• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Osprey backpack?

Bouwmeester

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Francés SJPdP-PlR (July 2013)
Hey everyone,

I'm currently looking into backpacks and would like to hear your advice. I think I'll buy an Osprey backpack, since that seems to be a good and reliable brand and because I've read that people on this forum have had good experiences with Osprey backpacks.

However, I'm still making my mind up whether to go for an Atmos 35 or 50, or maybe the Stratos 36. The backpacks in the Kestrel series also seem reasonable (especially the 38L and 48L version).
I'm familiar with the thumb rule of taking no more weight than 10% of my body weight (which will be around 7 kgs). That should fit in a 35-40L backpack, but on the other hand: I'd rather have a larger backpack with more space (this is where the Atmos 50 comes into mind), than a smaller one which is completely stuffed.

Any thoughts? I won't make a definitive decision before I'll go to the outdoor store, but some more orientation would be great.

Tom

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Tom:

I have an Osprey Kestrel 48. I have found this to be a great pack for me. I am 6' 1" and 200lbs. I have my loaded pack weight down to 9kg. The pack itself weighs 3lb 8oz's. or 1.58kg's. It is top loading but unzips on the bottom. I usually keep my sleeping bag in bottom. Easy in/out without having to take out all your stuff. It has a built in rain cover, place for a bladder (I do not use one) and lots of belt and side pouches to keep things easily accessible.

This might be too large a bag for many but it works well for me.

I recommend you get help in a good outdoor store (REI here) and wear the pack loaded in the store for awhile. Next to shoes, I think this is the second most important purchase.

Ultreya,
Joe

I have a Kestrel 38,and i find it great so far.I considered getting a smaller 32l version,but with the 38 i have space to store my jacket if it gets too hot,or if i need to buy food for the evenings/mornings,there is space for it.There is a great,easy to use on the go carrying system for walking poles if you use them.The kestrel also has an integrated raincover,not all the osprey range have it,so check before you buy.The quality of the bag seems excellent.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm on my third Osprey pack. The first year I walked with the Kestrel 48. Quite adequate. But I didn't need all that space, so the second year I walked with the Kestrel 36. Just the right size if one packed intelligently. Then I discovered the Exos 46, which I walked with the third year and will walk again this fourth year. It's lighter than either of the other two, and has better ventilation since the water bladder sits within the pack rather than in the small of your back. Because of this, the bladder does take up some of the interior volume, so you don't get 46L, but 44L.

Just to be clear: the water bladder in the Kestrel models is located exterior of the frame sheet, on the forward side, so it fills up the hollow in the small of the back. In the Exos model, the water bladder sits on the rear side of the frame sheet, inside the pack.

If the Osprey packs suit you, be sure to take a look at the Exos.

Osprey is a great brand and they offer a wide selection of features and sizes so most buyers can find something that suits them - I ended up with a Stratos 34. Ultimately however, it's important to get a pack that fits you as we're all different sizes and shapes so don't hesitate in looking at other brands such as Gregory or Deuter - these are just two of many reputable brands.

Most Osprey models come in small, medium and large (back length) but some like the new Atmos, have an adjustable harness system. Even within a model range such as the Stratos, the sizes have different designs. For example, my Stratos 34 is a front loader whereas the next model up the 36, is a top loader but with front access.

Each of us has a different criteria for choosing our pack; for me it was: back ventilation, between 34 - 40L and around 1kg so I shortlisted both the Exos 34 and the Stratos 34. In the end, I chose the Stratos because I preferred a front loader and the harness was a little more plush. I pack light so the size is fine for me but a larger pack will offer greater versatility at the cost of more weight.

Half the fun is working out your own options so enjoy choosing your pack!

I used the kestral 38 and would hike again with it any day of the week. Perfect size for the camino and others have already mentioned all the great features. Benefits of having a waterbladder in a seperate section is that its simple to fill up at fountains.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Osprey's are great, very comfortable and one of the few backpack companies making external-frame packs. I have and love my Osprey Exos 58.

You didn't mention their ultralight weight lines, the Exos and Hornet series.

I would highly recommend the Hornet series as it's the lightest they make.

However, I highly recommend you look at the Gossamer Gear Gorilla which is just fantastic and my now go-to backpack. 37L plus another 8 or so in external pockets and just over 700 grams.

http://www.zpacks.com are on the cutting edge of the cottage industry of outdoor gear and produce some of the lightest backpacks on earth. Have a look.

Experienced camino walkers told me a 50 liter backpack will do.. "Wat je niet meeneemt, is meegenomen ! :D what you don't take with you,is an advantage Go to the Bever Sport , Outdoor XL or similar shop and just fit them all and al final look at the pricetags. Ours were an Osprey Atmos 50 and an Osprey 40 Atmos special lady fit.
Very conveniant during the time we walked the Pieterpad last year.
So these backpacks will be our mates during our coming caminho portuges within 8 weeks to start off.

Thank you all for your recommendations. I'll just take my time at the outdoor store and see what pack fits best - will definitely keep your helpful advice in mind while doing so. Wasn't familiar with the lightweight Osprey packs, by the way. Will keep an eye out for them. Thanks again!

Best,
Tom

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am in love with my Osprey Exos 46! However it is not meant especially for women it fits my back perfectly. It is lightweight and it has a lot of handy features. The only risk: it is a bit too big for what is necessary on a camino, so you shouldn't be tempted to put in extra stuff.

I bought it at Zwerfkei in Woerden, but I think it is sold at several outdoor stores (the dark green one, but I couldn't find that picture).

sac_a_dos_exos_46_ember_orange_osprey_voyage_randonn_e_extreme_latitude_ligne_tactic_1.jpg

I don't mean to hijack the original poster's thread, but I was hoping someone who owns a Kestrel pack could answer a question: Can you reach your water bottles in the side pockets without taking the pack off? I managed to do this with my Aura, which was one of the reasons I love it so much, but from the pics the Kestrel doesn't have the same dual entry side pockets. If you put half litre bottles in them, can you get them out and put them back again just stretching your arms back?

Thanks!
Linda

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
nidarosa said:
I don't mean to hijack the original poster's thread, but I was hoping someone who owns a Kestrel pack could answer a question: Can you reach your water bottles in the side pockets without taking the pack off? I managed to do this with my Aura, which was one of the reasons I love it so much, but from the pics the Kestrel doesn't have the same dual entry side pockets. If you put half litre bottles in them, can you get them out and put them back again just stretching your arms back?

Thanks!
Linda

Short answer based on my own experience-no.I have a kestrel 38,and I find that
the side pockets are too far back to comfortably reach/replace a water bottle on the go.The elasticacted pockets are a bit tight,you might pull a bottle out,but you won't get it back in.

I have an Osprey Sirrus 36, a women's backpack. I chose it basically for the ventilation system and the multiple possibilities of packing small items in the outside pockets. I had to choose it by searching on Internet, as so far, I have never seen a ladies backpack on sale here in Costa Rica. The only inconvenience that I found was that, due to its shape, it doesn't stand upright when packing. It sort of flops over! Apart from that, it's very comfortable, but then my old North Face pack was also comfortable, but disintegrated after several Camino's! Anne

nidarosa said:
Can you reach your water bottles in the side pockets without taking the pack off? I managed to do this with my Aura, which was one of the reasons I love it so much, but from the pics the Kestrel doesn't have the same dual entry side pockets. If you put half litre bottles in them, can you get them out and put them back again just stretching your arms back?

