• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which pilgrim passport/credencial has the nicest design?

Sam Hardman

Time of past OR future Camino
2006, 2007 Camino Francés
2017 SJPdP - Belorado
2018 SJPdP - Fisterra/Muxía
2019 Camino Primitivo
People often talk about which of their stamps they like the most, but there are also many different designs of credencial. Last year I used the French credencial from the pilgrim's office in SJPdP and in 2017 I used the credencial provided by the cathedral in Santiago. I like both of these but also met people from all over the world with really beautifully designed credencials which made me a bit jealous! In particular the I really liked the Slovenian and British designs. Clearly a lot of thought has gone into them.

This year I am walking the Camino Primitivo and have already ordered a British designed credencial to add to my collection.

So, which credencial do you like the best?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had the one from CSJ in the UK last year. I think they've updated it and now looks much nicer. Mine was fine for functionality. Clear maps and lots of space. I liked the SJPDP ones better. I think I'm going to be getting mine straight from that Pilgrim's Office in September this year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The nicest one I ever saw was years ago from the CSJ in England - one had to be a member which was/is(?) very expensive and it was big really big something like one would expect for a classical Grand Tour.

I love the New Zealand one with the silver fern. And second to that, the Irish one. I've wondered whether it's OK to use one from a country that isn't your own.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I love the New Zealand one with the silver fern. And second to that, the Irish one. I've wondered whether it's OK to use one from a country that isn't your own.
Well, I have used the credencial provided at the pilgrim office at SJJPP or one of the Spanish variants. Never been a problem!!

I didn't know there was a New Zealand credential. Where do you get one from?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
People often talk about which of their stamps they like the most, but there are also many different designs of credencial. Last year I used the French credencial from the pilgrim's office in SJPdP and in 2017 I used the credencial provided by the cathedral in Santiago. I like both of these but also met people from all over the world with really beautifully designed credencials which made me a bit jealous! In particular the I really liked the Slovenian and British designs. Clearly a lot of thought has gone into them.

This year I am walking the Camino Primitivo and have already ordered a British designed credencial to add to my collection.

So, which credencial do you like the best?
Hands down no argument win for the Irish credencial. Even hospitaleros commented on it being the nicest. Have a look at it on the Irish Society web page https://www.caminosociety.com/. Just had a look myself and it appears they have changed the design. Its even better now

Hands down no argument win for the Irish credencial. Even hospitaleros commented on it being the nicest. Have a look at it on the Irish Society web page https://www.caminosociety.com/. Just had a look myself and it appears they have changed the design. Its even better now
I really like the look of the Irish one. I never saw one in real life though, even though I met a few Irish people on the Camino last year.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The nicest one I ever saw was years ago from the CSJ in England - one had to be a member which was/is(?) very expensive and it was big really big something like one would expect for a classical Grand Tour.

It is quite expensive (30 pounds a year) but I was lucky and was given membership as a gift last Christmas so I will get a credencial from them this year. I think I will renew my membership despite the cost as the albergue at Gaucelmo was one of my favourites and the organisation does really good work. They are also strugling for money at the moment (deficits for the post couple of years) and need support to survive.

I would think you could use it if you could get one. Loads of people use the French one and Spanish ones after all. I amagine it would be quite hard to get a New Zealand one outside of the country though.

As far as I know, the booklet from the Irish Camino Society remains the same. What is new is that they now also provide a fold-out credencial. It is a lovely credencial.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As far as I know, the booklet from the Irish Camino Society remains the same. What is new is that they now also provide a fold-out credencial. It is a lovely credencial.
The first time I saw the fold out it had the same design as the booklet. The new design is great. Still the best looking by far of any credencial :)

I would think you could use it if you could get one. Loads of people use the French one and Spanish ones after all. I amagine it would be quite hard to get a New Zealand one outside of the country though.
That's true, I have a Spanish one tucked away ready for next year, which I got when I bought a couple of books from Ivan. I didn't want to upset people by using one that I wasn't entitled to, although I did live in New Zealand for several years.

I was a member of CSJ for a few years and got many comments on my bright yellow credencial i now use the compact white one from oz. From memory the Spanish one seemed very dull and unimaginative

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is quite expensive (30 pounds a year)

You can just get the credencial for £5 as a non-member. I just wanted to be prepared which is why I got mine in advance. Unless I was starting somewhere weird and not SJPDP I might have picked one up this time.

