• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which route is best for mid-April thru May?

Walsh Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2012, 2014, Norte/Primitivo 2017, 2022
My husband and I are planning a camino for mid-April through May. This will be a re-booking of a Sept 2019 camino that had to be aborted days before departure for him to get an unexpectected heart stent. He recovered quickly, but then we were into Covid. Our original plan was to do Norte into Primitivo. With our new timing, I am concerned about too much rain the first few weeks on the Norte and then hitting the Primitivo before snow melts at elevation. Am I wrong about this? Does anyone have a recommendation for other routes? We have already done the Frances twice together and I have done Portuguese so looking for something different.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the Norte, leaving Irun in mid April. Its true that the Norte is rainier on average than the Frances, but its also warmer, being at a lower elevation. The majority of days start and finish at sea level, and the weather was quite agreeable. We dodged our share of rain drops on a few days of course, but that year was much drier overall than my first outing on the Frances, where it rained for several weeks. Of course, the second time I walked the Frances (all mid April departures, mind you) was sunshine and flowers the whole way.

I would not be worried about the Norte being excessively rainy. Every year is different, and you get what you get. Worry about the relentless up and down for the first ten days, I found it to be a substantial physical challenge!

As for the Primitivo, I cannot comment, although I would be surprised to find anything other than remnants of snow at elevation by the time you get there. Cruz de Ferro is higher, in the neighborhood, and snow free at that time of year.

Buen Camino

Mid-April through May is, IMO, a perfect time to walk the Vdlp from Sevilla. My rule of thumb is to start in the south if it’s April or May, and to start in the North in summer, but not high summer, because of all the tourists. But lots of people walk the Norte in spring and love it, so I wouldn’t let the thought of rain keep you away. And I agree on the likelihood of snow on the Primitivo at that time of year. Salvador (Leon-Oviedo) maybe, but not likely on the Primitivo from Oviedo forward.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My husband and I are planning a camino for mid-April through May. This will be a re-booking of a Sept 2019 camino that had to be aborted days before departure for him to get an unexpectected heart stent. He recovered quickly, but then we were into Covid. Our original plan was to do Norte into Primitivo. With our new timing, I am concerned about too much rain the first few weeks on the Norte and then hitting the Primitivo before snow melts at elevation. Am I wrong about this? Does anyone have a recommendation for other routes? We have already done the Frances twice together and I have done Portuguese so looking for something different.
I have walked the CF in the spring several times. The first brought only 3 days of rain. The second only 3 days with no rain. You can never tell.

The Le Puy route in France. Different food, different customs, different landscape feel.

Maybe more expensive, but worth it. You'll pass through about 7 of "The Most Beautiful Villages in France." And you'll pass through Pays Basque on the last 100+kms of the route.

If you research this route on this form you will quickly discover the "downside" - mostly French hikers and English isn't its international language like it is on the Camino Frances.

The Portuguese routes are lovely at that time of year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I second @peregrina2000: Via de la Plata from Seville has wonderful weather that time of year.
Buen camino!
And I’m another who immediately thought of ‘VDLP’ when I read your post.
Sevilla in south is a beautiful starting point.
Walking in April - you’ll be passing through places during Semana Santa (sun 10 April -sun17 April 2022) - memorable experience.

buen camino
Annie

Weather is very unpredictable. I walked the Norte in April 2014. There was no rain until I reached Galacia. On the Primitivo, in 2013, there was some rain but the only snow was in Tineo. That said, it could rain or snow on either route at any time during that period.

At that time of year, you could see snow in the mountains or rain on most routes.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks all for responding. I think we'll end up adjusting our plans to arrive early May and walk thru early June, starting on Norte and letting things develop from there. With the constantly changing landscape of Covid, though I am optimistic that next year will be easier than this year, it occurs to me that weather will be the least of our worries!
Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back