Thanks!
Linda
I got Kestrel 36 l and i am very happy with it. Big enough even for a winter camino.
And yes, I can reach the water bottles in the side pockets. Not easy but I can reach them :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Fledermaus: Thank you, I had a feeling that would be the case. Being able to reach my own bottles is a selling point for me, so I'll have to look for a different model. I love my Aura 35, but need a bigger pack for cold weather walks with more clothes and bigger sleeping bag.

@anniethenurse: The Kestrel does seem to take a lot more stuff than the Aura, interesting that you can reach them ... now I really will have to do that thing in the shop where I walk around with it full of beanbags, trying to bend my arms backwards!

Thanks to both of you for the input!

hotelmedicis said:
However, I highly recommend you look at the Gossamer Gear Gorilla which is just fantastic and my now go-to backpack. 37L plus another 8 or so in external pockets and just over 700 grams.quote]

I would really like to hear your experience/review with the Gossamer Gear Gorilla in comparison with the Osprey.
Maybe in a separate thread so as not to HiJack this one??

nidarosa said:

Thanks!
Linda

Why not go a water bladder? The kestral's have a designated slot for them and then there's no need for reaching any water bottles :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
With my Kestrel 36, I can get a bottle out but cannot manage the maneuver to replace it. So I used a water bladder. Depends on one's shoulder flexibility.

I just checked my Osprey Kestrel 36L (size S/M is only 36L) and I can reach the bottles easily - putting back them in the side pockets is harder but I can do it - I maybe have to stop while putting them back in the pockets.

I am not a friend of the camel back because the bottles are easier to keep clean or replace.

Osprey Kestrel is very comfortable to carry - the waist belt is great - the pockets are great - the air flow system is great. A very good investment.

Thanks again, everyone! I prefer to go old school with bottles rather than use a bladder, and the Kestrel in its new ladies' version called Kyte seems worth waiting for ... I need a much bigger pack on St Olav's Way, so pack shopping is imminent!

EDIT: Back to the original poster's subject - Osprey backpacks. I have and love the Aura 35, which was perfect for my Camino Frances in 2012, and also my new Talon 44, which is going to Norway in a week. In my opinion Osprey have really *got* backpacks, there are shapes and sizes and features to fit most people and most needs.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have the Osprey Talon 33 and love it. Unfortunately, it does not come with a rain protector. I was lucky enough on my first Camino to have good weather. As I plan my next Camino, I am considering purchasing a rain cover.

Any suggestions as to what works well with this backpack?

Thanks!

k-fun said:
I have the Osprey Talon 33 and love it. Unfortunately, it does not come with a rain protector. I was lucky enough on my first Camino to have good weather. As I plan my next Camino, I am considering purchasing a rain cover.

Thanks!

Osprey has their own line of rain-protectors so it's just a matter of buying the one they make for that backpack. Should be a piece of cake and your local backpack dealer should help you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
grayland said:
hotelmedicis said:
However, I highly recommend you look at the Gossamer Gear Gorilla which is just fantastic and my now go-to backpack. 37L plus another 8 or so in external pockets and just over 700 grams.quote]

I would really like to hear your experience/review with the Gossamer Gear Gorilla in comparison with the Osprey.
Maybe in a separate thread so as not to HiJack this one??

The Osprey Exos 58 is a different animal altogether from the Gossamer Gear Gorilla. It has an external frame for starters, is much larger and is heavier. It's also more comfortable but less stable. More comfortable because of the padded straps and hip belt AND that wonderful mesh that rides on your back instead of the whole pack. BUT since the pack is actually supported away from your back it makes it feel less stable, at least to me. The weight is father away from your own center of gravity (albeit only slightly) and this is noticeable especially with heavier loads. The Gorilla is right there on your back.

I would think that a fairer and perhaps more interesting comparisson would be the Gorilla and the Osprey Hornet 46. I have never used it but the specs look similar.

The Gorilla is also probably a bit more fragile than the Osprey packs. I think. ;-)

Hi, loved the Osprey Talon 33 . It only weighs 0.82 kgs empty. For a September camino, it was perfect. My husband used this make as well. We didn't take sleeping bags though. Mine, packed, weighed less than 5 kgs including food and water. It was properly fitted at the store , and comes in two sizes.

Hi Tom

My wife and I both started with the Osprey Talon 33 - mainly because we wanted to be able to carry on the airplane and not have to check it (from USA). It appears you are going in the summer? So maybe your sleeping bag is not necessary? We returned those (The Osprey) - the hip belt did not fit me well - and ended up with a Deuter ACT Trail 32 for me and a Deuter ACT Trail SL 28 for her. It holds everything we need plus a 1.8L platypus bladder. So far in our training they seem fine. Our pack weight right now is around 6 KG. The Deuter come with a rain cover, are top load with a front access zipper. We found that getting a water bottle from the side was difficult and opted for the bladder. Even though we bought the 1.8 Liter bladder, you could get a larger one but for the Camino Frances I think we will have plenty of water since it is readily available. You didn't say what your size was - that will determine yourback pack.
Buen Camino
Dale

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was looking at either a Kestral or a Dueter Aircontact, I went with the Dueter 50L it is front panel as well as top loading, has a brilliant and comfortable harness system, bladder for up to 3L supply, belt pocket for small items (camera snacks etc..) VERY well constructed, and built by one of the oldest and most inovative backpack companies in the world. and itcost me less than the Kestral would have also. 8)

'startos 34'
an excellent bag
bought for the camino, i have other packs & i figured the walk would justify the purchase.
it did.
i certainly, no make that definitely would not go any bigger a bag. if anything, if you can go smaller/lighter then you should do so. i will be walking the camino this year with a lowe alpine 'contour runner' 30 , the bag i travelled around europe with many years ago. a great bag also, tho it requires some cut throat packing.
the stratos 34 best feature, in my opinion, is it airspace which separates the bag from your back, allowing airflow. theres a camelback space, doubly good as a stash space, & the front & top pockets are fitted nicely to the bag while sti;; having a good sized capacity. additional zippy little pockets on the strap & harness are really handy. also, the harness itself, which is what you need for this kind of walking.
i stand 6'4" & have looked long & hard for the perfect bag. it's amazing what a difference having not only good quality gear but also the right kind of gear for the occasion. the osprey was, in my opinion, a very good bag & i would recommend it for the camino. it also seemed to be the brand of choice along the trail, there were ospreys everywhere!

You may want to consider checking out the golite Jam 50L. I started out with an Osprey Atmos 65 and then saw an ad or post for the golite. it is only 1lb 14oz. so I saved almost a kilo by switching.
I have been training with it for the past several months. It seems to work great. A top loader, with two side pockets that I will carry 48oz water bottles in. I can reach the bottles on my own.

http://www.golite.com/Jam-50L-Pack-Unisex-P46812.aspx

Kitsambler said:
With my Kestrel 36, I can get a bottle out but cannot manage the maneuver to replace it. So I used a water bladder. Depends on one's shoulder flexibility.

