• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which route?

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
We have walked from Astorga to Santiago.....and after only a few days of walking we were saying we would have to come back and do SJPdP to Astorga. However, as we walked up to the cathedral we decided that really is the best place to finish! We were somewhat interested in walking the meseta and so we thought we could do SJPdP to Leon and then zip up to the north route....but when we started looking at that it seemed that the whole of the north route is well worth doing, so maybe we should just start in Irun and be done with it! What would you do?
(Actually to be honest I'm really wodnering if we could wrangle three months away from our southern winter to start in Le Puy, but we'd need to decide where to from SJPdP - Fances + Norte or just go straight up to the coast?)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I fear we have yet another case of Camino Addiction (Camino Adjectio in medical terms). :D Buen Camino!

tyrrek said:
I fear we have yet another case of Camino Addiction (Camino Adjectio in medical terms). :D Buen Camino!
Agreed, & there is only one remedy............. :wink:
However maybe you just have a permanent travel bug!

Going to Keswick(lakes not york'e) today to climb Helvellyn tomorrow?
images

Have camped @ Red Tarn(that little bit of water) with my 2 daughters on more green times, with a sheep trying to get into the tent :mrgreen:

The Camino is wonderful, & so is........Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm sure you would like to do all of the Camino Frances! The first 10 days from St Jean are really special - and the meseta is magical.

Why not start at St Jean and walk to Astorga then travel to el Ferrol (via a stop at Lugo) and walk the Camino Ingles to Santiago and then on to Finisterre.

5 Alsa buses a day go from Astorga to Lugo. Lugo is worth an overnight visit - the 3rd C Roman walls that encircle the city are the most intact in western Europe.

You gotta walk to the End of the World!!!

Hi, kiwi-family,
You certainly have a lot of options, and I don't know how you'll choose! If you want to walk St. Jean to Leon, you could walk the 120 kms north to Oviedo on the Salvador and from there to Santiago on the Camino primitivo. That combination is really terrific, but I don't know if the elevation gains would be too strenuous for the littlest ones. As albergues are being opened with some frequency, you can find ways to do it with shorter distances, but there is no way to avoid the elevation gain. If the elevation were too great for some, it's a short bus or train ride to Oviedo, and you could walk from there to Santiago on the Primitivo. You should look at that section of the forum, because there are lots of good posts there on stages and accommodations. Tia Valeria and Tio Tel have walked the Primitivo in shorter stages and have offered a lot of help to those who want to walk this beautiful route without the long distances. The primitivo is an absolutely wonderful camino, perhaps my favorite. It has incredible scenery, great albergues, and just enough pilgrims (neither too many nor too few). It also goes through the lovely little city of Lugo with its Roman walls in tact.

Another option would be the Via de la Plata from Sevilla, or if that's too long a distance, you could start in either Merida or Caceres. The Vdlp in springtime is a wildflower wonderland, it has lots of flat walking up till Zamora, and from there you hit some elevation gain. It is also one of my favorites because the cities of Sevilla, Merida, Caceres, Salamanca, Zamora, and Ourense are all wonderful places to spend some time, just loaded with history from the Moorish rule onward. There are a couple of places with long stages but creative work-arounds are possible.

I have many wonderful memories of stunning seacost scenery on the norte. It hugs the coast (or stays more or less close to the coast) until Ribadeo and then moves southward through Galicia. Lots of pretty tourist towns on this route, since it's on the coast. And the cities of San Sebastián, Santander, and Bilbao are all great. Lots of people here have walked it more recently than I and can offer more recent advice.

As you saw from your question on another post, the LePuy-St. Jean part is more expensive for lodging and food. But beautiful as well, so I just don't know how you will choose!

There are other possibilities as well, but the less travelled caminos are likely to have little if any infrastructure, meaning private pensiones most of the time. They tend to be on the low side for an individual, in the 15-20 euro range, but multiplied by your numbers it would really be quite expensive.

I'm sure others will have other suggestions to add, so hang on! Buen camino, Laurie

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back