• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which part/s would you skip if you only had 26 days and would walk the average amt per day

laurence

Time of past OR future Camino
walking in April 2016 for first time
Hi. All
5 weeks to go and I am really getting excited.Every day I ask myself why am I doing this?. The first thought that pops into my head is "freedom". I am going with my 2 sons 31 and 28.....I feel that this is the grand prize of parenting!!! That is exciting enough on its own.So why???
I will not chase time( I am a doctor and content in my profession) . I will be free of the electronic addictions "( I promised myself not to look at emails and am not taking an iPad).i have promised myself to call home every morning and then switch off the phone...so why???
I am not doing a race, I have no great desire to complete the journey to get a prize,I do not need to find myself (I am happy in my boring life)...so why?
I guess that this will be answered on the journey,never the less, I remain excited and resolute!!!
Getting back to the original thread, which part of SJPP to Santiago should we motor through instead of walking or should we just stop at end of the allotted time and complete the balance, at another time?
I have enjoyed the blogs and feel that many of the regular contributors are "comrades in arms" thank you for keeping the anticipation alive

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome Laurence, my advice would be to start in Logrono and walk to Santiago, when you then get the Camino bug you can return at a later time and walk from St. Jean. Remember your Camino is from where you decide to start and that does not necessary have to be St Jean.
Whatever you decide Have a Buen Camino.

Hi. All
5 weeks to go and I am really getting excited.Every day I ask myself why am I doing this?. The first thought that pops into my head is "freedom". I am going with my 2 sons 31 and 28.....I feel that this is the grand prize of parenting!!! That is exciting enough on its own.So why???
I will not chase time( I am a doctor and content in my profession) . I will be free of the electronic addictions "( I promised myself not to look at emails and am not taking an iPad).i have promised myself to call home every morning and then switch off the phone...so why???
I am not doing a race, I have no great desire to complete the journey to get a prize,I do not need to find myself (I am happy in my boring life)...so why?
I guess that this will be answered on the journey,never the less, I remain excited and resolute!!!
Getting back to the original thread, which part of SJPP to Santiago should we motor through instead of walking or should we just stop at end of the allotted time and complete the balance, at another time?
I have enjoyed the blogs and feel that many of the regular contributors are "comrades in arms" thank you for keeping the anticipation alive
Each part of the Camino is beautiful for many different reasons. Personally I wouldn't skip the trek over the Pyrenees because of both the beauty and the challenge. If I had to make the tough decision I think it would be the Meseta -- probably the mentally toughest part of the walk for me. By the way, the minute you start to walk you will know exactly why you are doing it! Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You might want to take a look at the itinerary on my website.
It begins in SJPP and ends in Santiago, hitting Burgos, Leon, and Astorga, but skipping the Meseta.
I'm not suggesting you go with me, my trip is full, just that you look at the itinerary.
It works quite well and the bus trips between the larger cities are easy peasy and inexpensive.

I like the bike renting idea :) not sure if this is for everyone though, but it can shorten the flat meseta days.

I would think about not starting in Sjpp, but Pamplona or a day or 2 past pamplona. Maybe Estella or Los Arcos.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You're going to have a difficult time getting a straight answer on that question in this forum. :D
A lot of people are going to say don't skip any of it, or do some and come back, etc etc etc...........
My best advice is to start in SJPdP and wing it. Start walking, then as you go decide where you want to jump ahead. Easy enough to with a guidebook and map and the larger cities have bus stations and there is always taxi service too. You will know as you go.
Believe me, you ain't cheating yourself out by doing 26 days on the Camino starting in SJPdP and ending up in Santiago with a few bits of leapfrogging in the middle.
Cheers

Are these the only options you are willing to consider? Two others that immediately come to mind are to increase your average daily walking distance and to start at some point where you can reach SDC at your average pace. You don't say what average daily distance you are thinking about, but as an example, at 20 km/day then Burgos would be a good starting point. At 25 km/day, walking from Logrono would be achievable in the time you are prepared to allocate to this.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
None, really, if you are a healthy individual and don't do the tourist thing 26 days with two days off no problem.

