• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which route to walk for 15 days

fcarneiro

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015)
Hello, I already have my tickets to and from Madrid purchased and I have a 15-day span to spend on the Camino, in September. This means I have to choose which half of the Camino I want to walk.
Although I originally thought of starting at St. Jean and walking the second half of the Camino on a future occasion, lately I've been considering the closure sense of arriving at Santiago.
My question to you is: what do you see as pros and cons of walking the first half of the Camino versus walking the second half?
Thanks a lot and buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi
I've done both St Jean to Burgos (14 days) and Leon to Santiago (14 days though dawdled) two years apart.
Both were fantastic. If this is a one off Camino I'd suggest finishing in Santiago as that section is beautiful.
Good luck

Good question... I would do the second half... arriving to Santiago is something that I would priorize... Because perhaps you don,t know where to come baca to the Camino... I,ve made the Camino three times... And each once is different... to me, It,s a shame finishing in the middle.... You choose! This year I wanted to do the Camino again with a double goal... Practising and enjoying my english and doing the Camino... Perhaps by bike, as usual, or perhaps walking... good luck man and enjoy the experienceee!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked my first camino from Leon to Santiago because I thought it would be my one and only visit to the camino and I wanted to end in Santiago. Eighteen months later I returned to walk from Roncesvalles to Leon...and then returned 6 years later when I finally had time to walk the entire CF. I do not regret walking my camino somewhat backwards because I have found that every camino has been exactly what I needed at the time (even if it wasn't what I planned). In terms of pros and cons: If you know for sure you will be back then starting in SJPDP might be desirable as you work your way to SDC over time. However, if you aren't sure or know you won't be coming back then I highly recommend starting in Leon. Ending in Santiago is very special. On my subsequent caminos where I ended in Santiago it was still special and felt like "coming home".

Last edited:
Hello, I already have my tickets to and from Madrid purchased and I have a 15-day span to spend on the Camino, in September. This means I have to choose which half of the Camino I want to walk.
Although I originally thought of starting at St. Jean and walking the second half of the Camino on a future occasion, lately I've been considering the closure sense of arriving at Santiago.
My question to you is: what do you see as pros and cons of walking the first half of the Camino versus walking the second half?
Thanks a lot and buen Camino!
Hi , I would say begin your journey in SJPdP and see where it takes you.
Than begin the next time when you return where you ended this year .
I wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you're decided on the Camino Frances, I think your best options are those decribed by others -- SJPP to wherever you wind up or Leon-Santiago. Another thing to consider is that you could take a train/bus to Oviedo and easily walk the "entire" Camino Primitivo. That way you wouldn't have to choose between walking the "beginning" or the "end" of a Camino. Lots of good information in the Primitivo section of the forum, and as many forum members will attest, it is a spectacular camino. Buen camino, Laurie

Being realistic you are buying into an addiction, you will be back. We walked from St Jean in 2011 and thought that that was that, but we did it again in 2014. Because we are tight for time we are doing a short one from Sarria this year in September and are already planning next year again from St Jean. Run away while you can! I used to be normal, but saddly, no longer. If I were you, I would start in st Jean, because Navarra is not to be missed. I do hope that you are blessed by your experience what ever you choose, we have.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks a lot, everyone. I'm becoming more and more inclined to walk the 2nd half of Camino, but I'll sure let you guys know what I end up doing.
I hadn't considered walking a different Camino (other than the Frances) because I always took the other routes as post-Frances options, but I'll look into your suggestion, peregrina2000. I've heard good things about the Camino Primitivo!

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back