I have the Kestral 48, which I love. But I'm in the same boat as you. I can get the bottles out, but not get them back in, so I use the Osprey water bladder.

Hi Tom,

I walked the camino in June 2012 and had a Osprey Tallon 44

I was extremely happy with it for several reasons:

- it only weighs 1.1kg (2.5 lb)
- in comes in 2 general length and each pack can then be further modified to suit your back length
- the bladder sits outside so you don't need to unpack in oder to refill it
- the various pockets came handy to store everything that was needed during the day including food

However, I would advice that you try on many many packs (and for the most part ignore the sales person). You should be able to carry the complete weight on your hips using the hip strap (prevents back pain) and nothing should chaff (look out the area under your arm)

Hope you find a good one, it can make or brake your camino

A

Hi Tom,

I love my Atmos 35 and will be using it this summer for the 4th time. It's perfect for warm weather due to the fantastic ventilaton system and fits me like a glove. I also like the hip pockets for quick access to money and camera/phone. Got it at Bever in Den Haag which has a large section.

Along the Francés I used 2, 0,75 ml Spa bottles which fit into the 2 side pockets and for the Via de la Plata a 2L water bladder which fits into its own pocket inside the pack + 2 bottles (due to extreme summer heat and long stages).

Cheers,
LT

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I went to REI wanting to buy an Osprey and ended up buying a Deuter. This is a feel thing. You need to try a few on with weight in them. I found that the frame of the Osprey dug into my side a bit. I have been doing my training hikes for the past month with a loaded Deuter and find it excellent. Again its all about feel......

I love my Talon 44. That being said, water bottle access is not easy. BUT - I did find my favorite little gizmo at REI. It has a 'c' type holder for the top of almost any size bottle and it hooks to the front of your pack or anywhere you want to attach it. Just pop it out of the "c", drink, and pop back in. Costs just a few $$ and weighs just a couple of ounces. It is truly my favorite hiking gadget.

I like to use the Osprey Bladder as I can sip without breaking stride. I too cannot use my Talon 44 side pockets while walking. The one problem with such systems is never knowing you are running out. I was on the long exposed forest track going into Sigueiro on the Ingles last year . 2 hours of of around 36 degrees without any water stops. I found myself sucking on an empty bladder! I'm normally prepared for this by carrying a small bottled water reserve, but unfortunately I had given this to a Rastaffarian pilg who hadn't any water.
So if I have any advice it's to carry a reserve if using a hydration System AND 2 if it's going to be a long stretch! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I purchased the Osprey Talon 44. I'm 5'10" and got the small/medium. Minimal adjustments but weighs just under 1 kilo, has lots of room for my gear on the inside, and fits me like a glove. If there is one near you, check out REI, they are knowledgeable and have a fantastic return policy.

I work for an outfitter, and when someone comes in to buy a pack, I size them to see what size they need. Then I have them try the pack on and walk around in it for awhile. I'll put sand bags in the pack to simulate the weight that you'll be carrying in it. I highly recommend that you do this when selecting a pack. The most important thing is to make sure that the pack fits and is comfortable. ( remember you will be wearing it everyday for an entire month). Let me know how you make out.

nidarosa said:

Thanks!
Linda

It is almost impossible to reach my water bottles on my Osprey. I generally carry a bottle in my hand as I drink a lot. I have to take the pack off to exchange bottles. :(

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have an Atmos 65, will that be too much pack for the camino? After reading these posts considering bringing something smaller. Thoughts?

Blessings... T.J.

35 litre backpack worked for me started 23rd march for 5 day s walk... Sleeping bag two fleeces two pairs walking trousers, poncho rain trousers and jacket toiletries socks spare shoes t shirt gloves fleece neck tube torch pyjamas first aid kit, diary camera etc. Also had leggings and silk sleeping liner which I didn't use.

PadreTeeJay said:
I have an Atmos 65, will that be too much pack for the camino? After reading these posts considering bringing something smaller. Thoughts?

Blessings... T.J.

If you're leaving in June then you'll just need a light sleeping bag and either a light Therma-Rest airmattress or a sleeping pad and then rain gear and one change of clothing. don't forget to bring along some insulation as you'll have some cold nights for sure so a light down jacket or a thick fleece which you can put under a rain jacket to trap the heat. You don't need 65 liters for that. I did it with a 37 liter pack and I had room to spare. Dig around the forum and you'll see what people are packing. It seems that 35L to 45L is what most people are taking. If you already have an Osprey and like them, I would strongly consider the Osprey Hornet 46 which would be a GREAT bag for this walk.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all,

Thanks again for your helpful advice. Just to let you know that I ended up with a Kestrel 38!

Buen Camino,
Tom

I just want to echo Tom's thanks to all. I think I will be taking a pack that is a bit smaller than my 65. Will definitely be checking out another Osprey pack, I do love the one I have.

Blessings!

[quote="Fledermaus"]
nidarosa said:
I don't mean to hijack the original poster's thread, but I was hopin
nidarosa said:
g someone who owns a Kestrel pack could answer a question: Can you reach your water bottles in the side pockets without taking the pack off? I managed to do this with my Aura, which was one of the reasons I love it so much, but from the pics the Kestrel doesn't have the same dual entry side pockets. If you put half litre bottles in them, can you get them out and put them back again just stretching your arms back?

Thanks!
Linda

I have a Talon 44 Osprey bag, very nice bag, and found it very difficult with water bottles along the side, very hard to reach and they were tight in their pockets due to the pack being full. Next time I will use a bladder with the bag, but you are right to be concerned if water bottles will be along the side. Often I had to take the pack off to reach the bottles, which of course was super inconvenient.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola,
I have a Osprey Kestrel and use Camelbak Better Bottle Hands-Free Adapter. I find that a good solution.
Buen Camino
Colin

New to packs! 2 Questions: Which size should I get. What is difference in 2011,12, & 13 models?

I want an Osprey Atmos 50 but need help deciding on the medium or the large. My torso measures right at 20". The medium is 18"-21" and the large is 20"+. Your opinion?

What is difference in the year models for 2011, 2012 and 2013?

Where are you based? REI and other retailers in the USA will measure and advise you on the correct size, There is also a guide on the Osprey website, If you go to a shop they should load the backpack and adjust it for you then allow you to walk around for 30 minutes in the store to see if it is comfortable

Dave

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm in Springfield, Illinois. There is a Scheels retailer here, and they did advise me on size for packing but not for torso.

The Osprey site describes how to take a torso measurement (bony neck prominence to top of the iliac crest) and also gives torso measurement ranges for their packs.

The newer models are lighter weight and have some ease-of-use design changes. It you are looking at the Atmos 50, have you checked the Exos 46?

My torso measures right at 20" according to the measuring instructions. The medium Atmos 50 is sized for18"-21" and the large is 20"+.

