• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which route through France avoiding tarmac?

Peter1

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2017
I would love to walk one of the great caminos in France to Saint Jean Pied de Port. I had decided to walk the Vézelay route but am not so sure now as I one of the other posts says that there is a great deal of tarmac walking - up to 80%. If you have done the walk, could you let me know if you think this is the case? Also, is there a lot of tarmac on the Le Puy route? On the Le Puy route is there plenty of cheap accomodation at this time of the year (I am starting round about 18 September)

Thanks in advance!

Peter

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Also, is there a lot of tarmac on the Le Puy route? On the Le Puy route is there plenty of cheap accomodation at this time of the year (I am starting round about 18 September)
The Le Puy is roughly one-third or less tarmac (very lightly traveled country by-ways), one-third farm roads (unpaved), and one-third foot path (hiking trail)(often quite stony). Since there are perhaps 10% the number of pilgrims on the Le Puy as on the Camino Frances, the level of infrastructure is correspondingly smaller. The towns are further apart (15-20-sometimes 25 km) and smaller. For example Condom at 7000 qualifies as a small city. Most (not all) towns have some lodging. On average, lodging with demi-pension runs 40-45 Euros. A few places have municipal lodgings for less. The baseline lodging directory is Miam Miam Dodo.

Thanks very much for this factual help. Really useful! Have you done toe Vezelay route? If so, how do you think they compare?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks very much for this factual help. Really useful! Have you done toe Vezelay route? If so, how do you think they compare?

Hi! I haven’t done the Le Puy route but I’m planning to walk from Vezelay (sometime in the future...). I think the Vezelay route is much flatter.
But better wait for someone who has walked both for proper advice ;)

I don't want to sound negative about the Vézelay route, because I loved it, but as it is less travelled than the Le Puy route, that also means less pilgrim infrastructure: fewer albergues, fewer shops, and more pavement and tarmac. This is confirmed by looking at the numbers presented by @Kitsambler. I wasn't really keeping track of the surfaces I was walking on (and I can't find any percentages online), but I'd say quite a bit more than one-third was tarmac or paved surface. But don't discount the Vézelay just because of that...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I would love to walk one of the great caminos in France to Saint Jean Pied de Port. I had decided to walk the Vézelay route but am not so sure now as I one of the other posts says that there is a great deal of tarmac walking - up to 80%.
Peter
Hi @Peter1, did you walk the Vezelay last September, or did you chose another route? I’m researching my next walk, but seeing many comments about excessive road/tarmac walking on the Vezelay.
What day you? Thanks!

I walked the Le Puy route last autumn. I would say there's about 40% non tarmac and maybe 30 tarmac. It's a beautiful path though the best buy in my view is the first part to Cahors.

I walked the Le Puy Aug/Sept 2018. Too much tarmac for me. But the first third was grand and the landscapes spectacular.
Am considering the Vezelay but seeing lots of tarmac comments.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.