• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Osprey backpack?

Why is checking in the bag a disadvantage? Sorry I fly a lot on business and don't see this as an issue. I must be missing something? Security, damage?
The backpack is too big for cabin luggage so chance of damaging (did you see how the groundstaff handles your properties. ) and extra costs anyway on European airliners like Easyjet,Ryanair ,Transavia etc.
We bought covers with them to protect the packs a little bit .These covers also were usefull as raincover and had an almost fluorescent yellow colour for safety reasons by walking at the shoulder of busy and dangerous roads during our caminho Portuges.
That's all. Furthermore no disaventages.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Why is checking in the bag a disadvantage? Sorry I fly a lot on business and don't see this as an issue. I must be missing something? Security, damage?
So did I. ,flying businesswise allmost all my career on European flights
Sometimes found my suitcase into two pieces.
Saw musical instruments, handled as checked in like guitars in cases and double basses in covers into pieces ! Youtube has nice :-( examples, viewed by millions !

But as my slogan is : winners have a plan, losers just an excuse , I donot complain about it. I wanted the Atmos backpack, 50 liters -I like it- and accept it as is too big for cabinstorage.

Damages and maybe more important, lost luggage, which I have experienced too many times

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I walked in October and November this year and used a Kestrell 28. It was large enough for the basics--keeping me from paqcking too much and so I kept the weight down--of course some people figure they can carry a house and they do lol. I checked it as luggage covering it with two rain covers and strapped them to the pack with the backpack straps inside the covers and had not trouble transporting it the cargo hold.

I'm off from SJPdP end of May. Settled for the Exos 46. I'm 6'3" tall, and should be about 190 lbs when I leave (10 lbs to lose before then). I have a lot of backpacking experience, and this one seemed to feel right to me. Plus it was on sale as it had a slight blemish! Buen Camino.

I'm off from SJPdP end of May. Settled for the Exos 46. I'm 6'3" tall, and should be about 190 lbs when I leave (10 lbs to lose before then). I have a lot of backpacking experience, and this one seemed to feel right to me. Plus it was on sale as it had a slight blemish! Buen Camino.
I leave end of May as well. Hope to see you on the Camino. Buen Camino. Ed

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have an Atmos 65, will that be too much pack for the camino? After reading these posts considering bringing something smaller. Thoughts?

Blessings... T.J.
I was looking at either the Osprey Aether 60 or Exos 58. I am also thinking of downsizing based on these comments. That being said, I am planning on doing my Camino May/June or mid-Sep/mid-Nov in 2014, starting in Barcelona and connecting with the Norte route at Irun. I know these routes have fewer refugios to begin with and traveling outside the summer season, I expect many more to be closed. Thus I will be bringing a tent. So would a Kestral 48 be big enough or would the Aether 60 be too big?

One important tradeoff with the Osprey packs.. I used the 44 on the Camino and it was one damn miserable experience. Sure, its the lightest pack you'll find outside of a small daypack, but Ospreys offered NO HIP SUPPORT for me. All of the weight was carried on my shoulders no matter how I adjusted it. And after 6 or 8 hours with only 8 kilos it was very painful with all the weight carried on my shoulders. The waist strap cinched right up to its end and never carried any weight off my shoulders. Maybe it would have been a better experience if I carried no more than, say 5 or 6 kilos. Also keep in mind that these packs were made for rock climbers, not hikers.. evidence is in the rock climbing straps and clips. I realized (too late!) on the Camino that the cheaper Osprey at $129. was NOT WORTH IT. Spend a little more for a Kelty or other brand designed for hiking.
This is a little late but what size Osprey pack did you get and how tall are you. I had the same problem with mine. Turns out the pack was too large for my frame. Went to the next smaller pack and presto no problems or worries.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Never experienced either, after hundreds of flights. Guess I must be lucky!
Hundreds of flights and no lost luggage??? Forgive me if I'm skeptical!!!

Hundreds of flights and no lost luggage??? Forgive me if I'm skeptical!!!
I make about 30 flights a year for the last 20+ years. Business and family trips. Sorry but true, never lost any luggage. Not sure I even know anyone who has lost luggage. Maybe it's because I fly mainly in Australia and SE Asia?

Is lost luggage a common issue in the US?

Last edited:
I make about 30 flights a year for the last 20+ years. Business and family trips. Sorry but true, never lost any luggage. Not sure I even know anyone who has lost luggage. Maybe it's because I fly mainly in Australia and SE Asia?

Is lost luggage a common issue in the US?

This thread is about Osprey backpacks, so maybe create another thread ?
(But statistically airlines "loses" between 3 and 8 out of 1000 units (worldwide), some airlines and hubs better than others)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This thread is about Osprey backpacks, so maybe create another thread ?
(But statistically airlines "loses" between 3 and 8 out of 1000 units (worldwide), some airlines and hubs better than others)

Sorry to go off topic....

I love my Osprey Talon 44L to bits! It weighs 1.1 kilos and the 3 litre hydration system weighs 280 grams. It's more than big enough but very comfortable.
Good hunting for your bag.
allan
I love this packpack! the M/L is perfect for everybody with a very long upper body as myself and even at the end of a 30km day in 37 C heat I didn't feel the pack ... it just felt part of me!

I went to REI this weekend. I fell in love with the Osprey Ariel 65. It fit like a glove. REI has a monthly garage sale the last Saturday of the month so I am going to check it out this month to see if there is anything that I could use. The items are usually up to 70% off. I learned a lot about the backpack. I was lucky I had a very knowledgable person who took his time and tried different packs on me. He put weight in all of them so I could feel comfortable about the one I picked. I tried a Gregory and Deuter and did not care for either. I did not purchase the pack because he stated if I waited until March I would get a 20% off coupon for being a member. He stated he would fit me then and mold the pack to my frame. I am a small women 5'4" and the pack was a women's small. I was thinking of the Osprey 50 but I did not like the idea of only one way into the pack and not the ability to mold it to my frame. There is something to be said about paying a little more for options. I also liked that all the packs had built in whistles. One less thing to purchase. Also, checked out the sleeping bags and really liked the down ones. Just found out today another outdoor store in the Pittsburgh area is going out of business and everything is 40% off so heading out to Monroeville tonight. They are out of business at the end of the month and they are all certified to fit you with the packs. The person who told me about it said she was there this weekend and they still had a lot of packs. So wish me luck.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I went to REI this weekend. I fell in love with the Osprey Ariel 65. It fit like a glove. REI has a monthly garage sale the last Saturday of the month so I am going to check it out this month to see if there is anything that I could use. The items are usually up to 70% off. I learned a lot about the backpack. I was lucky I had a very knowledgable person who took his time and tried different packs on me. He put weight in all of them so I could feel comfortable about the one I picked. I tried a Gregory and Deuter and did not care for either. I did not purchase the pack because he stated if I waited until March I would get a 20% off coupon for being a member. He stated he would fit me then and mold the pack to my frame. I am a small women 5'4" and the pack was a women's small. I was thinking of the Osprey 50 but I did not like the idea of only one way into the pack and not the ability to mold it to my frame. There is something to be said about paying a little more for options. I also liked that all the packs had built in whistles. One less thing to purchase. Also, checked out the sleeping bags and really liked the down ones. Just found out today another outdoor store in the Pittsburgh area is going out of business and everything is 40% off so heading out to Monroeville tonight. They are out of business at the end of the month and they are all certified to fit you with the packs. The person who told me about it said she was there this weekend and they still had a lot of packs. So wish me luck.

I would strongly suggest that a 65L pack is much too large for you.
One of the initial things to look at is is empty pack weight. That is dead weight you will carry every day with no control over it.
Search out some of the many threads here on Osprey packs to get suggestions on other models and sizes.

I am much bigger than you and my pack (for 4 caminos) is a 50 L and has never been full. I am looking to downsize for my next Camino.
Small is good.

I know I have said this in many threads (as others have above), but the Osprey Tallon 33 is plenty big enough and weighs under 2 lbs. empty. As Grayland says above, seriously consider the empty pack weight and Liter size. I actually have little memory of carrying my pack for 40 days.

Sounds like you are having loads of fun getting prepped for the Camino!!! Awesome. Grayland said it first but I will echo it. The pack you are looking at seems a bit on the large size for what you (only) need to carry on your Camino. For instance, I am 6'1", 210 Lbs and I have a Osprey Kestral 48 liter and I believe that I do not need that many liters to pack my "stuff" for my Camino. I just bought (thank you Santa) a Osprey Talon 44 that takes about 14 unloaded ounces of my nutten in it weight. That 14 Ounces means a lot when we are counting ounces for our Camino......
I may still stick with my Kestral 48 at the end of the day but that is still much smaller then what you are thinking of needing. All I am saying is, please rethink your size needs. Your back will appreciate that if you do make a different decision.

