• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Osprey backpack?

I'm a few years late to this forum, but thought I'd add my two cents, since I just settled on a pack after looking at many for my upcoming walk. My son donated his Osprey Exos 48 to me, because it's so lightweight. It is wonderfully light and simple, but the straps just weren't padded enough for me (I'm tall, female, with thin shoulders.) I looked at a number of other Ospreys, and the only one that was comfortable for my build was the Kestrel 38. I also tested out a Gregory z40, and ended up going with that one. It's a few litres bigger than the Kestrel so my stuff fit much more easily, and it weighs a few ounces less than the Kestrel. What really sold me on the Gregory is the thoughtful design--good pockets to help separate gear, and a side, as well as top, opening. The Osprey had no pockets other than a small one in the brain. And the Gregory is more comfortable for me.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm a few years late to this forum, but thought I'd add my two cents, since I just settled on a pack after looking at many for my upcoming walk. My son donated his Osprey Exos 48 to me, because it's so lightweight. It is wonderfully light and simple, but the straps just weren't padded enough for me (I'm tall, female, with thin shoulders.) I looked at a number of other Ospreys, and the only one that was comfortable for my build was the Talon 38. I also tested out a Gregory z40, and ended up going with that one. It's a few litres bigger than the Talon so my stuff fit much more easily, and it weighs a few ounces less than the Talon. What really sold me on the Gregory is the thoughtful design--good pockets to help separate gear, and a side, as well as top, opening. The Osprey had no pockets other than a small one in the brain. And the Gregory is comfortable.
Looks like you've worked it all out to suite your needs. I carried the Osprey 36 Kyte and it was perfect for my build and size… I would, and will use it again. Buen Camino

Looks like you've worked it all out to suite your needs. I carried the Osprey 36 Kyte and it was perfect for my build and size… I would, and will use it again. Buen Camino
Osprey is selling their redesigned Kyte starting this January, with more padding on the shoulder straps. I was tempted to wait and try it out, but I decided I'd better just make a decision, so I can start getting used to walking with pack weight!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey everyone,

I'm currently looking into backpacks and would like to hear your advice. I think I'll buy an Osprey backpack, since that seems to be a good and reliable brand and because I've read that people on this forum have had good experiences with Osprey backpacks.

However, I'm still making my mind up whether to go for an Atmos 35 or 50, or maybe the Stratos 36. The backpacks in the Kestrel series also seem reasonable (especially the 38L and 48L version).
I'm familiar with the thumb rule of taking no more weight than 10% of my body weight (which will be around 7 kgs). That should fit in a 35-40L backpack, but on the other hand: I'd rather have a larger backpack with more space (this is where the Atmos 50 comes into mind), than a smaller one which is completely stuffed.

Any thoughts? I won't make a definitive decision before I'll go to the outdoor store, but some more orientation would be great.

Tom

Hi Tom,
I just got back from walking the whole Camino Frances (St. Jean to Santiago) and I was so glad to have my Auro 50 (men's version=Atmos 50). It was a great pack, and with the AG feature (anti-gravity), it felt like it was floating on my back.....no pressure points whatsoever.

I also tried sticking to the 10 % rule, but that didn't fly. I am a 69 year old female, 5 ft tall, 125 lbs, in great shape, and could not keep the weight to "12.5 lbs."
I wound up carrying 17 lbs. It felt just fine. It was a little heavier in the morning (1 liter of water), but by the afternoon it was back to the regular weight.

The Exos 48 is a great pack too, and is the "lightest" of the Opspreys. The Atmos 50/Aura 5o weigh between 3.5 to 4 lbs., where the Exos weighs just under 3 lbs. All the packs you're thinking of are great, but that AG feature on the Aura/Atmos was a fantastic feature.

Good luck on your journey and Buen Camino.
Donna

Last edited:
@sabbott : Do you mean Kestrel 38? The Talon models are lighter than the Gregory and less padded than the Exos. Don't mean to be nitpicky, it's just that if someone looked for a Talon 38 they would not find it; the Camino relevant Talon models are the 44, 33 and 22 litre ones. The Kestrel, which is heavier, more durable and has more padding, comes in 48, 38 and 28 litres and the women's version, Kyte, in 46 and 36.

