• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which poncho (between these 2)....

jgiesbrecht

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Fisterra, Muxia Sept-Oct 2020
So my plan has me starting in SJPdP on March 17, and for Christmas I received 2 different ponchos. If these were your two choices which would you bring:

Adventure World Globetrekker vs FroggToggs
I am leaning towards the globetrekker just because of the season and the possibility of spring rains....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Since you are going in March, which can be pretty wet, I'd go for the Adventure World Globetrekker, since it provides better coverage, even though it's probably heavier than the FroggToggs poncho.

Neither for me.
#1 looks like the zipper does not go all the way down, and you'll sweat like crazy inside. If the zipper DOES go all the way down, then that's my vote. If it does NOT go all the way down, you might be able to cut it and put velcro on the edges because you're going to want something that vents, even in cold weather.

#2 the Frogg Toggs one isn't going to be good enough, in my opinion. It's going to blow all over the place.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Since you are going in March, which can be pretty wet, I'd go for the Adventure World Globetrekker, since it provides better coverage, even though it's probably heavier than the FroggToggs poncho.

I have walked with two pilgrims who used this one and loved it.
Both of them cut off the plastic face shield thing.
TRI Wonder Poncho

Hello fellow pilgrim,

despite the fact that I had only 2 rain days on my CF I would go for the frogg toggs. It's light and durable.
I put my covered pack on top of my poncho, so me and my pack stayed dry.

HTH

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello fellow pilgrim,

despite the fact that I had only 2 rain days on my CF I would go for the frogg toggs. It's light and durable.
I put my covered pack on top of my poncho, so me and my pack stayed dry.

HTH
But you walked in July . . . he's going in March. March in northern Spain = rain+snow+cold ;)

Each of us has our preferences. Why don’t you try them both out on rainy days and see which feels better to you. I I have walked the Camino in March where it rained heavily for 30 days out of 33 everything was soaked, trails streets, etc. On the other hand I walked in March one year where it rained all only two days out the 26.

Last edited:
Hello. I hope to get to SJPP 18th March. I won’t begin walking until 19th. I will be right behind you. God bless and Buen Camino.
Miya x

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So my plan has me starting in SJPdP on March 17, and for Christmas I received 2 different ponchos. If these were your two choices which would you bring:

I am leaning towards the globetrekker just because of the season and the possibility of spring rains....

I've had ponchos similar to the Frogg Togg one and, if you're wearing it over a pack, the back can lift up and you get wetter legs - though you might be wearing waterproof leggings to avoid this. On the plus side if it stops raining and you're feeling warm you can always "kilt" up the front to cool yourself without removing the poncho (I do this with my Altus after a suggestion from a forum member).
Somewhere I have an older version of the AV Globetrekker which has snaps down the side (I know without looking for it as I put on extra) so you can vent that one too - does your one have the chest pocket/carry pouch? Another useful feature was the between the legs strap to prevent flapping.
Try them both over the winter but I'd go for the Globetrekker.

I prefer ponchos with sleeves, otherwise wind tends to open them up and then you get soaked quite quickly. However, with sleeves you tend to sweat more underneath. So, basically, you'll get wet from the outside or the inside!

I have a Frogg Toggs poncho which I pair with a ULA rain kilt. I've tested it in strong wind and rain and it can be very effective. It's lightweight and paired with the kilt the coverage is quite good. Plus the poncho and kilt can be used independently. On my last Camino (del Norte, Oct. '19) I took a chance and brought a decent umbrella. It rained A LOT but I spent all but the worst days just using the umbrella since rain gear is simply uncomfortable and cumbersome. I'll never hike again without my umbrella. Game... Changed..

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This worked for me on Camino Portugues in May this year and weekly hiking, light-weight, durable and within tight budget:

I got the first one you mentioned...I have not used it yet, but seems fine.. Hoping not to use it a lot, but I want to have one just in case.. I am also bringing a one piece bathsuit, I can wear pants over, if I am sweating I will just wear the bathing suit with pants...lol

Frogg Toggs. Lightweight but tough, I've used it for wilderness backpacking and Camino and it is also made of breathable fabric.
I

I bought one of the Frogg Togg Ultralight 2's from Walmart. I am short and it actually covers my backpack quite well. I am trying to come up with something to connect the front and back to keep it from blowing all around if there's wind. Think I might add some velcrow strips on the sides to be able to tighten it up a bit if there is wind. I also bought a lightweight treking umbrella to use, though I originally bought it for hiking in the sun, not rain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would go with the Globotrekker as it has the extra pocket on the back to cover your backpack, a bit similar to the Altus. It won't blow around like that Froggtog one will.
Mine is a Bluefield and works great in pouring rain as well as in wind.

