meaning accomodation, or ?
I booked ahead for the most part. Only one private Albert Gay that I booked was closed when I got there. So I had to go another six or 7 km. Sometimes finding places to eat at night was a little more difficult than the two times I went during May June. A little of this a little of that. Nothing major.
I find myself interested in something that is somewhat familiar like the CF, like the CF, yet again (!) at a time when everything else in life seems uncertain!
My thoughts exactly.

I’m going to be on the Via de la Plata then the Sanabrese by October /Nov. The weather should be cooler. Perhaps you can consider these routes

Hi Damien
You clearly want some activity and company along the way. I have just completed the Portuguese (from Porto) and the Ingles after that,10 days and 5 days respectively. I see that you are travelling for a month. While the Portuguese is fantastic and busy, it's not going to fill your month, unless you start from Lisbon or beyond. I can't comment on the Lisbon - Porto section. The Sanabres is also an option, but at 368 klm, it would likely not fill your month either. You could also look at two Caminos back to back. But it seems that the Frances is calling you again. So, Buen Camino, whatever choice you make. Dave

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We’re starting from Porto mid-October and hoping for nice weather. I don’t mind the rain as much as I do the heat. Also thinking it won’t be too crowded then.

I was just about to start a similar thread....

I’ve done 4 Portuguese loved them…
I “need” to do another Camino (10 to 14 days) but I can’t do one till late October/ Early November.

I was planning to do The Primitivo (which looks so beautiful) but I’ve had a busy but physically lazy summer and just don’t feel I’m fit enough and believe the weather will be inclement.

To continue my love of The Portuguese: I'm veering towards a section of The Torres to see Braga and Guimarães and head onwards to PDL and then take in the Spiritual Variant (which I have never done) but have not finally made up my mind...

Just wondering would anybody have any additional recommendation for this time of year ?

Something where there would be a chance of decent enough weather but still reasonably busy.
I do not have to finish in SDC
(I don’t want to do something too solitary and the Sarria to SDC option does not appeal to me.)

Hello Levi, please could you say why the Portuguese was your least favourite (as it is on my list..)? the littoral or the central ? thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Ferga - I walked the Portuguese from Lisbon and I was referring to the stretch from Lisbon to Porto. It's six years ago but I found (for me) too much road walking and to me it felt less like a pilgrimage than a hard slog. However, I know others love this route so it's just my own opinion.

Hi Ferga - I walked the Portuguese from Lisbon and I was referring to the stretch from Lisbon to Porto. It's six years ago but I found (for me) too much road walking and to me it felt less like a pilgrimage than a hard slog. However, I know others love this route so it's just my own opinion.
So like last year (2022) that section was definitely along the lines of a slog, though that is a tough word, but it was let's say, different. Having just walked the Frances (I ended up doing the Frances mid oct - mid nov., and then decided to extend the trip for a few weeks to walk in Portugal...) I didn't mind its more solitary nature, I actually looked forward to it.

@Ferga, This year I also walked the "standard" Portuguese coastal (the 10-12 day one) out of Porto and that one definitely needs to be on your list if you enjoy beaches and beach / fishing towns. The Camino feeling for me was less apparent... though that may have just been a state of mind thing.

Thanks for these responses. I had been told that The Littoral was boardwalks, touristy; and in contrast the Central was more quiet and rural. So the latter sounds more my cup of tea. (After the Via de la Plata! though!)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back