I started out on my first Camino with a Talon (men's/unisex) 44 litre pack and have now pared my kit down so it fits in a Tempest (women's version of Talon) 30 litre. I agree the straps are not very padded but as long as the weight is low it works for me. Also the rigid part of the pack is exactly the right length for my back so the shoulder straps don't pull on my shoulder at all - a very important consideration when buying a pack in my opinion as it stops straps tugging on your shoulder as you walk. I am having problems finding a good pack for my husband because he has a bad shoulder and is very tall, so he needs a pack that is long enough to lift the straps up to/above his shoulders. The Talon M/L back length is too short but the Atmos in a large seems to work for now.

Last edited:
Sorry, yes I did mean the Kestrel 38--too many back pack types floating around in my head...I've edited my post to change that. I've learned that back pack fits are very personal, you just have to try them all on with weight. As much as I wanted an Osprey, they just didn't fit me comfortably.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I must have tried every half decent backpack available before my long CF in '12 and wasn't comfortable in either of them until a week before my flight, when a new model Osprey Aura 35 came out. I ordered it straight away and received it three days before I left - fit like a glove! I love love love that pack but something has changed between us (probably me) and now she pinches my hips. So I downsized again to my Tempest 30 and it will take a lot to get me out of it. Glad you found yours, sometimes you have to let the pack pick you and not the other way around :D

This October I used talon 33 and it was like 2/3 full. Worked great.
I became kind of a talon fan and have already received and walked a lot with talon 22 easily packed with all Camino gear, in preparation for next year Walk. And another talon, this time 11, works great for trail/forrest runs :).
Side comment: as talons come without raincover, for 33 and 22 I use osprey's S raincover (despite comments on some website, xs is too small).

In May/June this year I used my Berghaus Capacitor 35 litre pack with a small bumbag at the front. Next year I will just be using my Osprey Exos 48 litre pack. Both are very comfortable with my pack weight around 5 to 6 kgs for my 1,000 kms walk.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I love my Talon 44. That being said, water bottle access is not easy. BUT - I did find my favorite little gizmo at REI. It has a 'c' type holder for the top of almost any size bottle and it hooks to the front of your pack or anywhere you want to attach it. Just pop it out of the "c", drink, and pop back in. Costs just a few $$ and weighs just a couple of ounces. It is truly my favorite hiking gadget.

Does this "C" type holder still exist? It sounds interesting, but I cannot find it at REI. I would appreciate a link if someone can provide it. Regard, Sr. Bigote

Hi I have a osprey kestrel 28l have I gone to small or will it be ok ? Should I have gone for the 38l ?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I believe the 28 will work - but it is going to be tight. I'm 6'3, 200 lbs and managed to get everything needed in my Talon 33l - however, I felt it was too small for me. I opted to go with my Exos 47 - yes, I had a lot of extra room, but it didn't increase the weight very much. I was glad I had the room later, because I bought some t-shirts, gifts, and even an extra change of nicer clothes and a pair of shoes for a night out in Madrid - and got everything in it for the trip home.

Hi I have a osprey kestrel 28l have I gone to small or will it be ok ? Should I have gone for the 38l ?

Backpacks are an individual choice. However, there is a multitude of factors involved; from time of year, to personal necessities, physical size and associated kit/clothing/shoes, etc…, plus comfort and so on….

Take all your kit and pack your backpack, then see how you manage. Does it fit everything without a challenge. When full, does it fit well on your back, shoulders and hips? If you walk around, is it comfortable. Do you have enough room remaining to add anything; i.e. food (if you choose), water, or any other such similar items, or is it stuffed to the brim.

These are all questions that you’ll have to answer.

The primary key for myself is, functionality and comfort! Meaning, does it house all my gear, with a bit more room to navigate through my bag without a struggle – and, does it sit well and comfortable enough, that I can enjoy the journey.

This probably doesn’t answer your question, but again, it’s a personal choice, and once you load and try your backpack out, I suspect you’ll have your own answer.

Let us know how you make out.

