• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which route in January

travelinglightCO

Time of past OR future Camino
December/January
Hello -
I know it is not the best time of year. However, a late December/January trip works well with my time off from work. I am looking to arrive in Europe around December 28th and am looking for a route of approximately 10 to 14 days. The Portuguese Camino Coastal Route is what I am currently looking at; however, I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for other options? I am coming from snow in the US, so I know the weather will be cooler this time of year. Mostly concerned with being able to find a place to rest my head at night.

Thank you in advance for your time!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello -
I know it is not the best time of year. However, a late December/January trip works well with my time off from work. I am looking to arrive in Europe around December 28th and am looking for a route of approximately 10 to 14 days. The Portuguese Camino Coastal Route is what I am currently looking at; however, I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for other options? I am coming from snow in the US, so I know the weather will be cooler this time of year. Mostly concerned with being able to find a place to rest my head at night.

I am curious too for such a suggestion. The earliest month of the year I have walked is March, and kept being told many albergues close for the winter until Easter. I would say there are private places available but few as cheap as a municipal albergue.
Let's see what others say.

Hello -

I think it's the best time to walk. I like the Francés because even though 75% of everything is closed, the much more robust infrastructure is still there. I write about winter walking in my new book. (It's on Amazon).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Did a winter in camino in 2020. Got sunburn and the weather was mild. Don't let that fool you, it snows in Spain in the winter. Did not have a (major) problem finding an albergue. Although some days required 17+ miles walking. I would advise starting after January 1 since many albergues would be still closed for Christmas holiday season, etc.

Good luck.

Mark

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow! Thank you all for your responses!

I am hoping to not take a tent.

It sounds like you don't anticipate that finding a hotel or guesthouse will be an issue during this time?

I will likely start walking on December 30. Do you think I will have a hard time finding a hotel December 30 and 31?

Going to look into the Leon to Santiago route.

I so appreciate all your time!

I don't see any reason to bring a tent. Walking in January will require more planning, but others have done it. You might be interested in this thread with posts from pilgrims who have walked in January.

And bookmark this site, which will post which albergues are open during the winter. The site will be active again starting November 1st.

Hello -

I love this "winter walking" topic so much that I just feel compelled to give my two cents.
With internet being present virtually around 100% of your Camino nowadays, it makes a low season walking a piece of cake!
The best months I have walked were BY FAR NOV-DEC and late FEB-APR.
Yes, you do have to like a bit of a cold weather but.. Its not that bad!
Late November is gorgeous since you start walking with all the trees brown and then ,as days go by, leafs will fall out and you'll end the camino with that amazing landscape of leafless tress in winter time.
You'll always find a place to sleep... There are always some albergues that will stay opened most year... That's why the internet is your wing man on a Winter Journey... You can always research as you go along, call in advance, talk with people along the way and make up your mind.

My last three Caminos were "off" season and, if I'm happy enough to walk more caminos in the future, they will certainly not be during the high season (APR-OCT).

You can't go wrong... Check avaiable places to stay in all camino options you have on your mind and just make a decision.... If all looks bad, just go for the Frances! There will always be people walking it!

Buens Camino1 :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
... It sounds like you don't anticipate that finding a hotel or guesthouse will be an issue during this time? ...

I have used Booking.com with great success to determine answers to questions like that. For example, a few minutes ago they listed 94 properties in León for the period Jan 3 to 6.

Yes. I did that for the portuguese camino when I started looking into this and not many places showed up in the portugal section. Once you entered Spain, there were more options. Based on wonderful feedback from this site, now looking into a different route.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I love this "winter walking" topic so much that I just feel compelled to give my two cents.
With internet being present virtually around 100% of your Camino nowadays, it makes a low season walking a piece of cake!
The best months I have walked were BY FAR NOV-DEC and late FEB-APR.
Yes, you do have to like a bit of a cold weather but.. Its not that bad!
Late November is gorgeous since you start walking with all the trees brown and then ,as days go by, leafs will fall out and you'll end the camino with that amazing landscape of leafless tress in winter time.
You'll always find a place to sleep... There are always some albergues that will stay opened most year... That's why the internet is your wing man on a Winter Journey... You can always research as you go along, call in advance, talk with people along the way and make up your mind.

My last three Caminos were "off" season and, if I'm happy enough to walk more caminos in the future, they will certainly not be during the high season (APR-OCT).

You can't go wrong... Check avaiable places to stay in all camino options you have on your mind and just make a decision.... If all looks bad, just go for the Frances! There will always be people walking it!

Buens Camino1 :)
I agree entirely. The only time I’ve had a little difficulty is immediately around Christmas / Los Reyes; otherwise there is more than enough accommodation for the numbers walking and it’s (for me) much more enjoyable than the ‘follow the guy in front’ procession that is April to September.

I never had any problem to find albergues open in winter time, included Christmas.
In León, the Carbajalas albergue is always open.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The best information about open Albergues, is given to you at the Albergue where you spend the night.
All Albergues open are connected to inform pilgrims.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back