Zzotte

None, really, if you are a healthy individual and don't do the tourist thing 26 days with two days off no problem.
An interesting perspective. I think I am reasonably healthy, and would not want to be attempting the 33+ km/day to walk from SJPP to SDC in 24 days. I suspect that this is a suitable target for only a small proportion of people.

An interesting perspective. I think I am reasonably healthy, and would not want to be attempting the 33+ km/day to walk from SJPP to SDC in 24 days. I suspect that this is a suitable target for only a small proportion of people.
Yeah, ditto.
Besides, if it's one's first Camino what's wrong with doing the "tourist thing" here and then as you go? You know what they say, all work and no play make Jack (or Jill ;)) just plain boring.....:D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Laurence, start in Logroño, and let your sons start in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.
They will catch up with you probably somewhere before Leon.
At that point you can try to keep their pace.
Or... just shout loudly, "Wait for me in Santiago!"
They may also visit Finisterra before you arrive at Santiago ;)
Two brothers usually tend to be very competitive, especially if you are a family from the US!
And I am sure they would love to cover the entire length of the Way.
I sense some fatherly pride in his sons wanting to do this with him, and perhaps an expectation that they will get more from this walking together as a family for much of their pilgrimage. There are ways of achieving this without walking completely separately.

My wife and I walked the Milford Track with my grand-daughter a couple of years ago, and she would walk with us for a couple of hours then head off independently to the next hut. We would arrive to find that bottom bunks had been conveniently 'reserved' and other little preparations made for our arrival. Although I am not sure that I would necessarily trust my son to have the first cerveza ready without being tempted to test its quality himself while waiting for me:rolleyes:.

Ya doug, in restrospective I will not do it again it's not much fun really, and I don't recall much at all, or maybe it's because I'm old? :)

Zzotte

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will only cross the Meseta from Burgos to Leon once in my life...however I wish I had spent at least one night in both Burgos and Leon but I lost two days travel time because of flooding...but I highly recommend finishing in Fisterra or Muxia if you have extra time.

I sense some fatherly pride in his sons wanting to do this with him, and perhaps an expectation that they will get more from this walking together as a family for much of their pilgrimage. There are ways of achieving this without walking completely separately.

My wife and I walked the Milford Track with my grand-daughter a couple of years ago, and she would walk with us for a couple of hours then head off independently to the next hut. We would arrive to find that bottom bunks had been conveniently 'reserved' and other little preparations made for our arrival. Although I am not sure that I would necessarily trust my son to have the first cerveza ready without being tempted to test its quality himself while waiting for me:rolleyes:.
Yeah, ditto. I would want to share the whole experience with any family with me on the Camino. The good and the not to so good, but definitely all of it. Especially when it's the first Camino walked. No way would my brother and I not walk with my dad, and the only thing he and I would compete over is who's buying the first cold beer of the afternoon. ;)
cheers

The Pyrenees are great. There is something quite historic about climbing the hills and getting your first view down into Spain. I wouldn't miss that if I was you.

I think the connections with the past are special, the timeless qualities of pilgrimage. For that reason I think the routine of one foot in front of another, days stretching ahead like the endless summer holiday of childhood, it becomes a form of time travel. Your sense of place is not in the goal but in the process. Am I making sense?

I would be tempted to take my time. And come back later if I needed to.

Have a great time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am due to start my Camino on coming 6 March and due to work schedule had to travel part of it by train (4 days walk). After considering various aspects, mainly feedback and comments on this forum, I decided to travel by train from Sahagun to Astorga.

Hi. All

Laurence:

I like continuity in my Camino's and connection to my fellow Pilgrims met along the way.

That said, I will answer your question. I would start in Pamplona and walk from there. I think you will find the Meseta quite easy and have no problem walking longer distances. You could probably make Santiago in the time you have to walk. If you find you are falling behind, I would recommend you take a bus or cab through the big cities (Burgos, Leon). I find them to be the most industrial.

