• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Route Is The Flattest??

CyberMette

Time of past OR future Camino
Horseback Camino Primitivo 2016
Dreams:
Biking Camino 2017
Walking Camino 20??
Hello

I want to bike The Camino with My old dad.
Therefor I am looking for which route is The flattest or easiest to ride on a bike???
We Will be doing The last 200 km to Santiago.

Is there anyone who has any other advice?

Thanks In advance!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You did the Primitivo on horseback - so cool - I am very jealous!

My Dream is to do all 3 kinds.... so two left...
Next one is Biking ... just not sure which route, because of My father...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks! I Will have a look at The link...

I have heard that Spain is the second mountainous country in Europe!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Except for one day going from Cercidilla to Segovia the Camino Madrid sticks in my mind as being fairly flat.

I was 68 when I biked the CF. The last 200 km are not flat. I have no experience with the other routes. There are a couple things to think about in regards to days with real hills. You can always send your luggage (painniers) ahead to the next place you will sleep. It if is very hilly, then send it a short distance. Take extra time in the hilly sections, that is don't try to go as far in a day. Take lots of breaks, and do some walking your bike up the hill.

The most important thing, from my perspective is to make sure that the bike has been adjusted to your (and your dad's body. I had a professional bike trainer set up my personal bike to the exact dimensions for my body at home while training for some 200+ mile 2-day rides. That included changing some of the handlebar components, modifying my clipless shoes so that my foot was at a different angle to help improve knee function, and adjusting my high-end special bike seat to the right angle and height.

I rented a bike in Europe and I brought my own helmet, bike pedals, bike shoes, and seat with me. Prior to removing the seat I took detailed measurements from of the seat angle, the distance of the top of the seat to the bottom of the pedal stroke, the distance from the front of the seat to the handlebars. The distance from the handlebars to the bottom of the pedal stroke. This allowed me to triangulate all the critical measurements in adjusting the bike to my body. Then on the rental bike, I installed my seat that my body had trained with, my pedals that my bike shoes were set up for. Then I adjusted all the rental bike dimensions so they closely matched the bike I trained on.

Assuming your dad has trained on a bike and it has been adjusted to his body, I really wouldn't worry to much about the flattest route, just be flexible in sending luggage ahead and/or making hilly days, short distance days.

Good luck.

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back