The Exos reviews said that there is a little durability sacrificed in order to get it lighter. I'm not concerned at all with weight. So, I'd prefer a more durable Atmos.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I switched from the Atmos 50 to Exos 46 and it is a far superior pack - a little lighter and without the ridiculously-pronounced curve in the back which made the Atmos so awkward to pack. I've already done around 90 days and nights with the Exos and it's still as good as new.

The Osprey Atmos 50 is going on the camino with me in 2 weeks. A little larger than I need for this trip, but it can be cinched down. You can always make a pack smaller, but never larger. I decided on the 50 because I can use it on other trips that require more "stuff." (Tent, stove, food, etc.)

I'm surprised at the lack of anyone mentioning Gregory packs. I hardly feel like it's on my back. Take a look at them. You measure them just like the Osprey AND when you use an Osprey bladder you dont' have to hang it. It fits right in the pocket.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This is a little late but I use a Osprey Talon 40. Holds all my gear without being bulky and it's big enough for me to use for a 3 or 4 day overnighter in the back country.

I walked with the Kestral 48. It had more space than I needed but that made it easier to pack each day. A smaller pack would have been a bit of a jigsaw puzzle to put things in to. I loved the bottom opening on it - great for my sleeping bag.

Hi,
I walked 3 month with a Ospray atmos 35 ltr and was very happy with it. Apart for the usuel things like clothes, sleeping bag etc., there was place for a 1 kg tent, cooking gear and a 3 ltr water bladder.

I walked with the Kestral 48. It had more space than I needed but that made it easier to pack each day. A smaller pack would have been a bit of a jigsaw puzzle to put things in to. I loved the bottom opening on it - great for my sleeping bag.
Hi Carol, I also have had a Kestral 48 for a few years now and not sure I want to take that one or not. It seems to be a bit heavy unloaded and thought that I would search around for something lighter. It does fit me well and remains in great shape....

If you have a bigger pack you will be tempted to fill it. Smaller pack = small load. 10% body weight is the often quoted rule of thumb. I went over 10% by about a Kilo or so:( but I used everything I took:). Bum Caminho

As you consider which rucksack to invest in, also consider how you will carry and use water. Many quality brand rucksacks come with the ability to use an optional water bladder containing from 1 to 3 liters of water. I used an Osprey Kestrel (NOT Talon) 48 L rucksack last April and May to walk the Camino Frances. I was totally impressed with the bag and I am planing to use it into the future.

I purchased the optional 2 liter water bladder and actually trained with it. However, I opted NOT to use it on the Camino. Here is why. The bladder system when empty and dry weighs about 11 ounces or 300 grams. When full with water, it weighs nearly 5 pounds, or about 2.2 kg. Empty or full, that is a lot of weight. The optimum solution I found for me was to use up to four .5 liter water bottles at my starting point. The really cool thing was that I found these stainless steel (inox) clips that affix to the neck of each bottle and convert each bottle into a reusable water bottle. See the link: http://www.niteize.com/product/Drink-N-Clip.asp

When I decided that the bottle needed replacing, or when I was finished my Camino, the bottles were easily placed in a recycling barrel. I clipped two bottles to the sternum strap of my rucksack and two the the front of my rucksack waistband. Thus, I always had water within easy reach without having to remove the rucksack. This solution was more flexible, lighter, and easier to maintain - no cleaning.

Also, and this is something I learned from several New Zealand folks - Kiwis - to their friends; by shifting a few kilos of weight from your rucksack to the front of your person, you radically shift your center of gravity. This makes a HUGE difference in all-day comfort, balance, discomfort and pain to your shoulders, back, hips, knees and feet. The Kiwis were all using rucksacks made (in NZ) by AARN and featuring chest packs. They are very very cool! Have a look: http://www.aarnpacks.com/

Last edited:
Those bodypacks are interesting. Have not seen these before. Will keep my eye out for these on the Camino. Thanks for sharing Andreo...

If you have a bigger pack you will be tempted to fill it. Smaller pack = small load. 10% body weight is the often quoted rule of thumb. I went over 10% by about a Kilo or so:( but I used everything I took:). Bum Caminho
I plan to do my best to stick to me packing list and cinch down and not use the extra space.....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is a outfit that makes a bag that will attach to the front of you pack but I can't remember the name. You should be able to find it on line. As to water, you have to carry is somewhere, either on your hips or on your back. It's a judgment call. I've got arthritic hips, back :D hips :eek:Enjoy your Camino. :)

Last edited:
No longer use a bladder after getting mine contaminated in storage. Now use half litre bottles that are easily removed and replaced in my Exos 46. Zip pockets on belt for wallet, sweets etc, phone and walking pole storage on the move just makes things easy. A light comfortable and well thought out sack. It ain't pretty though so it suits the owner :D

Thanks!
I have just finished the Del Norte with a Kestrel 38, rain cover, gortex jacket and poncho. I got soaked, my pack got soaked but inside my stuff was Dry all except 1 day. Get a poncho that has no side openings such as Altus. I had 21 days of rain, sometimes dumping for the whole day and nothing will stay dry if exposed to that much water without protection. Next time I will get another big dry bag to go in my pack to put the 4 smaller compression sacks into..this plus the new Altus poncho I bought in Santiago should help keep the pack and me dryer.

This is a bit late regarding the OP's original question, but I just want to throw in one personal observation. When buying any pack, get it fitted by a professional to ensure you're getting the right size -- most quality backpacks come in small, medium or large in order to accommodate different torso lengths. Also check the fit of the hip belt. Mine fit perfectly at first, but as I lost weight along the Camino (everyone does, in spite of the generous portions of food along the way), I found myself adjusting the hip belt to its minimum length to the point I could not adjust it farther, which meant that it was sliding down over my hips and putting more weight on my shoulders to the point of discomfort. I even tried taping a pair of spare socks inside the hip belt, but that eventually was not enough.

Hey everyone,

I'm currently looking into backpacks and would like to hear your advice. I think I'll buy an Osprey backpack, since that seems to be a good and reliable brand and because I've read that people on this forum have had good experiences with Osprey backpacks.

Tom
Hi Tom,
Just a word of caution, although sorry if this seems like a wet blanket comment.
My recommendation after several backpacks, the latest of which was an Osprey ..... buy the pack that fits and feels best on you - not the one that is the brand that works for someone else. My personal experience with an Osprey is negative - not ugly- but just never quite as comfortable as previous no-name packs. I found I had to lean forward to balance the pack no matter what I did. That has nothing to do with you necessarily because bodies are different of course. But that's the point. Not everyone is comfortable in Nike shoes, Keen boots, Lee jeans or Osprey backpacks. Some are and some aren't.
Backpacks need to feel balanced when you're standing up normally straight. I recommend that you go into a store or two or three if you have to, try on several backpacks with about 20 pounds in them, walk around the store for awhile in each one. You'll soon get a sense of what feels best. As mentioned above, find a store with trained or experienced people, get them to help you fit it properly, but don't let them make the decision for you. A backpack that fits comfortably is as good of a friend as the right boots/shoes. I'm not saying don't buy Osprey; I'm saying forget the brand and buy what's comfortable for you. There'll be a point on your camino anyway where you'll likely think 'there's no backpack that's as comfortable as no backpack'.
Buen camino