Buen Camino Neighbor. Ed

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@paladycamino: I agree totally with the above comments. I understand you though, I once fell deeply in love with an Ariel myself, but that was before a wild camp trek through Norway, where I needed to carry a tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, small stove, food for three days etc. In the end I discovered that with a bit of minimalist packing, making just about everything do double duty and rethinking what I needed, I could fit it into an Osprey Aura 50. Admittedly it doesn't have a sleeping bag compartment at the bottom, but with the very few items you'll need for the Camino you don't need that. Find one with organisational features you like - zip or lid closure, pockets or no pockets etc. With the weight you'll be carrying, you don't need a molded hip belt or a detachable lid which doubles as a bum bag either - you need to carry a small bag for your valuables at all times anyway. For the Camino I carried an Osprey Aura 35 and got everything I needed - including sleeping bag - in that! So yes, my advice would be to go back and look at the smaller and lighter bags. There is a new woman specific Talon coming out in 2014, called Tempest (I think REI stock them already?), and that should have a 30 litre top opener and a 40 litre top-and-bottom opening pack with a hipbelt and harness made to fit a woman's curves. With limited weight that could be just as comfortable - and at least two pounds lighter! Good luck on finding your perfect pack and buen camino!

Last edited:
This is a follow-up to my previous posts on this subject.

In one of my posts I expressed the opinion that I thought that, for me, the ideal pack might be the Osprey Kestrel 48 in (Small/Medium) instead of the same pack in Medium / Large. Afer all, it is what I walked the Camino Fancis in this past April and May. Well, I did more research on the subject including going to my local REI store and driving the person in the backpack department crazy for a couple of hours. Hey, I am retired, I can do this... ;)

First, about me: I am a 60 year-old male with a barrel shaped torso (big chest). I WAS six-feet tall (185 cm) last January. But recently I had a full physical exam, at which the nurse proclaimed that I was five-foot-ten and 3/4 inches (180 cm). So, I am shrinking...darn and drat! However, most of my height is in my legs. I suspect that walking the Camino may have had an affect on me in that I specifically recall having to shorten my rucksack back panel so the hip belt rode properly once I got to Burgos from St. Jean.

Back to the REI store: The first thing we did was use the yellow plastic Osprey back measuring frame to accurately measure my torso height / length. I had to ask several times for a precise measurement as I could not see was was going on behind me and I wanted specific numeral information. The sales person informed me that the precise measurement was 18 3/4 inches.

Previously, I had contacted Osprey who informed me that the cutoff point for their Small / Medium and Medium / Large length rucksacks was a vertical torso measurement of 19 inches (48 centimeters).

NOW I knew what the problem was! My body was at or slightly above the 19 inch cutoff point for the Small / Medium frame BEFORE the Camino this past spring, and slightly BELOW the cutoff point six months later - read shrinkage above. So, it was possible that EITHER bag MIGHT work. It was also possible that other brands might fit better. So, the game was afoot... ;)

Knowing how my Kestrel 48 (M/L) fit, I tried the Kestrel 48 (S/M) as I knew it was the same pack albeit two inches shorter vertically and held a true 46 liters as opposed to 48 liters. We placed 25 pounds of sandbags in the bag to approximate my expected load.

The finding was that to get a good fit, we had to lengthen the small - medium back panel to it's maximum possible length. In other words, all the embroidered Osprey bird sihouettes used for measuring were showing. On peering down the pack panel, this meant that not 100 percent of the monster Velcro fasteners were grabbing. There was an overlap. Perhaps only 80 percent of the Velcro was grabbing. In my view this was not good for safety. It would not do to have the shoulder straps slip while on a steep climb with a precipitous drop off... :(

So, back to the Kestrel 48 in M/L. This is the bag I bought last year and walked the C/F in . Only when we adjusted it slightly BEYOND the shorest increment on the adjustment panel (the little birds embroidered were ALL hidden) did the hip belt ride properly. However, that left me with a simple choice regarding the two Osprey Kestrel bags. Did I want the slightly smaller and lighter (3 ounces) size adjusted past what I thought wise, or stick with the bag I had and simply adjust it as short as possible.

I should also add that, while I was there I thought I would drive the sales person completely insane and try several other brands on. I tried the Osprey Atmos, Stratos, and Talon bags, as well as a few Gregory and Deuter bags. However, in my considered opinion - and this is HIGHLY subjective - nothing felt as comfortable to me as the Osprey Kestrel 48 in Medium - Long. It might have been familiarity. But, the Kesrel in 48 M/L with 25 pounds of weight in it, and properly adjusted using the sales clerk and mirros to make it "just right" left me with a rucksack that fit like a broken-in shoe. So, I left the dance with the girl I brought... :)

I cannot emphasize enough that this is MY finding. It works for me. It might not work for you. But what it DOES do is highlight the critical need to be properly measured and fitted by someone who knows what they are doing. The time to make a wrong choice is in the store BEFORE you are on a Camino.

I should add that there are a lot of videos on You Tube about "How to size a backpack..." or "How to measure for a backpack." Excersize due diligence before you even go to look at backpacks. All the pretty colors sand choices available may lull you into buying the wrong bag. One wonders if that is why Deuter puts small yellow, silk flowers on all their women's rucksacks...

Once you identify the absolute best bag for you, only then should you consider price and how you might obtain the bag at a lower cost - like on the internet - if that is a critical thing for you. Don't forget to factor in the cost of shipping. Personally, I felt compelled to spend my money locally and pay the extra money to REI. Besides, they give me money back every year based on my previous year's purchases.

Sorry for the length of this, but you know how I am. I like to provide the full story.

I hope this helps someone.

I started with the Osprey 50 but it just did not fit right. The side straps where really hard to get to and the strap was not long enough to make it comfortable for me. I might see if I can look into the a smaller pack. I am a women though and you know we always overpack so the smaller pack might help me not take too much. I really am struggling with only one way into the pack. The sleeping bag I am thinking of taking seems to small to fit on the straps at the bottom of the Osprey 50 so I would have to put it inside. Pulling everything out to get to that every night does not sound fun to me. I do have to watch the weight since I plan on doing 10% of my weight which does not give me a lot extra pounds to spare. I appreciate all your comments.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I really am struggling with only one way into the pack. The sleeping bag I am thinking of taking seems to small to fit on the straps at the bottom of the Osprey 50 so I would have to put it inside. Pulling everything out to get to that every night does not sound fun to me. I do have to watch the weight since I plan on doing 10% of my weight which does not give me a lot extra pounds to spare. I appreciate all your comments.

Perhaps my solution to the 'taking everything out' problem might not be for you but here it goes:

All my belongings are sorted into 6 bags

1) sleeping bag + PJs (or what passes for them) + bedbug sheet - in dry bag
2) clothes - in dry bag
3) other e.g. chargers, journal etc - dry bag
4) wash bag
5) food
6) First Aid - dry bag - not actually in the backpack but in top pocket for quick access

so taking things out is really easy, I always know what is in each bag (they have different colours) and it keeps everything neat and most importantly dry. The dry bags also compress the sleeping bag and clothes so they use up less space.

My backpack (Ospray Talon 44) even has sleeping bag access and I never used it once I rather pack things carefully from the top to distribute the weight evenly which I find harder if you push things back into the bottom.

I also had all my stuff in stackable units: Washbag, clothes bag, sleeping bag, silk bag, sundries (charger, pen, etc). Food and first aid were in their own pockets, spare shoes tied on the side, valuables in a small nylon cross body bag at ALL times. So when I arrived at my bunk, I would just take out the washbag and clothes - which I needed straight away to go to the shower and change - and then I took my sleeping bag out and spread it on the bunk to puff out. After the shower I put all my units into the pack so I knew where it was. Admittedly in the morning I had to then take the washbag and clothes bag out again before putting the sleeping bag back in, but there is no law that says it has to be at the bottom, and after a week's time I just put the sleeping bag and silk bag on one side and wash bag and clothes on the other. The best way to figure it out is just to pack and unpack! Also - you really do need less than you think ...

I agree. The "taking everything out" issue should not trump the "empty pack weight" issue!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You all have me talked into a smaller backpack. I appreciate all the comments and I agree with everything. I got more information about packing than expected so that was a bonus. I really appreciate how most of the people on this site really want to help.

