• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which route to take?

Mavitut

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles (2017)
Oddly I can't find a forum for what would seem to be the most important question for pilgrims: which route to take? In our case we want to walk 7-10 days. We are in our 60s and fit. We want to walk in Spain but would consider Portugal.

But which of the many many routes would be best? We'd like decent facilities, but not crowds (yeah, right). Nice countryside, decent weather etc.. We'll meet friends in Santiago and then travel around Spain, but the first part of our trip (the Camino) is the key.

Please, I would be grateful for advice on which route(s) to look at, given our interests. Thanks very much for advice. And thanks too for the Forum.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oddly I can't find a forum for what would seem to be the most important question for pilgrims: which route to take?
Hi and welcome...the reason you can't find a forum for it is because it varies too much. for instance, even with your fairly specific list, it depends on what you consider decent, crowds, and nice. And nice weather can vary with time of year.
the closer you get to SdC on any route, the more people. I think many enjoy the Portugues, of course by sheer numbers most prefer the Frances, a nice alternative to the roads more traveled are the Norte (but depending on time of year can be wet) and I like the Primitivo...but as a road is less traveled there is less infrastructure...and of course less people to socialize with during stops. Another way to walk would be the Ingles, or even SdC-Finisterre-Muxia-SdC.

at this site http://www.gronze.com/#todos you can click on each of the routes and get an idea of how many days long they are (but you can start at any point to suit your 7-10 window), the elevations, the things along the way, etc. You could also start, then skip some sections via train/bus/taxi to fit your time frame. Happy planning and Buen Camino!

edit: while I prefer the Primitivo, you couldn't probably get from Oviedo to SdC in 7-10 days without walking really long steps. I did it in 10 but it meant two 25+ mile days and a third pretty long one. You could start in Lugo, but in my opinion you miss the best parts of the Primitivo.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome...the reason you can't find a forum for it is because it varies too much. for instance, even with your fairly specific list, it depends on what you consider decent, crowds, and nice. And nice weather can vary with time of year.
the closer you get to SdC on any route, the more people. I think many enjoy the Portugues, of course by sheer numbers most prefer the Frances, a nice alternative to the roads more traveled are the Norte (but depending on time of year can be wet) and I like the Primitivo...but as a road is less traveled there is less infrastructure...and of course less people to socialize with during stops. Another way to walk would be the Ingles, or even SdC-Finisterre-Muxia-SdC.

at this site http://www.gronze.com/#todos you can click on each of the routes and get an idea of how many days long they are (but you can start at any point to suit your 7-10 window), the elevations, the things along the way, etc. You could also start, then skip some sections via train/bus/taxi to fit your time frame. Happy planning and Buen Camino!

edit: while I prefer the Primitivo, you couldn't probably get from Oviedo to SdC in 7-10 days without walking really long steps. I did it in 10 but it meant two 25+ mile days and a third pretty long one. You could start in Lugo, but in my opinion you miss the best parts of the Primitivo.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
SO helpful! Thank you! Vague terms are of course subjective, but other pilgrims may help me define what is "decent weather" for instance, or "not too crowded." I should have mentioned, though that we are constrained to walk in late June, perhaps the first week of July. That "having a job thing" is such a pain. Thanks!

Jobs...if only we had money without them. I only walked the Norte until it reached the turn-off to the Primitivo, but looking at the route description it sound/looks pretty for the last 8 days of the Norte (then you join the Frances)...I liked the part I walked, beaches, good seafood, fewer walkers...maybe look on the Norte forum to find someone who walked the entire way.

PS if you don't easily read Spanish google translate will turn gronze to english:)

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Robert Frost did this:

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

What about doing the traditional walk from Sarria to Santiago and follow it with one to Finisterre if you have time?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back