Hi Tom,
Just a word of caution, although sorry if this seems like a wet blanket comment.
My recommendation after several backpacks, the latest of which was an Osprey ..... buy the pack that fits and feels best on you - not the one that is the brand that works for someone else. My personal experience with an Osprey is negative - not ugly- but just never quite as comfortable as previous no-name packs. I found I had to lean forward to balance the pack no matter what I did. That has nothing to do with you necessarily because bodies are different of course. But that's the point. Not everyone is comfortable in Nike shoes, Keen boots, Lee jeans or Osprey backpacks. Some are and some aren't.
Backpacks need to feel balanced when you're standing up normally straight. I recommend that you go into a store or two or three if you have to, try on several backpacks with about 20 pounds in them, walk around the store for awhile in each one. You'll soon get a sense of what feels best. As mentioned above, find a store with trained or experienced people, get them to help you fit it properly, but don't let them make the decision for you. A backpack that fits comfortably is as good of a friend as the right boots/shoes. I'm not saying don't buy Osprey; I'm saying forget the brand and buy what's comfortable for you. There'll be a point on your camino anyway where you'll likely think 'there's no backpack that's as comfortable as no backpack'.
Buen camino
Hey Cecilia.....I understand---Different packs for different backs.
(as in- Different strokes for different folks). Hee Hee

Hi Tom,
Buen camino

Very important comment!

The Osprey has a great and well-deserved reputation. But I took one home, loaded it up, walked for 30 minutes around the neighborhood, and returned it the next day. My back was actually sore before I walked out the door. It wasn't right for my body.

Now you can't pry me away from my Deuter ActLite 45+10 women's pack. Most comfortable pack I've ever worn, and a versatile size - I use it for both weekends and multi-day treks.

Yes, it is 45+10 liters, and yes, it weighs 3 lbs 5 oz - some here might insist that is overkill for the Camino. But it feels like a feather on my back. (Well, at least until I stuff a full bear canister into it! :D )

Another vote for the Osprey Tallon 33! It held everything for a September October walk!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When the experts recommend no more than 10% of your body weight in gear for the Camino, that weight has to include your pack. To get a light as possible pack, there will be and are trade offs like lighter materials for shoulder straps an waist belts and fewer compartments to separate your gear. That's when quality becomes very important and Osprey is one of many quality products.

Mark, I'm 5'10" and shrinking. :) The large Osprey Talon was way to big for me and I went with the Med/Sm for that perfect fit. ;) I think you will find the large a good fit for your 6'2" frame. Remember, lighter packs have fewer adjustment points.:(

REI has sand bags. Have them put 20 pounds or so in the pack and have them help you adjust the pack for your frame then spend lots of time in the store walking around looking at all the stuff you crave but don't need and will never buy.

I've decided to go with an Osprey, and the clerk at the backpackers' store where I went recommended the Ariel because of durability. She also recommended the 65L because of the length of the trip from Le Puy to Santiago, but I noticed almost everyone who's posted has mentioned they're using a pack that's no more than 45-50L. Thoughts?

I've decided to go with an Osprey, and the clerk at the backpackers' store where I went recommended the Ariel because of durability. She also recommended the 65L because of the length of the trip from Le Puy to Santiago, but I noticed almost everyone who's posted has mentioned they're using a pack that's no more than 45-50L. Thoughts?

I wrote this reply before I understood that you were considering camping along the Le Puy route.
If you are still planning camping...disregard my post......

The person at the store has given you bad advice. Probably because she has no knowledge of the actual conditions on the Camino. You do not need to carry food, tent or camping gear. She was, no doubt, thinking you were camping along the way.
I would advise to stay under 45L. Osprey makes some great packs from 32 to 45L that are perfect for the Camino.
Do a search on "Osprey" on the forum. There are some very good threads on all aspects of the Osprey packs.

Last edited:

€46,-
I used an Osprey Ariel 55 on both of my caminos (Frances and Primitivo) and loved it. Perfect size and weight for me. I like the bottom compartment which was perfect for my sleeping bag and second pair of shoes. Lots of space for everything but it never felt overloaded. Top and front loading is a bonus. Side water bottle holders, easily accessible. Other stretch pockets. Top lid roomy for daily essentials and it can be detached and converted into a lumbar pack. Lots of other great features. Extremely durable. I'm sure it will last many more caminos.

Just finished my Camino Frances with a large size Osprey Atmos 50. Of the many pluses, the bigger and stronger waistband was the most important. The pack sat on my hip and I never got shoulder fatigue. The water bladder fits nicely in the pack away from my back and with the mesh backing, I never overheated. So the bottom line is what is most important to you? Buen Camino

Do any of you take a slightly larger pack, leaving room for souvenirs?

My pack was 50 liters which was plenty big because I only carried approximately 18-19 pounds; however, I cannot over state that any excess weigh is a killer especially since Santiago is at the top of every hill.... I purchased gifts in Santiago before leaving for home.

Same for me. I left my souvenir / gift buying for Santiago. The possibility of any extra weight took away all temptation to shop! Everything I did buy in Santiago fit in my pack for the trip home.

There are many, many good and valid suggestions and recommendations here. The NUMBER ONE recommendation, and one I highly endorse is to have your pack professionally fitted in a good outdoor store having experienced backpackers as store staff. In the U.S. both REI and (EMS) Eastern Mountain Sports come to mind; but there are undoubtedly dozens or hundreds more around the country. In Canada, try MEC (Mountain Equipment Cooperative).

The operative principle here is that every person is slightly different. Even among identically sized persons, shoulders, hips and spines do not align the same. Every person is built a little different and we all have our "design quirks."

Thus, the same pack will fit slightly differently on each person who tries it. In my case, REI fitted me to a Medium / Tall Osprey Kestrel (NOT Talon) 48 liter rucksack in early 2013. It had all the features I desired and all the capacity I felt I would need. As the back panel adjusts for various length torsos, they adjusted mine to the third indexed marking. FYI, my doctor tells me I am 5'11" tall (180 cm), weigh (too much) about 115 kilos, and have a stock / chunky frame with a relatively short (ish) torso for my height.

However, the time I got to Ponferrada in May 2013, I had to reduce the back panel to the smallest / shortest setting on the Velcro adjustment panel. Evidently, my spine had compressed slightly from lugging about 15 kilos. Yes, I know it is heavy, but chronic health issues compel me to carry about 3-4 Kg additional weight. No harm done.

A properly fitting rucksack is fitted in the shop using a (plastic) template that adjusts and has printed on it measurements to allow the store salesperson to suggest an appropriate sized pack for you. After going through all that, including walking around the store with sandbags in the rucksack for a half-hour or so, if you are very price sensitive, ONLY THEN, should you consider shopping online for the same pack at a lower price. I personally was willing to pack the extra money for the professional fitting. My trust was well-placed in REI.

