• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

which restaurants or eating places would you recommend on the Camino Frances

Alasdair Kay

Time of past OR future Camino
"May 2016 "
So I have a number of places that I will never forget for good in terms of eating on the Camino ... If oyu did it again where would you say whatever you do have a meal here !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There are several earlier forum threads which discuss favorite CF restos and foods. For example see this thread and links.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/foodie-finds-on-the-camino.41070/

In Puente La Reina October 2015 I enjoyed a GREAT menu del dia at the La Conrada restaurant at 17 Paseo de los Fueros, which parallels the camino on the south. For 10 euros seated in the comfy bar the meal included pasta salad, fresh octopus with aioli mayonaise and saute potatoes, lemon sherbet, and a glass of wine. Read more on their web page.

Last edited:
A highlight for me is after arriving in Santiago de Compostela taking new friends over to Mercado de Abastos and walking the open market. Each person buys some seafood then we have it cooked at the market. (They will only cook seafood not fish or meat.) Come back a couple hours later and they have a table set up and you have a private dinner party! Man I can't wait for September/October again!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last edited:
:) Now I will eat my way through Spain, and ofcourse I will have some wine, cerveza and liqueur. I hope there will be no problem for me to have good meals even though I´m lactos intolerant. I like spanish food. :) And after seeing some menues I´ll think I´m going to be fine. Now I will go out in my kitchen to look if I have all the ingrediens for a paella.. and open a bottle of wine.. but first a Guarenta Y Tres (Licor 43). Are you comming? ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would never, under any circumstances, recommend any place to eat anywhere along the Camino Frances. In any case I would not make the recommendation that I would not make anyway in a public forum.

It's hard enough to get a table at the €@%$*&^ as it is without telling the whole planet about it. And anyway its all on Tripe Advertiser, except that, as we all know, the same rule applies - never, ever, under any circumstances...... or, unless you know the owner, you'll never get a table again.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A highlight for me is after arriving in Santiago de Compostela taking new friends over to Mercado de Abastos and walking the open market. Each person buys some seafood then we have it cooked at the market. (They will only cook seafood not fish or meat.) Come back a couple hours later and they have a table set up and you have a private dinner party! Man I can't wait for September/October again!
Wow, I have done 2 CF and never been to the market. I'm going again in Sept. Where is the market?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
SabineP beat me to it. Thanks!

That sounds awesome! Okay May 1sters, that sounds like a plan!

San Bol, it is a unique Albergue. Dinner is extra but it was very special. They only have 12 seats or so, but if you can stay there, enjoy the dinner.
If you like coffee in the morning before walking, bring your packet of Nescafe - there was no coffee offered, but the kitchen is available to all.

This picture is fuzzy but gives you some idea how much we enjoyed the dinner, look at the cleaned plates and the one slow eater among us. Click on the thumbnail to see it bigger.
You can find out more in guidebooks and online.
IMG_20160916_192821809.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
One slow eater, one talker, one thinker, and many listeners!

My understanding is fish is seafood?

In the restaurant business seafood is generally listed on the menu separate from fish and includes crustaceans and shellfish (and maybe cephalopods?) Maybe I should have written "seafood other than fish". I am sorry for the confusion.

If you are needing a fun and noisy meal Ezequiel pulperia in Melide will meet your expectations. Lots of singing, large tables full of 'near the end' pilgrims many of whom are trying their first pulpo and padron peppers. I would not miss this one...
For my gang it broke us from the impending "We are almost there, what will we do with the rest of our lives?" mood that was becoming obvious two days before Santiago.

IMG_20161004_130505752_HDR.jpg

Best camino food orgy is doing the tapas crawl along Calle del Laurel in Logrono. Unfortunately those who stay at the municipal albergue in Logrono and its early closing time miss out on this feast on the senses. I highly recommend finding alternative accommodation while in Logrono (because who can say they really love the albergue there) and stay up a bit late and do as the locals do. Not to be missed!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Our favorite meal was at Casa Barrunta in Saint Nickolas. My husband ordered tripe soup and loved it even after I told him what tripe was. He had a wonderful pot roast dish and I had the stuffed baby squid. For supper the owner served him whiskey cake, which was ice cream with whiskey poured over it.

Our favorite meal was at Casa Barrunta in Saint Nickolas. My husband ordered tripe soup and loved it even after I told him what tripe was. He had a wonderful pot roast dish and I had the stuffed baby squid. For supper the owner served him whiskey cake, which was ice cream with whiskey poured over it.

I certainly agree with you!
San Nicolas del Real Camino is roughly 7 k east of Sahagun on the CF. Casa Barrunta is a very pleasant bar/restaurant at Calle Otero 11, where I, too, have often happily eaten on route to Sahagun.

Their daily menu was always delicious and a great value while tbe staff were VERY pilgrim friendly and will happily stamp your Crendential if you drop in.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I certainly agree with you!
San Nicolas del Real Camino is roughly 7 k east of Sahagun on the CF. Casa Barrunta is a very pleasant bar/restaurant at Calle Otero 11, where I, too, have often happily eaten on route to Sahagun.

Their daily menu was always delicious and a great value while tbe staff were VERY pilgrim friendly and will happily stamp your Crendential if you drop in.

When I stopped there it was too early for lunch but the coffee was very good. And the staff more than friendly.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.