• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which route for my first camino (solo female)?

Leah Suchet

Time of past OR future Camino
None yet
I am struggling to choose a route as they all sound interesting and appealing for different reasons! I am looking for:
  • Safety as a solo female hiker on her first camino
  • Meeting interesting people and having a community, but having the chance for some solo walking time to appreciate my surrounds
  • Beautiful scenery (preferably mountains/forests/coastline) and great sunsets would be a bonus!
  • Affordable (ideally between 20 - 30 euros per day)
  • Adventure, lots of history, lots of culture and lots of spirituality
I am going to be hiking in May/June for 3 weeks, and am considering doing part of the CF, CP coastal from Porto, or the Camino Primitivo, adding the C. Finisterre after whichever route I choose. I am a keen hiker with experience, so am up for a challenge in terms of distance and terrain, but the idea of meeting great people and embracing the Camino for more than a hike is also important to me.

I know I am overthinking this (as usual) but any insights would be much appreciated!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think most people will agree that the CF is the best place for you to start your Camino adventures. There is more people, more diversity in the terrain and more support and infrastructure which will give you all the things you have outlined, but possibly not satisfying a 20-30 euro budget (CP would be slightly more) and there will probably be more sunrises than sunset.

Last edited:
Don is absolutely correct; but €30/day isn’t going to do it in 2022. There aren’t many places in the world (as a tourist) - and certainly in Europe - where it would. Budget €40 and you’ll be OK. Municipales, big shared rooms, menus and supermarket shopping for shared meals. All of which are perfectly good.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think most people will agree that the CF is the best place for you to start your Camino adventures. There is more people, more diversity in the terrain and more support and infrastructure which will give you all the things you have outlined, but possibly not satisfying a 20-30 euro budget (CP would be slightly more) and there will probably be more sunrises than sunset.
Yes this is indeed what I have heard often! Thanks for the feedback :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don is absolutely correct; but €30/day isn’t going to do it in 2022. There aren’t many places in the world (as a tourist) - and certainly in Europe - where it would. Budget €40 and you’ll be OK. Municipales, big shared rooms, menus and supermarket shopping for shared meals. All of which are perfectly good.
Oh dear, that is really a pity about the budget! Might be best to limit my time, realistically speaking. Thanks for the heads up!

Since you only have three weeks, maybe two weeks or so on the Camino Frances (from Leon or thereabouts) for the reasons that @biarritzdon and @henrythedog outlines above, plus several days on the extension to Fisterra & Muxía to get those coastline views you wanted? Buen Camino!
Yes, I think you may be right. The CP really does look beautiful, but perhaps it will have to wait for a return camino trip... Thank you for the advice, I am definitely keen on Fisterra and Muxia to end off!

• Meeting interesting people and having a community, but having the chance for some solo walking time to appreciate my surrounds
  • Beautiful scenery (preferably mountains/forests/coastline) and great sunsets would be a bonus!
The Camino Frances checks all of these boxes except coastline - but if you walk to Finisterre you can get that coastline too. The CF is really the most ideal for any first time Pilgrim. And while the CF is more crowded - if you leave earlier in the day you will have more alone time. But even later in the day - you can chose how much time you want to be walking with someone.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh dear, that is really a pity about the budget! Might be best to limit my time, realistically speaking. Thanks for the heads up!
I hiked during COVID this past summer. Indeed - prices had risen a little - but most of the time a budget of 30 Euros a day would work if you stay mostly in municpals and you mix eating Pilgrims meals and buying meals from a grocery store. I would definitely still have a buffer - so as suggested - planning for 40 Euros a day would be good - but you may not have to spend that much if you plan and budget wisely.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On this issue, is it common for solo pilgrims, meeting on the Camino, to agree to share pension rooms with other solos? I'm not asking to get a safety lecture, just asking the well-traveled folks if it happens very often.
I think it happens quite often. They may also share triples or apartments, or private rooms in an albergue.

On this issue, is it common for solo pilgrims, meeting on the Camino, to agree to share pension rooms with other solos? I'm not asking to get a safety lecture, just asking the well-traveled folks if it happens very often.
@C Cleary is correct, when I walked, someone would even book an entire dorm room if they had enough people to fill it. Sometimes they booked an entire albergue. Or someone would get an apartment or other private room and invite others to split to cost. And this was happening on a day to day basis! They would get together, have dinner, research where they wanted to stay, and someone would call and try to reserve! If that place didn't work - they moved down the list.

