• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which part to skip?

Jacek Garstka

Time of past OR future Camino
10 - 17 May "2017"
I will walk with my wife from Porto in May, however we will have only seven days, what may not be enough for us to reach Santiago. W can do on average 25 km per day, so I think it is good to plan to skip a part of the walk, to reduce the distance to 150-170 km - could you please suggest skipping which part of the route is least lose :) . W are attracted by the coastal way - would anybody advice if this is good idea?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked this route in 2015, at from Porto to Vila do Conde then inland to Barcelos.

If you have to skip a section then Tui to Redondela could be one, that saves 30km and the first part of that was pretty horrid as far as I was concerned (esp. Tui to Porrino).
Just my 2 cents.

Duncan

Edit: If you skip much after Tui your Compostela may technically in jeapardy. I'm not sure if you have to walk the lasy 100km or whether it is 100km in total. You may not be bothered about the paper work, I wasn't after the first one.

Last edited:
For me, O Porriño isn't tops. You could start out from Matosinhos rather than Porto, staying there the night, and get an early head start the next morning, missing the Porto industrial suburbs. I only walked the coastal as far as Vila do Conde, and went inland from there. Part of my reason was that as gorgeous as the ocean is, several days of that could get repetitive, and I'm glad I made that call - inland (Central) was just wonderful!
You can also do some mini-jumps. I and a fellow hiker caught a taxi on the outskirts of O Porriño and jumped ahead about 8 km. Another day, I was going to stay in a town in mid-stage that both the tourist office and google assured me had lodging, but it didn't - not sold out; non-existent. So I caught a ride to the town that is a typical stage town. Another idea is catching a cab through Redondela, where nothing I read about the albergues was appealing, to Cesantes, where there's a wonderful albergue.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back