I did much research about which bag to buy, including reading all the forum posts on the subject I could find. The Osprey website was very useful to check out the features I liked. I finally started going round the various UK outdoor gear shops to fit the bags on my shortlist. In my area (Sussex, UK) the Cotswold Outdoor staff were the most knowledgeable and enthusiastic about their products and it helped that the majority I spoke to have chosen to use Osprey bags themselves. It is interesting that the bag I chose based on features wasn't the bag I bought, because it wasn't the most comfortable once loaded up with weights. Yesterday I bought the Osprey Kestrel 38 M/L, and although it isn't the lightest bag in the range I find it supremely comfortable. The next step is to see whether it remains comfortable during training over the next few weeks.

I drove some distance to get to a shop which had more bags in my size, and was delighted to be served by a man who had not only walked the Camino Frances as I intend to do in April, but had started from his house in England. He instantly knew my needs and was able to give me some extra helpful tips. This was an unexpected joy, and made me feel as if my Camino had already started. The Camino has already proven to be a blessing, even though it is still 68.816 days away...(who's counting!)

As a Cotswold employee (quick plug) I'm really glad you found our stores so helpful. Osprey is a brilliant make and I do prefer the kestrel over the more popular Talon as the stiffer back makes load carrying more comfortable for me.

Out of curiosity which store did you visit with the chap who'd walked from the Uk? I only ask as it might have been me, lol. If not it's nice to know there's a fellow pilgrim in the business and I'll have to drop in to see him.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Winchester09 - It was the South Cerney store in the Cotswold Water Park. :)

I too share your view of Cotswold Outdoor staff and their expertise. Initially, I had in mind the Osprey 48L but with their advice and 'fitting' I found the 38L. more comfortable and full of useful features (I have no commercial links to either C.O. or Osprey). It's a long time before my own Caminho but I hope your Rucksack choice will as comfortable and as practical a companion on your Camino as you anticipate.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I currently use an Osprey Kestrel 48L (M/L) Backpack, which works well for my height, weight and torso.

I fully appreciate that weight and pack size is an issue. However, I feel that this presents some misguided information to those trying to establish which bag and size to purchase. I would suggest that the primary focus, when choosing a bag, should always be on a proper fit for ones torso, vice the size and weight of the bag itself. On a personal level, I would not hesitate to carry a pack, which weighed a pound or more, over a smaller pack, if the fit was more comfortable and the carrying weight was better supported. In the end, this would prove much more beneficial than a smaller improperly fitted pack, especially over such a long distance.

I’ve seen far too many people end up with shoulder, back and overall discomfort (not to mention nerve damage) from using improperly fitted backpacks, and it’s easily preventable if they could only get over the pack size and weight issue. Additionally, if one finds they have extra room at the top, this does not mean you require a smaller pack or that you need to fill that space; that’s ridiculous and short-sighted IMO. Now, I’m not talking hoards of space, but a manageable amount of remaining space, provides you with flexibility. One should have enough room to pack, unpack and maneuver your contents comfortably, as well as enough spare space to add en-route essential items, such as food, water and/or an additional clothing item(s) if the weather turns drastic and a purchase is necessary. If one has flexibility, then they have options.

As with one poster above, I agree that learning to pack a bag properly is also key, not only for ease of access to your equipment, but weight distribution, which is in no doubt of more importance.
Certainly, everyone has their own preferences, but I have used the following method for over 38-years:
  • I line my pack with a plastic garbage bag. This provides a good line of defence from the elements, as well as many critters. Simply twist it off at the top and tuck in.
  • Secondly, I use separate labelled and coloured bags within to organise the contents. In regards to my Camino walks, I like to use compression bags, which also act as an additional dry zone, even when removed from the pack itself. Each bag is clearly labelled at the top (Cloths, Toiletries, etc…) and inserted upright within the bag with the handles on top for ease of removing and labels for clear identification.
  • As I also carry separate shower sandals and running shoes, I use large Ziploc bags (which I don’t Ziploc close) for each pair. With the shoes inside the plastic bags, it protects the other contents from unwanted debris, and allows me to easily slip my footwear into the bag.

Anyway, just my 2-cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola,

The size of ones backpack depends on several issues.

First would be what time of year one is walking.
Winter = sleeping bag = larger backpack.
Summer = less items = smaller backpack.

Human size / physical capabilities / previous experiences with trekking / backpacking it.

Walking alone or with other partners = distributing the items better

The only real way to get a feeling of which backpack to choose is to make a test.
Collect approximately the items you want to bring and go to the outlet with it in a bag.
Ask for assistance and put the stuff into a backbag and get the clerk to adjust the backpack so it fits your torso.
Walk around with it in the shop for a while.
If it feels right go for it.

For me a 58L backpack was what I needed for a winter camino.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

I did much research about which bag to buy, including reading all the forum posts on the subject I could find. The Osprey website was very useful to check out the features I liked. I finally started going round the various UK outdoor gear shops to fit the bags on my shortlist. In my area (Sussex, UK) the Cotswold Outdoor staff were the most knowledgeable and enthusiastic about their products and it helped that the majority I spoke to have chosen to use Osprey bags themselves. It is interesting that the bag I chose based on features wasn't the bag I bought, because it wasn't the most comfortable once loaded up with weights. Yesterday I bought the Osprey Kestrel 38 M/L, and although it isn't the lightest bag in the range I find it supremely comfortable. The next step is to see whether it remains comfortable during training over the next few weeks.

I drove some distance to get to a shop which had more bags in my size, and was delighted to be served by a man who had not only walked the Camino Frances as I intend to do in April, but had started from his house in England. He instantly knew my needs and was able to give me some extra helpful tips. This was an unexpected joy, and made me feel as if my Camino had already started. The Camino has already proven to be a blessing, even though it is still 68.816 days away...(who's counting!)
Nice to see a bloke doing everything right when it comes to choosing a pack.
I took a Talon 44 and loved it, for the comfort of the carry.
That's the most important thing.

Regds
Gerard

I purchased a Kestrel 48 (s/m). Looking forward to doing a little training with it over the next couple of months. When I walked the Camino Portuguese in 2012, I had a High Sierra bag I got on sale. I developed a dislike for it before reaching Santiago.

Does anyone have any experience carrying such a bag on board a plane as "carry on"?

I'm on my third Osprey pack. The first year I walked with the Kestrel 48. Quite adequate. But I didn't need all that space, so the second year I walked with the Kestrel 36. Just the right size if one packed intelligently. Then I discovered the Exos 46, which I walked with the third year and will walk again this fourth year. It's lighter than either of the other two, and has better ventilation since the water bladder sits within the pack rather than in the small of your back. Because of this, the bladder does take up some of the interior volume, so you don't get 46L, but 44L.

Just to be clear: the water bladder in the Kestrel models is located exterior of the frame sheet, on the forward side, so it fills up the hollow in the small of the back. In the Exos model, the water bladder sits on the rear side of the frame sheet, inside the pack.

If the Osprey packs suit you, be sure to take a look at the Exos.
Hi. I just tried the Talon 33, which wasn't comfortable at all (not enough padding on the hipbelt for me) and the Kyte 36 (women's version of Kestrel), which I really liked and was planning to order online from REI this Friday (when their coupon sale begins). That is, until I read your post. Just to be clear, the reasons you prefer the Exos to the Kestrel are the ventilation and the lighter weight? Thank you very much for sharing your experience and insight. ~Alyssa

Last edited:
@Fledermaus: Thank you, I had a feeling that would be the case. Being able to reach my own bottles is a selling point for me, so I'll have to look for a different model. I love my Aura 35, but need a bigger pack for cold weather walks with more clothes and bigger sleeping bag.

@anniethenurse: The Kestrel does seem to take a lot more stuff than the Aura, interesting that you can reach them ... now I really will have to do that thing in the shop where I walk around with it full of beanbags, trying to bend my arms backwards!

Thanks to both of you for the input!
@nidarosa - did you end up getting a larger pack for cold weather caminos? I am trying to decide on my first pack and thinking perhaps I should get a larger one that would work for cold weather caminos as well as warm weather (just pack less for the warm weather). Thank you! ~Alyssa

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just ditched my 50+10 Deuter in favour of a Kestrel 38. My warmer sleeping bag does fit in if necessary, but ill be taking my 800g salewa in 3 weeks. After trimming 1.5kg from my pack list, the deuter felt like a garden sack on my back. Everything I need fits perfectly into the kestrel 38 and what I really like is that the drink system can be refilled without having to burrow through everything inside the pack. It's situated between the back padding and front wall. I couldn't imagine needing more space.

