• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which route? First two weeks of May!

mgflorida

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for two weeks in May 2023!
Hi! I am planning my first Camino for the end of this semester. I am currently studying abroad in Madrid and will be walking with one friend. We can spend 12-14 days at the beginning of May want to get the Compostela. Any advice for deciding which route is appreciated!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You posted in another thread that you backpack quite a bit in the US. Does that include hills and mountains? If so then you should consider the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo or the later stages of the Via de la Plata/Sanabres from Zamora. Both include a reasonable amount of hilly country and are much quieter than the Camino Frances. If you do opt for the Primitivo you will get a taste of the CF three-ring-circus anyway as the two routes join up in Melide for the final 50km or so to Santiago.

You posted in another thread that you backpack quite a bit in the US. Does that include hills and mountains? If so then you should consider the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo or the later stages of the Via de la Plata/Sanabres from Zamora. Both include a reasonable amount of hilly country and are much quieter than the Camino Frances. If you do opt for the Primitivo you will get a taste of the CF three-ring-circus anyway as the two routes join up in Melide for the final 50km or so to Santiago.
Yes! I am used to hills and mountains so we could definitely handle a hilly route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree that the Primitivo seems the obvious choice here, as the timeframe and end-point both fit. You could also do the Verde alternative after Lugo to avoid rejoining the Francés at the end.

The Portuguese from Porto also fits but it’s further away from Madrid and perhaps you’d rather stay in Spain the entire time (e.g. if language study is part of your program).

You might also consider the Camino Invierno! This would avoid the busy last 100km in May from Melide but still ends in Santiago. Has some gorgeous scenery and hill options if you so choose. I'm a big fan of this route :)

But the Primitivo is also great!

I join others in voting for the Primitivo! I walked it in May last year and it was lovely!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back