You are very fortunate to be able to do this with your adult sons. I believe this will create a bond you will always share.

Try not to build to many expectations, just go, enjoy the time with your sons and let the Camino be your guide.

Ultreya,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Laurence
Start in St Jean and work your way along. As someone said each part of the journey is unique. The Meseta sounds like the part to skip, cant say as I will be starting from Burgos this September and will take in the Meseta but I would not miss any part of it even if you have to come back another time to finish. Thing is after a few days walking you’ll be ‘hooked’ and will be planning your next Camino so stopping after your 26 days and starting at some other time may be best option. I also started Camino with my 2 sons aged, at the time 36 and 28. It was just a wonderful experience. Myself and my husband were a bit nervous about doing it at all so they came as support for few days and myself and my husband then continued. Buen Camino.

I like continuity in my Camino's and connection to my fellow Pilgrims met along the way.
I'd ditto that. Some of my fondest memories are meeting up in Santiago with all kinds of people that we walked with a day or two, or even a week or two, and then we got separated by a half day or so and didn't meet up again until those couple days hanging out in Santiago.

This is one of the difficulties of Camino Planning. For me it was a lot different - I rode my bike from Pamplona. But I would like to go back and walk the sections I missed. So my recommendation - start in St Jean and walk to Belorado, then take the bus the Burgos (this will save two days and allow a rest/tourist day in Burgos). As has been reported the Mesta is something not to be missed (provided you are not trying to walking July or August). There is some amazing scenery in this part of Spain. From Leon you can take another bus to Astorga (if you have had a rest day in Leon - recommended - you should be able to finish in less than 10 days). Hope this helps!

PS - as your camino fitness improves you will find that you can walk further in one day than Brierley suggests.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So, just as you probably expected, you've got votes for starting in SJPP and stopping wherever you get to in the allotted time (transportation back to Madrid or wherever you are going to get your plane is likely to be easy to arrange from many spots on the Camino Frances). You've also got votes for skipping a few days in the middle, giving you both the ability to start in SJPP and to experience the walk into Santiago at the end. And you've got votes for starting at a point that will allow you to walk without interruption into Santiago.

All three have minuses IMO. The first deprives you of that awesome moment when you walk into Santiago for the first time and start to take stock of what the last weeks have meant. The second puts you in a vehicle right in the middle of your walk, cutting ties with the people you've met, and plunking you down in a new place to start walking. The third means you will miss Navarra probably and all its beauty, plus the walk from SJPP if you were going to start there.

But for me, and this may not be the same calculation you make, I would probably choose the third option -- pick a spot where it is reasonably likely that you will walk uninterrupted into Santiago. Doug suggests Logrono. The continuity, the flow, plus the ability to walk into Santiago adds up to two big pluses, and each of the other two options only has one of those pluses. If that makes any sense.

But as is so frequently the case with these decisions, there is just no bad choice here! Buen camino, Laurie

When you reach Santiago you will be asked WHY you walked the Camino.

What you choose to walk will answer that question.

Are you (sigh!) engaged in an extreme sports event? Go pedal to the metal! Are you just sightseeing? That's fine, but skip the meseta, and enjoy the wine. Are you on an interior quest of some kind, or doing penance for your sins? Then do NOT skip the meseta! Give thanks to God for his mercy at every crucero. And consider carrying on to Muxia, if time permits.....

Pax.

I wouldn't skip any whole section. Some of our Camino family needed to cut a few days, so they bused in/out of the larger cities. This is normally through industrial areas.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi. All
Hi Laurence, I would say start in SJPdP and walk as far as you can. Come back to the Camino some day and start where you stop this year.
Wish you all well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Ah! Laurence, you ask a difficult question indeed.

You will no doubt be offered much advice from many lovely people who want to help you.

My offering is simple. Have you considered going with no plan apart from knowing when you go home and simply, with your sons, making decisions at the end of each day?

