• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which route - CF or CP?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I always advise the Camino Francés for a first camino.

It is the one described in the Codex Calixtinus, the 12th Century Book of St James, and the road followed by hundreds of thousands of pilgrims in the middle ages.

I have really liked lots of the other routes, and have walked quite a few (including the CP, which was OK, but not, imo, one of the best). Some routes are more spectacular (the Norte, the Primitivo, the Le Puy), some have been wonderfully enjoyable (the Via de la Plata, the Madrid), but the CF remains the one that pulls me.
For me it will always be "The Camino".

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree, first time CF and at end walk Porto to Santiago. 2 in 1, make the first last as long as possible if you have the luxury. The only one that calls me is the CF 🤠

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For a young, healthy, in shape, first timer, which route would you suggest - the Camino Frances or the Camino Portugues?

And if you are walking the CF a second time, try walking the route you did not take the first, whichever it was. That's what I did with zero regrets.

I'm expecting your asking on behalf of another as see you've walked CF before? 🤠

Depending on sufficient time: CF (3,5-4,5 weeks walking-time in average)
For 14 days off: CP from Porto.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For a young, healthy, in shape, first timer, which route would you suggest - the Camino Frances or the Camino Portugues?

What time of year are you walking?

Are you looking for your Camino to be social or more solitary?

How long do you have?

The answer to these questions will help in making a recommendation.

Joe

Both caminos are suitable for a first-timer, the main difference is the time required to walk the (whole) camino.

Porto-Santiago is easily doable in 2 weeks (Lisbon-Porto is not suitable for first-timers, as there are only very few people and very long distances + only few "albergues", so it is difficult to get in touch with other pilgrims),
the Camino Francés requires about 4 weeks minimum.

Camino Francés offers lots of culture, history, different landscapes (mountains, meseta). You will meet a lot of people but you will not feel obliged to befriend with them as tomorrow you will meet other people, walking different daily distances.

Camino Portugues offers less history, but nice portugese countryside and friendly locals. There are enough albergues, but people will roughly walk the same stages, so you are likely to meet them again in the evening. This makes even people who do not befriend that easily feel part of the camino family.

So, the choice is up to you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm with those who say it depends on how much time you have. With two or three weeks, I would walk the CP from Porto to Santiago or Finisterre/Muxia. With six weeks I would walk the CF from the French/Spanish border.

I see where the CF people are coming from and, if time is not a factor, I would definitely recommend the CF first. It is the more "archetypical" Camino that is generally reflected in books, movies, etc.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm with those who say it depends on how much time you have. With two or three weeks, I would walk the CP from Porto to Santiago or Finisterre/Muxia. With six weeks I would walk the CF from the French/Spanish border.

I see where the CF people are coming from and, if time is not a factor, I would definitely recommend the CF first. It is the more "archetypical" Camino that is generally reflected in books, movies, etc.

Some of us have never had enough freedom to walk the entire Frances straight through.... I never have! But, in bits and pieces, two weeks here, three weeks there, I've walked the entire Frances twice, and some parts three times. ... No-one should think that they must do the whole 4-5-6 weeks Frances walk in one fell swoop!

Some of us have never had enough freedom to walk the entire Frances straight through.... I never have! But, in bits and pieces, two weeks here, three weeks there, I've walked the entire Frances twice, and some parts three times. ... No-one should think that they must do the whole 4-5-6 weeks Frances walk in one fell swoop!
Good point. And I agree. But if someone is only ever going to get two to three weeks at a time, I would still advise doing the CP from Porto before the CF as a first camino. It allows them a complete Camino (and a slightly gentler one) as an introduction to the Camino experience, while still having a solid infrastructure and good pilgrim community. Then, if they find they like it, they can start on doing the CF in stages.

These are all tremendous points!
My traveling companion recently (today) pointed out to me that time IS a factor for her. I think she is thinking of the CP from Porto. You see my CF experience - I had originally planned on doing the CP from Lisbon solo for my third Camino, then she decided to come along. I think a new pilgrim should start with the CF as a baseline, all other factors being equal. I don't have time constraints.
Her new information, and the suggestions and advice from everyone here in this thread, puts a whole new spin on the question. Fortunately, we have time - we plan to do it in the Fall.
Question for another thread - is the cathedral in Santiago still under major construction/covered with scaffolding and the "photo" of the facade??

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@FooteK the wrappings are off the outside of the cathedral and it looks wonderful. The inside was supposed to be finished by February 2020, but I'm not sure that it is. I do know that you can book tickets to see the wonderfully restored Portico of Glory here.

I always advise the Camino Francés for a first camino.

It is the one described in the Codex Calixtinus, the 12th Century Book of St James, and the road followed by hundreds of thousands of pilgrims in the middle ages.

I have really liked lots of the other routes, and have walked quite a few (including the CP, which was OK, but not, imo, one of the best). Some routes are more spectacular (the Norte, the Primitivo, the Le Puy), some have been wonderfully enjoyable (the Via de la Plata, the Madrid), but the CF remains the one that pulls me.
For me it will always be "The Camino".
May I ask why you thought the CP was not one of the best?

@Susan B Johnson - stone sets and cobblestones, rain, bedbugs, two bad falls, and lots of eucalyptus forests (of which there are plenty where I come from, where they belong). I also was not very fit to begin and had arranged to meet a friend in Vigo, which put time pressure on me.

It was not unenjoyable, and I'd walk it again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you have 5 weeks definitely do the whole Camino Frances. If you have 2 weeks I suggest you do Leon to Santiago or the CP from Porto

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back