• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which route to take

Nelsa walker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino (2017)
hola,

Now our trip is getting closer we are not sure which route to take Valcarlos or Napoleon route. Any suggestions please. Gracias

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Please tell us more. When do you start? How many of you are there? Ages? How well have you trained? Do you want to do the trip in one day or two? At what time of the day will you be starting? That sort of stuff.

Please tell us more. When do you start? How many of you are there? Ages? How well have you trained? Do you want to do the trip in one day or two? At what time of the day will you be starting? That sort of stuff.
Hi Rick, we are two people, my husband and I. Our starting point is St Jean Pied de Port 12th April and walk as far as we could for about a week, due to work Commitments. I'm 49 and my husband is 62. I do run three times a week 15 miles so I think it's ok, though I thought it's not fitness what matters here? My husband is a great walker as our names suggest :) gracias

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Check this new thread on April weather: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/napoleon-route-weather-in-april.46218/

We would have liked to do the Napolean but the Pilgrims' Office said there was a good chance of lightening. The weather up high might be foggy too in which case you are doing a lot of extra work for nothing.

You may be in shape for the high route but I hope you have some uphill training or else the muscles you need for that will likely scream for attention. Slopes will add to the chance of getting blisters too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Check this new thread on April weather: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/napoleon-route-weather-in-april.46218/

We would have liked to do the Napolean but the Pilgrims' Office said there was a good chance of lightening. The weather up high might be foggy too in which case you are doing a lot of extra work for nothing.

You may be in shape for the high route but I hope you have some uphill training or else the muscles you need for that will likely scream for attention. Slopes will add to the chance of getting blisters too.
Thank you Rick, will go to the pilgrims office ☺️

Hi Rick, we are two people, my husband and I. Our starting point is St Jean Pied de Port 12th April and walk as far as we could for about a week, due to work Commitments. I'm 49 and my husband is 62. I do run three times a week 15 miles so I think it's ok, though I thought it's not fitness what matters here? My husband is a great walker as our names suggest :) gracias

Take the Napoleon Route if the weather permits. There's a surfaced road and an easy enough incline most of the way to the top and then a pleasant walk down through the forest to Roncesvalles. "Going over the Pyrenees" often conjures up images of very difficult mountain terrain - it's not like that at all. It's well within the capabilities of reasonably fit people. For you guys it will be a walk in the park.

Take the Napoleon Route if the weather permits. There's a surfaced road and an easy enough incline most of the way to the top and then a pleasant walk down through the forest to Roncesvalles. "Going over the Pyrenees" often conjures up images of very difficult mountain terrain - it's not like that at all. It's well within the capabilities of reasonably fit people. For you guys it will be a walk in the park.

Check out this video of the Napoleon route that was posted recently on this forum (sorry can't remember which thread). I found it helpful see some video of the route and not just pictures.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Please, Nelsa Walker, when you take the Napoleon route and get to Roncesvalles let us directly know if it was a walk in the park or if you encountered any pleasant walks down through a forest.

Most people I know get a grin on their face when talking about the Napoleon route and not because it's a walk in the park ending in a pleasant walk down through a forest. :)
It's a notoriously difficult stretch! Not because of hard to trot mountain terrain but the sheer distance uphill with everything you've got strapped on your back ending in a steep, long, often slippery way downhill when you already had quite a beating. The entire camino, including that first day, is not about fitness. It's about willpower, how well your joints, your feet, your back and everything else can take a beating and how good you are in taking care of your body.

The Napoleon route is not a walk, it's a climb and a steep downhill stretch, 28Km long.

I will take the Valcarlos route or stop at Orisson any day, except when the weather is almost perfect and I feel really daring to take a risk.
I'm 44 , have a desk job but run 10Km 4 times a week.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I was wondering the same thing for a couple of months because I only have time to do some preparations in the weekend (even then, no way).
So, I decided to do the Napoleon route with a stopover in Orisson (+communal meal) due to lack of enough preparation.
I have the time to do a slow walk (retirement 01/04=plenty of time), but in your case you are limited in time...
I took that decision for the views (when lucky) and that there is a possibilty that I won't do the same route again.
What ever you decide good luck ;)
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for your comment, really appreciated ☺️ it. This is to celebrate our wedding anniversary, I don't think he remember's the exact day But I know he's going to love it

I will always take the Valcarlos route these days. I remember the Benta Ardandegia with much affection.
Hi Tincatinker, thanks as always for your help, I'm already feeling so good about it all, so much support from this forum that I have not words to thank you enough, will keep in touch for certain

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was wondering the same thing for a couple of months because I only have time to do some preparations in the weekend (even then, no way).
So, I decided to do the Napoleon route with a stopover in Orisson (+communal meal) due to lack of enough preparation.
I have the time to do a slow walk (retirement 01/04=plenty of time), but in your case you are limited in time...
I took that decision for the views (when lucky) and that there is a possibilty that I won't do the same route again.
Buen Camino
Hi Willydp, thanks for your help, ☺️ and wishes x

Buen Camino

If the weather is good, you are reasonably fit, and you have never done it, the Napoleon. If taking that route, I would always stay in Orisson, regardless of my fitness. If the answer to any of the first is "no" (poor weather, unfit or not the first time) then the Valcarlos. I'm like @Tincatinker, having done the Napoleon a few times, I now would always take the Valcarlos. But I agree, the Napoleon is a bit of a bucket list thing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree that there are many good, informative videos on youtube. Search for Camino Day 1 and you should get plenty of results. I've watched several and very few showed pilgrims who found the Napolean to be a walk in the park. I've done the Napolean and we struck bad weather. I'm walking again in a few weeks time and I will be taking the Valcarlos route. Thanks @Tincatinker for the recommendation for what I think is a restaurant, or at least that's according to Google?

Please, Nelsa Walker, when you take the Napoleon route and get to Roncesvalles let us directly know if it was a walk in the park or if you encountered any pleasant walks down through a forest.

Most people I know get a grin on their face when talking about the Napoleon route and not because it's a walk in the park ending in a pleasant walk down through a forest. :)
It's a notoriously difficult stretch! Not because of hard to trot mountain terrain but the sheer distance uphill with everything you've got strapped on your back ending in a steep, long, often slippery way downhill when you already had quite a beating. The entire camino, including that first day, is not about fitness. It's about willpower, how well your joints, your feet, your back and everything else can take a beating and how good you are in taking care of your body.

The Napoleon route is not a walk, it's a climb and a steep downhill stretch, 28Km long.

I will take the Valcarlos route or stop at Orisson any day, except when the weather is almost perfect and I feel really daring to take a risk.
Hi Jo
If the weather is good, you are reasonably fit, and you have never done it, the Napoleon. If taking that route, I would always stay in Orisson, regardless of my fitness. If the answer to any of the first is "no" (poor weather, unfit or not the first time) then the Valcarlos. I'm like @Tincatinker, having done the Napoleon a few times, I now would always take the Valcarlos. But I agree, the Napoleon is a bit of a bucket list thing.
Thank you Kanga, very useful response ☺️

• Hi John, yes, sure will do. I have watched some videos on YouTube and there was a pilgrim saying isn't as bad as one could probably think, the hardest bit is from km 4 - 6 km up steep hill then it gets better, then Orisson, this is re Napoleon Route. Will try and keep our rocksac as light as possible. Just keeping my fingers crossed re weather. We are flying from the UK to Biarritz 11 April, take a bus to Bayonne and stay there then go to SPDP the following day and aiming to start the walk the next one. Thanks so much for your help.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back