TIP - I previously mentioned trying to shift some weight from your back to your front by using multiple smaller (.5 liter) recyclable and commonly available water bottles, in conjunction with this product: http://www.niteize.com/product/Drink-N-Clip.asp. :)
Extra tip - secure the clip to the neck of any bottle using a rubber band or a silicone plumbing "O" ring to prevent the clip from coming off when you bend over -especially if you place bottles on your waist band. You can obtain these rings at any hardware store or large DIY store like the Home Depot, Lowes, ACE Hardware, Brico, etc. I used a #18 "O" Ring.

In the U.S. that measures 1 3/16" Outer Diameter (OD) x 15/16 Inner Diameter (ID) x 1/8" Ring Diameter. For all my "foreign" colleagues, the approximate metric measurement equivalents are: 30-31 mm (OD) X 24 mm (ID) x 3 mm. You have to stretch the ring to roll it over the bottle neck and clip, but that is the entire point. It needs to be tight. Use the screwdriver on your Swiss Army Knife to help pry the ring off when you no longer need the bottom. Please do recycle the used water bottle... ;)

TIP - After my post someone wondered about locating the company that makes and sells small chest packs, to further assist in moving some weight to the front to improve one's balance and center of gravity. Here is that link: http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml :):)

I have the Zpacks chest pack (grey) and have devised a custom fitting for my Osprey rucksack harness. This improved on ZPacks already clever mounting system. The cool think is that I can use this as a small carry-on bag on the flight and train to my starting point while the rucksack is checked. Then at the end of each walking day, or when out and about without the rucksack, use it as a small "city bag" for holding my valuables and stuff I do not want to leave in an albuergue or hotel room (iPod, camera, mobile phone, etc.)

As before, I hope this helps someone...

Last edited:

€46,-
There are many, many good and valid suggestions and recommendations here. The NUMBER ONE recommendation, and one I highly endorse is to have your pack professionally fitted in a good outdoor store having experienced backpackers as store staff. In the U.S. both REI and (EMS) Eastern Mountain Sports come to mind; but there are undoubtedly dozens or hundreds more around the country. In Canada, try MEC (Mountain Equipment Cooperative).

The operative principle here is that every person is slightly different. Even among identically sized persons, shoulders, hips and spines do not align the same. Every person is built a little different and we all have our "design quirks."

Thus, the same pack will fit slightly differently on each person who tries it. In my case, REI fitted me to a Medium / Tall Osprey Talon 48 rucksack in early 2013. It had all the features I desired and all the capacity I felt I would need. As the back panel adjusts for various length torsos, they adjusted mine to the third indexed marking. FYI, my doctor tells me I am 5'11" tall (180 cm), weigh (too much) about 115 kilos, and have a stock / chunky frame with a relatively short (ish) torso for my height.

However, the time I got to Ponferrada in May 2013, I had to reduce the back panel to the smallest / shortest setting on the Velcro adjustment panel. Evidently, my spine had compressed slightly from lugging about 15 kilos. Yes, I know it is heavy, but chronic health issues compel me to carry about 3-4 Kg additional weight. No harm done.

A properly fitting rucksack is fitted in the shop using a (plastic) template that adjusts and has printed on it measurements to allow the store salesperson to suggest an appropriate sized pack for you. After going through all that, including walking around the store with sandbags in the rucksack for a half-hour or so, if you are very price sensitive, ONLY THEN, should you consider shopping online for the same pack at a lower price. I personally was willing to pack the extra money for the professional fitting. My trust was well-placed in REI.

TIP - I previously mentioned trying to shift some weight from your back to your front by using multiple smaller (.5 liter) recyclable and commonly available water bottles, in conjunction with this product: http://www.niteize.com/product/Drink-N-Clip.asp. :)
Extra tip - secure the clip to the neck of any bottle using a rubber band or a silicone plumbing "O" ring to prevent the clip from coming off when you bend over -especially if you place bottles on your waist band. You can obtain these rings at any hardware store or large DIY store like the Home Depot, Lowes, ACE Hardware, Brico, etc. I used a #18 "O" Ring.

In the U.S. that measures 1 3/16" Outer Diameter (OD) x 15/16 Inner Diameter (ID) x 1/8" Ring Diameter. For all my "foreign" colleagues, the approximate metric measurement equivalents are: 30-31 mm (OD) X 24 mm (ID) x 3 mm. You have to stretch the ring to roll it over the bottle neck and clip, but that is the entire point. It needs to be tight. Use the screwdriver on your Swiss Army Knife to help pry the ring off when you no longer need the bottom. Please do recycle the used water bottle... ;)

TIP - After my post someone wondered about locating the company that makes and sells small chest packs, to further assist in moving some weight to the front to improve one's balance and center of gravity. Here is that link: http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml :):)

I have the Zpacks chest pack (grey) and have devised a custom fitting for my Osprey rucksack harness. This improved on ZPacks already clever mounting system. The cool think is that I can use this as a small carry-on bag on the flight and train to my starting point while the rucksack is checked. Then at the end of each walking day, or when out and about without the rucksack, use it as a small "city bag" for holding my valuables and stuff I do not want to leave in an albuergue or hotel room (iPod, camera, mobile phone, etc.)

As before, I hope this helps someone...

Tom, thanks for the heads up on the Zpack. I was looking at small courier bags that I could modify to clip to the front of my pack. You have provided me with information I can use. Thanks ;)

One correction, for the record. I noticed on the Osprey web site yesterday that they do not make a Talon in a 48 liter size. So, I ambled over to the closet where my rucksack hangs, washed and ready for my next Camino in April 2014.

Sure enough, I had the brand (Osprey) and size (48 liters) correct. But, allowing for one daily "senior moment" I had the model wrong. My rucksack is NOT a Talon. It is a Kestrel. I knew it had to do with birds of prey. Oh well, I allow myself one such lapse daily. That was it.

In any event. I love this rucksack! After five weeks on Camino last year, plus another two weeks playing tourist in Spain and Italy afterwards, the Osprey Kestrel 48 proved to be the ideal traveling companion.

I was seriously considering downsizing to the Kestrel 38 for my coming Camino. Then I checked the dimensions. Both rucksacks 48 and 38 are the same height (28 inches).

The difference in volume is made up of a slightly smaller width and depth. The 38 liter is one-inch smaller in each aspect. Thus, the Kestrel 38 is 12 inches wide and 11 inches deep. The Kestrel 48 is 13 inches wide and 12 inches deep. Also, the 48 liter rucksack is only 3 ounces heavier than the 38 liter rucksack. Both rucksacks have external compression straps to cinch your load.

So, I will just pack my clothes slightly looser and use the compression straps to cinch it up. I prefer not to have "dangly bits" on the outside of my ruck if possible. I also obtained additional plastic hardware to fasten all the loose straps down. It looks and functions much better without all the "loose ends" flapping about and catching on things.

Also, IMHO it is better to have the extra space and not need it (I can allow my fleece to fill the space and breathe), than to have to strap stuff on the outside to make up for it.

Sorry for any inconvenience my crossed grey-cells might have caused. As before, I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

However, I'm still making my mind up whether to go for an Atmos 35 or 50, or maybe the Stratos 36. The backpacks in the Kestrel series also seem reasonable (especially the 38L and 48L version).
I'm familiar with the thumb rule of taking no more weight than 10% of my body weight (which will be around 7 kgs). That should fit in a 35-40L backpack, but on the other hand: I'd rather have a larger backpack with more space (this is where the Atmos 50 comes into mind), than a smaller one which is completely stuffed.