The first time I saw the fold out it had the same design as the booklet. The new design is great. Still the best looking by far of any credencial :)
I met some Irish pilgrims last year and they didn't like the fact it was a book. I didn't think it was anything outstanding just okay but if it's the same design in a layout form then I will say it's an improvement.

It is quite expensive (30 pounds a year) but I was lucky and was given membership as a gift last Christmas so I will get a credencial from them this year. I think I will renew my membership despite the cost as the albergue at Gaucelmo was one of my favourites and the organisation does really good work. They are also strugling for money at the moment (deficits for the post couple of years) and need support to survive.
You can always sponsor (or co-sponsor) a week at Gaucelmo. When I worked there the senior Hospitalero wrote to that week's sponsor and told them what was going on (refugio/village) how many Pilgrims had boarded there etc. Don't know how much it costs now but if you're feeling magnanimous . . .

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You can always sponsor (or co-sponsor) a week at Gaucelmo. When I worked there the senior Hospitalero wrote to that week's sponsor and told them what was going on (refugio/village) how many Pilgrims had boarded there etc. Don't know how much it costs now but if you're feeling magnanimous . . .
That‘s interesting. Sponsoring the albergue is something I never would have thought of but would consider if I could afford it. I really think the albergue in Rabanal is a special place on the camino. I am hoping to volunteer there too, maybe next year.

The Slovak one is pretty.

After walking with the APOC credential and the one that Ivar sends, last year I walked with the Irish one to honor my triple diaspora roots. I considered the Canadian to honor my Canadian roadie husband (he has a bad back and can't walk, but has been my roadie for three Caminos now and has his own amazing adventures along the way), but it's Comic Sans, and I just can't do that. Sincerely praying for a re-design, maybe before my 2020 walk?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I met some Irish pilgrims last year and they didn't like the fact it was a book. I didn't think it was anything outstanding just okay but if it's the same design in a layout form then I will say it's an improvement.
Have to say, they are the odd ones out. Also, note that I was referring also to the fanfold credencial, yes, we have both and the new design on the fanfold is great

My first camino I used a German one and a French one. The one I ordered from American Pilgrims got lost on the way over. ( I had intended to use that one and a French one from the office in SJPdP) No problems with either.
A piece of notebook paper

Depending on who is at the Pilgrims Office that could be an issue if you want a Compostela.

Wow, I thought many of the same things. I only did the last 100 of the Frances this year. I too noticed all the variety. I actually (with lots of effort) filled two whole credenciales. I actually like the unique design of the credencial issued by the Confraternity based in Madrid. They will also give you your first stamp. It has a sketch of the church (Santiago y San Juan Bautista, Madrid) on the rear. I do like the unique lettering at the top. My second credencial was the typical one offered by the Cathedral (read, the black one). Next time I want to use the UK Society of Saint James credencial or the one offered (with typed name) issued by American Pilgrims on the Camino.

Attachments

• gggg.jpg
    gggg.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 17
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Don’t forget the lovely credential designed by the Via Lusitana as the official Portuguese credential.

As you will see if you read the thread, the cathedral in Lisbon, but NOT the cathedral in Porto, was selling them in spring 2019. I wonder if anyone can tell us whether the Porto cathedral has changed its mind and has decided to sell the Portuguese credential. Seems like a no-brainer to me!

Don’t forget the lovely credential designed by the Via Lusitana as the official Portuguese credential.

As you will see if you read the thread, the cathedral in Lisbon, but NOT the cathedral in Porto, was selling them in spring 2019. I wonder if anyone can tell us whether the Porto cathedral has changed its mind and has decided to sell the Portuguese credential. Seems like a no-brainer to me!
I hope that they have these in Porto now, I really like that a design. Where in Porto do they sell credenciales?

Someone had a Croatian credencial with the cross of St James on the cover, that looks awesome. I tend to like any that are unique (e.g. not the mainstream ones). Followed by the UK Society of St James passport.

I think the ones you can purchase before your walk are:
UK Saint James Society
American Pilgrims on the Camino
Credencial from Ireland
Here on the Forum shop

I myself should have got one sent to me before departing, it would have saved lots of time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back