I’m with most CF for sure, just for one reason if nothing else the infrastructure.

zzotte

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am struggling to choose a route as they all sound interesting and appealing for different reasons! I am looking for:
I am going to be hiking in May/June for 3 weeks, and am considering doing part of the CF, CP coastal from Porto, or the Camino Primitivo, adding the C. Finisterre after whichever route I choose. I am a keen hiker with experience, so am up for a challenge in terms of distance and terrain, but the idea of meeting great people and embracing the Camino for more than a hike is also important to me.

I know I am overthinking this (as usual) but any insights would be much appreciated!
Ingles

For your reasons I’d recommend the Frances.

Have you thought about doing the first part of the Camino Norte. It is spectacular. There are more than enough people walking so you will meet lots of other pilgrims. I think it is prettier than the Camino Frances and is more difficult than the Frances or the Coastal Portugues. That will be almost completely flat until you get to Spain. If you shop at night to eat in the albergues with others and for your lunch and snacks you would be able to keep your budget really close to 30-35 Euros a day. Especially if you cook dinner with other pilgrims in the albergues, you can easily keep your dinner/breakfast/lunch expenses to 15-18 Euros without a problem. I do it so I know it can be done for sure. Make sure you download AlertCops it is a great safety app that you can use if you are walking anywhere in Spain. But if you really want to finish in Santiago than forget about starting in Irun. That is your decision and a personal one.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

My first Camino was the Inglis way over 6 days from Ferrol to Santiago approx 118km and that tends to be a quiet one ..at present I am on the Frances started 10 days ago so maybe I am not experienced enough to say which one be to your taste ..if you keep to just doing one to save time in travelling I would obviously suggest Leon ( Spain )as your starting point for a 3 week hike on the Frances ..

When I walked The Frances in 2019, most of the solo trekkers I saw were women! Its well traveled, beautiful, well marked and supported. I would think that if you stay in Albergues you could do it on forty a day.

Except for coastlines, the Camino Francés has everything that you want. If you look at it realistically this will be your first, but not your last, camino and you should begin where the infrastructure is well established. On future Caminos you will be able, as an experienced pilgrim, to expand your camino to include everything that you want. As a solo female, on the CF you will rarely be far from other solo females. You can walk alone but have others pilgrims close by. In 2017, at 70 years old, I walked alone for 35 days but had social contacts every single day. If you want to walk with others, there are always plenty of willing pilgrims available. For me, the CF had everything that I needed and I did not have to stress about things like not being able to be alone, being too alone, not having a place to use the bathroom, or not finding a place to eat. The only thing left for me to stress about was where to find peanut butter and why could I not have grits for breakfast.

Buen Camino and have a wonderful time. If you happen to be in Ponferrada the first half of June, stop by St. Nicholas of Flue Parish Hostel and say hello. I will be a volunteer there.

I am also scheduled to hike the Camino Portuguese Coastal from Porto in May/June. Unfortunately the person I was hiking with broke her ankle two weeks ago and had to cancel the trip. I have rescheduled the CP two years in a row so I decided I will go solo. I feel very safe, must of my hiking friends have completed the CP solo and did not have any problems.

We had pre booked a few large houses in busy locations which we cancelled because I didn't want to take a large accommodation I don't need. Just yesterday, I was able to find private accommodations as low as 15 with the average being 22 a day in some locations. I am budgeting 40-50 per day while on the CP.

Buen Camino!

In general the Frances is the best choice for a first Camino. There is a more readily available connection to the history and spirit of the medieval pilgrimage. But, you will enjoy whatever camino you decide on. If you are fit and a seasoned hiker then here’s a vote for considering the Primitivo and then continuing from Santiago to Finisterre. This should fit your time frame. You would walk a continuous Camino from start to finish. You would walk through a variety of landscapes. You will see the Frances in all it’s crowded glory for two days. However, realize that the most meaningful and important aspects of the Camino are those that occur inside you. The essential requirement is not necessarily related to where you walk, but that you walk…. a lot!!😊

I think it happens quite often. They may also share triples or apartments, or private rooms in an albergue.
This happened a day out from Santiago when myself and my camino'buddy' were going to arrive in O Pedrouzo really late. A German couple let us share their pension for the night - all was well with the owner and only one had to sleep on the floor 😅 as is said - the camino provides.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, I think you may be right. The CP really does look beautiful, but perhaps it will have to wait for a return camino trip... Thank you for the advice, I am definitely keen on Fisterra and Muxia to end off!
I reckon that's a great call👍🏼

Camino Francés.