Any thoughts? I won't make a definitive decision before I'll go to the outdoor store, but some more orientation would be great.

Tom
One important tradeoff with the Osprey packs.. I used the 44 on the Camino and it was one damn miserable experience. Sure, its the lightest pack you'll find outside of a small daypack, but Ospreys offered NO HIP SUPPORT for me. All of the weight was carried on my shoulders no matter how I adjusted it. And after 6 or 8 hours with only 8 kilos it was very painful with all the weight carried on my shoulders. The waist strap cinched right up to its end and never carried any weight off my shoulders. Maybe it would have been a better experience if I carried no more than, say 5 or 6 kilos. Also keep in mind that these packs were made for rock climbers, not hikers.. evidence is in the rock climbing straps and clips. I realized (too late!) on the Camino that the cheaper Osprey at $129. was NOT WORTH IT. Spend a little more for a Kelty or other brand designed for hiking.

Did you have the Talon 44? I would think with the side struts there would be a way to get weight on the belt. That pack gets a 4.7/5.0 rating in the REI reviews, and those people are mostly backpacking, not rock climbers. Somehow it must not have fitted properly.

Comments aboutOsprey Talon 44 Pack:
This is, hands down, my favorite pack for long dayhikes and backpacking trips.
The frame is stiff enough to provide excellent load transfer to the hips while being flexible enough to allow for natural body movement. I believe this is extremely important when hiking long distances.

Comments aboutOsprey Talon 44 Pack:
This pack is amazing. This is the third pack I have bought (the first was a REI Mars 80, the second a Flash 55) and is easily the most comfortable. Fully loaded it weighed around 55 pounds, but I never really felt it. I cinched it around my waist pretty tightly, and after a 6 mile hike up to the peak and back my shoulders didn't hurt at all.

http://www.rei.com/product/808425/

I had a 33l Talon and loved it on the Camino to Finisterre. It held just enough and I reckon I carried around 11-12kgs max with water and food.

BUT PLEASE NOTE

This pack is not a pack for carrying heavy loads. I personally think that 11-12kgs is near to the comfortable limit for some people. It does have less padding which does not suit some people. I loved it but would not use it if I was carrying more weight!

Did you have the Talon 44? I would think with the side struts there would be a way to get weight on the belt. That pack gets a 4.7/5.0 rating in the REI reviews, and those people are mostly backpacking, not rock climbers. Somehow it must not have fitted properly.

http://www.rei.com/product/808425/
Newfy, I thinks you are correct Sir. Must have been a fit problem...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We have been training wit packs from 'Kathmandu' but are finding they create too much sweat on our backs. Not really any ventilation. Now I would happily have put up with that. Ignorance is bliss and all that, until I started looking at Osprey packs from reading this forum! (I'm also finding my pack at 32L is going to be a tad too small, as others have already pointed out to me)

So we tried on some Ospreys today. I have to say I liked them, but am really going to have to think hard about which models to buy.

I liked the Exos 46. So light. and the mesh back panel seems a great idea to improve ventilation. (is it effective?) Pat could get a 34L Exos. She liked it a lot.

But. As I'll be carrying 9-10 kg I'm worried that the very lightweight construction may lack comfort, in the hip belt and shoulder harness. Particularly in warm weather when only wearing a shirt. Has anyone found that? Is there enough surface area and padding on the straps to spread the load OK? Pat seems to have fallen in love with it and given she will only be carrying 4.5kg, it might suit her OK.

Any Exos users have a view on that ?

We also tried the Hornet being a lightweight design, but it does not have the 'stand off' design with the mesh panel. So I don't think it would be any more comfortable than our existing packs...

So I think for me.........I'll check out some slightly heavier Osprey designs, and maybe trade off some additional weight for added comfort, though I'd like to stay with the mesh back panel and metal frame concept. (Airspeed I think it's called)

So other contenders might be the Atmos 50L.

The Kestel, Talon, Stratos, and Sirrus don't seem to have the ventilated back panel design. Did you find these very hot?

Any thoughts from experienced users most appreciated.

I have to say it's very hard to really work out the differences between the various Osprey models? Do they have a comparison table anywhere? Haven't seen one.........

The other thing I am not sure about with the 'Airspeed' design, is that the whole centre of gravity movers rearward a bit. Not ideal. It seems the frame is supposed to counter this by putting weight onto the hips. But when I tied the Exos 46 in the store it certainly felt like the frame was 'digging' into my hips, rather reminiscent of the old canvas 'Bergens' I used to use 40 years ago!

More complex pack designs just makes the selection harder, for me at least!

Last edited:
Comments on some of the negative views regarding Osprey rucksacks:

HIP SUPPORT - the pack - any pack from any manufacturer that has a padded hip belt, that belt must ride on top of the Iliac Loop of your hips. Ladies you know what this is. Gentlemen, this is the big "loop" bone of your hips - the widest part (look at a skeleton). It is located just BELOW the normal belt line - assuming you do not wear your trousers around your hips.

The weight is borne on this bone - one of the strongest in most people after the femur (big leg bone). The padded hip belt, and much of the pack weight are carried here - NOT on your shoulders and back. It makes a BIG difference - trust me on this. Last Spring I wandered the Camino Frances offering to help adjust people's packs so they better fit their frames. No one ever complained, and several offered their thanks, repeatedly, over a period of weeks...just part of the "helpful hobo" service. :)

That is why women frequently sit their toddler-sized children on a hip when they try to do something with their free hand. On the other hand, if you do not have a significant "shelf" there aka "no hips" you do have a dilemma. I inherited my mother's family's Sicilian body frame. So I have plenty of hip to spare... ;)

BACK SUPPORT - The Osprey Kestrel series has a mesh ventilated air suspension system. The pack never touches your back. The mesh panel does. The outer back panel also has a ventilated, horizontally-aligned, flow-through accordion frame to allow cross ventilation from left to right and vice versa.

You need to adjust the torso length of your rucksack and the shoulder strap cinching straps to do this vertical alignment properly. The Osprey, as do many other well known hiking rucksack brands, excel at minute (tiny) adjustment. Their packs generally have adjustable back panels using the mother of all Velcro pads to permit centimeter or fractional-inch adjustment up and down making the torso length taller or shorter. The upper and lower shoulder adjustment / cinching straps then permit you to pull the load higher to your shoulders and closer in to your shoulder. You should choose a pack with both upper and lower adjustment straps.

In my case, I started with my Medium / Tall Kestrel 48 adjusted to the third "bird silhouette" mark on the Velcro pad. By the time I hobbled from St. Jean PdP into Burgos I had to shorten the back panel and torso length to the smallest possible adjustment. Fortunately, my pack rode perfectly afterwards. I am 5 feet 11 inches (180 cm) with a "stocky" frame, large barrel chest with a short torso - BIG boned. So, for a troll like me, the Osprey Kestrel series offered the perfect blend of form, function and most importantly the ability to be micro-adjusted to my individual needs.

