• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which route from Lourdes?

Camino2014

Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Piémont, Frances, Littoral, Norte, Ingles (completed) Baztan, St. Jaume, Portuguese (planned!)
Hello all!

I know this thread may not be in the correct place, but I wasn't sure where to put it. :oops:

But my question is:
Next summer I will be doing the Camino from Lourdes, France. This is my first Camino ever and I wanted to make it special by starting at an important Catholic shrine and ending at another important Catholic shrine. Anyway, I noticed there are two routes from which one may rejoin with the Camino Frances (which I will then follow all the way to Santiago)...

1. One, the Chemin Piemont, heads west from Lourdes to St. Jean where it meets up with the beginning of the Frances.
2. Two, the Camino Aragones, instead goes south and over an entirely different mountain pass, the Col Somport, and continues through Jaca and finally rejoins with the Frances at Puente la Reina.

Of these two, which do you experienced pilgrims think is the best to take from Lourdes? I understand the Col Somport is much more naturally beautiful than the Route Napoleon near SJPdP. Then again, the history and legends surrounding the area of SJPdP (Roland, Charlemagne, etc.) interest me greatly and there is none of that at the Col Somport.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated! Thank you for helping me plan my first Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Both routes are stunningly beautiful. Groups tend to form amongst pilgrims who leave SJPDP together, and these usually become your Camino "family". I think that is one of the prime reasons for taking that route, especially on a first Camino. Joining the Frances after Punta la Reina might make it a little harder to break into an already established community.
If you want solitude then take the Somport route.

My only real advice, having taken the Lourdes>SJPP variant, is that you might beware the "official" itinerary between Lourdes and Oloron, as it makes very many rather pointless detours up various mountains and crests, considerably (and IMO pointlessly) increasing both the length and the difficulty of the hike.

You shouldn't hesitate to walk sometimes along the typically very quiet country roads instead, when the occasion should present itself -- though there are also places where the official route is better, and this is hard to explain in detail from memory.

Of course, if that sort of hiking up mountains and crests is your heart's desire, then you'll love it !!! :D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
JabbaPapa said:
My only real advice, having taken the Lourdes>SJPP variant, is that you might beware the "official" itinerary between Lourdes and Oloron, as it makes very many rather pointless detours up various mountains and crests, considerably (and IMO pointlessly) increasing both the length and the difficulty of the hike.

You shouldn't hesitate to walk sometimes along the typically very quiet country roads instead, when the occasion should present itself -- though there are also places where the official route is better, and this is hard to explain in detail from memory.

Of course, if that sort of hiking up mountains and crests is your heart's desire, then you'll love it !!! :D

Thanks for the advice, JabbaPapa. Would you happen to have an English language version of the "official" itinerary you speak of? I'd like to see for myself the mountains and estimate from there whether or not I'd be up to the challenge! :mrgreen:

No sorry -- but I'm sure someone else in here will have one !!!

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back