• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

which path is more beautiful

sunshines

Time of past OR future Camino
camino de portuguese (2018)
camino Frances (portion) (2019)
camino primitivo/Frances (2019)
I had to change my path from Plata to Frances/Primitivo as I cant carry weight on my back (ankle problem) so I have looked at two (not the whole shibang) and they both look great in distinct ways

either Oveido to Beradaco (very steep at the end) or Fromista to Leon. cant decide which one better

March 21-31 next year. Oveido very vast open landscapes not sure if many people do it so it would be quite a lonely treck across vast open landscapes. Fromista some great places in between probably more people - both equal hassle in finding places to stay (not into bunking with a million people and all the problems that brings)

I could do either but I am being pulled in both directions.... anyone done both? ( I am not a strong or fast walker but I get to where I am going)

ps if anyone coming to Tenerife take a look at some of my photos of hikes here I do every week or just take a look to see what beauty there is here ( mostly uphill or downhill )

https://www.meetup.com/relaxedsenderismowalkingTenerife/photos/

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've walked the Primitivo from Oviedo in mid May and didn't really think of the surrounding beauty as 'vast open landscapes'. If going in mid March I'd think there would be few walkers, and possibly some snow. At that time of year it seems Fromista to Leon might be the better choice as there would be a few more walkers and hopefully no snow.

I've walked the Primitivo from Oviedo in mid May and didn't really think of the surrounding beauty as 'vast open landscapes'. If going in mid March I'd think there would be few walkers, and possibly some snow. At that time of year it seems Fromista to Leon might be the better choice as there would be a few more walkers and hopefully no snow.
sound advice well taken I will do that and maybe primitivo at the end of September.... so much choice I should have started 30 years ago.......

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had to change my path from Plata to Frances/Primitivo as I cant carry weight on my back (ankle problem) so I have looked at two (not the whole shibang) and they both look great in distinct ways

either Oveido to Beradaco (very steep at the end) or Fromista to Leon. cant decide which one better

March 21-31 next year. Oveido very vast open landscapes not sure if many people do it so it would be quite a lonely treck across vast open landscapes. Fromista some great places in between probably more people - both equal hassle in finding places to stay (not into bunking with a million people and all the problems that brings)

I could do either but I am being pulled in both directions.... anyone done both? ( I am not a strong or fast walker but I get to where I am going)

ps if anyone coming to Tenerife take a look at some of my photos of hikes here I do every week or just take a look to see what beauty there is here ( mostly uphill or downhill )

https://www.meetup.com/relaxedsenderismowalkingTenerife/photos/
Ahem, @sunshines ,

First of all I can't find any village/town in Spain named Beradaco and it's not Oveido but Oviedo.

Secondly I think you are overthinking this for the period you are planning to go.

Thirdly. There are no "very vast open landscapes" after Oviedo (on Primitivo) if you mean landscapes like Meseta, gently rolling hills of wheat. From Oviedo on Primitivo it's hills! But from Fromista you would definitely get some of that "very vast open landscapes".

Fourth. Not a problem with accommodation (especially private) on either route within your desired time frame. Also you won't have hundreds of co-walker at that time. Actually for end of March I would suggest you choose Frances. There could still be a lot of snow on Primitivo then.

Anyway Buen Camino!

thanks peeps - well I got the idea of vast open landscapes from people's pictures on wikiloc and it seemed more vast than the Fromista path. I am topsy turvy and do things backwards but the reason for end of March is timing I cant fit it in at a better time and I did a long term weather check for all the areas and an average temperature between 12 and 17 is fine for me ( I get extremely hot when walking even if I walk slow) I was sweating in Segovia in 4 degrees so imagine) snow eek I dont mind but trudging through it would be a bit of a problem. I might do the primitivo in late September next year and its a toss up between that and Log.. to Burgos or Burgos to....Leon.... or maybe starting in France or .... who knows it seems great ( even along the canal de deux mers looks great but alas no forwarding service there......

so within my limits I really do have quite a lot of choice :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ahem, @sunshines ,

First of all I can't find any village/town in Spain named Beradaco and it's not Oveido but Oviedo.

Secondly I think you are overthinking this for the period you are planning to go.

Thirdly. There are no "very vast open landscapes" after Oviedo (on Primitivo) if you mean landscapes like Meseta, gently rolling hills of wheat. From Oviedo on Primitivo it's hills! But from Fromista you would definitely get some of that "very vast open landscapes".

Fourth. Not a problem with accommodation (especially private) on either route within your desired time frame. Also you won't have hundreds of co-walker at that time. Actually for end of March I would suggest you choose Frances. There could still be a lot of snow on Primitivo then.

Anyway Buen Camino!
yes its Berducedo :) I get the i before e mixed up all the time not only in Spanish ha ha

thanks peeps - well I got the idea of vast open landscapes from people's pictures on wikiloc and it seemed more vast than the Fromista path. I am topsy turvy and do things backwards but the reason for end of March is timing I cant fit it in at a better time and I did a long term weather check for all the areas and an average temperature between 12 and 17 is fine for me ( I get extremely hot when walking even if I walk slow) I was sweating in Segovia in 4 degrees so imagine) snow eek I dont mind but trudging through it would be a bit of a problem. I might do the primitivo in late September next year and its a toss up between that and Log.. to Burgos or Burgos to....Leon.... or maybe starting in France or .... who knows it seems great ( even along the canal de deux mers looks great but alas no forwarding service there......
Navarette to Logrono or Logrono to Burgos or or or......

Hi sunshine,

considering your time schedule and what you thought to be fascinating on the Via de la Plata, I would strongly recommend the Meseta section of the Camino Frances, i. e. between Burgos and Leon. There are planning-tools which can help you to plan your stages:

Planning-tool

Oviedo to Berducedo on the Primitivo is much climbing, only after A Fonsagrada there are less hills. Also in March the paths may be very muddy.

As you seem to have walking experience from Tenerife - so do I - the Camino Primitivo between Oviedo and A Fonsagrada reminded me of mountain walks in Tenerife, but 2 or 3 of those tours you mentioned walked one after another on the same day. So I do not think, that this is the appropriate choice if you have a weak ankle, even if you can have your backpack carried.

BC
Alexandra

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.