I love the idea of you three sharing this with each other.

Buen (family-bonding) Camino

Regarding skipping the meseta : the guide books had led me to believe that this section of the Camino would be boring - how wrong! It was the part of the way where I started to feel 'bedded down' and to 'get it', as other members of the forum have termed the experience. It is a testing stretch but with birdsong accompanying you every step of the way, endless horizons and the wonderful San Bol albergue. If you have to skip sections, take the bus into Burgos avoiding the industrial estates, likewise the leaving of Leon. I agree with Peregrina2000 that arriving in Santiago de Compostela is awesome and not to be missed. Whatever your reasons for walking, that sense of achievement on arriving in front of the cathedral will stay with you all your life. On the other hand, just do what feels right for you all and Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Otoh you could start in Lisbon, continue to Fisterra.

Don't skip the Meseta, it's beautiful, challenging and a very special area. Personally, everything from Pamplona to the start of Galicia is not to be missed. Galicia is my least favourite part. I would say start in St Jean or Pamplona and walk to Astorga, and then do the last section another time.

Oh yes - and I also find the industrial and suburban areas of the cities fascinating, those parts are just as much the Camino. They offer wonderful insights into the lives of ordinary Spaniards whose whole lives are spent living on sections of the Camino, but whose life circumstances mean that they will probably never experience what we do. These areas are moments for reality checks, to remember that it is a wonderful gift to experience the Camino - which in reality so few people will ever have. To find beauty not just in the countryside and history and fellow pilgrims, but to notice the beauty in the ordinariness of human life, work, suffering and toil - that so often is unnoticed. I will never forget the walk out of Bilbao on the northern Camino along the river, even though so many people said skip it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Many people say to skip the Meseta but I think this area has its own beauty and is well worth seeing IMO.
I walked the Mesata once . . . all I saw for nearly five days was raindrops on my glasses and thick mud on my boots and have no qualms about missing it out ever since.
Others say it's a hoot and a half - chacun a son gout I suppose.

My pre Camino situation was pretty much like yours. I was (and am) happy with my great (but pretty boring ha ha ) life. And I was also one of those lucky parents who's 20 year old son was happy to join me on the Camino. :)
The freedom feel was tremendous for me on the Camino. Freedom from phone, TV, Computers (aside from a brief daily evening update to family ), work, daily routine etc. LOVED it !

Now we only had 23 walking days . We decided to start in Pamplona and walked to Burgos, then took a rest day and forwarded by train to Leon and walked to Santiago. In hindsight we were happy with that choice there we got plenty variety in scenery and it seemed perfect for the amount of days we had. (we walked 20 to 28 KM a day)
We "cheated" twice to gain some time. Once we took the bus from Leon to the first town passed the industrial area in Leon, and the other time we took a taxi and forwarded 8 km out of Pontferrada to get passed an early morning thunder/rain storm. We didn't feel too bad about both.

If you (like many of us) get hooked, you will get to do it again :) I'm going back in June (alone this time) for a "2 week Camino fix" and will walk from SJPP to Burgos. Hopefully the year after I will finally walk the entire Camino :)

Have a GREAT time with your sons.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the Mesata once . . . all I saw for nearly five days was raindrops on my glasses and thick mud on my boots and have no qualms about missing it out ever since.
Others say it's a hoot and a half - chacun a son gout I suppose.
We saw rain, mud, sunshine with bitter cold and nice days on the Meseta but it was all part of the experience, just like life you have to take it as it comes and be thankful you can. I would do it again and maybe experience a moonlight walk like many members here have, sounds magic.

