• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which outer layer fleece for Sept/Oct?

Mike Savage

So many friends to meet . . . so little time
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés,Inglés
Muxia/Finisterre
Português Coastal
Português Central
Sanabrés
I have most of my equipment but am confused on what weight fleece for an outer layer of warmth. This will be for the Camino Francés from September 7th-October 16th this year. I was thinking of the North Face Canyonwall but it is listed as a heavy weight and weighs 20oz (567grams) This will be layered over a lightweight merino short sleeve t-shirt and midweight long sleeve t-shirt which both seem pretty light to me. I also have a lightweight windproof outer layer.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!
(Yes I tried multiple searches and could not find an answer)

Mike

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you have rain gear that could be added in an emergency, I think a light to medium fleece would be plenty. I found that a merino wool buff and lightweight gloves were very useful in October to add warmth in the mornings but they were small and easily removed as I warmed up from walking. Several thin layers are better than a single heavy one.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I agree with the girls above. A med-weight fleece at this time of year with an extra top layer for wind/drizzle. I also take a set of ‘sleeves’ used by cyclists. I can put them on in the morning when it’s chilly with a short sleeve shirt and fleece over the top. As it warms up, remove the fleece. Then as you get even warmer, the sleeves can be pulled off without taking your pack off at all. I just tie them around my straps until the next stop. Easy peasy.

From the responses here I do get a bit worried: I will also be on CF in September and in Finisterre in October: is it really so chilly/cold in September that all these layers will be needed?
I assumed that one merino tee, fleece and wind breaker would be sufficient...

When walking in Sept and October I have always been blessed with warm temperatures, evern hot days. I think a light fleece will be plenty. This is the one I use (when I don't lose it on my last day on the Camino like I did this year that is ;0): http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/53635?feat=610-GN1&page=women-s-fitness-fleece-jacket. It's what they call a "fitness" fleece, so light and good for when excercising.

You may want a short and a long sleeve T, this fleece and a windbreaker/rain parka. And the long sleeve is not just for cooler days, but for the really hot ones when you want to protect your skin.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
From the responses here I do get a bit worried: I will also be on CF in September and in Finisterre in October: is it really so chilly/cold in September that all these layers will be needed?
Mike was asking about the weight of fleece, and we've suggested light since he has a long-sleeve T-shirt as well as the layers you plan. Again - it is more versatile to have 2 light layers than 1 heavy fleece.

Mike was asking about the weight of fleece, and we've suggested light since he has a long-sleeve T-shirt as well as the layers you plan. Again - it is more versatile to have 2 light layers than 1 heavy fleece.

Sure, I know what he was asking.
And I expanded the question somewhat, and asked if it really was so cold in September as the responses implied. Threadcapping not intended, just inquiring about the details behind the responses.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've done two Sep/Oct Camino's and a lightweight fleece was fine when used over either a shirt, or a base layer plus a shirt.
The next layer used was a Altus poncho whether the requirement was due to rain, wind, or cold temperature.
Regds
Gerard

Thanks, if that is the standard outfit for Galicia in September it sure sound like it can be freezing cold.
I will probably change plans for my Camino.

I wouldn't say freezing. I live in a sub tropical climate so I feel the cold. I would have used 4 layers twice. It was well into October when I was in Galicia.
Best to be prepared.
Regds
Gerard

Thanks, if that is the standard outfit for Galicia in September it sure sound like it can be freezing cold.
I will probably change plans for my Camino.
September-October is most likely to be fine warm weather most of the time. September could be hot. However, if you hit a chilly period while going over one of the higher elevations in late October, you could happily wear 4 light layers or more. I found myself wearing 5 layers (all my clothes) in central Europe for a few days last month in late May. I would not call it a standard outfit, but weather isn't standardized! If I had taken a heavier fleece, perhaps I would not have used so many layers. This is not a journey-changing decision!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Yes, though the weather is very changeable depending on where you are on the route - but I think what you have listed would be sufficient.
You're more likely to get cold in the albergues than while walking, imo.

I have most of my equipment but am confused on what weight fleece for an outer layer of warmth. This will be for the Camino Francés from September 7th-October 16th this year. I was thinking of the North Face Canyonwall but it is listed as a heavy weight and weighs 20oz (567grams) This will be layered over a lightweight merino short sleeve t-shirt and midweight long sleeve t-shirt which both seem pretty light to me. I also have a lightweight windproof outer layer.

Mike

Fleece is explained here:
http://www.blacks.co.uk/blog/2013/09/fleece-buying-guide

Layering is explained here:
http://espritslibres.mec.ca/AST/Con...essingForTheOutdoors/LayeringYourClothing.jsp

I find that I generate a lot of heat when I walk, particularly if I am wearing a pack. Usually a shirt is enough ... a light jacket (100 weight) might be on for a while if there is a morning chill. If you are wearing a merino t shirt under a heavy long sleeve t shirt you likely won't want a jacket over that.

I walked late October to early December 2012. There was often frost in the morning starting around mid November. I carried a 100 weight jacket and a 300 weight jacket. I also carried gloves and a scarf. The scarf was draped over the shoulders and upper chest under the 100 weight jacket on those frosty mornings. I never wore the 300 weight jacket while walking ... though it went over the 100 weight jacket in the evenings.

Thanks to everyone for the help and the clarifying questions too! I think you all saved a little weight in my pack!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Mike
I used a Patagonia r3. It was super light but plenty warm especially over layered capillene or merino. In fact, all of my Patagonia gear did so well, I'm still wearing it 1 1/2 years later and planning to take it back to the Camino in September.

I've done two Sep/Oct Camino's and a lightweight fleece was fine when used over either a shirt, or a base layer plus a shirt.
The next layer used was a Altus poncho whether the requirement was due to rain, wind, or cold temperature.
I have a similar pattern, although I use a rain jacket rather than a poncho. My camino walks have been in Mar/Apr/May, so I don't have experience of the specific time of year. The most I have used in Spain is four layers, which included a light weight fleece (~200gm) rather than a heavier fleece.

We started the CF Sept 12th and finished in Santiago on the 18th of October with an extra week added on for Finisterre and Muxia. A lightweight fleece was more than enough with a long sleeve baselayer under if needed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used a Patagonia r3. It was super light but plenty warm especially over layered capillene or merino. In fact, all of my Patagonia gear did so well, I'm still wearing it 1 1/2 years later and planning to take it back to the Camino in September.

I have a similar pattern, although I use a rain jacket rather than a poncho. My camino walks have been in Mar/Apr/May, so I don't have experience of the specific time of year. The most I have used in Spain is four layers, which included a light weight fleece (~200gm) rather than a heavier fleece.

We started the CF Sept 12th and finished in Santiago on the 18th of October with an extra week added on for Finisterre and Muxia. A lightweight fleece was more than enough with a long sleeve baselayer under if needed.

Thank you so much. This really helps.

Mike

For people who are worried, so far so good on the VdlP. (Could be famous last words :D)
There are altogether a small dozen of us, now in or around Mombuey, staying in various albergues or hostals... No- one has come across them... yet :)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.