@nidarosa - did you end up getting a larger pack for cold weather caminos? I am trying to decide on my first pack and thinking perhaps I should get a larger one that would work for cold weather caminos as well as warm weather (just pack less for the warm weather). Thank you! ~Alyssa

Hi Alyssa - I did! I found an Osprey Aura 50 litre pack, which can no doubt carry 60 litres - it's ridiculous how much you can get into it - but can be cinched down to the size of the 35 and weighs about 1400 grammes. Most importantly it is every bit as comfortable as the 35 litre and easily carried 9-11 kilos last summer in the Norwegian hills and woods. Strange enough I was packing it just yesterday for a walk in Wales in July with a tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, Jetboil etc in addition to the usual stuff - clothes, rain poncho, spare shoes, toiletries etc, and the Aura 50 takes it all. For my St Olav's walk in Norway I will need this extra capacity to carry the extra stuff, but I have also thought about using it for my next camino so I never have to squash a banana again - and I can keep my boots inside the pack when I walk in sandals.

Now for normal camino use you shouldn't/don't need a pack that big, even in the winter, even though you need to bring warmer (not necessarily more) clothes and maybe a heavier or larger sleeping bag. If I can fit a tent, sleeping mat and small stove in a 50 litre on top of normal camino kit, you really don't need that big a pack. If you have tried the Talon and the Kyte you are looking in the right places I think, though I would recommend the packs with airflow at the back and I would go for a Talon 44 rather than 33 if you think you will need a bit extra room for a winter camino later. A Kestrel/Kyte 38 litre should be enough - you don't want it to get too heavy.

And as you may have guessed I can't recommend the Auras highly enough, at least the last two incarnations. The airflow across the back is fantastic and they carry really well. Good luck finding your perfect pack!

Linda

I love my Osprey Talon 44L to bits! It weighs 1.1 kilos and the 3 litre hydration system weighs 280 grams. It's more than big enough but very comfortable.
Good hunting for your bag.
allan
That's good to hear, 'cause I've just bought one of these:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey everyone,

I'm currently looking into backpacks and would like to hear your advice. I think I'll buy an Osprey backpack, since that seems to be a good and reliable brand and because I've read that people on this forum have had good experiences with Osprey backpacks.

However, I'm still making my mind up whether to go for an Atmos 35 or 50, or maybe the Stratos 36. The backpacks in the Kestrel series also seem reasonable (especially the 38L and 48L version).
I'm familiar with the thumb rule of taking no more weight than 10% of my body weight (which will be around 7 kgs). That should fit in a 35-40L backpack, but on the other hand: I'd rather have a larger backpack with more space (this is where the Atmos 50 comes into mind), than a smaller one which is completely stuffed.

Any thoughts? I won't make a definitive decision before I'll go to the outdoor store, but some more orientation would be great.

Tom
I too needed to buy gear for my Camino. Like you asked many questions from people who have gone before me and the Osprey was highly recommended. I bought my Ospreay Kestrel 38 last year. I am very pleased with my decision. There are many pockets, internal rain cover, water system, security pocket and places I have yet to discover. I also bought a sleeping bag that was pre sprayed with a protection against bed bugs. I bought this on line from a UK company who shipped it to me in the USA. It is great. I have slept in it a few time and like the feel. Sorry don't recall the name of the company but it came up when I plugged in treated sleeping bag.
Buen Camino

The Atmos 50 (medium size) was perfect for my winter camino this year. I'm 6'3" and was 195 pounds before I started walking. Total pack weight without food and water was about 16 pounds. I never noticed the herniated discs in my neck and back. I flew with the pack as my carry-on on Icelandair to Paris. Compression straps took up extra room on cold days (and mornings), and the pack was large enough to contain my fleece and other outwear on the many warm t-shirt days.

I was looking at either the Osprey Aether 60 or Exos 58. I am also thinking of downsizing based on these comments. That being said, I am planning on doing my Camino May/June or mid-Sep/mid-Nov in 2014, starting in Barcelona and connecting with the Norte route at Irun. I know these routes have fewer refugios to begin with and traveling outside the summer season, I expect many more to be closed. Thus I will be bringing a tent. So would a Kestral 48 be big enough or would the Aether 60 be too big?
Used Aether 60 in 2012 with moulded belt bit large but I was walking for 32 days ,easy to pack because of size .Lost 2 stone in weight so using a smaller belt for my camino 2014.

€83,-
Hi. I just tried the Talon 33, which wasn't comfortable at all (not enough padding on the hipbelt for me) and the Kyte 36 (women's version of Kestrel), which I really liked and was planning to order online from REI this Friday (when their coupon sale begins). That is, until I read your post. Just to be clear, the reasons you prefer the Exos to the Kestrel are the ventilation and the lighter weight? Thank you very much for sharing your experience and insight. ~Alyssa

Like Kitsambler I have the Exos 46 and I agree with him - the ventilation is good and it is lighter than most other Ospreys. It fit me well and was very comfortable. I found the size ideal for my Caminos in April where I carried more gear than you will in June. I think it will work for a winter Camino but it'd require some adroit packing. I didn't like having the water bladder on the inside because some mornings I'd forget to insert it before I'd pack and have to repack the bag. Like everything there's a trade off - better ventilation with the bladder on the inside but a hassle now and then when you forget to insert it before you pack!!

In June you can probably get away with a smaller pack like the Kyte 36. If you want a pack that you can use in other seasons you probably will have to go larger and cinch it down like Leaning Forward suggests. But don't go too large (over 50) as the bigger the pack the more it weighs.

All this said buy the pack that fits you the best. You can't go wrong with Osprey. Mine looks brand new after two Caminos and is back in Europe on my son's back.

Well after some 142 replies...............ONCE I WAS CONFUSED NOW, I'M NOT SO SURE.
I think I will stick to my Lowe Alpine 65 + 15 that way no one will run off with it, and I am sure to spot it amongst the eagles, ospreys and any other birds.

Alyssa, if you want a larger than the Exos 46, there is an Exos 58 too. I have been using it on several caminos. Easier to pack than the smaller one, which I also tried, and weigh nearly the same, 1100gr.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Alyssa, if you want a larger than the Exos 46, there is an Exos 58 too. I have been using it on several caminos. Easier to pack than the smaller one, which I also tried, and weigh nearly the same, 1100gr.

There is a new (2014) Exos 58 an a 48 ( replaces the 46)
I just bought the 48 and trying it now. The 58 mist gives more room to load in unneeded "stuff".

Hi Alyssa - I did! I found an Osprey Aura 50 litre pack, which can no doubt carry 60 litres - it's ridiculous how much you can get into it - but can be cinched down to the size of the 35 and weighs about 1400 grammes. Most importantly it is every bit as comfortable as the 35 litre and easily carried 9-11 kilos last summer in the Norwegian hills and woods. Strange enough I was packing it just yesterday for a walk in Wales in July with a tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, Jetboil etc in addition to the usual stuff - clothes, rain poncho, spare shoes, toiletries etc, and the Aura 50 takes it all. For my St Olav's walk in Norway I will need this extra capacity to carry the extra stuff, but I have also thought about using it for my next camino so I never have to squash a banana again - and I can keep my boots inside the pack when I walk in sandals.

Now for normal camino use you shouldn't/don't need a pack that big, even in the winter, even though you need to bring warmer (not necessarily more) clothes and maybe a heavier or larger sleeping bag. If I can fit a tent, sleeping mat and small stove in a 50 litre on top of normal camino kit, you really don't need that big a pack. If you have tried the Talon and the Kyte you are looking in the right places I think, though I would recommend the packs with airflow at the back and I would go for a Talon 44 rather than 33 if you think you will need a bit extra room for a winter camino later. A Kestrel/Kyte 38 litre should be enough - you don't want it to get too heavy.

And as you may have guessed I can't recommend the Auras highly enough, at least the last two incarnations. The airflow across the back is fantastic and they carry really well. Good luck finding your perfect pack!

Linda
Thanks so much for the detailed information Linda. It's not just the Camino I am interested in having a pack for but also for backpacking in the Sierras, Yosemite, etc., which makes the larger pack appealing. That having been said, it might be better to focus on the Camino for now and cross the backcountry when I get to it, so-to-speak. I'm not one to jump into anything so I will continue to read, ponder, meditate, and most importantly, try on (over and over and over, which hopefully won't drive the sales people crazy). Thanks again. ~Alyssa

Last edited:
Oh gosh, I definitely won't go over 50L. I really liked the Kyte 36 so will return and try on the Kyte 46. I'm glad you like your Exos. I've read that some people feel that comfort and durability are the trade for it's extreme lightness. I will probably try the Exos 38 and 46. Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey everyone,

I'm currently looking into backpacks and would like to hear your advice. I think I'll buy an Osprey backpack, since that seems to be a good and reliable brand and because I've read that people on this forum have had good experiences with Osprey backpacks.

