• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which route in the winter?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The CF probably has the most infrastructure in the winter just as it does in summer. I have served as a hospitalera on both the Via de la Plata and the CF in December. On the VDLP we had very few pilgrims in Zamora and sometimes none. On the CF we were at Granon and usually had 5 or more guests each night in December. Both are open all winter to pilgrims.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As a counter to the very valid ‘CF has the best infrastructure for winter’ argument, you could look at trying to go further south where it’s warmer, and on a route that doesn’t rely on seasonal albergues and instead has other accommodation options that are open. This might lead you to the Vía Serrana, which I am currently walking. This recent thread discusses some of the southern options for winter.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Via Augusta for me from next Tuesday - 6 days and (hopefully) decent (comparatively) weather.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Am thinking of a Camino in January and February .
which one ?
I would love advice .
I cannot give you advice as I haven't done any camino yet but plan on starting out in April.
You might want to check out the weather forecast with this link, www.meteofrance.com and or www.weatherchannel.com.
It is currently -4 (-28F)at the Col du Somport and -12C (10.4F at night. AT Roncevaux, it is between 0°C degrees ( 32F) and -6C (21F) with rain forecast all week. Hey, it's winter!
Buen Camino

On the CF we were at Granon and usually had 5 or more guests each night in December. Both are open all winter to pilgrims.
Grañon donativo is fantastic: both priest and hospitalero are very kind. It is located in the same building than the church, and when pilgrims are not so many, they can visit the bell tower.
Last but not least, I particularly like the stamp of this donativo... ;)

I cannot give you advice as I haven't done any camino yet but plan on starting out in April.
You might want to check out the weather forecast with this link, www.meteofrance.com and or www.weatherchannel.com.
It is currently -4 (-28F)at the Col du Somport and -12C (10.4F at night. AT Roncevaux, it is between 0°C degrees ( 32F) and -6C (21F) with rain forecast all week. Hey, it's winter!
Buen Camino
I have decided to start my camino in March from AUCH, France to Jaca, Spain to Pamplona, return home and start on the Camino Francès in April. That should avoid the snow if it ever falls in the Pyrenées. Last news I heard, they had to shut down many ski resorts in the Pyrenées..same in the Alps. Incredible weather and definitely not seasonal.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back