Cheers,
Dave

r

Could be a bit small, but depends on:

How big you are and hence how bulky your clothes are.
Time of year, and hence how 'many' layers of clothes you take.
If you are staying in Albergues, so if you need a sleeping bag or not.
If you walk 'hot' or 'cold'. i.e. What you are comfortable walking in. (Layers)

I walked the CF with a 34 L Osprey that was just OK. No sleeping bag though. I had a couple of extra shirts but otherwise a fairly light packing list.
I am only 175cm but 90+ KGs. (A bit round) Though I walk hot. So mostly just walked in a shirt. But I did carry a fleece and rain jacket/pants.
I could probably have managed to fit in a sleep bag at a push.

You may end up tying stuff on the outside.

My wife, who is only 155cm and 50kg is taking an Osprey 24L. I have to say it looks really small, but will just fit her stuff (no sleeping bag)

The only test of course, is to pack it with the gear you are taking! Does it fit?

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Darren,

What worked for me was to get all of my other gear together then measure the volume. This told me the minimum size my pack could be. I walked in September and October and had everything I needed for 780 miles. My choice was an Osprey Talon 22. The small/medium size I use is actually 20 liters and I don't carry things on the outside of the pack. I will use it again in September/October this year.

Good luck with your choice.

Mike

Thank you everyone for your advice, I would like to do this year but I'm thinking it may be next year ?? But saying that I would like to get it in Aug time

Yikes….just saw my error from an earlier post - a typo regarding my Osprey pack size. I actually had the Kyte 36L (not 30) and love it. I didn't take a sleeping bag for Sept/Oct last year, but did pack a quilted liner 'Intrepid Traveller', sold in Canada through MEC. It was very comfy - and am able to get it into a very small stuff bag.

Darren,

What worked for me was to get all of my other gear together then measure the volume. This told me the minimum size my pack could be. I walked in September and October and had everything I needed for 780 miles. My choice was an Osprey Talon 22. The small/medium size I use is actually 20 liters and I don't carry things on the outside of the pack. I will use it again in September/October this year.

Good luck with your choice.

Mike
Hi Mike, when I saw you in Sept 2015 I did not notice that you had a small pack. I use an Osprey 48L (which you looked at) that I do not totally fill. Not sure that I could get everything I take in an 22L Talon. I do take a sleeping bag that takes up plenty of room and I am glad that I do take it as I use it almost every night. The 48L weight is not an issue for me. I use it for every hike that I do here in the USA. I also keep plenty of weight in it for all my hikes in survival gear and medical equipment so I hardly notice my pack on me. Good to see you are going back this fall.....Wish that I could as well.....

Hey everyone,

I'm currently looking into backpacks and would like to hear your advice. I think I'll buy an Osprey backpack, since that seems to be a good and reliable brand and because I've read that people on this forum have had good experiences with Osprey backpacks.

However, I'm still making my mind up whether to go for an Atmos 35 or 50, or maybe the Stratos 36. The backpacks in the Kestrel series also seem reasonable (especially the 38L and 48L version).
I'm familiar with the thumb rule of taking no more weight than 10% of my body weight (which will be around 7 kgs). That should fit in a 35-40L backpack, but on the other hand: I'd rather have a larger backpack with more space (this is where the Atmos 50 comes into mind), than a smaller one which is completely stuffed.

Any thoughts? I won't make a definitive decision before I'll go to the outdoor store, but some more orientation would be great.

Tom

Hi,

If I were you I wouldn´t buy an Osprey rucksack.

My Osprey farpoint 55 started to fall appart 15 days after buying it. I got it sent to Osprey. They had the rucksack for 30 days and sent it back to me badly sewed. When I complained about the really bad repairement a guy called Harriet Marsh, who apparently was a "guarantee assistand" (whatever that is), told me the problems with the rucksack "did not appear to be the result of a defect".

I paid 125 euros for a rucksack which started to break 15 days later and got it badly sewed from Osprey...if that is a lifetime guarantee I´m the Che Guevara.

Luckily, the guys at babaik, the company I bought the rucksack from, gave me my money back.

If I were you, I would stay away from Osprey rucksacks and their fake "allmighty guarantee".

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.