However, I'm still making my mind up whether to go for an Atmos 35 or 50, or maybe the Stratos 36. The backpacks in the Kestrel series also seem reasonable (especially the 38L and 48L version).
I'm familiar with the thumb rule of taking no more weight than 10% of my body weight (which will be around 7 kgs). That should fit in a 35-40L backpack, but on the other hand: I'd rather have a larger backpack with more space (this is where the Atmos 50 comes into mind), than a smaller one which is completely stuffed.

Any thoughts? I won't make a definitive decision before I'll go to the outdoor store, but some more orientation would be great.

Tom

Hi Boumeester. I may be too late with my response since you posted this in February but I purchased an Osprey Aether 60 and I love it. It has everything I need and I love not hanging bedroll and sleeping bag on the OUTSIDE like so many do.

I researched backpacks and tried on many of them and finally settled on the OA 60 and bought it at REI. Not sure if you have one there in the Netherlands or not.

Most people are SHOCKED that I would walk with a 60 liter backpack, but again, I would rather pack light and have more space to keep ALL my stuff on the inside. I've been training 10-15km per day in full [ 9 kg ] backpack since 1 SEP 13 for my 9 SEP 14 departure to do Camino Frances from SJPP to Santiago and on to Finisterre. I hardly feel it and sometime feel much more comfortable walking with it than without it! ha ha.

After getting an email from another shocked experienced pilgrim, I inadvertently looked at John Biereley's Guide to Camino de Santiago and his book cover has a photo of him on the Camino. I looked closer and he has the EXACT same backpack as I do!!

I feel relieved that I am not the only one who will have done the CF with an Osprey Aether 60!!

We all have our own reasons for choosing the backpacks we carry but I have a 25 liter awesome backpack for day hikes. The OA 60 will be my "home" for two [2] months in Spain and I am glad I decided on this one.

The absolute best part of the Osprey 60 is that it has a top compartment that is easily accessible for those things we need more frequently, two [2] small zippered hip pockets for hourly needs such as sun-glasses and an iPod shuffle, but also a separate zippered compartment on the bottom to keep my new highly compressible sleeping bag and sleeping pad.

You can use this anywhere in the world and pack it as light as you wish because of the compression straps to keep things tight.

¡Buen Camino!

Noah from Indianapolis

PS: By the way. Just as a disclaimer, I do NOT work for the company that makes or sells Osprey!!

Hey everyone,

Tom
Tom,
I have a Osprey Hornet med/large size (32L I think). I am of 2 minds on this. My pack is VERY Lightweight (388 gms. with rain cover). I am nearly 67" tall and 130# female. My pack is stuffed and 2 items will go on the outside while I walk. I will strap them down so no big deal but I do wish the pack was bigger . However this is where I have to remember that if it was larger it would weigh more. I have to say that this is my first camino and my first "long walk". So I can't tell you what the final assessment is until I return home at the end of June. Oh, my expected weight with water and food is about 7-8 kgs or 17-18 #. The upper limit of the pack is 20# per the manufacturer.
Good luck choosing!
Stefania

Tom,
I have a Osprey Hornet med/large size (32L I think). I am of 2 minds on this. My pack is VERY Lightweight (388 gms. with rain cover).

Wow, that sounds incredibly light. Are you sure it's correct? Is it the Osprey Hornet? A quick search showed the weight to be about 600 gms.

€83,-
Tom,
I have a Osprey Hornet med/large size (32L I think). I am of 2 minds on this. My pack is VERY Lightweight (388 gms. with rain cover). I am nearly 67" tall and 130# female. My pack is stuffed and 2 items will go on the outside while I walk. I will strap them down so no big deal but I do wish the pack was bigger . However this is where I have to remember that if it was larger it would weigh more. I have to say that this is my first camino and my first "long walk". So I can't tell you what the final assessment is until I return home at the end of June. Oh, my expected weight with water and food is about 7-8 kgs or 17-18 #. The upper limit of the pack is 20# per the manufacturer.
Good luck choosing!
Stefania
Like @Robo, I couldn't reconcile the information provided in your post. My experience indicates that you should be able to pack 8kg into a 32li pack, although I think it will be tight. I would normally recommend that you consider a pack around 40 li for a load that size.

I understand your concern about weight, but the Hornet is a pack designed for ultra-lightweight trekking, and won't have many of the features of packs designed for more conventional use. That said, there are several good Osprey packs around 40li or so that are still quite light, around the 1kg mark.

Its really up to you whether you want to have all your gear inside the pack or not. I prefer that, but others are happy to strap things onto the outside. If you want everything inside the pack, it seem clear that you will need something bigger.

Regards,

Like @Robo,

I understand your concern about weight, but the Hornet is a pack designed for ultra-lightweight trekking, and won't have many of the features of packs designed for more conventional use. That said, there are several good Osprey packs around 40li or so that are still quite light, around the 1kg mark.

Its really up to you whether you want to have all your gear inside the pack or not. I prefer that, but others are happy to strap things onto the outside. If you want everything inside the pack, it seem clear that you will need something bigger.

Regards,

What are your thoughts Doug, on pack weight v comfort? I mean the weight of the pack itself, not its contents.

I had a look at a few Ospreys. I think it was the Exos, that was Ultralite. But my concern was that it might be too lightweight in construction. i.e. the shoulder straps, waist belt etc might lack the width and padding required to spread the load and provide some comfort.

Is it perhaps a false 'benefit' to try to save an extra 400-500 g on the pack itself, whereas a slight heavier pack would 'feel' better and ultimately reduce tiredness and aches and pains.

What are your thoughts Doug, on pack weight v comfort? I mean the weight of the pack itself, not its contents.

I had a look at a few Ospreys. I think it was the Exos, that was Ultralite. But my concern was that it might be too lightweight in construction. i.e. the shoulder straps, waist belt etc might lack the width and padding required to spread the load and provide some comfort.

Is it perhaps a false 'benefit' to try to save an extra 400-500 g on the pack itself, whereas a slight heavier pack would 'feel' better and ultimately reduce tiredness and aches and pains.
Robo, this is a great question, but one to which I have never really found a satisfactory objective answer. I have tried a couple of lightweight 'racing' packs which have weighed about 30-31 gm/li, and not found them very comfortable, and would not consider using them for multi-day walks. But I think the problem is more complicated than just comfort.

Within my current collection, in the 30-40 li range I have two packs with trampoline frames that are much more comfortable, as well as being more suited to multi-day walking. Both were used by family members walking the Milford Track last year quite successfully, and they were both over 40 gm/li, and have the highest weight/volume ratio.

One I have used as a day-pack for years, preferring its multiple pockets and divided main compartment for the flexibility these offer to organise smaller items so that they remain readily accessible, keeping rain gear in the bottom compartment and leaving the top part of the main compartment free for a fleece, lunch, vacuum flask, etc. For multi-day walks, the bottom compartment is used for sleeping gear, which can then removed and replaced without unpacking the remainder of the pack. Both come with their own rain cover.

My larger packs that have divided main compartments, but don't have side pockets, and none have the trampoline frame but all have conventional padding supporting an internal metal frame. They all have reasonable padding, none have their own rain cover, and one has panel access as well as top access to the main compartment, and a zippered cover for the pack harness. I class this as a travel pack rather than a hiking pack, even though its weight/size ratio is very similar, but heavier, than the other two which are around 35 gm/li.

By comparison, Osprey make a range of simple single compartment packs with a trampoline frame at around 28-30 gm/li. The key design features that seem to drive this are:
  • use of lighter fabrics (remember this is not an issue on the camino, where the pack isn't really going to be scraped over rocks and pushed past tree branches such as might be the case bush-walking)
  • use of narrower webbing straps. Some packs are using 12.5 mm or narrower straps where 25 mm straps are used by other manufacturers.
  • only having a single main compartment. and not having the weight of a separation panel and zipper.
  • not having enclosed side pockets, although they generally have simple elastic mesh pockets on the side of the pack, and some provide zippered pouches on the waist belt which will add back some weight.
So its not just comfort that is the issue - basically Osprey make simple, straightforward packs without many of the useful features that are found on other packs. In a market for packs that aren't going to to be put under much pressure, they have effectively used lighter components to great advantage. Its really up to you to work out what are the most important features for your pack. Do you want to take the ultra-light path, with just a single main compartment, a frameless design that cannot hold its shape, and thinner, less padded harness straps, or are you prepared to add some extra weight for a more flexible and durable pack.

