• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which route to take?

ElizaMetere

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2016
I am planning to do my first pilgrimage in mid March 2016. I have only 2 weeks this time and would like to take a route that has lots of nature and mountains/hills. I don't want to walk through lots of cities and roads. I do yearn for hills and nature very much.
So I am wondering which would be a good route, where to start to end in Santiago de Compostella? Grateful for any suggestions.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Eliza, welcome to the forum. My first thought is the Camino Primitivo, as you could walk from Oviedo to Santiago within your timeline. It's wonderfully rural, with lots of quality time spent hiking through hills and mountains. It's physically demanding, so you would need to be more fit for this than the Francés, but if you like hills I'm guessing you train well!

The one catch... you're hiking in March. That means the weather may be iffy. With fewer stops along the way, and more rugged terrain, you're more at the mercy of nature on the Primitivo. For that reason, you might still consider the Francés from León to Santiago. You'd have one good mountain crossing to O Cebreiro, and Galicia has nicely undulating terrain. After León, large urban areas are very limited. And, if rough weather hits, it'll be more manageable on this route.

Hi Eliza and welcome here. Two weeks would give you enough time to walk the Ingles from Ferrol to Santiago and then to Finisterre or Muxia. Lots of nature on the Ingles and some demanding hills too. Or you could walk from Porto to SdC... Some days walking by the seaside,
yes some roadside walking too but also some hills. It took me a leisurely 13 days and I loved all of it!!!
Enjoy browsing this forum!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am planning to do my first pilgrimage in mid March 2016. I have only 2 weeks this time and would like to take a route that has lots of nature and mountains/hills. I don't want to walk through lots of cities and roads. I do yearn for hills and nature very much.
So I am wondering which would be a good route, where to start to end in Santiago de Compostella? Grateful for any suggestions.

The Camino Francés, starting in Ponferrada, would actually fulfil all your requirements. Ponferrada, 210km from Santiago, is easy to reach by public transport and it is also the last biggish town until Santiago. You could also start a little bit earlier on the way in Astorga and pass by the emblematic Cruz de Ferro and the Montes de Leon. For the stage to Sarria I recommend the Samos variant, really magical Galician forest paths ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Hi Eliza, welcome to the forum. My first thought is the Camino Primitivo, as you could walk from Oviedo to Santiago within your timeline. It's wonderfully rural, with lots of quality time spent hiking through hills and mountains. It's physically demanding, so you would need to be more fit for this than the Francés, but if you like hills I'm guessing you train well!

The one catch... you're hiking in March. That means the weather may be iffy. With fewer stops along the way, and more rugged terrain, you're more at the mercy of nature on the Primitivo. For that reason, you might still consider the Francés from León to Santiago. You'd have one good mountain crossing to O Cebreiro, and Galicia has nicely undulating terrain. After León, large urban areas are very limited. And, if rough weather hits, it'll be more manageable on this route.
Thank you Dave. I have been looking into this too, but I am a little concerned that everyone says it is physically very demanding and since I have never done a pilgrimage like this before I have to say I am a bit scared about it, especially since I am going on my own. They say sometimes its 40km between the possible accommodation? And if it is very tough what if I don't make it until the dark?

Thank you Dave. I have been looking into this too, but I am a little concerned that everyone says it is physically very demanding and since I have never done a pilgrimage like this before I have to say I am a bit scared about it, especially since I am going on my own. They say sometimes its 40km between the possible accommodation? And if it is very tough what if I don't make it until the dark?
But I also have to admit this sounds most exciting for me too :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Visit the Eroski website for whichever route is of interest to you and see which albergues will be open at that time of the year.

You definitely wouldn't have to cover 40km to arrive at the next accommodation, so that's the good news! From Oviedo, you'd have roughly 300km to walk. I'd suggest doing that in 12 stages, so you'd average 25km per day. The longest days in there would be around 30km. You would consistently face elevation gain/loss in the 400-600m/day range, with one tough day approaching 1000m. Many of the albergues on this route will be open, but there will be cheap pensiónes available as well.

You know you best. Setting aside pilgrimage, what's your hiking background? Have you hiked for distance or elevation before?

You definitely wouldn't have to cover 40km to arrive at the next accommodation, so that's the good news! From Oviedo, you'd have roughly 300km to walk. I'd suggest doing that in 12 stages, so you'd average 25km per day. The longest days in there would be around 30km. You would consistently face elevation gain/loss in the 400-600m/day range, with one tough day approaching 1000m. Many of the albergues on this route will be open, but there will be cheap pensiónes available as well.

You know you best. Setting aside pilgrimage, what's your hiking background? Have you hiked for distance or elevation before?
I climbed Mont Blanc...but that was like 10 years ago and I am definitely not after THAT kind of hike :) I still want to have some energy left for some self enquiry. I'm really after some mountains and nature more than physically tough challenge.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow! Well, this is easier than Mont Blanc, for sure. I can't fully recommend the Primitivo in March to you, simply because of the weather questions, but it definitely fulfills many of your interests. As you can see from the above posts, you have a number of options, but I think it will ultimately come down to the Francés (safer, more pilgrims, lots of facilities) and Primitivo (more mountains, more rural, fewer pilgrims and facilities).

The good news is that you don't necessarily need to commit one way or the other ahead of time. León and Oviedo are pretty close to each other, so regardless of where you fly in, it won't be too great a hardship to get to either.

Wow! Well, this is easier than Mont Blanc, for sure. I can't fully recommend the Primitivo in March to you, simply because of the weather questions, but it definitely fulfills many of your interests. As you can see from the above posts, you have a number of options, but I think it will ultimately come down to the Francés (safer, more pilgrims, lots of facilities) and Primitivo (more mountains, more rural, fewer pilgrims and facilities).

The good news is that you don't necessarily need to commit one way or the other ahead of time. León and Oviedo are pretty close to each other, so regardless of where you fly in, it won't be too great a hardship to get to either.
Thank you so much! I suppose I will have to feel into it and I still have some time to decide. Thank you thank you! This has helped me so much!

Hi,

I read through this thread rapidly... Has anyone told you about the Camino de Invierno? It would fit in your time-span. If you're fast, you can add Santiago-Mugía/Fisterra within those weeks as well. Hills: yes. Nature: yes. Rural: yes. There is some asphalt, but no more than you'll find on any other Camino. It's in Galicia, so once again the weather in March may be tricky. Albergues: look it up, I don't know if they're open all year round. Forum member Peregrina2000 is currently completing a guide for this route, to be operative from January 2016. Look at the Forum of the Camino de Invierno for more info. According to me it should be everything you ask for. But: there's a lot of loose dogs included in the rural-ness of it...

/Bad Pilgrim

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,

I read through this thread rapidly... Has anyone told you about the Camino de Invierno? It would fit in your time-span. If you're fast, you can add Santiago-Mugía/Fisterra within those weeks as well. Hills: yes. Nature: yes. Rural: yes. There is some asphalt, but no more than you'll find on any other Camino. It's in Galicia, so once again the weather in March may be tricky. Albergues: look it up, I don't know if they're open all year round. Forum member Peregrina2000 is currently completing a guide for this route, to be operative from January 2016. Look at the Forum of the Camino de Invierno for more info. According to me it should be everything you ask for. But: there's a lot of loose dogs included in the rural-ness of it...

/Bad Pilgrim
Look up www.caminodeinvierno.com, a very detailed and comprehensive site. It shows maps, elevations, explanations on etapas sections and sleeping accomodation options. Also long etapas but many can be broken up by staying in hotels and pensiones. At a cost in comparison to albergues of course.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back