With torso / hip and shoulder / back adjustment done correctly, and I speak from experience, after a couple of weeks, the Osprey Kestrel rucksack felt like a comfortable old shoe. It just fit and fit very well. In fact, when my Camino was all over with, I actually missed "saddling up" in the morning. It actually felt good to have the pack riding on my back. I felt less dressed without it. :(

All this, and my previous comments stated, together with the other very good observations in this thread, if I were buying another pack for my upcoming May 2014 Camino I would consider the Kestrel 38. However, and this is fully described in one of my earlier posts on this conversation, the Osprey Kestrel 38 and 48 liter rucksacks are the same height, and likely the back panel has the same range of adjustment because of this same vertical height feature. The volume difference is made up by the 38 liter pack being slightly narrower and shallower. (Read my earlier posts above)

This established, if I TRULY wanted the optimum solution of perfect torso adjustment and capacity (48 liters +/-) for ME, I think on balance, I would INSTEAD opt for the Kestrel 48 in the Small to Medium frame size (S/M). Just as an FYI, according to the Osprey web site, if you do this, the actual capacity of the rucksack drops to about 46 liters. The width and depth of the rucksack body are identical. They reduced the height by 2 inches to shorten the back (torso) panel for shorter torsos (like me). Thus, in my situation, I might be using a Kestrel 48 S/M adjusted longer, instead of a Kestrel 48 M/L adjusted to its shortest ability.

The weight difference between the Kestrel 38 and Kestrel 48 is ONLY 3 ounces (80 grams). The weight difference between the Kestrel 48 M/L and S/M is also only 3 ounces (80 grams). So, weight total pack weight difference ought not be the deciding factor (IMHO). Fit, comfort, carrying capacity, and features that appeal to you should decide the model to choose.

See here for details on this: http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/mens/kestrel_48?tab=specifications

BTW - If anyone is interested in my slightly used, well-loved, and well maintained Kestrel 48 M/L in green/grey, send me a PM. I will even include the not used Osprey 2-liter water bladder, and the Osprey Transporter duffel bag for checking the loaded rucksack on an airplane. I would replace it with the Kestrel 48 S/M as discussed above. I accept PayPal...;)

Finally, I have no business or investment interest in Osprey. I just happen to love their products. In fairness; however; it MUST be pointed out that there are several well known and well made rucksack brands seen frequently on the Camino that offer similar sizing ranges and fitting flexibility, depending on model and capacity. These include, but are not limited to (alphabetically): AARN Packs (NZ/AU), Deuter, Ferrino, Gregory, Kelty, MEC (Canada), North Face, Quechua (Decathlon's house brand in Europe), and Tatonka. Sorry if I left anyone out, but I did not write this down when I was on Camino.

Regardless of what rucksack you choose, You need to check that the torso is vertically adjustable for shorter or taller chest lengths, and that the shoulder straps can pull the rucksack UP and IN to your shoulders. Oh, and it sort of goes without saying, a sternum (chest) strap is a must especially when handling steep climbs and narrow paths up and down some of the higher elevations on the Camino.

Thanks for "listening." As always, I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Well said Andreo!! I am also an Kestral 48 user and lover. Fits me very well also. I know what you meant about having that "feeling" when it is not on your back...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The waist strap cinched right up to its end and never carried any weight off my shoulders.

3 Hat Howard, I would say you definitely had a problem with fit. As t2andreo describes so clearly above, the "waist strap" is definitely not a waist strap but a hip strap, and must sit firmly on your hips. I haven't yet walked the Camino but have some experience with backpacks - mainly the much larger type beloved of backpackers who are not having to walk long distances. I often carried far too much in mine, but almost never felt the weight on my shoulders (if I did, I knew I had really overdone it, but I'm talking about 15KG-plus, not the small Camino pack weights). If the strap cinched right to its end it was too long, which does suggest you were wearing it too high, around your waist. Adjusting the back length should have helped this - and as t2andreo says, the hip bones are very strong and can take a lot more than the weight you describe. If you were wearing it correctly on your hips, then maybe you had a pack size that was too large (ie the small/medium/large sizes which are generally available at each of the pack volume sizes) and the hip belt was too long for that reason. Such a pity you had to experience this on your Camino.

Hey everyone,

Tom
Hi Tom , I have the Osprey Aether 60 which I like very much. It may be to large for the Camino and look into the weight of the backpack empty. My Osprey weights in at 4lbs 11 oz. I also looked at the Granite Gear Blaze A.C. 60 which weights 2 lbs 14 oz.. I chose the Osprey because it can carry much more weight and some of areas that I hike require me to carry more weight. You need to decide if you will be using this backpack on other long distance hikes that may require more equipment, water and food. If you are I would go with at least the 50 liter. The space fills up fast.

Well said Andreo!! I am also an Kestral 48 user and lover. Fits me very well also. I know what you meant about having that "feeling" when it is not on your back...

I was in our local store today checking out the Ospreys. The assistant has a Kestrel, but suggested the hip belt and shoulder straps were not that well padded and caused chaffing. And he agreed that the Exos traded off too much in the comfort stakes for weight reduction.

He recommended the Atmos, as a good blend of comfort and weight............

Lots more checking and 'trying on' to be done I think...

I got my Kestrel 38 yesterday. Ordered online ( I have more than 200 km to nearest dealer ;)
Kestrel 38 looks more than big enough for my stuff, and.....it looks like I might get it onboard the plane as hand luggage

I got my Kestrel 38 yesterday. Ordered online ( I have more than 200 km to nearest dealer ;)
Kestrel 38 looks more than big enough for my stuff, and.....it looks like I might get it onboard the plane as hand luggage

We went for the Osprey Atmos 50 , both my wife and I. The Atmos is available in a lady size model for better anatomic fitting.
We carried 7,5 and 7 kilos during our caminho Portuges excluded some water. The Atmos is very comfortable .Desadvantage is you have to check them in at your flight. To us no problem at European flights.
We went to a well known shop with experienced staff and fitted a lot of makes and models and did not pay attention at the pricetags. :) Only the best fitting we bought and this was the Osprey Atmos to us .
We made two long distance hikes with them and we like them because of their comfort, fitting and lots of room .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 27
Why is checking in the bag a disadvantage? Sorry I fly a lot on business and don't see this as an issue. I must be missing something? Security, damage?

€149,-
I'll check out some slightly heavier Osprey designs, and maybe trade off some additional weight for added comfort, though I'd like to stay with the mesh back panel and metal frame concept. (Airspeed I think it's called)
So other contenders might be the Atmos 50L.
The Kestel, Talon, Stratos, and Sirrus don't seem to have the ventilated back panel design. Did you find these very hot?
IMO the mesh back panel metal frame concept is more about marketing than efficiency. I've worn packs for many years and was impressed by the concept when it came on the scene. I tested many and was disappointed by the results.
Dropping my pack size for the Camino I settled on the Talon 44. Couldn't have been happier.

After hoisting my pack I let it settle down onto my hips for the first five minutes of a walk. The hips must carry the weight. I then draw in and adjust the shoulder harness, the sternum strap and then the load lifters.
Regds
Gerard

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.