Regards,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow, that sounds incredibly light. Are you sure it's correct? Is it the Osprey Hornet? A quick search showed the weight to be about 600 gms.
You guys got me wondering about the weight so I looked at it again. My pack (Hornet) is 0.6 L/ 600 gms. or 1# 4 oz. without the rain cover. The rain cover is 76 gms. Sorry!! I have not weighed it without stuff in it for a long time. I have been training with it being 18# in total for several weeks. I am now set on using it with 2 items on the outside that are both plastic/waterproof - my crocs and my wedge (blows up to raise head and chest for sleeping).
If I do another camino or can't stand the way it feels on the camino this May/June I will do something about it at that time. I am hoping that my actual weight will be about 7kgs. or 15.4# when I am hiking but I kind of like the idea of training with more weight than I will actually carry so the mountains won't be such a shock : ) I live in an area with little to no elevation. I have found a glacial area with steep ups and downs but they are very short even though there are lots of them. It gets me breathing!
Thanks for paying attention and thank you Doug for all the comments about the straps etc. I will keep those in mind if I do have to get a different pack later. I am leaving home May 15th and can't wait!
Stefania

I'm on my third Osprey pack. The first year I walked with the Kestrel 48. Quite adequate. But I didn't need all that space, so the second year I walked with the Kestrel 36. Just the right size if one packed intelligently. Then I discovered the Exos 46, which I walked with the third year and will walk again this fourth year. It's lighter than either of the other two, and has better ventilation since the water bladder sits within the pack rather than in the small of your back. Because of this, the bladder does take up some of the interior volume, so you don't get 46L, but 44L.

Just to be clear: the water bladder in the Kestrel models is located exterior of the frame sheet, on the forward side, so it fills up the hollow in the small of the back. In the Exos model, the water bladder sits on the rear side of the frame sheet, inside the pack.

If the Osprey packs suit you, be sure to take a look at the Exos.

I checked out the Exos as I was very keen on the light weight. But the shoulder straps and hip belt seemed almost too lightweight for multi day comfort. You must have found it comfortable though?

I checked out the Exos as I was very keen on the light weight. But the shoulder straps and hip belt seemed almost too lightweight for multi day comfort. You must have found it comfortable though?
Oh yes, very comfortable. I wore it for a month of walking, in year 3 and year 4 both. It's still going strong and very comfortable. My go-to pack for sure. But ... packs are like shoes: not everything fits everyone, since feet and bodies are so varied.

Osprey's Exos series is a trampoline-style, internal frame pack. The main compartment is undivided, with a separate very large lid compartment. Plus there is a large zippered "stuffing" compartment as well as anadditional stretchy "stuffing" compartment large enough for a rain jacket or helmet on the back. So there is certainly no absence of pockets or structure. The side pockets are stretch-mesh, with two options for arranging the compression webbing, depending on your needs.

This model has worked well for me for several years; I'm an engineer living in the same city as the REI main store who is picky about the technical details of her equipment. As always, "your mileage may vary". For me, the lightweight comfort was the primary deciding factor.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was at REI this weekend for their monthly yard sale and I over heard one of the sales people state "you don't pick the pack the pack picks you." I totally agree. I tried on 5 or 6 packs before I picked mine. Mine is an Osprey and my daughter got a Gregory. I like the bigger pack not to pack it full but to have room for after the camino when we need to pick up souvenirs.

I was at REI this weekend for their monthly yard sale and I over heard one of the sales people state "you don't pick the pack the pack picks you." I totally agree. I tried on 5 or 6 packs before I picked mine.
That is a wonderful idea. I wonder if my wife will accept it when I next return from the local outdoor store with a new gadget?

€60,-
I kind of like the idea of training with more weight than I will actually carry

How Roman soldiers trained for their long marches. But take care not to overdo it. I'm just rereading John Hillaby's "Walk Through Europe" and he trained by putting a London telephone directory into his pack with metal discs between the pages. He starts his walk with a knee injury caused by a jolt with his heavy training pack.

I've got a Volt which at 60L might be a bit too big but it's what I have (for now).

With so many options, each time I read a different thread I think about getting something else. You can drive yourself crazy

After trying on multiple packs from different companies, I finally purchased the Osprey Kyte 46, which I hiked with packed several times last month. I really liked it but felt it was too large.

Returned to REI (for the umpteenth time since buying my plane ticket to Spain) and tried on the Kestrel 38 (was really attracted to the lower weight) but it didn't feel at all comfortable.

Finally ordered the Sirrus 36, which fit and felt like a dream. I've been hiking with it several times during the past few weeks packed with my Camino Gear and love it. Everything fits with just enough space leftover to add lunch.

There is a part of me that would like to go slightly larger so that I have some flexibility but as I've read here, if I had more room, I would probably be tempted to add more stuff.

Dave2525 I know what you mean. I have a 55L which I bought early on. But like I stated before like the guy at the REI store said "the pack picks you" So I am over thinking about the pack anymore. I would rather have a bigger pack that I can find things and be able to fill after the trip than a smaller one and not be able to get my souvenir home. I am doing more traveling after this trip so I need the room for other clothes that are coming over after I am done.

After trying on multiple packs from different companies, I finally purchased the Osprey Kyte 46, which I hiked with packed several times last month. I really liked it but felt it was too large.

Returned to REI (for the umpteenth time since buying my plane ticket to Spain) and tried on the Kestrel 38 (was really attracted to the lower weight) but it didn't feel at all comfortable.

Finally ordered the Sirrus 36, which fit and felt like a dream. I've been hiking with it several times during the past few weeks packed with my Camino Gear and love it. Everything fits with just enough space leftover to add lunch.

There is a part of me that would like to go slightly larger so that I have some flexibility but as I've read here, if I had more room, I would probably be tempted to add more stuff.
Alyssa, I too have been looking for the perfect pack. I've recently purchased a Tempest 30 which is the female version of the Talon 33. While it is nice and light, the shoulder and waist straps just don't seem substantial enough. No stores near me have the Sirrus which I've been looking at, so unless I order it, it is hard to tell if the straps are more substantial than the Tempest even though it is heavier. I'm only 5' tall, so I need to order XS/S. That also reduces it to 28 ltrs. which when packed, really doesn't leave me any room at all. Do you think the straps on your Sirrus are more comfy and substantial than some of the other packs?
Thanks,
Linda

Alyssa, I too have been looking for the perfect pack. I've recently purchased a Tempest 30 which is the female version of the Talon 33. While it is nice and light, the shoulder and waist straps just don't seem substantial enough. No stores near me have the Sirrus which I've been looking at, so unless I order it, it is hard to tell if the straps are more substantial than the Tempest even though it is heavier. I'm only 5' tall, so I need to order XS/S. That also reduces it to 28 ltrs. which when packed, really doesn't leave me any room at all. Do you think the straps on your Sirrus are more comfy and substantial than some of the other packs?
Thanks,
Linda
Linda, I had the same experience with the Talon and the Tempest. So many people here had written how much they like the Talon that those were the first packs I tried. Like you, I felt it was "underpadded". (I'm glad that it serves so many people so well, however ; )

The Sirrus and Kyte, on the other hand, are beautifully padded. In fact, while hiking with my friend Matt, a frequent backpacker, he picked up the Sirrus, put it on, stared at me, then declared, "Wow. Those are the most comfortable straps I've ever felt."

The Kyte also comes in a 36 and if I didn't already have the Sirrus 36, I would consider that as a viable option. (It has some features I prefer to those of the Sirrus, and vice versa). I will PM you a link to the post on my blog that details my pack-seeking adventures.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
With all the suggestions, I'm curios what is the maximum size that can be brought as a carry on. I absolutely do not want to check my bag

Linda, I had the same experience with the Talon and the Tempest. So many people here had written how much they like the Talon that those were the first packs I tried. Like you, I felt it was "underpadded". (I'm glad that it serves so many people so well, however ; )

The Sirrus and Kyte, on the other hand, are beautifully padded. In fact, while hiking with my friend Matt, a frequent backpacker, he picked up the Sirrus, put it on, stared at me, then declared, "Wow. Those are the most comfortable straps I've ever felt."

The Kyte also comes in a 36 and if I didn't already have the Sirrus 36, I would consider that as a viable option. (It has some features I prefer to those of the Sirrus, and vice versa). I will PM you a link to the post on my blog that details my pack-seeking adventures.
Just spent hours at REI trying out all my gear in the Kyte 36 and have confirmed that the Sirrus 36 is for me. I love the suspended mesh back system on the Sirrus. It sits so much better on my back than any other pack I have tried. Phew. Another thing crossed off my list.