I agree with peregrina2000 best to start down the road then skipping, on my second camino do to severe weather and some blisters combined with a high dose of frustration I skipped two places not consecutive but never the less, it tug on my heart the entire camino until I got to Santiago, so got on the train back to the first skipped place and walked over again to the second skipped town, got on a train back to Santiago and home never felt so good.

zzotte

Hi. All

Hi Laurence, I am also walking with my two daughters starting in SJPD on april 17, same day of my oldest daughter 30th birthday. I have the same concern as you do, we only have 4 weeks to complete the walk to SDC, and my strugle is what part of the camino shoud i miss? I would like to travel at the speed of human being and while at the same time be able to do finished the entire camino. I guess i will just start walking and let it be. It will happen what needs to happen. No expectation.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi. All

Train from Fromista to Leon.
You have walked the best part of the meseta

As the variety of responses shows, there is no right answer to this. But I'll share my experience with only having 28 days (that "only" being a great gift and luxury). In the end I realized that knowing I couldn't walk the entire CF gave me a tremendous freedom I wouldn't have had if I had scheduled the exact number of days to walk to Santiago. My niece, who had walked the Camino as an 18-year-old, advised that I not have a plan and just see how it went. It was excellent advice.

I started in Pamplona and just walked. I took an extra day here and there and spent two days off the way at a monastery. When I got a cold that turned into a minor sinus infection, I took a day of rest. I ended up feeling this flexibility was ideal for me, and you may need it with the three of you walking.

My Camino ended up being Pamplona to Carrion de Los Condes at the middle of the meseta. Then I bused to Leon, spent a night, and took the train to Santiago, then walked the four days to Finisterre. I wouldn't trade any of it. But I will say I know now that I'll return to the CF, and that I'll pick up where I left off. So it would have also been great to just keep walking until I ran out of time. Personally I loved the Meseta, though I was only on it for three days. (On the other hand, I loved walk in to the sea and it was a quieter and striking part of my journey.)

You'll have a beautiful trip no matter what. Buen Camino!

You might want to take a look at the itinerary on my website.
It begins in SJPP and ends in Santiago, hitting Burgos, Leon, and Astorga, but skipping the Meseta.
I'm not suggesting you go with me, my trip is full, just that you look at the itinerary.
It works quite well and the bus trips between the larger cities are easy peasy and inexpensive.
Hey Annie, what are the last 200KM you HAVE to walk to get the Compastella? just curious in case I start dropping!! From Where to Santiago?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey Annie, what are the last 200KM you HAVE to walk to get the Compastella? just curious in case I start dropping!! From Where to Santiago?
It's a minimum of 1oo km for a compostela and Sarria is the most popular point to do that from. Sarria to Santiago is basically the last 100 km. It's a cool town, too. Love that bar/pensiones at the top of the stairs. Good chow and cold beer. ;)
And easy to get the old two stamps a day from there. Lots of churches, cafes, bars, etc to get them from.
cheers

If you are walking, to be eligible for the compostela you need to walk 100 km to Santiago (not 200 km - that is for travelling by horseback or bike). On the Camino France, that means starting around Sarria. Clearly on other routes you will need to start at places that are generally in an arc around Santiago at the same distance.

@gypsywind if you are walking to get the Compostela you have to walk the last 100km into Santiago de Compostela - which means from Sarria to Santiago. In those last 100km make sure you get two different stamps every day on your credentiale, as proof for the Pilgrims Office. The stamps can come from anywhere - albergues or other lodging, bars, churches - you will find they all have a stamp.

If you are on a bicycle it is the last two hundred kilometres into Santiago.

€46,-
@gypsywind if you are walking to get the Compostela you have to walk the last 100km into Santiago de Compostela - which means from Sarria to Santiago. In those last 100km make sure you get two different stamps every day on your credentiale, as proof for the Pilgrims Office. The stamps can come from anywhere - albergues or other lodging, bars, churches - you will find they all have a stamp.

If you are on a bicycle it is the last two hundred kilometres into Santiago.
Thank you so much. I feel terrible even asking that. I am starting in SJPP, but getting the Compostela is very important to me, as is my original goal, but, as the date approaches for this chubby old broad, I guess I am getting" cold feet" no pun intended !!! I will march on from SJPP and do my best !!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back