• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which route to walk if we're only doing the last 100km to Santiago?

renaissancerebecca

Time of past OR future Camino
CF x 5
CPort x 2
ViaPod x2
CamInv x 1
Hospi x 4
Hello dear pilgrims --
I've done a few caminos, but this will be the first for my husband. He wants to do the last 100km (as he can only walk for a week and wants to get a compostela) and wants to walk a route that has "cute towns." We'll be doing this in June, 2019.

So should we do the last 100km on the Francés, Portugués, Inglés, del Norté, Via de la Plata, or another?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Pelegrin makes a good suggestion, and as your husband likes cute towns, then consider starting in the Fortaleza at Valenca just over the river (literally) from Tui. It won't add much time to your day but gives the opportunity to officially start in Portugal and cross over to Spain, the border being marked on the path on the bridge by two painted boot prints half way across. Bom Caminho/Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Was a great section from Orense to Santiago on the Sanabres.

@Pelegrin makes a good suggestion, and as your husband likes cute towns, then consider starting in the Fortaleza at Valenca just over the river (literally) from Tui. It won't add much time to your day but gives the opportunity to officially start in Portugal and cross over to Spain, the border being marked on the path on the bridge by two painted boot prints half way across. Bom Caminho/Buen Camino!
I like this idea. I’d add that both Valenca and Tui are wonderful towns. It’s worth spending a day in these towns before departing. The fort in Valenca and the Cathedral in Tui are both special.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello dear pilgrims --
I've done a few caminos, but this will be the first for my husband. He wants to do the last 100km (as he can only walk for a week and wants to get a compostela) and wants to walk a route that has "cute towns." We'll be doing this in June, 2019.

So should we do the last 100km on the Francés, Portugués, Inglés, del Norté, Via de la Plata, or another?

I highly recommend Camino Portuguese starting in Tui Spain (Or even better across the river from Tui in Valença, Portugal). Valença is an easy 1 ½ hour train ride from Porto(great little city). Once you reach Pontevedra, you can opt to take the Variente Spiritual which includes the Pedra e Aqua section (Stone and Water) which is my very favorite section on the Camino, CP or CF!

Hello dear pilgrims --

Can't help myself beeing curious , wich Camino's did you walked ??

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Peter, the member's list of Caminos walked and service as hospitalera is below her photograph.

Hello dear pilgrims --

Frances.

Hello Peter, the member's list of Caminos walked and service as hospitalera is below her photograph.
At the moment I'am only using my smartfone and than it's not under the picture.
She walked the CF , CP and VdP and than asked for " cute towns " in the CF , CP and VdP and some more that make me curious.
A bit strange.
Wish you well , Peter .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for all these suggestions! Yes, I've done a few Caminos -- CF, CP, and the VP is the Via Podiensis, which is the Le Puy route -- not sure how it's abbreviated on here. The reason I'm asking about the last 100km is that I've really only walked two routes into Santiago -- CP and CF. I know there are quite a few others, and I wanted to hear from others -- those who've done those routes and those who've done other routes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I highly recommend Camino Portuguese starting in Tui Spain (Or even better across the river from Tui in Valença, Portugal). Valença is an easy 1 ½ hour train ride from Porto(great little city). Once you reach Pontevedra, you can opt to take the Variente Spiritual which includes the Pedra e Aqua section (Stone and Water) which is my very favorite section on the Camino, CP or CF!
I've never hear of this Pedra e Aqua section -- will look into that!

I agree with the Valença/Tui suggestion. I have not walked the Spiritual Variant, but seems to be a lovely change if you have already walked CP.

And how not to love walking there when you get amazing food at the end of the day? :D Food on CP was SO MARVELOUS.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think we have to do something about CP here on the forum.
Is it Camino Primitivo or Caminho Portugues???

What about CPr and CPo? It's the easiest.
And you can add coastal as CPoC etc.

EDIT: Same with CI: is it Camino de Invierno or Camino Ingles, although Invierno could be CdI...

Ourense to Santiago is my vote too. Although I'm one of the weird people who loves Sarria to Santiago on the CF.

Can you tell me why? Thank you!
Several reasons: first, it is a traditional "complete" Camino rather than just a segment in that it is the route followed by pilgrims from the British Isles that took a ship to Spain and then walked on to Santiago. Also, it is typically not busy and I enjoy the contemplative time. The terrain is quite varied with nice cities and beautiful country-side. The traditional course schedule allows an early - about noon - entry into Santiago on the last day allowing plenty of time to see the sites, settle in, and just bathe in the accomplishment.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.