• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which route to walk this fall?

gml

Time of past OR future Camino
PAST: Frances, Le Puy, Portuguese from Lisbon
I have walked the Camino Frances and the Via Podiensis (Le Puy route) and would like to walk another this fall. Any recommendations for long-ish routes that have an abundance of natural paths away from cars (as opposed to road walking); the possibility of quiet solitude (but not isolation); more sunny days than rainy days (yes, I know that's a ridiculous expectation, but am thinking that coastal routes may be rainier than inland); and a sense of pilgrimage and history (not just a “hike.”)? The CF has all of these things in abundance, but I would like to take a new path -- and it need not lead to Santiago. I would like to walk for at least three weeks, probably more. Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've walked the same two you did, and have chosen the Via Francigena from Lucca to Rome for my next camino. Based on your criteria, and my best guesses, I think it would be a potential fit:

Natural paths away from cars - I get the impression there will be more road walking than in France, but less than in Spain
More sunny days than rainy days - check
Quiet solitude but not isolation - I think so
A sense of pilgrimage and history - oh my yes!
Three weeks or more - it's about 20 days of walking, not including rest stops

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for these excellent suggestions. Oddly, I've always thought of the Via Francigena as a 3200-km all-or-nothing proposition, but what a great idea to walk just the last few hundred kms into Rome -- probably through beautiful villages and countryside, too. I wonder if it would be even more lovely in the spring? And, Nick, re: the interesting idea of the Salvador-Primitivo combo, I wonder if my nearly 70-year-old knees would make it up and down the hills of the Salvador. Did you find it strenuous?

You've both given me lots of look into and to ponder. Thank you!

And, Nick, re: the interesting idea of the Salvador-Primitivo combo, I wonder if my nearly 70-year-old knees would make it up and down the hills of the Salvador. Did you find it strenuous?
Yes, it is strenuous (and the Primitivo is reasonably strenuous too) so I definitely wouldn't underestimate that aspect of it. @peregrina2000 walked part of that combo last year in her 70s so maybe she can give a better summation of what it's like?

I can tell you right now, having finished the Primitivo yesterday and walked maybe half of the Salvador: both are difficult, but the Salvador can be impossible in really bad weather. Take care.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back