A thought on a slightly bigger pack: if you don't pack it full it won't be that much heavier than the slightly smaller pack. And if you don't fill it, the extra room in it may make it easier to get to things at the bottom without having to empty the pack. At the end if the hike, you can load it with goodies to take home :) I have a slightly too big pack and decided I need to just go with what I've got and save the $ for
More fun in Spain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just spent hours at REI trying out all my gear in the Kyte 36 and have confirmed that the Sirrus 36 is for me. I love the suspended mesh back system on the Sirrus. It sits so much better on my back than any other pack I have tried. Phew. Another thing crossed off my list.

I knew you'd end up with a smaller pack! You won't regret it.

With all the suggestions, I'm curios what is the maximum size that can be brought as a carry on. I absolutely do not want to check my bag
Partially, the answer here depends on your airline's baggage limits. At 8 kgs, the international limits are more constrained than domestic flights. Check the longest dimension and consider how much "rearrangement space" you have. One of the culprits in not being able to get the pack to fit into the carry-on sizing frame is that the pack is stuffed too much in the "deep" dimension (front to back). Visually you might say that is the "round peg in square hole" problem.

One more thought on Osprey packs - not only are they great packs, they have EXCELLENT customer service. I am planning my Camino at the moment, but work as a tour leader in Indonesia, so live out of a backpack...and have several Osprey packs. They have done repairs for me in the past free of charge, and last year replaced a damaged pack with a brand new one. I too, will be looking for an Osprey pack that's 'just right' for my Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm in castrojeriz as I write this. I'm carrying a 32 litre Osprey and at this point I'm probably 7.5 skin out because I've used some stuff up. I am seeing lots of injuries that just have to be related to mega packs and of course going too far too fast. The problem with a big pack is that you think you won't use all the space but it's just too tempting to put in that extra shirt, journal, bottle of conditioner. If you're super fit then go for it, but otherwise a small pack is your friend - IMHO. Yesterday I talked to two girls who were chucking stuff out of their 65 litre packs, desperate to get to a carryable weight. It's hard to do once you're on The Way.

For what it's worth I did the CF to Fisterra last autumn with a Osprey Talon 33. The pack was on its limit volume wise the whole way but I felt it was perfect for me. I carried probably 10kgs with full water load at most and there should be no need to carry more than this on the CF unless you are using a tent! Having said that I am quite big and strong (which is really a disadvantage in long distance multi day hiking I guess) but it means that I don't feel the need to have huge padded belts when carrying such a light load. The maximum in this pack I would put at around 10kgs although the manufacturer says 12.5kgs from memory. The pack only weighs around 800g.

The key point is that you really shouldn't carry any more than you need on a multi week hike like this. If I had used my 60L Deuter I am sure I would have managed to justify and end up with more weight. Certainly a 40L pack should be more than enough in less you have a tent or other essential medical items or equipment you absolutely have to have....

Buen Camino!

I hope to do my first walk in 2015. Will most likely walk with my Osprey Talon 44, my all time favorite backpack. I'm toying with trying out my Stratos 34 which I just got. But I just love my Talon too much. I've got time to decide. I agree with everyone here. The best pack is the one that fits you best. I'm 6'4" and an athletic 230lbs. So I'm a big dude. I used to think I needed a BIG backpack. I Travelled thru Asia & NZ lugging around a huge 88L pack. It was fine. But I've since converted to a less is more philosophy. But again, to each their own. And there are times where a big backpack may be good. Since using the Talon 44 tho, it'd be hard for me to go back to a bigger pack if I didn't have to. I just love the way it hugs my back and carries a load. Anyway, good hearing about everyone's experiences.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello, i Just pack
Hey everyone,

Tom

I just want to echo Tom's thanks to all. I think I will be taking a pack that is a bit smaller than my 65. Will definitely be checking out another Osprey pack, I do love the one I have.

Blessings!
I have an Atmos 50 and it was great for a winter Camino where you need a few more items than other seasons. Pretty sure I'll get the new Atmos 50L AG so I can have the airspeed back plus the new webbings system. Great ventilation and don't have to be too precise as you pack every morning!

While I haven't yet experienced my Camino, that is scheduled next May but I do have experience with backpacking and hiking. I have had several packs and these last few years have utilized the Osprey brand. I recently had bought the Kestryl and the Sirrus packs but returned them both when I tried the Exos 38. To me the Exos is the lightest weight and has more features than the others. The front pocket is larger and stretches, the side pockets are also deeper, wider and stretch to accommodate larger bottles. There are draw strings along the sides and bottoms to secure additional items to the exterior. The top flap has a zippered pocket on top and just inside of the flap. This flap can be removed if not necessary for the conditions you are embarking upon. It is a top loader but opens large enough to allow space to organize the pack. The hip belts and shoulder straps are well padded and ventilated. The hip belts fit so well on my hips.
This is a very comfortable pack. Unfortunately it doesn't come with a pack cover like the rest do but they are easily purchased separately.

I completed my Camino Portugese recently with an Osprey Kestrel 38 which I found comfortable with the good features listed by Delynda above and more than adequate space-wise - 6.5kgs total weight. Was able to break-down my Lekki poles and store them inside (with points protected) for 'checked-in' baggage. [I had intended to security-wrap them to the outside of the Rucksack but the only wrapping machine at Stanstead had broken down on 28/4. It arrived in Oporto ok so I did the same for the return from Santiago and again, arrived ok - but make you secure all straps and fasten the waistbelt around the front of the Rucksac]. It also accommodated a 'mini' rucksack whilst I walked the Camino which I had used as Cabin Baggage (for Tablet+chargers+documentation). So, very satisfied with my Osprey.

Hey everyone,

Tom
20150518_152120.jpg Anti-gravity backpack - the best.

View attachment 19171 Anti-gravity backpack - the best.
We have the Exos 38 and love it. It has lots of stretchable netted pockets, vented waiste and shoulder straps, top detachable pouch and the best part is it only weighs 2lbs. It's incredibly comfortable and with 15-20 lbs it sits on the hips well and extremely comfortable. It's really so lightweight and just perfect for this pilgrimage.

Thanks again, everyone! I prefer to go old school with bottles rather than use a bladder, and the Kestrel in its new ladies' version called Kyte seems worth waiting for ... I need a much bigger pack on St Olav's Way, so pack shopping is imminent!

EDIT: Back to the original poster's subject - Osprey backpacks. I have and love the Aura 35, which was perfect for my Camino Frances in 2012, and also my new Talon 44, which is going to Norway in a week. In my opinion Osprey have really *got* backpacks, there are shapes and sizes and features to fit most people and most needs.
I bought the Osprey Kyte 36 and although I still have three months before I leave (the final test), it is a women's top loading pack; has a fixed top pocket for easy access, and gear loops. If you've researched this, and it looks like you have, you know it also has a padded space-mesh harness, a bottom zippered sleeping bag space (I'm not taking a sleeping bag, just a thin quilted liner), removable sleeping pad straps. It also has a rain protector built in to one of the pockets.

@Maggie MacLaren Glad you like the Kyte! I did research it (I know much more about backpacks than anyone not running an outdoor shop should) but found it too heavy for my use. Also I couldn't reach the bottle in the side pocket when I tried. I ended up getting a Golite Jam which is very light and and has good sized bottle pockets on the sides, and also found that I could reach and replace my bottle on the new Osprey Tempest.

@Maggie MacLaren Glad you like the Kyte! I did research it (I know much more about backpacks than anyone not running an outdoor shop should) but found it too heavy for my use. Also I couldn't reach the bottle in the side pocket when I tried. I ended up getting a Golite Jam which is very light and and has good sized bottle pockets on the sides, and also found that I could reach and replace my bottle on the new Osprey Tempest.
Glad you found one that will work best for you. Like you, I prefer water bottles, but I can deal with the pocket thing. I was not familiar with Golite Jam. Buen Camino

€83,-
Just completed the Camino Francés, SJPP to SDC, with the Osprey Kestrel 38. I'm a 5'11" (1.8m) male, 16o lbs (73 kgs), and this pack, when properly adjusted, was a dream.

I was very diligent about keeping my packed weight as low as possible, and managed to carry everything at under 14 lbs, about 6½ kilos. This included the weight of the pack.

Keep in mind that, on any given day, you'll also be carrying from 1 to 3 liters of water, which will add another 2.2 to 6.6 lbs to your carried weight.