Frogg Toggs. Lightweight but tough, I've used it for wilderness backpacking and Camino and it is also made of breathable fabric.
My son uses the Frogg Togg poncho on his long distance hikes. In high winds he just ties a piece of bungee type cord around his waist and it does not blow around. I use the rainsuit and have been happy, warm and dry in the rain, and the unique lightweight fabric does not make me sweat. That said, I have no experience with other brands.

Last edited:
In March, I would use a gortex jacket and a rainskirt. The jacket is extremely useful after you take your pack off for the day.
I have used Altus light in the past, which I liked a lot, when it is not too hot. These days I use Sea to Summit poncho. It is super light, but really only for summer conditions.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Each of us has our preferences. Why don’t you try them both out on rainy days and see which feels better to you. I I have walked the Camino in March where it rained heavily for 30 days out of 33 everything was soaked, trails streets, etc. On the other hand I walked in March one year where it rained all only two days out the 26.
Since you are getting quite a few different opinions here I was going to suggest the same thing. Make sure that you go on a good long walk on a wet and windy day in each one.

Take an umbrella instead.

well since you can’t decide here is my 2 cents, a good rain coat and an umbrella that’s so you need

Buen Camino
zzotte

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m not a poncho fan after using one on the very rainy CI in early June, I prefer a rain jacket and pants as I used on my CF 2 years ago. If you choose to go poncho, I’d still suggest rain pants, if it’s blowing your legs will be soaked without them. If it’s cold, they’re another layer. Whichever you choose, Buen Camino.

Froggs - live in ‘wet season area of aust. Go to for hiking and running. Accept the rain and you become one with the rain.

Both are cheap. You really need to get a recommendation from someone who has used one over a couple of days. I bought a 22 euro poncho in Astorga, it looked sturdy, after one wear the seams split and I got it caught on something and it ripped. Plus it took up a lot of space. Into the bin and I decided that those 2 euro ponchos would have to do. I didn't want to pay for a Altas. ps I have purchased an Ikea poncho for A$13 but I haven't tested it yet.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
But you walked in July . . . he's going in March. March in northern Spain = rain+snow+cold ;)
I did took this in mind.
In march you can have anything from -5°C, snow and rain, but also up to 25°C and bright sunshine. I have an galician colleague who was raised in Galicia. Before I walked he warned me about the weather capers of galicia even in summer.

I used the Globetrekker and really liked it. I opted for the orange so I’d be seen on roadway! I also brought along rain pants and a rain jacket for added warmth on cooler days more for use after my days of walking.

Frogg Toggs but add in the Frogg Togg pants or see if you can exchange the poncho for the pants suit. FT worked great for me

That's one option.

For myself, a better choice for lower leg protection in terms of air flow and perspiration reduction, is a rain kilt. Much lighter than pants, is far easier and quicker to put on if desired, and is more compact to carry.

A couple of examples:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The only poncho I use is one I get from the cheap Asian shop in town. It is thin plastic and covers everything down to my knees. It cost $2.50 New Zealand, about US$2.00. It is light and takes up almost no room in the pack. Kiwis always walk in shorts unless it is snowing, so it is only my shoes that get wet. If it starts to blow too much, then I just gather the hem in tight around my thighs and all is well. It has never ripped as I watch where I am going. I do take a spare just in case of accidents or if someone else needs one. This one has done three Caminos so far and will be coming with me in June this year.

Not to worry, the Frogg Toggs Ultralite poncho is more than capable of dealing with such weather and keeping the user and their backpack dry. :)
Amen, Dave! So true. My son walked 1000 miles in spring on the Appalachian trail. It was cold and rainy much of the time and his Frogg Toggs kept him dry. I use them too, and although have had decent weather overall on 5 Caminos, I have been in a few unrelenting day long downpours and stayed dry. Frogg Toggs get my vote!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.