20-30 Euros daily budget should still be possible if you self cater and stay away from breakfasts and dinners in albergues / bars / restaurants, and stay in the cheaper albergues. I still budget for 30€/day max. this year and am pretty certain that there will be no major problem with that and that most days I'll stay way below that.

Supermarket food is cheap. If kitchens are closed, cold food will do (salad, sandwiches...) and can still be delicious. Tortilla, bocadillos, patatas bravas ect. are not expensive, also, If you want to eat in a bar from time to time. Coffee and beer are cheap also, as is wine.

If you have a look at gronze.com you'll see that there are still plenty albergues for 8-15€/night. That leaves enough money to eat well.

Breakfasts at albergues are usually overpriced anyway (a luke warm coffee and a cookie or some stale bread with jam for 5€!?). Same for most pilgrims menus (lettuce, pasta with tomato sauce and a pre packed industrial yogurt for 12€!?).

Anyway. Just to offer a different perspective. Most forum members seem to need a higher daily budget, but that doesn't mean it's not possible to walk a nice Camino with less.

Happy planning and buen Camino :)

one question how long do you have? How fit are you? knee problems? I walked all solo. only in day light not once I felt not safe.
I walked my first from Porto to Santiago along the coast. Almost no way to get lost. Well I managed that. Crowds are not my thing but as long you are on the Camino you always meet people. Sights mountains cost cities villages lovely Portuguese people inexpensive great cafes
The CP is relatively short or longer if you start from Lisboa. Along the coast physically not that challenging breath taking view. My expierience the saying the Camino will not allways give you wha you want but always always what you need. rule of thumb as long you feel your backpack you thoughts will go on the hamster wheel by day 8 you do not feel the backpack anymore your thoughts quite down and you start to walk in the moment.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

The Camino Portuguese is beautiful, especially if you take the variante spiritual. I walked it alone and met many other women alone on it, and never heard of any problems.

Camino Francés sounds like the camino you are looking for. Minimum average is 50 euros per day now.

I chose the Camino Del Norte for my first and have no regrets. I switched halfway to the Primitivo, so I got coastlines and Mountains. I also bussed to Fisterra and Muxia and spent a day in Fisterra, fell in love with Muxia and stayed 4 days. If I were you with only 3 weeks I’d start on the Primitivo then walk on the coast and there are some choices both well known and lesser known. You could check Gronze.com to see the coastal routes.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As most have said, I’d recommend the CF. Has everything you’re looking for minus coast, but you can get that with the Finisterre/Muxia extension. I did CF+Finisterre myself in 2018 as a solo F in my late 20s and it was perfect. Felt safe, spent relatively little, found a “Camino family” but often did the actual walking alone. Highly recommend! Going back this year to do CP from Lisbon most likely - still as a solo F. :)

I really enjoyed my Camino Portugues (coastal route) in September 2019. It has all you described but I cannot say what the cost would be in 2022.
Last year (November) I went from Santiago to Muxia and then on to Fisterre, and back. Very much enjoyed that as well. I would go back just to eat the bocadillo and the almond cake they serve in this middle-of-nowhere/hole in the wall eatery. The owner bakes everything in this beautiful old oven and was appropriately proud of herself when I complimented her on the tastiness of her creations.

The Norte and the Primitivo both provided excellent “Camino families “. Several of whom I continue to have relationships with.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I vote for Norte as scenery is great much better than the boring, noisy, crowded Frances. You will meet wonderful people and avoid crowds

I vote for Norte as scenery is great much better than the boring, noisy, crowded Frances. You will meet wonderful people and avoid crowds

Beautiful scenery can easily be found on most wilderness hiking trails around the world, no need to walk a Camino for that.

It's a pilgrimage first of all, not a scenic trail. If it's a nice scenery sometimes, that's just a bonus. The beauty one can find in a camino maybe comes more from introspection and interaction with other people, and less from the landscape around you (very different from what would be the case for a classic hiking trail).

To each their own, but no need to be so negative about something that is important to and beloved by others for their very own reasons.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

tarping or tenting every second night would halve the accommodation cost. 2 out of 3 nights would cut it by 2/3
just stay at the ones you come across that suit.
1000 years ago - there wouldn't have been such a choice of accommodation

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back