I'd like to stress what other posters have said- carry as little weight as possible. You'd be surprised how little you actually need, and it makes no sense to have overcapacity because you "might" need it, or because you want to have room for souvenirs at the end. What's more, with intelligent packing, I still had plenty of extra room in the Kestrel 38. During the last 3 weeks of my walk, I didn't feel the weight of the pack at all.

Just completed the Camino Francés, SJPP to SDC, with the Osprey Kestrel 38. I'm a 5'11" (1.8m) male, 16o lbs (73 kgs), and this pack, when properly adjusted, was a dream.

I was very diligent about keeping my packed weight as low as possible, and managed to carry everything at under 14 lbs, about 6½ kilos. This included the weight of the pack.

Keep in mind that, on any given day, you'll also be carrying from 1 to 3 liters of water, which will add another 2.2 to 6.6 lbs to your carried weight.

I'd like to stress what other posters have said- carry as little weight as possible. You'd be surprised how little you actually need, and it makes no sense to have overcapacity because you "might" need it, or because you want to have room for souvenirs at the end. What's more, with intelligent packing, I still had plenty of extra room in the Kestrel 38. During the last 3 weeks of my walk, I didn't feel the weight of the pack at all.
Congratulations on your completion. I love the Osprey. In my current training here in Victoria (BC), I find that each time I train, I repack my bag. I have the Osprey 36L Kyte. Only negative is access to the water bottle, so am rigging up a belt pack for that purpose. I did have it down to 8 lbs, but with added flat shoes , a new poncho going in (purchasing in St. Jean) and with water it will probably end up at 10-12 lbs max, which I am totally comfortable with. I'm 5' 2" and 138lbs

Hey everyone,

Tom
I used a Osprey Talon 44 for my English and Portuguese Caminos and will use it next year when I walk the French route. I'm 5'9", 175 centimeters tall and weigh 175 pounds, 79.38 kilograms. I bought a large/extra large pack but it was a bad fit. Returned it to REI and got a small/medium Pack. It's adjustable and fits like a glove and is very comfortable. Holds all my gear and the "maybe" extras :D. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I currently use a Deuter ACT Lite 50 + 10. I’m 6’2” (188.9cm) and 182 lbs (82.5kg). Carrying 18 lbs (8.2kg) w/water. Most comfortable bag I have ever owned. Fits great and manages the weight distribution extremely well. I’ve carried smaller bags before, but for my frame the straps and support, are too small and simply don’t work for me. I’m all about proper fit, support and comfort first. Each person needs to find the backpack, which works best for them. Buen Camino!

While I haven't yet experienced my Camino, that is scheduled next May but I do have experience with backpacking and hiking. I have had several packs and these last few years have utilized the Osprey brand. I recently had bought the Kestryl and the Sirrus packs but returned them both when I tried the Exos 38. To me the Exos is the lightest weight and has more features than the others. The front pocket is larger and stretches, the side pockets are also deeper, wider and stretch to accommodate larger bottles. There are draw strings along the sides and bottoms to secure additional items to the exterior. The top flap has a zippered pocket on top and just inside of the flap. This flap can be removed if not necessary for the conditions you are embarking upon. It is a top loader but opens large enough to allow space to organize the pack. The hip belts and shoulder straps are well padded and ventilated. The hip belts fit so well on my hips.
This is a very comfortable pack. Unfortunately it doesn't come with a pack cover like the rest do but they are easily purchased separately.
Delynda, how was (has been ) your experience with Exos 38? My concern isthat the front straps (harness) are not really padded, so I may start feeling some weight after some days carrying it. Thanks

Hey everyone,

Tom

I purchased an Aura 50 AG, which is a women's specific backpack, BUT.... the men's version of this is the Atmos 50 or 65 AG. The AG stands for Anit-Gravity, which is a special suspension system. This 3D suspension system contours your body providing seamless comfort allowing the user mobility with ease on any multi-day backpacking trip.Two of my friends are using the Atmos and they love it.

I don't mean to hijack the original poster's thread, but I was hoping someone who owns a Kestrel pack could answer a question: Can you reach your water bottles in the side pockets without taking the pack off? I managed to do this with my Aura, which was one of the reasons I love it so much, but from the pics the Kestrel doesn't have the same dual entry side pockets. If you put half litre bottles in them, can you get them out and put them back again just stretching your arms back?

Thanks!
Linda

I have a Kestrel 46 and I am unable to reach bottles in the side pockets, hence the use of the camel bladder instead......

I just completed SJPP to Finisterre. I used the Atmos 50 AG. The Kestrel 36 is more popular, but almost all of those people had something hanging from the pack - water bottle, pad, etc. This really defeats the purpose of a suspension system and the AG was a dream. You don't need 50L for this journey, but the extra weight is minimal. I didnt have any blister issues and Im convinced in part that's because of the suspension system on the backpack distributing the weight properly so my walking gait was not affected. You really can't go wrong with an Osprey. The question to ask yourself is whether you would use the equipment again or use something different. I can't imagine walking again without the AG system.

Hi Alfonso, like to ask if you had any problems with the hip belt after the walk? By problems, I refer to some posts here where people mentioned that because they lose weight over the camino, what used to fit around the hip now becomes loose and because the pack just fit, there wasn't much room to tighten the hip belt. Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I’ve just been researching packs and although I ended up with an Aarn, the Osprey Ariel was on my shortlist. Great all-round pack and it has a wonderful front zip opening (as well as top and bottom) which is rare for a trekking pack (usually on hybrids) so great for normal travel as well as camino.

Like all of you before me have been, I am in the midst of choosing a backpack. Recently I tried booth the Osprey Kyte 46 and the Sirrus 50. They are quite similar, both great packs, both felt good and I tried to decide which would be better. My wonderful daughter, who will be walking with me next spring, explained that some of the features of the Sirrus, such as the front opening and removable top are more appealing for a travel pack rather than a hiking pack. She also mentioned that on some packs that have a side compression strap and a side mesh water bottle pocket, the strap can be threaded under instead of over a water bottle. There is so much to learn on this adventure!

Like all of you before me have been, I am in the midst of choosing a backpack. Recently I tried booth the Osprey Kyte 46 and the Sirrus 50. They are quite similar, both great packs, both felt good and I tried to decide which would be better. My wonderful daughter, who will be walking with me next spring, explained that some of the features of the Sirrus, such as the front opening and removable top are more appealing for a travel pack rather than a hiking pack. She also mentioned that on some packs that have a side compression strap and a side mesh water bottle pocket, the strap can be threaded under instead of over a water bottle. There is so much to learn on this adventure!

I researched packs on here for months before my Camino.

The 2 important things I gained from the advice were:

1. Go for comfort. You'll be wearing it a lot! I went to the store intending to buy one pack, but bought another because it felt right. Most stores will have weights you can put into the pack to test it loaded. Though I took a sac with all my Camino stuff. to ensure it would fit.....
  2. You don't need a large bag. I took a Stratos 34. (but did not carry a sleeping bag) I would think for a warm weather Camino 40 L would be ample. And it did fit in the overhead lockers: See pic. http://robscamino.com/25th-of-april-en-route-to-the-camino/
Bottom line. Wear it in the shop. Make sure all your gear fits.

€83,-

I very much prefer a panel loader as opposed to a top loader. I also find that the Osprey side compression straps threaded under the water bottle work well for me. I got all of my other gear together first which helped me choose a pack size. Good luck with your decision.

I don't know why everyone wants to use such big packs, unless you are going in the winter. I just got back from the camino (Aug 13 - Sept 19 2015) and used and Osprey Stratos 24 liter pack. Everything fit. I selected a small pack because I know the temptation to just keep putting stuff in there, either before the trip or on the way. The Stratos was a great pack.

I don't know why everyone wants to use such big packs, unless you are going in the winter.

Well, for me I used the Osprey Kyte 36, although I didn't need so much space, just because it was the most comfortable pack I could find. I wanted a smaller pack than that, at least in theory, but I found that for me the small packs rode on the back rather than my hips and were actually more tiring, even though they weighed less. A pack is a very personal choice and what works great for one person may not suit somebody else at all.

Last edited:
I completed the Frances from SJ May & June wearing my Exos 46 - comfortable and plenty of extra room that I utilized to bring back gifts and some 'civies' I bought in Madrid on the way home. I am planning another shorter Camino next spring - either from Oviedo or Leon - and may drop down to my Talon 33, which would have worked, too. I'm 6'3 (190 cm) tall and weight is about 195 lbs (88kg), so my gear is a little larger than average. Just take the smallest pack that will handle a well thought out,fully culled, gear list that fits comfortably. And as pudgypilgrim sez, just because it's smaller, it's not necessarily better or more comfortable: the design and way it distributes the weight is just as important

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.